Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe for what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe for what?

Saw an article about bears asking about Atogwe. Would you trade him? If so, for what? Bears will have either 10th or 11th pick.

Re: Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe for what?

Eric Berry will be gone by that point in the first, so I say no deal.

Comment

Originally posted by rob6465 View Post
      Saw an article about bears asking about Atogwe. Would you trade him? If so, for what? Bears will have either 10th or 11th pick.
      Please feel free to copy and paste the article here so that we can see if it was simply a beat writer speculating on a possible move or a report regarding legitimate interest.

As for the hypothetical, the Bears don't have a pick until the third round. They traded their first round pick for Cutler and their second round pick for the late Gaines Adams. And there's no way I'd part with Atogwe for a mere third round pick, so I don't think the chances of a Rams/Bears trade is good.

Comment

Never mind. I didn't realize Atogwe would be a RFA if the league doesn't get a deal signed.
        Last edited by Rambunctious; -02-12-2010, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
          Please feel free to copy and paste the article here so that we can see if it was simply a beat writer speculating on a possible move or a report regarding legitimate interest.

As for the hypothetical, the Bears don't have a pick until the third round. They traded their first round pick for Cutler and their second round pick for the late Gaines Adams. And there's no way I'd part with Atogwe for a mere third round pick, so I don't think the chances of a Rams/Bears trade is good.
          Sorry my fault. Seems writer is a writer for blog report.

2010 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills Should Trade Up for Suh or McCoy
          by Robert Quinn
          Donald Miralle/Getty Images

The Buffalo Bills are in an interesting predicament this off season, and with the No. 9 overall pick in this year's NFL Draft would it make sense to trade up?

With the transition to a 3-4 defensive scheme for the upcoming year, Buffalo is at a loss for a true Defensive Tackle. Most mock drafts have the Bills taking a LT or a QB with the first pick.

Ndamukoing Suh has been highly regarded fro the past season as the best overall Player in the NCAA, and would be the No. 1 overall pick.

The St. Louis Rams are in a similar situation to the Bills, and are also in need of a QB. The Bills could trade up in the draft, allowing the Rams to draft their QB, and at a much lower price.

Buffalo would have to give up a couple of players with this deal, but the surplus in the secondary could be of need for the dismal Rams, who are reportedly in trade talks with the Chicago Bears regarding Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe.

By trading the No.9 pick and one of our many defensive backs, as well as a future draft pick, Buffalo may be able to acquire a top pick.

Why?

The past several drafts the Bills have flopped with the exception of a slim few who are decent. Each year the team has drafted based on needs, drafting JP Losman when the team was in need of a quarterback, Marshawn Lynch when McGahee wanted out, John McCargo when they didn't have a defensive tackle, the list goes on.

Why not make a move based on talent, over need?
          Last edited by Nick; -02-13-2010, 07:07 AM. Reason: Can't post the link, that's why I said copy and paste the article...

Comment

I doubt Bradford would be at #9 if we did a trade with the Bills. It'd have to be a great deal...
            Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

well if the Bills want to move from 9th to the number 1 overall spot i would have to include at least a player like DT Kyle Williams or FS Jairus Byrd
              @EssexRam_

Comment

I know this is just a blog but why would we trade away our best defensive player? Only to create yet another hole to fill on this team. Don't we have enough holes already? If we trade O.J. away there is no guarantee we will get even close to the kind of player he is in return via the draft or trade. To me it makes no sense to trade him away.
                Aim high Willis, Aim High!

Comment

PFT did a blurb saying the Rams don't intend to use a franchise tag at all, and rather just tender OJ at the highest RFA tender...something like 6.97 million I believe. If a team wants him bad enough, they have to match that offer and then give a 1st and 3rd rounder.

Posted by Mike Florio on February 13, 2010 10:19 AM ET
                  In 2009, the Rams applied the franchise tag to safety Oshiomogho Atogwe. Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Rams most likely won't use the tag on Atogwe or anyone else in 2010.

Since Atogwe doesn't have six years of service, he'll be only a restricted free agent, making the Rams able to keep his rights without using the franchise tag again.

But if the Rams apply any of the RFA tenders to Atogwe (except for the lowest level, which gives only a right of first refusal), they'll pay him nearly as much as they would have paid him if they had used the franchise tag.

Under the CBA, Atogwe will receive 110 percent of his 2009 salary, if the Rams apply any of the tenders that carry compensation. And, as we explained last year at this time regarding the long-term status of then-Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel, Atogwe's salary under a restricted free agent tender will be fully guaranteed, since his salary in 2009 was fully guaranteed.

He made $6.34 million in 2009. As a franchise player in 2010, he'd make $7.608 million. As a restricted free agent, he'll make $6.974 million.

The only difference is that, under the franchise tag, the Rams would be entitled to two first-round picks instead of a first-round pick and a third-round pick, if Atogwe gets a long-term offer the Rams don't match. But it's highly unlikely, in our view, that anyone would give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick for Atogwe or most other safeties not named Polamalu.

So the smart move for the Rams is to apply the highest RFA tender, assuming they're prepared to pay him $6.974 million guaranteed in 2010.
                  Last edited by Nick; -02-14-2010, 07:29 AM. Reason: Editing out the links

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• shroomysoup
                    Bears wanting to sign OJ Atogwe?
                    by shroomysoup
                    I heard the Bears were interested in signing Atogwe. Are the Rams thinking about signing him long-term? I freakin' hope so!
                    -03-05-2010, 01:45 PM
                  • RamWraith
                    Atogwe hopes to remain with Rams
                    by RamWraith
                    Third-year free safety topped NFC with eight interceptions
                    BY STEVE KORTE
                    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --After leading the NFC in interceptions this season, St. Louis Rams free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe will be one of the more attractive restricted free agents this spring.

The Rams will retain matching rights to an any offer Atogwe receives. They'll also receive compensation in the form of draft picks from any team signing Atogwe depending on what level of one-year tender offer they make to him.

The Rams would be wise to tender Atogwe at a first-round level to dissuade teams from pursuing him.

"I don't even worry about all of that," Atogwe said of being a restricted free agent. "My job is to come out here and work hard and play, and that all takes care of itself. It's not even a concern of mine."

Asked whether he wanted to remain with the Rams, Atogwe said: "I definitely enjoy being here. I don't know what my future holds. I'm just going to continue to count my blessings and see what happens."

Atogwe said the Rams' 3-13 season didn't dampen his desire to return to the team.

"It's not like we were a 3-13 team with guys who didn't like each other or guys who just didn't care about their jobs," Atogwe said. "There wasn't that feeling at all. We just had some bad breaks, and we didn't capitalize on some opportunities we had.

"It's not a situation where we have a bunch of losers in the locker room. I'd love to come back here."

Atogwe picked off his eighth pass of the season in the Rams' 48-19 season-ending loss to the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.

Atogwe returned the interception 52 yards late in the third quarter for his first NFL touchdown.

"I wasn't really able to enjoy it because I was feeling so bad, but I hadn't had a pick six since maybe high school," Atogwe said. "It's definitely a long time coming and something I'll cherish."

Atogwe played against the Cardinals despite battling a stomach virus.

"It was never a situation where I wasn't going to play," Atogwe said. "It was just how much could I take, how much could I get through. I was throwing up all day, all morning. The team needed me, and I'm just here to serve."

Atogwe's eight interceptions ranked second in the NFL behind the 10 grabbed by San Diego's Antonio Cromartie.

It's also the most interceptions by a Rams player since Dexter McCleon had eight in 2000.

"It's a great honor," Atogwe said of leading the NFC in interceptions. "There's a lot of great football players in the NFC and AFC. I'm truly blessed."

Atogwe, a third-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft out of Stanford, said his personal accomplishments in his...
                    -01-02-2008, 04:24 PM
                  • Bruce=GOAT
                    Rams trade for Bears S Kevin Payne
                    by Bruce=GOAT
                    from the Post-Dispatch:

The draft might be over, but the St. Louis Rams aren’t done adding players to their roster. On Wednesday, they traded an undisclosed pick in the 2011 draft to the Chicago Bears for safety Kevin Payne.

The 6-foot, 212-pound Payne spent all three of his NFL seasons in Chicago. He started 22 of 32 games with the Bears, including all 16 in 2008.

The acquisition of Payne, 26, could be a hedge by the Rams because safety Oshiomogho Atogwe has yet to sign his one-year tender offer as a restricted free agent. If Atogwe doesn’t sign his tender by June 1, the Rams must pay him 110 percent of his 2009 salary — which would be $6,976,000. If the Rams decline to do so, Atogwe would become a free agent.
                    -04-28-2010, 07:00 PM
                  • schut39
                    Wyche: Atogwe won’t sign tender with Rams
                    by schut39
                    Oshiomogho Atogwe is one of the more interesting names among restricted free agents. He was extended the low tender offer by the Rams, giving the team only the right of first refusal on its starting strong safety. From the outset, it was a situation we knew would reach a conclusion about now.

NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche told “NFL Total Access” on Monday that Atogwe will not sign his tender. That decision increases the likelihood that Atogwe will be someone else’s starting strong safety next season.

The key date in the whole scenario is June 1. The Rams continue to hold exclusive negotiating rights with Atogwe and can try to sign him to a long-term deal. On June 1, because the Rams tendered Atogwe at $1.226 million (significantly less than his 2009 salary), they hold the option of extending an offer at 110 percent of his salary (nearly $7 million) to retain his rights or releasing him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Atogwe, who played under a $6.3 million franchise tag in 2009, ended the season by missing the final four games with a shoulder injury. Time is running out, and we’ll soon find out if the Rams — who acquired Kevin Payne from the Bears last month — have completely closed the door on Atogwe.

NFL Network
                    -05-10-2010, 06:54 PM
                  • r8rh8rmike
                    Atogwe Hopes To Be Back After Release From Rams
                    by r8rh8rmike
                    Atogwe hopes to be back after release from Rams

BY JIM THOMAS
                    Saturday, February 19, 2011

Even with his release Friday by the Rams, safety Oshiomogho Atogwe says he hasn't closed the door on a possible return to the team.

"My agent and myself have established a really good negotiating relationship with them, so were we to do something again (with the Rams), I don't believe it'd be a difficult task," Atogwe told the Post-Dispatch. "Because there's no bad blood there. We should be able to get something done."

The only problem — for several years — has been agreeing on Atogwe's value in terms of a multi-year deal. Rather than pay an $8 million roster bonus that was due Atogwe on Monday, the Rams released the six-year veteran.

"It's disappointing to be back in this situation, again," Atogwe said. "Not being able to actually be set at this point in time in my career — it's disappointing."

The relative security of a long-term contract has proven frustratingly elusive for Atogwe, a third-round round pick out of Stanford in 2005.

"I'd say it's frustrating along the lines that I haven't been able to feel at home since my rookie contract," Atogwe said. "Where you say, OK this team wants me for the long haul, for the long term."

Atogwe was franchised following the 2008 season, then in a wrinkle of the uncapped year, reverted back to restricted free agency following the 2009 season. As for this offseason, there's no doubt that the current labor impasse between players and owners, and pending lockout, have caused teams to be more conservative financially.

"Yeah, it has been difficult," Atogwe said. "I think that's why it's very important for us to really get a CBA done, in place and secure, so that other guys won't have to go through a similar situation as myself. And that the teams can really move on in paying their bills and grow for the long term. But for me it's definitely frustrating. I'm thankful that I still have peace throughout this, knowing that it's going to work out the way it's supposed to."

Because he is a released player, Atogwe is free to sign with any team immediately. However, if there is no collective bargaining agreement by March 4, no veteran players — even released players such as Atogwe — can sign new contracts at that time.

So Atogwe has a 13-day window to shop the market, but he plans to wait until there's a new labor agreement before doing so.

"I would say I'm just going to take this time to let God speak to me and go from there," Atogwe said. "I am going to wait till the market opens and then go from there."

Besides the $8 million roster bonus, Atogwe was due a $3.5 million base salary with the Rams in 2011, meaning he would have been...
                    -02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
                  Working...
                  X