Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right Tackle in the 2010 Draft

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Right Tackle in the 2010 Draft

    Okay, assuming if we are leaning towards upgrading the RT spot via the draft, who do you guys want to pick?

    My list goes as this: (From most wanted to least wanted with their projected round)

    Formerly, my favorite RT in this year's draft was Gabe Carimi out of Wisconsin, but since he did not declare for the draft, my favorite is the mastadon Veldheer.



    Jared Veldheer [6'9, 325lbs.] Hillsdale (Projected Round: 3-4)

    Analysis:
    A mammoth of a tackle. His 6'9 build is similar to the great Johnathan Ogden. Reportedly has very good athleticism and speed for a player his size. Solid in run blocking, but needs to get more aggressive. Is athletic while pass protecting. Good punch off the line of scrimmage. Former basketball player which translates into quick feet.

    Kyle Calloway [6'7, 318lbs.] Iowa (Projected Round: 2-4)

    Analysis:
    Technically sound in his blocking motions. Is a versatile lineman. Is solid in both pass and run protection. Good length for a pro tackle. Was issued a DUI last September. Comes from a program (Iowa) known to produce solid linemen. Him and teammate Bryan Bulaga helped Iowa dominate in the trenches.
    Jason Fox [6'7, 310lbs.] Miami (Projected Round: 3-5)

    Analysis:
    Knee injury and diagnosed with irregular heartbeat. Very athletic, 4 year starter. Did got give up a sack his freshman year. Has very good wingspan, and has a lot of room to bulk up and add muscle. Has a lot of experience due to 4 years of starting, and has good potential to get even better. Shows good technique while blocking. Can handle speed rushers due to his great footwork, and shows a nasty streak. Is not the most powerful guy in the draft though.

    Sam Young [6'8, 305lbs.] Notre Dame (Projected Round: 3-6)

    Analysis:
    Has a lot of experience under his belt as a 4 year starter. His good technique and mammoth size and strength conceals his lack of agility and athleticism. Is a good drive blocker in the run game, but lacks consistency in the passing game. A hard worker, he has dominant lower body strength to negate bull rushers, but must work on upper body strength. Was projected as a second round pick in the 2009 draft, but his senior season exposed some weaknesses. He then redeemed himself a little bit by looking good in the Senior Bowl. Also, he has played in a pro system his whole career, which makes the transition to the NFL easier than other prospects. Has all the tools to be a dominant NFL lineman. Was a top recruit in the 2006 high school class.

    Trent Williams [6'6, 315lbs.] Oklahoma (Projected Round: 1-2)

    Analysis:
    Does not have the skillset or athleticism to be a NFL left tackle. Mirrors well in pass protection, with good punch, and has consistent footwork. Has long arms and a solid build with good bulk. Has light feet and shows good awareness. Lacks aggressiveness in run blocking, and is not really a mauler. Sometimes has lapses of concentration.

    Ciron Black [6'5, 335lbs.] LSU (Projected Round: 4-5)


    Analysis:
    Has lots of experience due to being a 4 year starter. Is a nasty mauler in run blocking, and has the strength to drive opponents off the line of scrimmage and get to the second level quickly. However, he lacks consistency in pass protection, and thus projects only as a right tackle or guard. Excels in the classroom. Shows good technique while run blocking.

    Adam Ulatoski [6'8, 310lbs.] Texas (Projected Round: 5-6)


    Analysis:
    Shows good intelligence and awareness on the field. Run blocking and pass protection is decent. Needs to improve footwork and strength. Was the staple of the Longhorn's offensive line. Stands at an imposing 6'8.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -02-08-2010, 04:03 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Right Tackle in the 2010 Draft

    I'd throw Vladimir Ducasse into the mix as well. If he's athletic enough to handle speed off the edge, he'd be a force in the run game. At 6'5" and 330 lbs., he has the size and strength.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Right Tackle in the 2010 Draft

      Pretty sure we'll have to take a RT in the draft this year. Either we keep Barron and make him a short term starter on the right and let a rookie work his way in, or we cut Barron and some kid has to come in and play. I think Chris Scott could be decent option late in the draft as well. Out of Tennessee I believe.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Right Tackle in the 2010 Draft

        wouldn';t we rather a Right Guard ?

        I hope we could get one or both in free agency ? ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Right Tackle in the 2010 Draft

          Bryan Bulaga is the best RT in this draft; sadly, he'll be gone by the time we get to open round two.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Right Tackle in the 2010 Draft

            Originally posted by richtree View Post
            wouldn';t we rather a Right Guard ?

            I hope we could get one or both in free agency ? ?
            I would rather we get right tackle.

            Right now, I'm more satisfied with John Greco filling in at RG than at RT. He's pretty decent at RG.

            RT is the more important position that needs a fresh body upgrade.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Right Tackle in the 2010 Draft

              Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
              Okay, assuming if we are leaning towards upgrading the RT spot via the draft, who do you guys want to pick?

              My list goes as this: (From most wanted to least wanted with their projected round)

              Formerly, my favorite RT in this year's draft was Gabe Carimi out of Wisconsin, but since he did not declare for the draft, my favorite is the mastadon Veldheer.



              Jared Veldheer [6'9, 325lbs.] Hillsdale (Projected Round: 3-4)

              Analysis: A mammoth of a tackle. His 6'9 build is similar to the great Johnathan Ogden. Reportedly has very good athleticism and speed for a player his size. Solid in run blocking, but needs to get more aggressive. Is athletic while pass protecting. Good punch off the line of scrimmage. Former basketball player which translates into quick feet.

              Kyle Calloway [6'7, 318lbs.] Iowa (Projected Round: 2-4)

              Analysis: Technically sound in his blocking motions. Is a versatile lineman. Is solid in both pass and run protection. Good length for a pro tackle. Was issued a DUI last September. Comes from a program (Iowa) known to produce solid linemen. Him and teammate Bryan Bulaga helped Iowa dominate in the trenches.
              Jason Fox [6'7, 310lbs.] Miami (Projected Round: 3-5)

              Analysis: Knee injury and diagnosed with irregular heartbeat. Very athletic, 4 year starter. Did got give up a sack his freshman year. Has very good wingspan, and has a lot of room to bulk up and add muscle. Has a lot of experience due to 4 years of starting, and has good potential to get even better. Shows good technique while blocking. Can handle speed rushers due to his great footwork, and shows a nasty streak. Is not the most powerful guy in the draft though.

              Sam Young [6'8, 305lbs.] Notre Dame (Projected Round: 3-6)

              Analysis: Has a lot of experience under his belt as a 4 year starter. His good technique and mammoth size and strength conceals his lack of agility and athleticism. Is a good drive blocker in the run game, but lacks consistency in the passing game. A hard worker, he has dominant lower body strength to negate bull rushers, but must work on upper body strength. Was projected as a second round pick in the 2009 draft, but his senior season exposed some weaknesses. He then redeemed himself a little bit by looking good in the Senior Bowl. Also, he has played in a pro system his whole career, which makes the transition to the NFL easier than other prospects. Has all the tools to be a dominant NFL lineman. Was a top recruit in the 2006 high school class.

              Trent Williams [6'6, 315lbs.] Oklahoma (Projected Round: 1-2)

              Analysis: Does not have the skillset or athleticism to be a NFL left tackle. Mirrors well in pass protection, with good punch, and has consistent footwork. Has long arms and a solid build with good bulk. Has light feet and shows good awareness. Lacks aggressiveness in run blocking, and is not really a mauler. Sometimes has lapses of concentration.

              Ciron Black [6'5, 335lbs.] LSU (Projected Round: 4-5)

              Analysis: Has lots of experience due to being a 4 year starter. Is a nasty mauler in run blocking, and has the strength to drive opponents off the line of scrimmage and get to the second level quickly. However, he lacks consistency in pass protection, and thus projects only as a right tackle or guard. Excels in the classroom. Shows good technique while run blocking.

              Adam Ulatoski [6'8, 310lbs.] Texas (Projected Round: 5-6)

              Analysis: Shows good intelligence and awareness on the field. Run blocking and pass protection is decent. Needs to improve footwork and strength. Was the staple of the Longhorn's offensive line. Stands at an imposing 6'8.
              I agree with most of your assessment in OT's. I'd like the Rams to draft Valdeer .

              Originally posted by Goldenfleece View Post
              I'd throw Vladimir Ducasse into the mix as well. If he's athletic enough to handle speed off the edge, he'd be a force in the run game. At 6'5" and 330 lbs., he has the size and strength.

              I think Ciron Black & Vladimir Ducasse will play Gaurd at the next level.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Right Tackle in the 2010 Draft

                Originally posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
                I agree with most of your assessment in OT's. I'd like the Rams to draft Valdeer .

                I think Ciron Black & Vladimir Ducasse will play Gaurd at the next level.
                Yeah, I think Black and Ducasse will play guard.



                I don't think Ducasse would be a solid RT because he struggled in the Senior Bowl at guard against better competition.

                Comment

                Related Topics

                Collapse

                • RockinRam
                  Offensive Line Help in 2012 Draft Outside of Round 1
                  by RockinRam
                  It's obvious we need offensive line help. Trouble is, we must be tired of spending round 1 picks on linemen. There comes a time we need to draft playmakers, and the time is now before Bradford dies from frustration. So Round 2 and down linemen is looking more and more like the trend we will be taking. Here are some key players we could/should be keeping an eye on.
                  Matt Kalil will probably be the next Joe Thomas + Sam Baker + Jake Long, but we just can't take him.



                  Round 2:

                  Peter Konz 6'5, 315lbs. Wisconsin. Will be surprising if he slips to the second round, but crazier things have happened. Wisconsin's best o-lineman coming into the draft. Is the field general at the center position, and possesses great size for a center. Shows no major flaws on tape, and has dominated elite college talent like Jared Crick and Jerel Worthy. Great pass and run blocker. Has the potential to be the next great NFL center.

                  Michael Brewster 6'5, 6'5, 293lbs. Ohio State. Michael Brewster might slip to the second round if Konz gets drafted late in the first round. Ohio State's best offensive lineman. He is not the same type of player Konz is. Although he also has good run blocking and pass blocking skills, he is more of a technician. He is highly intelligent and mobile, and opens up running lanes with strength and good angles. Although not undersized, he will adjust better into the NFL if he adds some more bulk.

                  Mike Adams 6'8, 320lbs. Ohio State. Punishing run blocker, and absolutely engulfs defenders. Shows great strength going against defenders. Has occasional problems with speed rushers. Should be a huge upgrade at either guard position.

                  Matt Reynolds 6'6, 325lbs. BYU. Shut-down pass blocker, and good but has room to improve run blocker. Shuts down bull rushers, and has the feet to block out speed rushers. Immediate upgrade at either tackle position.

                  Kelechi Osemele 6'6, 347lbs. Iowa St. Solid pass blocker, and has great feet for his size. Possesses long arms and fluid footwork. Powerful run blocker. Can play both tackle positions and guard positions.

                  Kevin Zeitler 6'4, 315lbs. Wisconsin. Another road grader from Wisconsin. One of Wisconsin's smallest offensive linemen, which says something about their o-line. Possesses solid pass blocking technique and has the typical power run blocking every o-lineman from Wisconsin possesses. Can play either guard position.



                  Round 3:


                  Ricky Wagner, 6'6, 320lbs. Wisconsin. Like his fellow o-line teammates, Wagner is a tremendous run blocker, and has good pass blocking technique. Can improve his pass blocking, but has the ability to play left tackle in the NFL.

                  Ryan Miller, 6'8, 310lbs. Colorado. Great footwork and quickness for his height. Better pass blocker than run blocker. Anchors well in pass blocking as he gets good knee bend and engulfs smaller defenders. Can...
                  -11-10-2011, 11:35 PM
                • Nick
                  2018 DRAFT Round 3 #89: Rams take Joseph Noteboom, OT, TCU
                  by Nick
                  Scouting Report: Joseph Noteboom
                  2018 NFL Mock Draft
                  DraftGeek’s Mock Draft
                  School: TCU Position: Offensive Tackle Class: Senior Height: 6-5 Weight: 319 lbs Projected Draft Round: 4-6

                  Scouting Report:
                  Has a confounding prospect profile that is typical of most of the offensive linemen coming into the NFL lately- shows signs of good technique, balance, hand usage, bend, etc., but is wildly inconsistent. This pattern has much more to do with the offensive systems and the type of coaching they are receiving, as it doesn’t match what is expected of them in the next level. However, he showed well during the Senior Bowl, and if teams decide that circumstance is the reason that his tape is what it is, he could move into middle, even upper rounds. He has a big frame, but needs to add more quality bulk, but his athleticism and technique have shown enough to get the attention of scouts.




                  Joseph Noteboom | 68
                  OT | SR | TCU
                  Ht: 6050 | Wt: 322 | Upd: 12/28/2017
                  Hometown: Plano, Texas | High School: Plano High School
                  Ourlads' Profile:

                  At this point in mid-October, what was initially perceived to be a solid left tackle class after an underwhelming group in 2017 has more question marks than answers. The top players to watch at the position have either been hurt or don’t appear to have the foot speed for the left side. The top spot is still very much up for grabs.
                  A name that was only somewhat on the radar prior to the season but has been creeping his way up is Joseph Noteboom, a fifth year senior and three year starter from TCU. In his first year on the left side, he has showed consistent foot speed and technique. The ultra-wide wingspan and easy kick slide make him a tough guy to beat off the edge. When his balance is there, Noteboom has showed the ability to neutralize both speed and power rushers alike. He does a solid job of keeping his hands inside with proper knee bend foot separation, making him able to maintain his power. There is still a lot of strength development and progression to be done, but his frame is easily something an NFL team can work with and matched with what he already has, there is a very high ceiling to work with here.
                  Dave Syvertsen, Ourlads' Senior Draft Analyst



                  Analysis
                  By Lance Zierlein
                  NFL Analyst
                  Draft Projection
                  Round 2-3

                  Overview
                  Noteboom flashes the technique, hand usage, and athleticism you want out of the position but he doesn't do those things with enough consistency. His inability to gain and secure positioning as a move blocker is a concern as is his consistency as a finisher in running game. Noteboom was one of the tackles who flashed at the Senior Bowl in one-on-one drills and had a great workout at the Combine. The tape says day three, but his work during the "draft season" should get him drafted on the second day with...
                  -04-27-2018, 07:24 PM
                • RockinRam
                  Offensive Guard Upgrade?
                  by RockinRam
                  Is it time for an offensive guard upgrade? And not the LG. I think Adam Goldberg is a great-back up, but we need a long-term starter at RG, someone who is bigger and can give the interior a push alongside Jason Brown.


                  Goldberg is decent in pass-protection, but I find that he struggles getting a solid push in the run game. That's why John Greco is substituted in a lot of times to help give the o-line a bigger, stronger blocker.


                  However, John Greco still isn't a starter, and one must then question his pass blocking, which may be the reason why he isn't starting.



                  I think it's time to draft a big, mauler-type guard who is a bulldozer in the run game and a capable pass blocker. Steven Jackson needs more room to show his full running capabilities, and a stud RG can help this.


                  Here are some candidates that we could potentially draft:


                  Mike Pouncey 6'5 330 (1st-2nd round)

                  Pouncey has elite size and strength for an offensive guard, and he destroys defenders in the run game. Gets good upper and lower body drive However, he lacks great athleticism, and his pass blocking although capable, has room to improve. Pouncey has the potential to be a very solid lineman in the NFL.


                  Gabe Carimi 6'8 320 (2nd round)

                  Carimi is Wisconsin's left tackle. However, his raw-ness and lack of elite athleticism may require him to transition to right tackle or guard in the NFL. Uses his size to manhandle people in the run game, and uses his long arms and quick feet while pass blocking. Can get to the second level consistently. Him and John Moffitt create probably the most menacing duo in the NCAA.


                  Marcus Cannon 6'6 350 (2nd-4th round)


                  Massive size and superb strength. Has really agile feet, and usually gets to the second level while run blocking. Shows good hand use. He is surprisingly quite polished as a blocker, and can kick out to tackle if needed. However, he lacks killer instinct, and needs to improve his knee bend. His love for football is questionable. (Not sure if the last part is true.)



                  Ben Ijalana 6'3 320 (3rd-4th round)

                  Looks like a man among boys on the field. Has long arms and great feet, which he uses very effectively in pass blocking. More of a finesse blocker than a true mauler in the run game, so his best fits would be at LT and LG. However, if he improves his strength and run blocking, RG may be a good fit.


                  John Moffitt 6'5 320 (3rd-4th round)

                  Strong, blue-collar blocker who is polished both in run and pass blocking. Alongside Gabe Carimi, the two anchor a menacing Wisconsin offensive line due to their size, strength, tenacity, and work ethic. John Moffitt reminds me of a better, stronger, and more polished version of John Greco. He isn't the best knee bender and lacks agility, and needs to improve in these...
                  -11-14-2010, 10:30 AM
                • ramavenger
                  Jammal Brown
                  by ramavenger
                  JammalBown -Strengths: Is an experienced OT prospect with the potential to play LOT in the NFL. His strength is in pass protection. He has just adequate height and bulk, but he has longer arms and is very powerful. He has great quickness in his pass pro set. Stays balanced and shows very good body control when he works at it. Has excellent lateral movement skills. Is rarely beat by pure speed and shows the ability to mirror and slide versus the double move when he plays with leverage. He does a very good job in terms of hand placement and he has a jarring punch. His run blocking skills must improve, but he does have good initial quickness and is able to consistently get in position on reach blocks. He has very good initial power and has the potential to develop into an efficient run blocker in the NFL if he becomes more physical and aggressive.

                  Weaknesses: Has the athleticism to play LOT but lacks experience at that position. He keeps getting bigger and stronger, but he does not have ideal bulk and he has just adequate height for an elite OT prospect. He is powerful, but does not have the massive frame to simply engulf smaller defensive ends in the NFL. Isnt nearly as physical or aggressive as he needs to be. Seems like hes going through the motions some times. Is athletic but will get lazy sometimes in pass protection and will get caught overextending versus the double move. Doesnt finish as well as he should as a run blocker. He also has some durability concerns.

                  Overview: Brown was a partial qualifier who was cleared by the NCAA as a true freshman but wound up redshirting in 2000 because of a knee injury anyway. He played as a reserve right tackle as a redshirt freshman in 01 before taking over as a fulltime starter at right tackle as a sophomore in 02. Brown has been a fulltime starter and first team All-Big 12 the past three seasons (02-04). Brown doesnt have elite size but he keeps getting bigger and stronger. He has excellent feet and good overall athletic ability, which is why he shows the potential to start at the LOT position in the NFL. Brown has had his best season as a senior in 04 and hes become a more technically sound and complete player. But despite his natural ability and success on the collegiate level, Brown could drop to the bottom of the first or the top of the second round due to concerns about his overall toughness and aggressiveness. Similar to Kenyatta Walker (Buccaneers 1st round pick in 2001), theres a chance that Brown never reaches his potential in the NFL because he isnt the hardest worker or the most physical player  thats why hes a big risk-and-reward prospect.
                  * Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.
                  -03-14-2005, 05:18 PM
                • Rambos
                  My picks round 1-7
                  by Rambos
                  My picks round 1-7, all information-describing players attributes has been pulled from various draft boards ect.



                  Round 1


                  Michael Huff - Safety Texas

                  SCOUTING REPORT: Huff is a very versatile player. He has been moved all over the secondary and could find himself at either safety spot or cornerback in the NFL. He has played most of his career at safety. He has shown great ability to sit back and make quick reads. He sees the field well and has great instincts, which allows him to break on passes. He jumps underneath routes well and can lay big hits. Huff also has good ball skills and shows nice hands when the interception is there. He has good footwork and hips and can change directions well and shows good closing speed. When he reads run, Huff shows a good burst to the ball and is a very dependable tackler. He generally takes good angles to the ball, but sometimes gets himself caught up around the line and doesn't get back out to the flanks. When tight ends and receivers engage him, he must do a better job of taking on and shedding blocks. As a result, Huff may be best suited for the free safety spot rather than the strong, even though that is where he has played.





                  Round 2

                  Abdul Hodge Linebacker - Iowa

                  Height: 6'2"Weight: 232 Hodge is a premiere ILB prospect for the upcoming draft. He is a very skilled football player that has had great success at the college level. Almost every year it seems like he has 100 tackles to his name. Hodge is a very athletic ILB, he moves really well, uses his quickness to make plays and does a good job running down the football. Hodge does not get caught in the wash either, he does a good job at sifting through the blockers and finding the ball carrier. He is a stout hitter, his good overall athletic ability lets him react quickly. I also like his intensity on the field, you can tell he is passionate about the game. There are not many weaknesses in Hodge’s game, he has proven himself at the college level to be a very sound ILB and most likely he will be a 1st or 2nd round selection. There might be more talented ILB’s in next years draft but Hodge is one of, if not the most consistent.



                  Round 3

                  Nick Reid - Linebacker Kansas

                  Height: 6'4"Weight: 230 Reid is a prospect that is greatly increasing his draft stock this year. Last year he was a solid player but this year he has developed into a legitimate playmaker and potentially a starting OLB in the NFL. He has great speed, runs very well and is great in pursuit. He plays the game very aggressively and is willing to take out blockers if he is unable to get to the ball carrier. Reid will run straight through a defender if he is in the way of getting to the ball. He is an outstanding run defender and when left free to react to plays instinctively...
                  -02-26-2006, 06:04 PM
                Working...
                X