Countdown to the Combine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countdown to the Combine

Well as of now the NFL Combine is 23 days away..

I know we are all dying inside every day there is no news and the off-season can be agonizing in the time in-between the Super Bowl and the Draft.

Let's countdown the days and post any new news concerning the Combine as we do it!

23 days to go!

(On an off-topic note, when the heck are we going to update the Rams Gameday sidebar, we have 5 more losses to add there!)

Re: Countdown to the Combine

The 2 legit 1st round QBs are hurt, I really could care less what d-lineman do at the combine and thats our biggest defensive need. I'll be interested in what some of the receivers run, but outside of that there is not alot out there for me.

Comment

Is the combine going to be aired on espn or the NFL network. Mediacom does not get the NFL network

Comment

Originally posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
        Is the combine going to be aired on espn or the NFL network. Mediacom does not get the NFL network
        mediacom is killing me at college, direct tv how I miss you...

Comment

The NFL Network will have exclusive coverage of all combine workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
            The NFL Network will have exclusive coverage of all combine workouts.
            Is this also true with the draft?

Comment

Last year ESPN and NFLN both did the draft. I think during the later days it shifted to ESPN2, but NFLN did steady coverage all the way through.

Comment

Is this also true with the draft?
                No. ESPN will have extensive draft coverage.

Comment

Charter doesn't have NFL Network either, the only alternative i can recommend is going to p2p4u.com and hoping someone streams it...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Rambunctious
                    Combine question
                    by Rambunctious
                    How much weight should the combine be given in determining a players worth?

I worry it's not realistic because players have weeks and weeks of nothing to do but prepare for a set of tests. They hire professionals to work with them. Do specific exercises and training routines to prepare them. Day in and day out this is their goal.

But...

Once they are drafted isn't it more likely they go back to the more familiar routines they showed in college? They will be back to living a more normal life but now with a lot of money.

I'm sure my worries aren't justified so I'm looking for some answers to make me smarter on this issue.

I guess to put it simple. Will a guy that runs the 40 in 4.30 be able to perform at that quality during the regular season?

bonus info...

Are there more examples of players going on to be great or busts after their stock rises at the combine?
                    -02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
                  • Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                    NFL Combine on NFL.com
                    by Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                    For those who did not know the NFL combine officially starts tomorrow, even though guys are arriving there today and getting checked in I believe. Nfl.com is hosting the workouts LIVE starting on Sat. and running through Tuesday at 9am.

I was one of the ones thinking Id have to go to a friends house to watch it as I don't get NFL network with Charter :mad:
                    -02-24-2010, 08:17 AM
                  • AvengerRam_old
                    Who will be the biggest "riser" after the Combine?
                    by AvengerRam_old
                    I've listed a few guys I think could, by virtue of their Combine performance, be big "risers" as the draft approaches. Who do you think will gain the most from the week in Indianapolis?
                    Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                    30.00%
                    Corey Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech
                    0.00%
                    Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State
                    10.00%
                    D.J. Harper, RB, Boise State
                    0.00%
                    Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
                    10.00%
                    Trevardo Williams, OLB, UConn
                    0.00%
                    Duke Williams, S, Nevada
                    0.00%
                    Someone else (who?)
                    50.00%
                    -02-10-2013, 09:11 AM
                  • RamsFan16
                    NCAA | Young may skip throwing at the NFL Combine
                    by RamsFan16
                    NCAA | Young may skip throwing at the NFL Combine
                    Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:27:19 -0800

Chip Brown, of the Dallas Morning News, reports Texas QB Vince Young may not throw at the NFL Combine, according to agent Major Adams. Adams, who stated last month that Young would throw for teams at the NFL combine beginning next week, now says Young may not throw and instead may only interview with teams. When asked why it might not be a good thing for Young to throw at the combine, Adams replied, "Unfamiliar surroundings, unfamiliar receivers." The NFL combine in Indianapolis begins Feb. 22. Young said during a public appearance on Saturday at The Galleria in Houston that he plans to interview with teams and "probably throw a little bit."
                    -02-14-2006, 06:43 AM
                  • r8rh8rmike
                    Combine Emphasis Changed
                    by r8rh8rmike
                    Combine Emphasis Changed

Tuesday, February 23, 2010
                    By Nick Wagoner

There was a time, not too long ago, when a little known player could arrive in Indianapolis for the annual NFL Scouting Combine with little fanfare and leave as a first round pick.

All that player had to do was show up, throw on his shorts, t shirt and running shows and put on an athletic display that had little to do with football. A player who underperformed could make four years of average tape disappear in about 4.3 seconds.

But as the years have worn on and many of those workout warriors have busted out of the league, the focus of the combine has changed. Where 40 times and weightlifting skills are still monitored and considered, interviews and injury history now reign supreme.

“I think the NFL as a whole has gotten better at that,” Daniel Jeremiah, former NFL scout and current analyst of MoveTheSticks.com, said. “Teams are better about it. The best thing you can do is have a round of draft meetings before the combine and you get these guys up on the board and set a baseline so when you go to the combine you might deviate just a little bit to help separate these people on the board but you are not going to make a huge leap on the board once it’s established.”

The NFL Scouting Combine started in 1977 in a format far different from what is televised on the NFL Network today.

At the time, various scouting services organized the event to be an opportunity for the various teams that had formed scouting services to get together and evaluate prospects in a controlled setting.

Over the years, though, the popularity of the event took on a life of its own. College players from around the country now seek the coveted invitation to go to Indianapolis to get themselves in front of the assembled NFL world.

As the combine continued to grow, it became easy for players to make an impression on the scouts by their ability. See, the combine tests players in a variety of ways.

In addition to the position specific drills, players run the 40-yard dash, the 20-yard shuttle, the three-cone drill, the 60-yard shuttle and do the bench press, vertical jump and broad jump.

Of course, none of the players do any of those things in football pads or helmets and they don’t do any of the position drills with an opponent.

Through the years, players such as Boston College defensive end Mike Mamula have found ways to boost their stock.

While Mamula was a talented college player, he was widely regarded as a late first round to second round pick at best. After he hoisted the 225 pounds 26 times and ran a 4.62 40, he skyrocketed to the seventh pick of that year’s draft.

After an injury-plagued six seasons, Mamula retired with 31.5 sacks or about five sacks per year.

-02-23-2010, 11:47 PM
                  Working...
                  X