Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring on the heat Beast 3.0

FREE AGENCY (Uncapped year)

O.J. Otogwe, FS, Rams- Gotta bring him back, he is playmaker that's hard to find

Ben Watson, TE, Patriots- Good receiver and Red Zone threat, gives alot of matchup problems and just another weapon the Rams need

Rashad Jeanty, OLB, Bengals- RFA, but the Bengals are deep enough to let him go. He will start at SLB and move Vobora to WLB where he is better suited

Chester Taylor, RB, Vikings- He is getting old in RB years, but he still gets it done. Ogobonaya has a very similar skill set and Taylor backs up S-Jax and helps groom Ogbonaya in his mold.

Chris Redman, QB, Falcons- Devaney will go for a QB he knows to be his backup. Redman is old, but he gives you just as much as Bulger at a much cheaper price and is only 2 years older.

Karl Paymah, CB, Vikings- Vikes have depth at CB so Paymah walks. He will get a shot to start, but will probably be the nickel back with a healthy Flethcer and Bartell starting.

Draft

1. Jimmy Claussen, QB, Notre Dame

Before you click the X because this isn't Suh, here me out. He is Franchise QB. He has the accuracy and the arm. He make things work in the pocket when in trouble. He can rally his team in the 4th quarter. The most underacted aspect about his games and is one the most important part of any QB is his toughness. He is tough and played through an injury that required surgery and still put up excellent numbers. He lead one of the best offenses in the NCAA, but on the other side his defense let him down and that reflected in the record. I am assuming Claussen wows Devaney and company on tape, in his interviews, and in April Work outs. They will be convinced he is franchise QB and decide to pass on Suh. If they can get a trade down with the Bucs they'll take it and still get that their guy. Cards put up 51 against the second best defense in the league just think about that and the fact that they are in our division.

2. Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech.

The Rams could go D-Line here, but the Rams are in desperate need for elite type playmakers on offense and Jimmy Claussen needs weapons. 6'3 230 and a great blocker. He is raw as a receiver, but he has all the tools to be a Brandon Marshall type of player. Even in the triple option he found ways to make big plays as receiver. Laurant Robinson has the size and speed to be a great number 2 opposite Thomas as long as he stays healthy. The Rams offense will be young and explosive with Thomas, Robinson, Claussen, and S-Jax and a solid line when healthy. Unless Kurt Warner Retires you are going to have to score points to win the division. 51 points on the second best defense in the NFL?!?! Is that a joke

3. Lamar Houston, DT, Texas

DT is the deepest position in this draft. Houston is great penetrating UT who will get in the backfield and get some sacks. He and Clifton Ryan will be a great duo, with Scott and Carriker coming off the bench. Ryan top 3 among DTs in tackles for loss one of the most underatted players in all of the NFL. Houston, Ryan, and Scott with a rapidly developing Chris Long under the tutelage of Spags could be a great young line

4. Austen Lane, DE, Murray State

Could be the final piece to Spags great young line. He will start off as a situational guy, but has tremendous pass rush skills. He could go high as the late second, but I think he will fall like another 1AA DE Lawrence Sidburry did

5. Perry Riley, OLB, LSU

Fast athletic LB, who would come instantly and fight Vobora for his spot. At least he is good depth and a special teamer.

5. Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale

6'8 320 and athletic. Dominated D2 and was the best lineman in all of D2. He will learn behind Goldberg who will be a stop gap at tackle once again. Smith, Bell, Brown, Grecco/Setterstrom, and Veldheer will do a great job blocking for S-Jax and protecting Claussen for years.

6. Van Eskridge, S, Eastern Carolina

Center fielder more of a cover safety. Adds another dimension to the Rams safety crew also a special teamer.

7. Reggie Stephens, OG, Iowa State

Big Physical guard. Did a great job against Suh, he is a steal this low. Great depth especially if our guards end up getting banged up again.

7. Chris Cook, CB, Virginia

Big Physical corner with good ball skills. Seeing the Rams CB don't have any ball skills he could help out. He will compete for the Dime job with Justin King and Quincy Butler.

Re: Bring on the heat Beast 3.0

I love it. I am a little disappointed without Suh of course, since I'm wearing the Suh hats and all, but you make valid points. Remember, if we can't get Suh and end up taking Claussen, there is always Fred Robbins from New York we may be able to sign on our team via Free Agency.

I love it!

Comment

I like this draft, I feel we could have picked a DT in Round 2, and WR in Round 3. But I absolutely love the Jimmy Clausen pick!

Comment

If Jahvid Best Or Golden Tate Are There At The Top Of Round 2 Do We Take Any Of Them Over Demaryius Thomas? If The Rams Are Gonna Take Clausen They Have To Trade Down or Else Its A Waste To Draft Clausen So High. Heres A Video That Made Me Fall In Love With Golden Tate And Jimmy Clausen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkqYq7yLIyY

Golden Tate Will Eisely Make Me Forget On Passing Up Desean Jackson
        Last edited by AlwaysBackwards; -01-11-2010, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Do you guys think that Clausen is so "outrageously talented" that there will not be another like him next year? Year after? Seriously?
          There's no need to rush to pick a QB until there is an obvious choice. Cuz if Clausen does not live up to the franchise name tag, that's the end of this regime, the rams, etc. We'll fall apart again, just as we're trying to pick up all the pieces.
          Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -01-11-2010, 05:10 AM.

Comment

I agree with TOL, Clausen does not offer talent enough to pass on Suh. Suh has a once-in-a-generation talent.
            A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
              Do you guys think that Clausen is so "outrageously talented" that there will not be another like him next year? Year after? Seriously?
              There's no need to rush to pick a QB until there is an obvious choice. Cuz if Clausen does not live up to the franchise name tag, that's the end of this regime, the rams, etc. We'll fall apart again, just as we're trying to pick up all the pieces.
              We've skipped a franchise QB the last damn years. We cannot afford to waste another year with crap for future at QB.

Clausen is a great player and would help us tremendously.

He's my #1.

Reggie Bush was once and a lifetime talent as well * rolls eyes *. I'm not sold on Suh ( health lack of technique for NFL )
              Last edited by RamsFan16; -01-11-2010, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I would draft Austen Lane, only if he reacted the same way as that photo when we picked him.

Comment

IMO the Rams have waited long enough to get a Franchise QB. If you want to rebuild you are going to have to get one. The point in selecting Claussen is that you are as sure as possible that he will live up to the billing. Is there a guy in pro style offense who is going to put up a 7:1 TD to interception ratio in the future, IMO no thats not going to happen. Outrageously talented on Peyton Mannings level? No not that, but I think he can be a Aaron Rodgers or even a Drew Brees type of QB and that is why you select him.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysBackwards View Post
                    If Jahvid Best Or Golden Tate Are There At The Top Of Round 2 Do We Take Any Of Them Over Demaryius Thomas? If The Rams Are Gonna Take Clausen They Have To Trade Down or Else Its A Waste To Draft Clausen So High. Heres A Video That Made Me Fall In Love With Golden Tate And Jimmy Clausen

YouTube - Golden Tate-ND

Golden Tate Will Eisely Make Me Forget On Passing Up Desean Jackson
                    Tate would be the pick if available, but I could see him being the second WR off the board behind Dez Bryant.

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
                      We've skipped a franchise QB the last damn years. We cannot afford to waste another year with crap for future at QB.

Clausen is a great player and would help us tremendously.

He's my #1.

Reggie Bush was once and a lifetime talent as well * rolls eyes *. I'm not sold on Suh ( health lack of technique for NFL )

I understand your concern. We've made a lot of dumb draft mistakes. That's why I'm hesitant to slap our franchise tag on just any 'ol QB. I want a QB that is the undisputed best player of a draft. I don't want a 70 million dollar bust.

Forget about Suh. You actually think Clausen is irreplaceable? Say he was in last year's draft, you would take Clausen over Stafford or Sanchez?
                      Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -01-11-2010, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I'd take him over Sanchez and it'd be a coin flip for Clausen/Stafford. Stafford has great arm strength and good accuracy. Clausen has amazing accuracy and good arm strength.

Comment

Love the Austen Lane pick. I got him in a mock that I'm working on too. Would rather see us grab a corner before another safety though, otherwise looks pretty solid.

I'm hoping the Rams will play up drafting Suh quite a bit though and maybe fish for a trade because I believe that Clausen would still be there at 3 maybe even all the way down to 5 if we can trade down. I

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
                            I'd take him over Sanchez and it'd be a coin flip for Clausen/Stafford.
                            Okay... you're entitled to your own opinion. Personally, I dont think Clausen is better than Sanchez or Stafford. If he was down further, maybe around 10, he'd be worth consideration.

I'm of the opinion we need to plug other holes first before we pay a guy 70 million dollars to get hammered. A QB can't do much when people don't block and people don't catch.
                            Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -01-11-2010, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Okay... you're entitled to your own opinion. Personally, I dont think Clausen is better than Sanchez or Stafford. If he was down further, maybe around 10, he'd be worth consideration.

I'm of the opinion we need to plug other holes first before we pay a guy 70 million dollars to get hammered. A QB can't do much when people don't block and people don't catch.
                              Win.

That is my biggest concern. I was skeptical about Stafford being picked by Detroit last year. I like the kid, he's one of the players I keep a close eye on. But we saw this year, his defense let up a ton of points against them and he was getting clobbered day in, day out.

If I'm investing 60 million in someone, they need to contribute day one. Frankly, I don't think Jimmy will do that for us. Ndamukong, on the other hand, will.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 39thebeast
                                Who need the combine beast 3.1
                                by 39thebeast
                                Free Agency(Uncapped Year)

O.J. Otogwe, FS, Rams- Great Playmakers are hard to find you have to keep them when you have one

Ben Watson, TE, Patriots- Hands are iffy at times, but when he does hold on he is a playmaker. He wasn't really used in the pats system, but we could really use him here.

Lito Sheppard, CB, Jets- With a huge Bonus coming Sheppard will be released. He isn't the player he was when Spags was coaching, but he will get a shot here. He will step in until Fletcher is good to go then he will move to the nickel.

Chad Pennington, QB, Dolphins- Cheaper version of Bulger.

Antwan Barnes, OLB, Ravens(RFA)- Ravens are deep at LB, and at times weren't high on Barnes, so they'll let him go. Barnes is hard hitter and good pass rusher and would be a good fit at SLB.

Zach Strief, OT, Saints
                                (RFA)-
                                There RT Stinchcomb is signed long term. They will focus on retaining Bushrod and Jamal Brown their 2 options at LT. Strief is a massive Tackle and could come in to compete with Grecco, Settersttom, and Goldberg for the 2 spots on the right side
                                DRAFT
                                1. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

This picks could still be Jimmy Claussen, but IMO Bradford and Clausen are really close right now so i'll switch it up. Bradford is accurate and extremely intelligent. he has the height and leadership qualities you look for in a good QB. He hasn't faced alot of adversity, but where he can really make headway is in the interview room.

2. Brandon Lafell, WR, LSU

6'3 'Big physical receiver with good hands. He isn't the fastest guy but he is physical, a good route runner, and has great body control. He doesn't have the upside of Arrelious Benn or Demaryius Thomas, but he has the same physical style and he is much more polished as a receiver. His greatest strength is his redzone ability where he uses his length and body control to win battles in the endzone.

3. Lamar Houston, DT, Texas

DT is this Drafts deepest position. Houston is a legit second round prospect, but the deep draft pushes him. Houston specializes in penetration and sacking the QB one of the weakness of our current DTs. Spags will use his rotation to the fullest extent to maximize the talents of all our young DTs.

4. AJ Edds, OLB, Iowa

One of the best cover backers in the draft. All areas of his game are polished and he is the physical heavy hitter spags likes in his LBs. He is ready to start instantly at WLB especially on this team.

5. Lindsey Witten, DE, UCONN

Witten is a pure pass rusher who needs to polish the rest of his game, but he has a ton of upside. He will start of as a situational pass rusher and will have time to learn behind...
                                -02-02-2010, 09:09 PM
                              • 39thebeast
                                Beastly off season
                                by 39thebeast
                                Free Agents
                                O.J. Otogwe, FS, Rams- Top 5 FS in the league lock him up

Darryl Tapp, DE, Seahawks- Anyone else remember that 3 or 4 sack performance he had against us a couple years back? Tapp is a really good pass rusher mired in a deep rotation that has Patrick Kerney. For his size it is surprising how good he is against the run and athletic enough to get a good pass rush. Wont be overly expensive and will give you bang for your buck. He will start at RE so Long can play LE

Tony Schefler, TE, Broncos- Great receiving TE he can even split out and play some WR. 6-5 great redzone target. Look at his stats he wont get as big of pay day as some think

Brandon Johnson, WLB, Bengals- 6'5 243 former DE, perfect Spags LB.

Jerious Norwood, RB, Falcons- Devaney drafted this guy because he is explosive in all aspects of the game. Because he is an excellent receiver he and S-Jax can be on the field at the same time. His injuries and inability to run inside will hold him back from getting a huge pay day, but also make him perfect for a complementary role behind S-Jax. After getting trucked by S-Jax Norwood can run by you with his 10 to 15 touches a game

Karl Paymah, CB, Vikings- Good size, good tackler, and pretty good in coverage. Could play RCB until Flethcer is healthy then move to the nickel.

Zach Strief, OT, Saints- 6'7 330 4 career starts small sampling becuase Saints are deep on the line. I think our line has improve drastically and we need some continuity to take it to the next lvl. LT Smith, LG Bell, C Brown, RG Goldberg/Setterstrom, RT Grecco/Strief.

Restricted Free Agents
                                Clifton Ryan, DT, Rams (Tender)
                                Craig Dahl, S, Rams (Resign)
                                Mark Setterstrom, OG, Rams (Resign)

Draft

1. Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame-

Has been the best QB in college Football. Accurate with and above average arm, but what I like are the intangibles. Tough as nails, great leader, cool under pressure, and he is at his best in the 4th quarter.

2. Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame-

We need a number 1 guy why not Jimmy Clausen's favorite target right now. Alot of people would prefer a bigger guy but there is no one better when the ball is up in the air. He has the best hands in the draft and he goes up and grabs everything. Pretty good size 5-11 195 and does alot of damage after the catch. He has had only 1 game without a TD, 2 not over 100 yards receiving.

3. Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke-

Good size 6'5 305, extremely athletic, and strong. Recorded six sacks last year, but has been banged up this year. Coming back from injury has a had a sack in the last 2 games. Perfect fit at UT in this system. A little raw, but Spags system and the heavy rotation he employs will help him develop

4. Micah Johnson, LB,...
                                -10-31-2009, 09:17 PM
                              • 39thebeast
                                Pre Bowl Mock draft
                                by 39thebeast
                                Free Agents
                                O.J. Otogwe, FS, Rams- Gotta bring him back. One of the better play making safeties in the league

Thomas Howard, OLB, Raiders- Great LB, fast(plays for all Davis what do you expect) big hitter, decent pass rusher. Where he excels in comparison to other LBs is coverage. As a former safety he has the size and speed to perfectly match up against TE's. Rams don't know how to cover TE's so this will help. The Raiders don't know what they are doing so his stats have gone down playing more on the strong side. He is a pure WLB and would be a good compliment to Lauranatis.

Tavaris Jackson, QB, Vikings- He has got potential, mobility for the system, and has learned to make better decisions. He is starting right now if Brett Farve was a decisive person. Are the Vikings still 11-2? Maybe

Tony Schefler, TE, Broncos-
                                Really underutilized in Denver, will lower asking price. Ton of talent as receiver exactly what the rams need in the red zone and passing game in general.

Zach Strief, OT, Saints-
                                last thing the Rams want to do is spend another boatload of cash on another offensive lineman. Strief great size 6'7 325 cheaper option who could surprise at RT. Goldberg really played his best at RG he will start their for now.

Karl Paymah, CB, Vikings-
                                Bigger more physical corner spags wants. Can start until Fletcher comes back then be a really good nickel

Leonard Little, DE, Rams
                                - Brought back cheap 1 year deal, provides a pass rush until a younger guy develops.

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska-

Beast what can I say. A line with Long, Ryan, Suh, and a RE. Great young defensive line, with the potential to be dominant.

2. Colt McCoy, QB, Texas

Mobil, great leader. He will definately need some time to transition from the spread to a pro style offense. Might not have the arm, but he has the intangibles to be a good QB.

3. Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri

Big receiver the Rams currently don't have. 6-5 with great hands and is definately a threat in the red zone. Beastly local Mizzou boy. Adds another element to what our other young guys offer.

4. Danny Batten, DE, South Dakota State

After raiding the big 12 from its best players the Rams go to South Dakota State. Batten one of the best pass rushers in D II. Future at RE and will instantly rotate in as a pass rusher. With Long, Ryan, Suh if Batten develops. Dare I say it fearsome foursome part deux?

5. Vladimir Ducase, OL, Massachusetts

Plays LT at Massachusetts, but would probably play guard or RT in the pros. 6-5 330 he is a behemoth. Great run blocker and good in pass protection. Probably would be the future at RG since Goldberg is only signed through...
                                -12-15-2009, 11:26 PM
                              • Ramblin` Ram
                                FootballsFuture Mock 1st round draft.
                                by Ramblin` Ram
                                2010 NFL Mock Draft
                                By: Robert Davis | Updated: 10/20

1.St. Louis - Jake Locker, QB, Washington
                                Locker has had a meteoric rise up the draft boards this year, and he should continue to rise with more experience in a pro style attack. He has the best blend of natural talent of any of the QBís this year, along with the toughness and leadership skills. This may be a bit high as of October, but expect Locker to continue to rise and really impress in the post season should he declare.

2.Tampa Bay - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
                                McCoy is a playmaker on the interior line and players like that will always be in high demand. He could draw a lot of attention at the top overall spot, but the Bucs would love to bring in a player that can impact a game from the DT spot like Warren Sapp once did in Tampa.

3.Kansas City - Eric Berry, DB, Tennessee
                                Berry is arguably the best player in this draft, and a player with his versatility would fit in well with any team. He could play any spot in the secondary and be a pro bowl caliber performer. The Chiefs could use some playmaking ability on the offensive side of the ball or a pass rusher on defense, but Berry is too good to pass up at this spot.

4.Oakland - Everson Griffen, DE/OLB, USC
                                Al Davis has shown to take a liking to players from USC and players who have extraordinary speed for their position. Enter Everson Griffen. His speed for a 270+ lber is amazing. He tops the 270lb mark, but has tremendous speed and athleticism and should have no problem standing up and playing in space. Donít rule out another Trojan, Taylor Mays, for the same reasons even if they drafted a safety in the second round last year and Michael Huff appears to be coming on.

5.Cleveland - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
                                Just over a year ago, Cleveland had two highly regarded QBís. Now, theyíre looking for a long term answer as both Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn have not been able to take hold of the starting position. There are a lot of needs throughout the roster, but you wonít get anywhere without a QB. Bradford has had shoulder problems, but itís not considered a long term issue.

6.Tennessee - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
                                Suh may not be quite as physically imposing as Albert Haynesworth but he is a force to be reckoned with on the defensive line. Suh is very active and can clog running lanes and get into the backfield and disrupt the action.

7.Detroit - Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma St.
                                There is hope in Detroit. A solid draft last year has at least given the Lions hope for the future. Giving last years top overall pick Matthew Stafford blindside protection is a big concern, as Jeff Backus is up there in age and average at best anyway.

8.Buffalo - Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
                                The Bills did a decent job upgrading the talent on the interior offensive line in the...
                                -10-22-2009, 09:19 AM
                              • Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                                Making the Case for Clausen
                                by Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                                Personally, ill probably lose popularity for this, but i wanna grab Clausen over Suh at this point. I want us to trade down a few spots and pick up another 2nd round pick (or first round if humanly possible) and grab him. I love Suh just as much as the next guy but he wont get us a passing offense....and we still don't know what we have in Carriker, Ryan has been solid as well. Long has definitely come along and will hold down the LE spot, and hopefully we can pick up another DE in the second round or through FA.

The rams will quite simply continue to fail utterly without a quarterback and this was as plain as day in our most recent failure against the *****. Shut the ***** out of the game for 3 quarters!!! Then let them poor it on in the last quarter because no doubt our defense got gassed, and the ***** were able to pull it out because they have an offense and we don't..

Give us a quarterback that can make all the throws (love him or not: Clausen can make all the throws) and we have a chance to win that ball game. I'm not knocking Null because i understand his situation, but you put a Warner (who Clausen reminds me of sort of, with a bigger arm) and you convert those field goals in the points. Broad assumption but i think its at least reasonable to say, despite our horrible o-line woes, Clausen with his quick release could have converted a lot more of those third downs with less arid throws and accidents.

Making the Case for ClausenStrengths: Solid size and adequate bulk
                                Very good arm strength; can fit balls into tight windows
                                Extremely quick, snappy release
                                Great accuracy
                                Nice hip torque on throws
                                Gets rid of ball quickly
                                Very decisive with the football
                                Takes what defense gives him; doesn't force ball/will throw away
                                Elite football IQ
                                Great touch
                                Well versed in NFL offense
                                Good sense of timing
                                Will step up/out of pocket
                                Knows how to read coverage
                                Sees the entire field; great vision
                                Very polished for a true junior
                                Shown outstanding development from freshman to junior season
                                Extremely intelligent
                                Ice in his veins; great poise
                                Mentally tough; plays through pain
                                Big leader
                                Confident
                                Film room rat
                                Elite intangibles
                                Good genetics and very well coached
                                Spent 3.5 years in a West Coast offense

Weaknesses:
                                Does a poor job of selling play action
                                Footwork used to be a bit shoddy, has improved
                                Not a fluid athlete
                                Personality might come off as abrasive
                                Sometimes gets too much air under fade route
                                Lacks a little pocket awareness

We want less rookie down time because we need wins NAO; this guy is the most pro ready quarterback in this years draft EASY.

Interesting tid bit on Clausen's stats Ive found.

-01-04-2010, 08:31 AM
                              Working...
                              X