Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carriker

Hello Ram Nation,

Casual Rams fan here, Really i'm a Cowboys fan but since i'm living in STL I root for them when they aren't playing the boys. ( The 2008 game still hurts. lol)

I was just wondering about Carriker, it seem like the has the size and athleticism to be an all pro 4-3 DT but he just hasn't put it together. 6-6 305 is THE ideal size for that position. Can anyone tell me their opinion on why he has panned out so far.

I know he's been injured for 2/3's of his career, but has he shown flashes of brilliance or anything.

Also give me the inside scoop on Chris Long does he look like he could make the pro-bowl anytime in soon.

BTW I believe that the Rams should look into getting Julius Peppers although i'm sure he is looking for a winning team and not just a paycheck.

Re: Carriker

You pretty much nailed it with Carriker, he can't stay on the field or sometimes even get on the field due to injuries. He's shown that he is starting amterial in the little bit Ive got to see hima ctually play, but we stillr eally don't know what we have with him. Chris Long came along great towards the end of this season and we expect him to put up double digit sacks next season and a solid 60 tackles. A lot of that depends on what the Rams do this offseason, namely if Suh is brought in with the first pick.

Comment

if the rams are gonna drat suh i dont think theres any chance theyll talk about signing peppers. i think the rams are in need of a run stuffing dt like vince wilfolf or pat williams. the DT we go should either be on special teams or the practice squad cause dont any of them play or stay healthy.

Comment

Adam has also been playing out of his natural DE position.
        temp_4394_1467243487543_20
        RAMS!

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFanSam View Post
          Adam has also been playing out of his natural 3-4 DE position.
          Fixed it for you. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
            Fixed it for you. ;)
            Thanks, Nick.
            temp_4394_1467243487543_20
            RAMS!

Comment

First off Carriker is playing DT and not his natural position DE. Also the previous Rams regime made Carriker put on more weight and that affected his game play. And (in my opinion) tall players dnt do so well in the middle of lines, i think it has something to do with their center of gravity. Ive noticed shorter fatter players do better probably because their center of gravity is lower to the ground while carriker's is higher up and easier to get at.

Comment

Originally posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
                First off Carriker is playing DT and not his natural position DE.
                The only scheme in which DE is Carriker's natural position is a 3-4. He would not be playing his natural position by lining up as a 4-3 DE.

Also the previous Rams regime made Carriker put on more weight and that affected his game play.
                Perhaps, but Carriker was already at 296 pounds prior to being drafted by the Rams. Did the extra ten to fifteen pounds really affect his game that much?

And (in my opinion) tall players dnt do so well in the middle of lines, i think it has something to do with their center of gravity. Ive noticed shorter fatter players do better probably because their center of gravity is lower to the ground while carriker's is higher up and easier to get at.
                Nose tackles generally aren't tall as that can hinder their ability to maintain good leverage. But three technique tackles can be. Some of the NFL's best 4-3 DTs (Kevin Williams, Albert Haynesworth, and John Henderson) are tall players.

Comment

For his size / speed, Andy was a marginal DE prospect from the very beginning. The allure was always that with his size and speed he was a premier DT. It just hasn't materialized.

He had the ankle injury in college that has followed him to the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                    The only scheme in which DE is Carriker's natural position is a 3-4. He would not be playing his natural position by lining up as a 4-3 DE.

Perhaps, but Carriker was already at 296 pounds prior to being drafted by the Rams. Did the extra ten to fifteen pounds really affect his game that much?

Nose tackles generally aren't tall as that can hinder their ability to maintain good leverage. But three technique tackles can be. Some of the NFL's best 4-3 DTs (Kevin Williams, Albert Haynesworth, and John Henderson) are tall players.
                    Alright NICK, enlighten the frick outta me. Since all my assumptions are wrong, what did happen to Carriker that he sucks so bad now?

Comment

Alright NICK, enlighten the frick outta me. Since all my assumptions are wrong, what did happen to Carriker that he sucks so bad now?
                      I think the two biggest factors are (1) he's been injured and (2) he wasn't able to settle in to one spot, because the Rams had him shifting back and forth between the nose and the three-technique. But it's hard to make progress at either spot when you're constantly dealing with injuries.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tony Soprano
                        Carriker probably can't wait !
                        by Tony Soprano
                        Carriker has been misused and is playing out of position and I believe he can't wait for things to change around Rams Park.

There have been hints that things were terribly wrong with the Ram's organization since Linehan was brought in, but one that stands out is the use of Carriker as a Nose Tackle.

Number 1, Big Run Stuffers (one dimensional) aren't that hard to come by - they just aren't. I can name a bunch that have been taken in Round 3 and later.

Number 2, Carriker is not a Nose Tackle! When was the last time someone excelled at the Nose that was 6'6"? Leverage is most of that position and a 6'6" NT will have problems consistently getting under the center.

Carriker's career is going to be severely cut short from getting stuck out of position in a slot where players are abused and regularly hit from multiple angles by multiple OL.

If you put Carriker is say Chicago's system as a DT, he's a player the offense will have to account for.

I am ready to move on to a new coaching staff and front office and I'm sure that Carriker is too.

/
                        -09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
                      • MauiRam
                        Adam Carriker on the road to recovery
                        by MauiRam
                        By Nick Wagoner

Senior Writer
                        In putting the finishing touches on a solid rookie campaign, the normally reserved Adam Carriker couldn’t help but let his emotions get the better of him.

Carriker had started the whole season, working as a valuable cog in a defense in which he played every position on the line. Suddenly any joy he had been able to take from his first season work vanished, replaced by the stinging pain in his bent back shoulder.

“I’m not going to lie,” Carriker said. “I was pretty livid. I was like ‘Are you serious?’ I go the whole year, I don’t know how many plays I played and then the last game of the year I get hurt. I was really upset.”

t was the second play of the game against Arizona on Dec.30, the season finale and Carriker’s last chance to make a strong first impression. As per usual for the defensive tackle, Carriker was taking on a double team.

Carriker tried to get off the blocks but felt his shoulder moving in the opposite direction of the rest of his body. Finally, the shoulder popped and Carriker found himself in a great deal of pain.

Carriker did his best to play through the pain, finishing the first half and playing the early portion of the third quarter. By then, it had become clear to Carriker and the coaching staff that he was no longer effective and simply trying to tough it out. A quarter and a half early, Carriker’s rookie season ended abruptly.

When Carriker arrived back in St. Louis, he met with the medical staff to determine the severity of his injury. The verdict? A torn labrum in his shoulder that would require six months of rehabilitation.

In other words, from the time Carriker had surgery in the middle of January, he wouldn’t be able to return to the field until training camp in July at the earliest.
                        At least, that was what the doctors ordered. But judging the progress Carriker has made in the past four plus months and the fact that he’s doing some individual work at this weekend’s minicamp, there’s a strong chance Carriker will not only be ready to go in time for training camp but could be at full strength.

“I think it is amazing how fast he has recovered,” coach Scott Linehan said. “Generally, with an injury like that, it is four to six months before you can do anything. I think in this case he could probably be able to play a game if we had to play one. I said it was youth but I think a lot of it has to do with work ethic and want. That guy has been busting his butt since the end of the season to get to where he is at. It has really paid off.”

Indeed, Carriker has attacked his rehab with the same voracious appetite that helped make him the Rams’ No. 1 pick in 2007. Soon after his surgery, Carriker wasn’t able to lift his arm above his shoulder without the help of someone else.

Within a few weeks, his range of motion...
                        -05-11-2008, 05:33 PM
                      • general counsel
                        carriker, on this we can all agree
                        by general counsel
                        One great thing about this board is that on almost any topic we discuss, there are a variety of opinions that are reasonable. On almost any subject, there is typically a strong minority view that makes for lively debate.

However, i dont see how ANYONE can have a problem with either the selection or the play of adam carriker. He has met or exceeded all expectations and the expectations were quite high. He is going to be a stalwart on this team for years to come. I cant way to see chris long join him on the line!

Clifton Ryan has stats that are as good or better than carriker and he has to be considered one of the steals of the draft.

The play of Spoon is directly related to tying up blockers in front of him. Spoon is having a pro bowl year and the play of carriker and ryan is a HUGE part of that.

the future is bright for our defense. Add chris long and get leonard back healthy and we look like a top 1/3 defense in my view (health permitting of course as we learned this year)

Does anyone out there have a problem with carriker?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                        -12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
                      • Tony Soprano
                        We are misusing Carriker
                        by Tony Soprano
                        Run Stuffers are much easier to find than pass rushers. Carriker's talents are being wasted and it remains to be seen whether he can make the transition to NG at 6'6'.

It was a bad idea to take an early-mid first round pick and make him into a project at another position. He should play DE and maybe some of the 3 technique tackle, but
                        it's a waste to play him at NG. Not to mention Carriker's career would be extended by playing DE or 3 technique.

Move him to RDE and let him play.
                        -09-25-2007, 02:48 AM
                      • r8rh8rmike
                        Adam Carrikers Climb Back Up The Depth Chart
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        Adam Carriker's climb back up the depth chart
                        by VanRam on Aug 31, 2009 3:20 PM CDT in 2009 preseason

Adam Carriker will have to work hard this season to avoid the dreaded bust label that stalks first round picks like a bad groupie. Though it's still way too early to hang that stone around his neck, 2009 is make or break for the St. Louis Rams defensive tackle and 2007 first round pick.

For a "make or break" season, 2009 is already off to a rough start for Carriker, whose ankle injury (the same one that dogged him in his first two years at Nebraska and again last season) flared up and made Gary Gibson the current starter at left defensive tackle. The good news is that Gary Gibson looks to have been a nice get for the team, adding depth at a position where they've lacked it recently. The extra motivation for Carriker to fight his way back to the starting job doesn't hurt either.

But is Carriker really a bust? The fact that injuries have plagued his career since he tore a labrum late in his rookie season feed that impression. You can't be a success if you're not on the field, and being on the field at less than 100% in the NFL doesn't make it any easier for young players to develop into reliable starters.Being moved around the defensive line in his first season didn't help the rookie's development either.

The sorry state of the Rams run defense hasn't helped perceptions of Carriker either. Carriker might get too much blame for the porous limestone that was the Rams run defense. According to data at Football Outsiders, Carriker has done better than it seems against the run since his rookie year. The chart below looks at rushing plays targeting Carriker over the last two seasons and accounts for the number of stops he made, the number of defeats (total number of plays by a defensive player that prevent the offense from gaining first down yardage on third or fourth down, stop the offense behind the line of scrimmage, or result in a turnover.) and the yards per attempt on those plays.

Year Plays Stops Defts YPA
                        2007 26 23 6 1.5
                        2008 23 20 4 2.1

Carriker's rookie numbers are nice, and his numbers last year could have been a lot worse when factoring in a bum ankle. The Rams problems against the run had much more to do with the team's weak spots at linebacker and strong safety, not to mention the lack of a stronger nose tackle.

Against the pass Carriker hasn't shown himself to be the force many thought he could be. He did have two sacks (and a safety) in 2007; one of those came while he was lined up at DE. He didn't ge much penetration last year, but that certainly had to do with his ankle and a defense that didn't push tackles send up the field as heavily as others. Under Spagnuolo and Flajole, Carriker is expected to do better in a more aggressive system, where he'll play in the gaps rather than...
                        -08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
                      Working...
                      X