Just curous ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curous ..

Anyone think we should forgo drafting a QB this year, and instead use all our picks to build a team around the QB first? We could bring in a FA QB, and use all our picks to get more weapons on both sides of the ball so that when we do draft a QB he'd have more talent around him enhancing his chances for success .. Just curious ..

Re: Just curous ..

I agree 100% although I wouldn't mind getting Colt McCoy in the 2nd but it all depends on how many holes we fill in free agency and whose still on the board with our 2nd round pick.
    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

i like lefevour in round 3-4...i dont think mccoy drops to round 2 with mallett and locker and possibly more guys staying in college. unless we trade down it looks like we're going to have to sign a guy through free agency and either groom lefevour/null or put it off another year.

Comment

I really don't want to keep pushing this back year after year... Being the top pick of almost every round in a fairly deep QB class, I think now is the time for us to grab a QB.

Comment

Originally posted by molar_pistol View Post
          i like lefevour in round 3-4...i dont think mccoy drops to round 2 with mallett and locker and possibly more guys staying in college. unless we trade down it looks like we're going to have to sign a guy through free agency and either groom lefevour/null or put it off another year.

Exactly the way I feel. I like LeFevour. Bulger, if healthy and surrounded by talent can win in this league. Plus we need to hire a dedicated QB coach who can groom a new QB. Jim Zorn anyone?

Go Rams!

Comment

Maui, this is what I have been saying for weeks...kind of. I really don't think we need to bring in a FA starter at QB, IF, and only IF we can get Bulger to renegotiate his contract to a more reasonable level...something that won't cost us much unless he puts up some 2004-2006 era numbers. If we did have to pick up a FA QB, I'd start looking at Jeff Garcia first.
            temp_4394_1467243487543_20
            RAMS!

Comment

The past few rookie QB's who have been successful have had good teams they can walk into.

I believe that if we can snag a QB in round two or three, without another player that can contribute immediately, we should do that.

Other wise, I truly believe its important to build around the QB.

Comment

Jeff Garcia is a choice i had forgotten but really wouldnt mind bringing in. I love the guy, im just concerned about his age and deep ball ability. I really want a qb that can chuck that sucker deep to hit donnie avery on one of those suckers

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
                  Anyone think we should forgo drafting a QB this year, and instead use all our picks to build a team around the QB first?..
                  If anything, we should build the "D" in this draft:

Suh
                  best DE in round two
                  Edds
                  best CB in round four
                  etc

There's loads of defensive depth in this year's draft, so let's get that side sorted first and look at the "O" in 2011.

Comment

I agree! It doesnt really matter if we get our franchise QB in this draft, we're still gonna suck and have a losing record!! Just pick the best player, which is Suh, and work on the deep defense class! We'll be in a position to pick Locker next year anyway

Comment

For me the bottom line is this -- best player available. We're not deep enough at any position to be picky and we're thin on top-line NFL talent. If the BPA happens to be a QB at a particular spot, we should choose him. If the BPA doesn't end up being a QB, then we should come out of the draft without a rookie QB.

Comment

what if the BPA in round 7 is a QB? You still want to take him so he can ride the bench as we wait yet another year for a QB?

Comment

From a post a couple weeks ago:

No QB in the draft next year.

This team still has alot of things to do before becoming a playoff caliber team. Young players maturing..............players staying healthy.

I would much rather see the Rams address other needs. If things go poorly again, which with they're luck with injuries it will, then next year they might have a shot at Locker. And that may well be the last very high pick this team sees in a while.

I think Suh in the first, then chase BPA in round 2 and 3, then needs in the rest of the draft. Continue to sign young FAs.

Whose going to play QB? Whose playing it now.

Little may retire? who knows. Let's get the rest of the base team fixed up before the QB of the future arrives. Rothsburger style.

They may not get a shot at Locker, but there will be decent QB prospects next season. I think focusing on other holes is the way to go for now. Not like the RAMs are going to be playoff contenders even if they grab a QB this draft.
                          Semper Fi!

Comment

Just wait a few years for Garret Gilbert to graduate.

Comment

I'm down with no qb this year because obviously, like all of u, i think we have too many holes for a qb to really have success. Also next year we should get mallet or locker. I think both are better than the qb's in this draft. I wouldn't b mad if we got a qb in the 3rd or 4th, but i would rather see bulger leave and get a filler in free agency.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Richbert88
                                No QB in the draft next year.
                                by Richbert88
                                This team still has alot of things to do before becoming a playoff caliber team. Young players maturing..............players staying healthy.

I would much rather see the Rams address other needs. If things go poorly again, which with they're luck with injuries it will, then next year they might have a shot at Locker. And that may well be the last very high pick this team sees in a while.

I think Suh in the first, then chase BPA in round 2 and 3, then needs in the rest of the draft. Continue to sign young FAs.

Whose going to play QB? Whose playing it now.

Little may retire? who knows. Let's get the rest of the base team fixed up before the QB of the future arrives. Rothsburger style.
                                -12-27-2009, 11:24 PM
                              • ManofGod
                                Top 5 Senior QB's
                                by ManofGod
                                According to Mel Kiper Jr., the top 5 senior QB's are as follows:

1. Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
                                2. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
                                3. Dan Lefevour, QB, Central Michigan
                                4. Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati
                                5. Sean Canfield, QB, Oregon State

I believe a few of you may be suprised by this order, and whether you are a fan of his Kiper or not, he does seem to have acces to what many NFL teams are looking for when it comes to the draft. Now this draft order is current (1/8/10), and of course we will have to wait until the combine to see who's stock falls, who's rises, and who simply falls off of the face of the earth.

Now since we have the #1 pick in almost every round, baring a monumental improvement by these five men, they will all be available in the 2nd round for us & if necessary the 3rd or 4th. Now I know many of you are Pike fans, and some of you favor McCoy or Lefevour. Some of you even believe in the magic that is Tim Tebow (as I do), but we obviously need to look towards our QB of the future. I believe we start Bulger this season for many reasons most notably being financial, but we do need to start grooming the successor.

With that being said my fellow clam members, who from these 5 men would you want behind center as the #2 or #3 QB(provided that we move Null up to #2, or pick up another free agent in the off-season)?
                                -01-08-2010, 01:34 PM
                              • The Optimistic Lamb
                                The Forgotten QB in this Draft
                                by The Optimistic Lamb
                                Colt McCoy!!!

So often on the NFl channel (and this forum) Colt McCoy gets lost between the Tebow bashing and the Suh vs Bradford hype. But what about Colt McCoy? Have you seen this guy's statistics? They're off the charts!!! If he doesn't go in the first round, how could the Rams NOT take him in the 2nd?

2009 Statistics:

470 Att / 3,521 Yards / 70.6 cmp% / 7.4 YPA / 27 TD

*Colt's 2009 stats aren't even his best year
                                Yes
                                58.33%
                                No
                                41.67%
                                -03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                The Thing That Worries Me Most About The Second Tier QBs
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                First, let me define my terms. Right now, I have the QB "tiers" as follows:

Tier 1 (First Round Prospects)
                                Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
                                Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame

Tier 2 (Second/Third Round Prospects)
                                Colt McCoy, Texas
                                Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan

Tier 3 (Fourth/Fifth Round Prospects)
                                Tony Pike, Cincinnati
                                Levi Brown, Troy
                                Jarrett Brown, West Virginia

Tier 4 (Sixth Round or later)
                                Everyone Else

Note: Before we get off on a tangent, let me say that I am aware that there are many who have Tony Pike in Tier 2 and Tim Tebow in Tier 2 or 3. Let's just agree to disagree on those.

Now... here's my worry...

Where do you value the Tier 2 QBs?

At this point, I feel as though Colt McCoy and Dan LeFevour would both be reaches at pick number 33. However, I also think there is a very good chance that both will be gone by pick number 65.

In a perfect world, the Rams woudl trade from pick 33 to a pick in the middle of the second round, get McCoy or LeFevour, and obtain an extra pick in the process. But what if such a trade is not available?

My fear is that the Rams pass on the Tier 1 QBs in Round 1, pass on the Tier 2 QBs at pick No. 33, and then find themselves at the top of Round 3 with the choice of going with a Tier 3 QB or "Door Number 2" (Bulger, Boller, Null, ???).

If the Rams share this concern, it could push them towards taking Bradford first. However, that would the wrong reason to take Bradford. If they think he's worth the first pick, then they should take him. Taking him because of need is very risky.

Its issues like this that make me glad I'm not the GM.
                                -03-03-2010, 11:15 AM
                              • richtree
                                2010 Draft Strategy
                                by richtree
                                Ok, we will be picking top 5 again at best 6th.

QB is number 1 priority.

Unless we go after Kolb, Vick, or Derek Anderson we are picking a QB in Round 1.

So is it gonna be Teabow, Bradford, or McCoy?

Then the big Question is what need to we get in round 2?

So would agrue if there is big time play maker on the defensive side of the ball we should grad a big time LB or DE that can rush the QB.

I will continue to update this thread based on who we should be looking at, and who we should avoid.

I feel we should try to grab a OLineman in free agency this year and our draft picks should be used on QB, WR, DLine, StronSide LB.

I really haven't gotten to look at who will be free agents in the league and what our options are, so this is just to spark convo throughout what looks to be a 4 win season at very best.

TBC......

-rt
                                -09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
                              Working...
                              X