A couple ideas for rebuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple ideas for rebuilding

Here are a couple separate ideas on how the Rams can improve this offseason and start building for the future. I think the first one is very realistic and the second one is a little more dream like.

First trade for Michael Vick. I think Philly picks up the option and trades him to STL for their 5th round pick they traded us in the Witherspoon trade. Very similar to a player to be named later in a baseball type trade. Something that may have been talked about when the trade first came together. So in the end that trade ends up being Vick and Gibson for Witherspoon.

Then the Rams trade pick 1.1 to TB for picks 1.3, 2.3, and 3.3

Draft day (1st round)- Suh and McCoy go 1, 2. Rams take best DE in the draft, hopefully someone like Morgan will jump up the boards after the combine.

2nd round Rams pick best LB available @ 2.1-Spikes or Weatherspoon may fall here. Pick 2.3 take the best OG available-maybe Iupati or Asamoah.

3rd Round Rams pick a DT like LaMarr Houston or D'Anthony Smith @ 3.1 and WR Danario Alexander or RB Toby Gerhart @ 3.3

4Th Round Rams take QB Colt McCoy

5th round on BPA

Team looks like this
    QB-Vick, McCoy, Null
    RB-Jackson, Darby, maybe pick 3.3 (Gerhart)
    WR-Avery, Robinson, Gibson, Maybe 3.3 (Alexander)
    TE-McMichael or F/A
    LT-Barron (resign)
    LG-Bell
    C-Brown
    RG-pick 2.3
    RT-Brown
    DE-Long, pick 1.3
    DT-Carriker, pick 3.1, Ryan rotate in
    LB-laurinaitis, pick 2.1, F/A
    CB-Bartell, Fletcher, King
    S-OJ, Butler

2nd Idea

Trade for Vick as stated in my first idea then sign Plaxico Burress. I know he’s currently in Prison, but I believe he will be released on work release by June 1.

Make the same trade with TB. Then Spags and Billy D start talking up Claussin and how they will take him at pick 1.3. They talk about him backing up Vick for a season and then starting in 2011. This forces the Redskins to make a trade with the Rams, so they can get Claussin. So Washington gives up picks 1.4 and 3.4 for pick 1.3

Heading into the Draft, the Rams have picks 1.4, 2.1, 2.3, 3.1, 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1

Pick 1.4- Rams take best DE in the draft, hopefully someone like Morgan will jump up the boards after the combine.

Pick 2.1 best LB available-Spikes or Weatherspoon may fall here. Pick 2.3 take the best OG available-maybe Iupati or Asamoah.

Pick 3.1- DT like LaMarr Houston or D'Anthony Smith Pick 3.3-WR Danario Alexander, Pick 3.4 Toby Gerhart

4Th Round Rams take QB Colt McCoy

5th round on BPA

Team looks like this
    QB-Vick, McCoy, Null
    RB-Jackson, Darby, pick 3.4 (Gerhart)
    WR-Burress, Avery, Robinson, Gibson, pick 3.3 (Alexander)
    TE-McMichael, F/A, late draft pick
    LT-Barron (resign)
    LG-Bell
    C-Brown
    RG-pick 2.3
    RT-Brown
    DE-Long, pick 1.4
    DT-Carriker, pick 3.1, Ryan rotate in
    LB-laurinaitis, pick 2.1, F/A
    CB-Bartell, Fletcher, King
    S-OJ, Butler
    Last edited by Nick; -01-23-2010, 09:10 AM.

Re: A couple ideas for rebuilding

A for effort, but even the "realistic" version seems highly unlikely to me.

Comment

I always appreciate the effort but personally there isn't a lot I like about this.

Vick as a back-up... maybe. Vick as a starter... never.

I don't mind trading down but if we pass on Suh only to pick another position on the DL ... I won't be a happy camper.

Tampa won't give up that much and I don't see Washington giving up that much with Bradford still on the board.

I seriously doubt Colt McCoy drops to the 4th round.

Last but not least I'm going to suggest we don't sign anyone that will miss the first camp because they are in prison.

But I do like LaMarr Houston.

Comment

1. Vick is bad. See numerous other threads on this topic for details.
        2. Right now a lot of people have McCoy as the third best QB in this draft. Even if Bradford, Clausen, Pike, Snead, and Tebow all go before him, I'm still not sure he'd last through the first three rounds.
        3. It's just speculation at this point that the Redskins would covet Clausen. Bradford is the guy everyone wanted last season

Comment

Originally posted by Rambunctious View Post
          I always appreciate the effort but personally there isn't a lot I like about this.
          Same thing I was thinking. The effort is appreciated, but I don't find either scenario particularly realistic or enticing. To name a few reasons, I'm not a Vick fan and certainly wouldn't like trading for him. I don't think guys like Burress or Spikes fit the character profile of this team. I don't like the idea of trading down and passing on Suh who is great value at the top of the draft in order to hope a DE of lesser value improves his stock enough to be a good pick @ third overall. I think it's possible McCoy may slide but fourth round is a bit of a stretch at this point, IMO. And if the Rams are going to use a pick on the OL, I'd rather it be at OT than OG because I think we at least have some personnel at guard.
          Last edited by Nick; -01-23-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

First trade for Michael Vick. I think Philly picks up the option and trades him to STL for their 5th round pick they traded us in the Witherspoon trade. Very similar to a player to be named later in a baseball type trade. Something that may have been talked about when the trade first came together. So in the end that trade ends up being Vick and Gibson for Witherspoon.

I think that was the plan all along, like it or not. New ownership might change that however.

So if you have Vick, 2nd pick, and Null at QB. Whoever plays better starts. Cheapest way to get a new face at QB IMO, and most importantly we will be a BALL CONTROL offense and so the QB position is more of a dont screw up, than a make a big play offense. There have been a ton of crappy QBs that make that work.

Get Suh PERIOD!

The rest of the draft I trust DeSpags eye to get what they can.They were dragging out POSSIBLE gems all last season from other teams.

Throw the FARM at Vincent Jackson to pry him away from SD, he the absolute best #1 to have in our system IMO.

Get a FA backup RB, a good one, while Darby and Samkon can find work somewhere else. OB is 3rd RB.

After the Suh pick I would spend the entire draft on Offensive needs. LBs are something I think we can wait or STAND PAT with for now.If we get Suh the DL will be so competitive I think we will see results from game 1. Youngest DL in the NFL.

Oh well, we shall see how it all plays out.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsSB99
              We could buy a good free agent with an extra 14 million in cap space.
              by RamsSB99
              If we cut Holt (8mil) and Pace (6mil) we could save 14 million. That's what's not guaranteed in their contracts. If we draft Andre Smith we could have Jacob Bell, John Greco, and Alex Barron compete for the RT spot. We have to replace Pace soon anyway.

The extra 14 million could buy us a good free agent and possibly a lesser one.

Some possible 2009 Free Agents (don't include people that might get cut from teams)

Free Agents:
              DT
              Albert Haynesworth 6-5/320
              Rocky Bernard 6-3/290
              Jovan Haye 6-2/295
              DE
              Terrell Suggs 6-3/260
              Julius Peppers 6-7/283
              Chris Canty 6-7/300
              MLB
              Karlos Dansby 6-4/240
              Jonathan Vilma 6-1/230
              Channing Crowder 6-2/247
              CB
              Nnamdi Asomugha 6-2/210
              Chris Gamble 6-1/200
              Dunta Robinson 5-10/184
              Ronald Bartell Jr. 6-1/205
              S
              Jermaine Phillips 6-1/214
              Oshiomogho Atogwe 5-11/210
              Sean Jones 6-1/215

QB
              Matt Cassel 6-5/225
              Rex Grossman 6-1/217
              Kyle Boller 6-3/220
              Chris Simms 6-4/220
              J.P. Losman 6-2/212
              Byron Leftwich 6-5/250
              WR
              T.J. Houshmandzadeh 6-1/199
              Bryant Johnson 6-3/211
              Antonio Bryant 6-1/205
              Ashley Lelie 6-3/195
              OG
              Stacy Andrews 6-7/342
              Richie Incognito 6-3/305
              C
              Matt Birk 6-4/309
              Jeff Saturday 6-2/295
              Jason Brown 6-3/320
              Eric Heitmann 6-3/318
              OT
              Jordan Gross 6-5/300
              Marvel Smith 6-5/321
              Mark Tauscher 6-4/315
              Jon Runyan 6-7/330
              Tra Thomas 6-7/335
              Khalif Barnes 6-5/325
              Marc Colombo 6-8/320
              Vernon Carey 6-4/333
              Max Starks 6-7/337

Did not include some older players.
              -12-22-2008, 06:14 PM
            • RamsSB99
              Franchise QB's?
              by RamsSB99
              I get the feeling some people often get attached to theories that are made up and buy into them. Is it really necessary to draft a so called franchise QB in the first round or are you just as well off getting a QB with NFL experience via free agency or trade? I dont believe in the theory you need to draft a franchise QB in the first round. I have seen articles (showing QB has more busts then RB & WR) and I believe history shows there has been several first round QB busts.

The following shows Super Bowl QBs from 2000-2009 along with who drafted them and where:

QBs drafted 1st round with the same team:
              Peyton Manning Indy (Round 1 pick 1 Indy)
              Eli Manning NY Giants (Round 1 pick 1 NY Giants)
              Donovan McNabb Philadelphia (Round 1 pick 2 Philadelphia)
              Steve McNair Tennessee Titans (Round 1 pick 3 Houston Oilers at the time)
              Ben Roethlisberger Pittsburgh (Round 1 pick 11 Pittsburgh)
              Rex Grossman Bears (Round 1 pick 22 Bears)

QBs Drafted late with same team:
              Tom Brady New England (6th round pick #199 New England)

QBs not with original team:
              Kerry Collins New York Giants (Round 1 pick 5 Carolina)
              Trent Dilfer Baltimore (Round 1 pick 6 Tampa Bay)
              Rich Gannon Oakland (4th Round pick 98 by New England)
              Matt Hasselbeck Seattle (Round 6 pick 184 Greenbay)
              Brad Johnson Tampa Bay (9th round pick 227 Minnesota)
              Jake Delhomme Carolina (Undrafted signed by Saints)
              Kurt Warner Rams (Undrafted tried out with Green Bay in 1994 & Bears in 1997 did not make it)

Notable QBs that did not appear in a Super Bowl over the last ten years:
              Brett Favre (Will be a HOF QB 10-Pro Bowls)
              Drew Bledsoe (Was consistently among the top QBs 4-Pro Bowls)
              Mark Brunell (Was consistently among the top QBs 3-Pro Bowls)
              Drew Brees (Has consistently been among the top QBs 3-Pro Bowls)
              Trent Green (Was consistently among the top QBs 2-Pro Bowls)
              Carson Palmer (Has consistently been among the top QBs 2-ProBowls)
              Tony Romo (Has consistently been among the top QBs 2-Pro Bowls)
              Marc Bulger (Was consistently among the top QBs 2-Pro Bowls and had the GSOT around him)
              Phillip Rivers (Has consistently been among the top QBs Pro Bowl)

The following shows QBs drafted in the first round from 1999-2008 and how many made it to the Super Bowl.

QBs Drafted since 1999 in the first round:

1999 Draft
              #1 Tim Couch
              #2 Donovan McNabb
              #3 Akili Smith
              #11 Daunte Culpepper
              #12 Cade McNown

2000 Draft
              # 18 Chad Pennington

2001 Draft
              #1 Michael Vick

2002 Draft
              #1 David Carr
              #3 Joey Harrington
              #32 Patrick Ramsey

2003 Draft
              #1 Carson Palmer
              #7 Byron Leftwich
              #19 Kyle Boller
              #22 Rex Grossman

-12-31-2009, 01:53 PM
            • RamsSB99
              Which three positions would we get the least production for the position next year?
              by RamsSB99
              Which 3 positions in order do you think we would get the least production out of next year and therfor you would like to see another player at that position next year?

LT Pace
              G Setterstrom
              C Romberg
              G Incognito
              RT Barron
              TE McMichael
              RB Jackson
              WR Holt
              WR Bruce or Bennett
              QB Bulger

DE Little
              DT Carriker
              DT Ryan or Glover or Wrotten
              DE Hall or Adeyanju
              LB Witherspoon
              LB Pisa
              LB Chillar or Draft
              CB Brown
              CB Hill
              FS Atogwe
              SS Chavous

Mine would be:
              1. Setterstrom (We need a good veteran guard why allowing Setterstrom to grow)
              2. Hall (Need a better DE opposite Little also age concern among DEs)
              3. Chavous
              -12-23-2007, 10:53 AM
            • RamsSB99
              This season was lost to injuries regadless how bad some think the coaching was.
              by RamsSB99
              I will agree the coaching was not very good. However this team was not going anywhere with the injuries and thank goodness the consolation prize is a top 5 draft pick.

Our injuries where as follows:

Out for season (Blue Starter):
              Pace LT
              Setterstrom G
              Incognito G
              D. Hall PR/KR
              Little DE
              Pisa LB
              Hill CB
              Goldberg OL
              Walker TE
              Smith LB
              Carter S

Suspension (Blue Starter):
              Brown CB

Missed Minimum 1 game (Blue Starter):
              Bulger QB
              Jackson RB
              Bruce WR
              Romberg C/G
              Chavous S
              Steussie OL (questionable listing as starter)
              Looker WR
              Pettiti OT
              Minor RB

14 starters injured that missed at least 1 game this season. This is as bad a season I have seen a team have injury wise. I don't recall seeing this many injured starters on any one team. I am not thrilled with Linehan's performance however I am excited about having a high draft pick and having everyone healthy next year.

* Bulger and Holt played injured for most of the season.
              -12-23-2007, 10:03 AM
            • RamsSB99
              Okay here is wild switch to 3-4 defense draft
              by RamsSB99
              I would like to see us get a free agent C. Ideally sign Jason Brown or Matt Birk.

Free Agent:
              Jason Brown C 6'3 320

Draft:
              Rd1 Aaron Curry LB 6'3 250
              Rd2 Ron Brace NT 6'3 325
              Rd3 Fenuki Tupou OT 6'6 325
              Rd4 Domonique Johnson CB 6'2 200
              Rd5 Sammie Lee Hill DE 6'4 325
              Rd6 Curtis Taylor SS 6'3 205
              Rd7 Quinn Johnson FB 6'1 265 (May need to package a late comp pick to move up & get him)

Our new defense:

LE - Hill 6'4 325
              NT - Brace 6'3 325
              RE - Carriker 6'6 310

LB - Long 6'3 265
              LB -Witherspoon 6'1 240
              LB - Curry 6'3 250
              LB - Little 6'3 265

CB - Bartell 6'1 210
              CB - Johnson 6'2 200 4.4 - alternates Hill 5'10 185, King 5'11 195

FS - Atogwe 5'11 210
              SS - Taylor 6'3 205 4.5

Defensive review:
              We could switch to a 3-4 with Brace as a NT and Carriker and Hill at DE which they have played in college. I know Spags has not done this much but it would allow us to get bigger and apply pressure. 325, 325, and 310 would be good size for the front three.

Drafting Curry and moving Little and Long to LB along with Witherspoon would give us a stout LB crew that all could blitz the passer. Imagine trying to run against this crew.

Bartell did a good job at CB last year and parring his 6'1 210 frame with another 6'2 200 frame that can run a 4.4 40 would help against bigger receivers and in run support. Tye Hill and Justin King could be used at nickle back.

Atogwe has been a lone ranger in the safety department with Chavous not supplying much production. Pairing him with a 6'3 205 SS who can run a 4.5 40 and hit hard would help improve our secondary.

Our new offense:

QB - Bulger 6'3 205
              RB - Jackson 6'2 235
              FB - Johnson 6'1 265
              TE - McMichael 6'3 255

WR - Avery 5'11 185
              WR - Bennett 6'5 200 - alternate Burton 6'1 200, Stanley 5'11 180

LT - Pace 6'7 325 (Restructurer contract) alternate Barron 6'7 315
              LG - Incognito 6'3 320 alternate Setterstrom 6'4 315
              C - Brown 6'3 320 (FA)
              RG - Bell 6'4 295 alternate Greco 6'4 315
              RT - Tupou 6'6 325 alternate Barron 6'7 315, Greco 6'4 315

Offensive review:
              Bulger will be better with the an improved OL, running game, FB, and Mc Michael back at TE.

Jackson will be even better if healthy and has a big FB (6'1 265) blocking for him and a bigger OL. We have needed a good FB for a long time Hedgecock looked decent but was not good until he left here. James Hodgins was the last good FB we have had. Johnson at 6'1 265 might be the next good blocking FB for the Rams.

TE play has suffered when we dont have McMichael which has been often. If he is healthy he could be a big time contributor.

WR will be better with Avery, Burton, and...
              -02-14-2009, 05:12 PM
            Working...
            X