Suh + clausen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suh + clausen?

Well, I agree 100% on taking Ndamukong Suh with our first pick. I've been looking around at a lot of mock drafts lately, and it seems like Clausen might slip out of the first round.

This would be amazing because we would be able to get Suh, and Clausen (franchise QB).

Also, he will not be able to preform at the scouting combine. This may cause him to drop.

I would also love for us to get Dexter McCluster. He can play WR/RB/KR/Punt return, and he is a game changer. Where do you guys think he will be drafted?

Do you guys think Clausen drops, and if so, would you take him in the 2nd?

Re: Suh + clausen?

Although Clausen will not show at the combine, he will still interview and still has his solid game tape (although only one season). Personally I cant see him falling, Crabtree only fell a bit and he was in similar position. But for Clausen falling he would need to be ruled out of all workouts till very very near draft if able to showcase at all, also he would have to interview very badly for a lot of people. HOWEVER if this happened I would bite your hand off if he fell and we could draft him in the 2nd or even bottom of the 1st. Agree with McCluster but USC's running back could also be an option in the 3rd so who knows. IF right now you gave me SUH, CLAUSEN and MCCLUSTER boy i would be very very very happy

Comment

Same as me, and with the addition of those three players, i believe we could have at least 6+ wins next season!

Comment

I think it's possible that either of these quarterbacks could slide from where they're expected to go (Top 5-10), but I doubt either of them slides to the top of the second round.

Comment

there is a near 0% chance that clausen drops out of the first people said the same about Mark Sanchez last year and guess where he got drafted

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
            I think it's possible that either of these quarterbacks could slide from where they're expected to go (Top 5-10), but I doubt either of them slides to the top of the second round.
            I hear what you're saying, but pehaps one of them could fall far enough for us to consider moving up a bit, while at the same time, not costing us too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
              I hear what you're saying, but pehaps one of them could fall far enough for us to consider moving up a bit, while at the same time, not costing us too much.
              The ol' Brady Quinn scenario, yes. That's definitely more likely than one of them slipping completely to the second round. Though when the Browns did it in 2007, it cost them the following year's first round pick.

Comment

The ol' Brady Quinn scenario, yes. That's definitely more likely than one of them slipping completely to the second round. Though when the Browns did it in 2007, it cost them the following year's first round pick.
                Would you be willing to pay that price? I think if either QB were available in the 15-20 range I'd pull the trigger.

Comment

And you really have to be sure that the guy you're chasing is the guy you really want. The Browns have had little success with anyone behind centre in the past few seasons with the exception of Derek Anderson's anomaly in 2007. That pick alone, coupled with their inability to trade Anderson when his value was at its highest, may have set their franchise back half a decade.

Comment

If you tell me I can get Suh and one of the tops QB's and a play maker like McCluster, I might just slap you silly out of disbelief

Boy would that be exciting.

Alas I doubt he would slip past the Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by smizzhfx View Post
                      Would you be willing to pay that price? I think if either QB were available in the 15-20 range I'd pull the trigger.
                      It would be a risk, but a very, very tempting one. You can't bank on what you're going to be able to get in the following year's draft, so I'd be tempted to make the move if one of the passers fell to around the 20-range.

Comment

Imagine picking up Suh +Clausen + and drafting either Mccluster / Mcknight in the draft... That grades out to an A right?

Comment

We would tear it up next season if we got all three of them.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
                            We would tear it up next season if we got all three of them.
                            From 1 and 15 to tearing it up, because of 3 rookies? I don't think so.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                              Making the Case for Clausen
                              by Bralidore(RAMMODE)
                              Personally, ill probably lose popularity for this, but i wanna grab Clausen over Suh at this point. I want us to trade down a few spots and pick up another 2nd round pick (or first round if humanly possible) and grab him. I love Suh just as much as the next guy but he wont get us a passing offense....and we still don't know what we have in Carriker, Ryan has been solid as well. Long has definitely come along and will hold down the LE spot, and hopefully we can pick up another DE in the second round or through FA.

The rams will quite simply continue to fail utterly without a quarterback and this was as plain as day in our most recent failure against the *****. Shut the ***** out of the game for 3 quarters!!! Then let them poor it on in the last quarter because no doubt our defense got gassed, and the ***** were able to pull it out because they have an offense and we don't..

Give us a quarterback that can make all the throws (love him or not: Clausen can make all the throws) and we have a chance to win that ball game. I'm not knocking Null because i understand his situation, but you put a Warner (who Clausen reminds me of sort of, with a bigger arm) and you convert those field goals in the points. Broad assumption but i think its at least reasonable to say, despite our horrible o-line woes, Clausen with his quick release could have converted a lot more of those third downs with less arid throws and accidents.

Making the Case for ClausenStrengths: Solid size and adequate bulk
                              Very good arm strength; can fit balls into tight windows
                              Extremely quick, snappy release
                              Great accuracy
                              Nice hip torque on throws
                              Gets rid of ball quickly
                              Very decisive with the football
                              Takes what defense gives him; doesn't force ball/will throw away
                              Elite football IQ
                              Great touch
                              Well versed in NFL offense
                              Good sense of timing
                              Will step up/out of pocket
                              Knows how to read coverage
                              Sees the entire field; great vision
                              Very polished for a true junior
                              Shown outstanding development from freshman to junior season
                              Extremely intelligent
                              Ice in his veins; great poise
                              Mentally tough; plays through pain
                              Big leader
                              Confident
                              Film room rat
                              Elite intangibles
                              Good genetics and very well coached
                              Spent 3.5 years in a West Coast offense

Weaknesses:
                              Does a poor job of selling play action
                              Footwork used to be a bit shoddy, has improved
                              Not a fluid athlete
                              Personality might come off as abrasive
                              Sometimes gets too much air under fade route
                              Lacks a little pocket awareness

We want less rookie down time because we need wins NAO; this guy is the most pro ready quarterback in this years draft EASY.

Interesting tid bit on Clausen's stats Ive found.

-01-04-2010, 08:31 AM
                            • sakl18
                              Suh or Clausen/Bradford?
                              by sakl18
                              The main debate for the upcoming draft is if the Rams will take Suh or a QB, with Clausen currently having the edge over Bradford. Although Suh would improve the defense, you can't win in this league without a solid or elite QB. Here are the top teams from 2009 and their QB's.

1) Indianapolis - Peyton Manning
                              2) New Orleans - Drew Brees
                              3) San Diego - Phillip Rivers
                              4) Minnesota - Brett Favre
                              5) Dallas - Tony Romo
                              6) Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers
                              7) Philadelphia - Donovan McNabb
                              8) Arizona - Kurt Warner
                              9) Cincinnati - Carson Palmer
                              10) New England - Tom Brady

As you can see, the top 10 teams have arguably the top 10 Quarterback's in the league. As it has been posted before, our defense can compete in this league. However, our offense can't. If we take Suh, we will be looking at another top 5 pick again next year. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Rams have a player like Suh. But if we grab him, we would lose a shot at a franchise QB like Clausen. Having Clausen would take a lot of pressure off of Jackson as teams wouldn't be able to consistantly stack the box against him. Not only that, but Clausen spent three years in a pro-style offense under Charlie Weiss, who has been a successful OC in the NFL.

If you look at the numbers that Clausen put up, they are spectacular. He finished the year with a 68% completion percentage, 3722 yards, 28 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. He did all of that with a terrible offensive line (he's already starting to fit in!) and virtually no running game (which he will have with the Rams).

The two biggest flaws that people seem to pick out in him are his attitude and his carrer record (13-18). when you look at the win loss record, it is no fault of his own. During his time in Notre Dame, he was playing with no defense. With the points he put up and the level he played at, the losses were not his fault. His character is the other issue. Although he is cocky and abrassive, can't the same be said in Phillip Rivers?

IMO, Spags and Devaney need to take Clausen to move this team forward. In the NFL you can't win without a QB, and I guarantee you that the front office is aware of it (they did spend a year with Bulger, Boller and Null* starting at QB).

*This isn't a shot at Null, I realize that he was a rookie, and I have high hopes for him as the future backup of the Rams.
                              -01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
                            • smitheRAM
                              Second quess
                              by smitheRAM
                              So we picked Bradford, but what if we could of picked Suh and now Clausen. Would you have rather done have them?
                              -04-22-2010, 09:00 PM
                            • AvengerRam_old
                              The more Jimmy Clausen film I watch...
                              by AvengerRam_old
                              ... the more impressed I am with Golden Tate.

Its almost shocking how often Clausen heaved the ball from his back foot only to be bailed out by Tate. Those kind of throws won't work in the NFL on a consistent basis.

If the Rams took Suh in the first round and Clausen somehow fell to #33, I would consider taking a shot on him. Otherwise... not interested.
                              -03-16-2010, 11:51 AM
                            • Varg6
                              Real Speculation Begins on Clausen...
                              by Varg6
                              Per ESPN.com *Rumor Central*

For over a week, we've been speculating on which NFL team would draft Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen if he went pro. Take the "if" out of that equation now, because ESPN.com's Joe Schad is reporting that Clausen will declare for the draft. So was he pushed in that direction by some unruly fans? We got word from ESPN.com's Joe Schad on Tuesday that Clausen was decked in the face by a surly Notre Dame fan on Sunday morning. It certainly didn't help keep him in school.

Clausen is one of the more intriguing names on Mel Kiper Jr.'s Big Board, and some analysts think he could be the first QB drafted this April.

Here was Kiper last week on the teams that might be interested in the gunslinger:

Mel's take-

"Leaving all the coaching chatter aside, which could obviously affect his decision, Clausen could certainly be the top quarterback taken. I think he's certainly capable of going in the top 10 or 12, and remember, St. Louis might want a quarterback, Washington might want a quarterback, we're not sure if Oakland will draft one, but they're another team with a problem at the position. The struggles at Notre Dame you can't put on Clausen. He's been battered, particularly early on. But he can play the position and personnel people know it. Comparing him and [UW's Jake] Locker, for instance, Clausen is far more refined at this stage."

----

The reason I posted this was because of that one sentence in Mel's quote about personnel people. It'll certainly be interesting to see what we do in the upcoming draft.
                              -11-26-2009, 10:44 AM
                            Working...
                            X