• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 NFL Draft: The St. Louis Rams Are On The Clock

by Eddie Garrison Eddie Garrison
    Featured Columnist

Written on February 12, 2010

The St. Louis Rams had a season in 2009 I am sure they would rather soon forget. Finishing it out with a 1-15 record, the Rams have the first overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft.

The lone win coming at the expense of the Detroit Lions, who we will get to in another piece as they have the second overall pick in this year's draft.

But for now, we will keep our focus on the Rams.

The gateway city to the west gave up the second most points in the league last year allowing teams to score 436 points on them while only managing to score 175 points for themselves, a league low.

Though the Rams are in utter disarray and needing help on both sides of the ball, this year's draft seems to be lined with defensive talent and I believe that is where St. Louis will attempt to rebuild their team.

So let’s see what options the Rams may be eyeing in the top three rounds come April.

First Round: Ndamukong Suh—Nebraska

There is not much that has not been said about the 6-foot-4, 300-pound defensive tackle from Nebraska, but we'll give it a go anyway.

Suh is surprisingly agile and quick on his feet for a man this size. His great athletic ability allows him to fire off the ball quickly and get into the backfield to either disrupt the play or get a hit on the quarterback.

He actually started his career at Nebraska lined up over center as a nose tackle. He has experience firing off the ball low and using his size to take the advantage over a center or guard.

Suh also shows great vision of the field and awareness in the running game. He posses the size to disrupt zone blocking schemes and is very smooth at getting away from cut blocks.

He actually led the Cornhuskers last year in tackles, a rare feat for someone at defensive end. He has the needed athleticism to chase down and make open-field tackles as well.

Suh presents the Rams with something they can build their defense around much like the Texans did with Mario Williams a few years back. He is the best pick for them and worthy of the No. 1 overall pick.

Second Round: Everson Griffen—Southern California

Keeping the defensive theme going here in the second round, I believe the Rams will take a good long look at Everson Griffen, a defensive tackle from USC.

The 6-foot-3, 280-pound Griffen is much like Suh in that he moves very well for a man of his build. He moves nimbly and quickly in the trenches and moves down the line on runs away from his side low and with force.

He avoids cut blocks very easily with his hip movement and the way he runs light on his feet.

Against the run he is a very imposing force as he is extremely hard to move and sheds his blockers well. He moves very fast on run plays and most of the time can get from one side of the tackle box to the other before the running back hits the line of scrimmage.

Although Griffen did not fully develop at USC like many thought he would have, he did have his best season for the Trojans in 2009 and could be transforming into the player everyone thought he would be in college at the right time.

He would be a perfect fit for a team that is looking for a defensive end that is a proven run stopper but who can also get after it as well in the passing game.

The Rams need a player just like that and have found him in Everson Griffen.

Round Three: Dexter McCluster—Mississippi

Now I know what you are thinking, why would the Rams take a running back, a smaller running back at that when they have a big back like Steven Jackson?

Well, McCluster is more than just another running back. He has so much athleticism he can go out on receiving routes; he has good hands and can be a huge boost for St. Louis in the return game.

See DeSean Jackson and Percey Harvin.

Now he may not tip the scales with his 5-foot-7, 165-pound frame, but he gets everything out of his body he possibly can and then some.

Watching him all week at the Senior Bowl he really impressed scouts with how physical of a runner he can actually be. He had no issues running between the tackles and looked good taking big hits as he used his lower center of gravity to deflect off of tacklers.

The Rams once had the "Greatest Show on Turf" and that show included some speed guys on offense including Issac Bruce, Torry Holt and Az Zahir Hakium. All of those guys had the gears once they were in open field to hit another speed and run away from most defenders.

McCluster could be another player to fit that mold in St. Louis. He shows great explosion all over the field no matter if he is lined up in the backfield or split out wide, he gives it 110 percent every play on the field.

So don't be surprised if the Rams take this little ball of hate in the third round of the draft.

Other Options

Second Round: Brian Price, defensive tackle UCLA. That is if he is not gone in the first round to someone like the Colts.

Third Round: Ryan Mathews, running back Fresno State. He may not fall this far as most mocks have him going in the second round. That is why I had the Rams taking McCluster in the third round.
    :ramlogo:

Re: 2010 NFL Draft: The St. Louis Rams Are On The Clock

I find it hard to believe if we go Suh we would use the second pick for another DT.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. And for his "other options" section, it's a third DT..we have C. Ryan. So if this guy has his way, it's DT, DT RB regardless of the name after the position. I do like the McCluster in the 3rd if he's there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambunctious View Post
        I find it hard to believe if we go Suh we would use the second pick for another DT.
        Originally posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
        My thoughts exactly. And for his "other options" section, it's a third DT..we have C. Ryan. So if this guy has his way, it's DT, DT RB regardless of the name after the position. I do like the McCluster in the 3rd if he's there.
        Griffen is a defensive end. I suspect the author identifying him as a "a defensive tackle from USC" was a typo. He acknowledges in his description that he'd play end for the Rams, saying that Griffen "would be a perfect fit for a team that is looking for a defensive end that is a proven run stopper but who can also get after it as well in the passing game."

Comment

I love Mccluster, he has big play ability.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• eldfan
            St. Louis Rams 2010 Mock Draft
            by eldfan
            by Cameron Schott Cameron SchottContributor

Previous Next Round 1, Pick 1: Ndamukong Suh, DT, NebraskaSlide 2 of 11

I have waited to make the Rams NFL mock draft because yesterday was the last day for underclassmen to declare for the draft. So now that we know pretty much all the players who will enter, there will be no guessing if a player will stay or leave.

Plus if you are a Rams fan, like myself, then this is our Super Bowl! I waited all year to see who we would get in the draft. Now let's look at what the Rams really need.

Rams Needs:
            Quarterback- Marc Bulger is past his prime and gets hurt too often. Boller and Null aren't exactly what you call franchise quarterbacks. They can take a risk here because they may have a chance at Jake Locker next year.

Backup Running Back- Steven Jackson is the best player the Rams have, but he can't play every down. A running back isn't a huge need, but the Rams need a decent backup. Last year the three backup running backs combined for 228 yards the entire season.

Wide Receiver(s)- Donnie Avery can be pretty good, but besides him the Rams have no depth. Their number two receiver is Danny Amendola, who they got primarily to return kicks.

Cornerback- The Rams were 25th in passing defense, and their corners didn't get an interception the entire year. They need some help here.

Defensive Tackle- A strong defensive tackle will toughen up the line and stop the power run game. It will also take some pressure off of Chris Long.

Outside Line Backer- James Laurinaitis was a great pick, now they have two more backers to go.

They can also use offensive linemen or a tight end, but these are the biggest needs the Rams have. I spent a lot of time on this so let's take a look at the first pick!

Round 1, Pick 1: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

Rams should play it safe here by taking arguably the best player in the draft.

Quarterbacks are hit and miss and Rams should look to strengthen up their defensive line. Suh is a quick 305 pound monster that teams can build a defense around. Anyone who saw the Big 12 Championship game knows that Suh is one of the best players in the country. Suh anchored Nebraska's defense and should translate his success into the NFL.

Strengths: Very quick for his size and uses his hands well. Has good technique and can read plays very well. An amazing playmaker who can always find the football and make big plays.

Weaknesses: Can struggle with a double team and can be inconsistent. Also has had some knee injuries in the past.

Awards:
            2009 AP Player of the Year
            2009 Heisman Finalist
            2009 Consensus First Team All-American
            Two Time First Team All-Big 12
            2009 Big 12 Defensive Player...
            -01-19-2010, 09:59 AM
          • Dominating D
            Dominating D 7 round Rams mock draft
            by Dominating D
            Players review from draft dog.com unless otherwise noted

Round 1 Ndamukong Suh DT NEBRASKA

Ndamukong Suh has become the best player in all of college football. The man can do things that no other can. At times, he looks like Superman swatting flies. Don’t pencil him in as the #1 overall pick; put it in permanent marker and laminate it. If the NFL team that has the first pick in the 2010 NFL Draft passes up on Suh, it's just because they think their future franchise quarterback is looking them in the face.

The man is simply incredible. Not a mammoth man like a Terrance Cody, Suh packs a lot of power and natural strength into his 6’ 4” 305 pound frame and, frankly, college lineman are just no match for the force that is Ndamukong Suh. Possessing a fantastic burst and quickness of the snap, Suh is in your backfield before you’ve gotten up in the morning. He regularly beats lineman to the corner on traps and pulls, nullifying the play before it’s really even started.

And just to mix things up, he simply moves you where he wants to go and tosses you aside with sheer beastly strength. His bull rush is better than that of many NFL linemen.
            He is now a finalist for the Lombardi, Outland, Nagurski and Bednarik awards.

· Recorded season-high nine tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 TFL and 2 PBU in Big 12 North clinching win over Kansas State last Saturday
            · Earned Lott Trophy Impact Player of the Week for the third time this season—first time in history of award a player has won the award three times in one season
            · Leads team with 65 total tackles, 15 TFL, 10 PBU and 20 QB hurries, while adding 6.5 sacks
            · In position to become first defensive lineman in school history to lead Nebraska in tackles in consecutive seasons
            · Only defensive lineman in the country to rank in the top 100 in pass breakups (Suh is 31st)
            · Behind Suh, Nebraska ranks third nationally in scoring defense and pass efficiency defense and eighth in total defense
            · Nebraska defense leads country in passing TDs allowed (4) and opponent red-zone trips (18)

An elite athlete, Suh has multiple pass rush moves and can spin either way to get free. His hand punch is like a sledgehammer on concrete, keeping blockers away from his body and allowing him to easily disengage to make tackles. His 5.5 TFL and 3 sacks don’t tell the whole story but Suh opens things up for the rest of the Husker defense, regularly drawing double-teams and pushing the action towards fellow defenders. He is a presence that needs to be accounted for on every snap.

He is generally quite instinctive and reads plays quickly. He makes linebacker type plays in the box, on the edges and at the sidelines and will hustle down the line and chase the ball all over. Even when fooled, he has the quickness to get back into the action. His athletic ability also lends him to shifting over at times to the edge and...
            -01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
          • Goldenfleece
            Another Mock...how many days til the season starts?
            by Goldenfleece
            Okay one trade here. I'm arbitrarily picking KC as the team we trade with. They need a DT, Haloti Ngata is on the board, and they trade us a first, third, and some pick next year to move up. Since my first pick is Carpenter, who is expected to go somewhere in the 20s, it could work just as well if we traded to any of a handful of teams in the teens or early twenties.

First Round (20th overall from KC): Bobby Carpenter, OLB Ohio State - We get a big SLB (6'3" 254) who plays the run well, excels at the blitz, and makes plays all over the field. Pass coverage is considered to be one of his strengths. He has also lined up with his hand down at DE before to blitz. He does need to work on getting off blocks faster, and he gets criticized for sometimes overpursuing. He also does not have the top end speed of Manny Lawson or Ernie Sims, but overall he has great physical tools and is a safe bet because he has already demonstrated the abilities we need at the position. To put it another way, some other first round linebackers may (or may not) have higher ceilings than he does, but I'd say he has a higher floor.

Second Round (46th): Anthony Fasano, TE Notre Dame- I wanted to go Pope or Lewis on this pick, but I convinced myself they'd be gone by this point. Of the top five, Fasano is the most complete tight end because of his blocking abilities. He has pretty good size, good but not great speed, and he has good hands. The knock on him, is that he isn't the incredible specimen that some of these other guys are. He still posted a very respectable 40 and was one of the more productive pass-catching tight ends last season. Given the abundance of receiving weapons in our offense, I think the TE's blocking ability ought to be a real consideration, as he could help with the protection and running game along with upgrading our receiving options.

Third Round (77th): Maurice Jones-Drew, RB/KR/PR UCLA - This guy put up a 28.5 yard average on punt returns. If it was much higher, the other team might as well not bother kicking. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in speed, quickness, change of direction skills, and power. He's only 5'8" but weighs 207, so he has some muscle packed on there. The Fisher signing reduces his value to us as a third down back, but it has to be tempting to take a player with this kind of ability. Most of the recent mocks I have seen have him going just a couple picks after this, but he could go earlier.

Third Round (85th from KC): Orien Harris, DT Miami - He's a solid run-stuffer with enough quickness he could develop into a decent pass rusher as well. He has had some injury issues and needs to be more consistent, but he will provide good depth to the line. Miami tends to churn out some decent NFL players. One thing I like about him is his versatility. If he can develop his pass rushing skills a bit, he would be an excellent...
            -04-16-2006, 01:00 AM
          • RockinRam
            Right Tackle in the 2010 Draft
            by RockinRam
            Okay, assuming if we are leaning towards upgrading the RT spot via the draft, who do you guys want to pick?

My list goes as this: (From most wanted to least wanted with their projected round)

Formerly, my favorite RT in this year's draft was Gabe Carimi out of Wisconsin, but since he did not declare for the draft, my favorite is the mastadon Veldheer.

Jared Veldheer [6'9, 325lbs.] Hillsdale (Projected Round: 3-4)

Analysis:
            A mammoth of a tackle. His 6'9 build is similar to the great Johnathan Ogden. Reportedly has very good athleticism and speed for a player his size. Solid in run blocking, but needs to get more aggressive. Is athletic while pass protecting. Good punch off the line of scrimmage. Former basketball player which translates into quick feet.

Kyle Calloway [6'7, 318lbs.] Iowa (Projected Round: 2-4)

Analysis:
            Technically sound in his blocking motions. Is a versatile lineman. Is solid in both pass and run protection. Good length for a pro tackle. Was issued a DUI last September. Comes from a program (Iowa) known to produce solid linemen. Him and teammate Bryan Bulaga helped Iowa dominate in the trenches.
            Jason Fox [6'7, 310lbs.] Miami (Projected Round: 3-5)

Analysis:
            Knee injury and diagnosed with irregular heartbeat. Very athletic, 4 year starter. Did got give up a sack his freshman year. Has very good wingspan, and has a lot of room to bulk up and add muscle. Has a lot of experience due to 4 years of starting, and has good potential to get even better. Shows good technique while blocking. Can handle speed rushers due to his great footwork, and shows a nasty streak. Is not the most powerful guy in the draft though.

Sam Young [6'8, 305lbs.] Notre Dame (Projected Round: 3-6)

Analysis:
            Has a lot of experience under his belt as a 4 year starter. His good technique and mammoth size and strength conceals his lack of agility and athleticism. Is a good drive blocker in the run game, but lacks consistency in the passing game. A hard worker, he has dominant lower body strength to negate bull rushers, but must work on upper body strength. Was projected as a second round pick in the 2009 draft, but his senior season exposed some weaknesses. He then redeemed himself a little bit by looking good in the Senior Bowl. Also, he has played in a pro system his whole career, which makes the transition to the NFL easier than other prospects. Has all the tools to be a dominant NFL lineman. Was a top recruit in the 2006 high school class.

Trent Williams [6'6, 315lbs.] Oklahoma (Projected Round: 1-2)

Analysis:
            Does not have the skillset or athleticism to be a NFL left tackle. Mirrors well in pass protection, with good punch, and has consistent footwork. Has long arms and a solid build with good bulk. Has light feet and shows good awareness. Lacks aggressiveness in run blocking, and is not really a mauler....
            -02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
          • Goldenfleece
            Impressions: General Observations on Top Rams Prospects
            by Goldenfleece
            These are just general impressions I've been getting of players we might draft. Mostly, I've just been making note of comments that tend to keep coming up at different draft websites or particularly interesting nuggets of information about the players. I figured I'd post some of it and see if people had anything to add or correct...

Round 1

Chris Long, DE - A defensive end who does all the little things right from reading the offensive formation before the snap to getting his hand up after the ball is in the air. Gil Brandt at one point mused that every player in the draft had his flaws...except Chris Long. In an SI article, Lawrence Taylor's agent is quoted as saying Long is the closest thing he has seen to LT since LT was playing. Some people will say he isn't fast enough, but he had the 8th fastest 40 time for a defensive lineman at the Combine. That's not terrible, but keep in mind that Howard, Crable, C. Johnson, and Gatewood are 240-pounders that project as linebackers. That means Gholston, Groves, and Chris Ellis are the only true DE prospects who ran faster than Long. So he doesn't put on the workout perfomance that Gholston does, but he was in the top 4 on the broad jump, vertical jump, 3-cone drill, and 20-yard shuttle. He's just a really impressive all-around prospect.

Vernon Gholston, DE - A physical freak of nature who also had good production in college. He can outmuscle or outrun his opponent as necessary. The downside is that he doesn't seem like the greatest technician, nor does he have the greatest reportoire of moves, nor the greatest football awareness. Some of the anecdotes from his high school years raise questions, too. When he first started football, one of the coaches kicked him off the team because he said something to the effect that he didn't want to kill anybody, he just wanted to play football. The coach thought he wasn't tough enough for football. When Gholston got back into football, they supposedly tried him on defense, but he was overwhelmed by the playbook, so they moved him to offensive guard where there was less to memorize. If you're looking for things to nitpick about, these examples might raise questions about his intensity, toughness, or ability to be coached. Overall, he seems like a guy who is already a very, very good football player but has extraordinary upside because of his physical tools and all the aspects of his game that could still get better.

Glenn Dorsey, DT - A defensive tackle with a great first step. He is strong, quick, gets good penetration, plays the run well, etc., etc. His injury history has been closely scrutinized, but I am more concerned by his stat line. In 51 games, he managed just 13 sacks, 7 QB pressures, and 23 stops for loss. Fifty-one games is the equivalent of more than 3 NFL seasons. Do we really expect him to get more sacks against tougher competition? If not, would we be okay with a guy who would average say 4 sacks...
            -03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
          Working...
          X