X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A scout's perspective

A scout's perspective
    by CaliRamMan on Feb 22, 2010 10:17 PM CST 0 comments

A good read from a former scout, Daniel Jeremiah. He breaks down several questions, especially ones that have been flying all over the place on this site. When discussing the best overall player in the draft, check out what he has to say about Mr. Suh:

I think he can play anywhere. That’s what I like so much about him. He could play inside at nose, he could be a 3-technique, he could play end if you needed him too. If you wanted to get real big on first down, you could line him up at end and have a monster end. I think his versatility fits into any defense.

Where does he rank the big guy:

He’s the best interior defensive lineman I have graded in six years. Last year, I was in Cleveland and we were going to have a top five pick and I went all over the country to do all the top players and he was my top player assuming he would have came out last year. He was my top player in last year’s draft.

What do you hve to say about Sam Bradford?

The only thing that would deter me from (Suh) that is if Sam Bradford checked out 100 percent healthy and your doctors were OK with durability concerns and you feel like he fits perfectly with what you do. Because if you don’t have a quarterback, that has to weigh into it. But that’s the only other option.

I liked Bradford because of the accuracy. In terms of where he would have gone with those other guys, I think he would very much have been in the discussion with Stafford and Sanchez and been a for sure top 10 pick and maybe threatened to be the first pick.

How about Mr. Clausen?

I need to do more (tape watching) on him. I’ve seen like two games. I need to see more. I need to watch some more tape on him. The problem I have on him is that his completion percentage is really high so a lot of times people confuse that with accuracy. But a lot of times, his ball placement was off, he puts the ball on the wrong shoulder. His footwork, he needs to clean that up, definitely.

I always love to read what scouts have to say. They rarely have an agenda and can be straight when giving an assessment of a prospect. Not to mention, they see things that the average Joe just doesn't think to look for. They look beyond the numbers! Here you go if you wanna read on for yourself:

The official site of the St. Louis Rams - Blog - 2009
    Last edited by Nick; -02-23-2010, 08:42 AM. Reason: No links!
    :ramlogo:

Re: A scout's perspective

Originally posted by eldfan View Post
    The problem I have on him is that his completion percentage is really high so a lot of times people confuse that with accuracy. But a lot of times, his ball placement was off, he puts the ball on the wrong shoulder.
    I think this is the single biggest issue that gets missed. So many times the difference between 4th and 2 and a first down is the position the ball is delivered. You just can't allow your WRs to slow down or stop to catch a ball and expect them to get yards after the catch.

This is why I've never liked Matt Stafford. The guy has a rocket for an arm but his accuracy is very sub par. So many of his completions are when the receiver is stopped or barely moving and that's not how you move the sticks in the NFL.

Comment

OH WOW!

That just makes me want SUH a Ram even more.

I would not have thought of playing SUH at D-End.

If Rams Front office is deadset on drafting a QB in round one, I hope they trade back in the draft.
      Take Bucs 2nd pick in rd 2 (42nd pick overall from Chicago through Bucs) and there 3rd rd pick.
      If Washington trades with Lions to move ahead of the Rams to draft QB Bradford then the Rams will hopefully take McCoy one of the DT's left on the Board.
      They could trade down again for more picks and pick up DE - D. Morgan, DT - B. Price, WR - D. Bryant, or RB - C. J. Spiller.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelYell View Post
        I think this is the single biggest issue that gets missed. So many times the difference between 4th and 2 and a first down is the position the ball is delivered. You just can't allow your WRs to slow down or stop to catch a ball and expect them to get yards after the catch.

This is why I've never liked Matt Stafford. The guy has a rocket for an arm but his accuracy is very sub par. So many of his completions are when the receiver is stopped or barely moving and that's not how you move the sticks in the NFL.
        Say what you want about Stafford. I've never really been a fan of him as an overall prospect but in all my time watching QB's at the collegiate level, he was the most accurate guy I've ever seen while on the move. I thought it was astonishing.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
          If the Rams stay at pick #1, there are really only 4 candidates.
          by AvengerRam_old
          If the Rams don't trade down from the first pick in the draft, their choice really comes down to four players.

The Frontrunner: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
          I call Suh the frontrunner because he is the player that most people consider the best prospect in the draft. While I obviously don't have any inside information from the Rams, I certainly can see a coach like Steve Spagnuolo, who built a champion defense on the strength of the D line, favoring Suh.

The Dark-Horse Candidate: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
          While he is currently overshadowed by Suh, he is still considered a top 3-5 pick. If Suh slides during the evaluation period, while McCoy shines, he could rise to the top.

The Cult Favorite: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
          Those who like Clausen really like him. In my opinion, his size is potentially an issue, and I'll be curious how he is reported as comporting himself in interviews. That said... QBs can rise quickly in the eyes of scouts, coaches and personnel guys. Just ask Mark Sanchez.

The Forgotten Candidate: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
          Bradford may have been the first pick in the 2009 draft had he come out. Now he stands as the poster child for those who advocate early departures from college. Still, if he passes all the tests he'll be put through in the next few months, teams could fall in love again with his 2008 game tapes.

There are other top prospects who I really don't think the Rams would take No. 1 overall. I have Derrick Morgan rated #2 on my draft board, but I really don't see the Rams passing on Suh (or McCoy) to take him. Eric Berry and Joe Haden are A list DBs who will both go in the top 10 selections, but again, not to the Rams at No. 1. The Rams may like C.J. Spiller (as do I), but they can't afford to take a RB at No. 1 unless they trade Jackson, which isn't likely to happen. Finally, Dez Bryant, though a top WR prospect, does not appear to be a guy who would go that high.

So, in my book... its one of these four players or a trade down (which I don't expect to happen).

Anyone think there are more than four candidates?
          -01-18-2010, 04:45 PM
        • Nick
          Question: Is there a scenario where the Rams take a QB first overall?
          by Nick
          Let me preface this by saying that I was thinking about the Rams’ options with their first round pick, and as I continued to think about the possibilities, a thought occurred to me. I don’t know if it’s a good thought, I don’t know if it’s an accurate thought. I’m not even sure I completely agree with it myself. But it’s something that crossed my mind that I wanted to get some input on.

Here’s the question: Is there a scenario in which the Rams take a quarterback with the first overall pick in this draft?

To some, the answer is no way – Suh is the pick the whole way. To others, the answer is absolutely – if the Rams think Clausen or Bradford are franchise-caliber quarterbacks, they should take them without question. So obviously there’s a scenario where it could happen, right?

Anything’s possible in the draft, so the Rams certainly could take a quarterback with the first overall pick. But consider this - Ndamukong Suh is highly regarded around the league. More than anyone else, he’s viewed as the best overall prospect in this class. In talks with NFL front office personnel, Peter King reported that many felt Suh was the best defensive prospect to come out in quite some time. Some have gone so far as to compare him to Reggie White.

That’s lofty praise, and it’s the kind of praise that makes you believe teams will be willing to trade up to the first overall pick when normally such talk would be pretty ridiculous. The team that some Rams fans have their eyes on is Tampa Bay. As trading partners, the Bucs make sense for a couple of reasons.

One, the main reason trading down is so hard is because it takes two teams to pull it off. But Tampa looks like an ideal partner. Picking third in the draft, Tampa is desperate for help at the DT position. And it’s very likely that they could miss out on both of the top tackles, if the Rams select Suh and the Detroit Lions select Oklahoma lineman Gerald McCoy. Now, this appears to be a rather deep class at the defensive tackle position. The Buccaneers are also a team trying to rebuild themselves into a contender, so they’re not going to mortgage the stadium in order to move up and take Suh. But I have little doubt that they’d be interested in trading something in order to move up and take such a highly regarded player.

Two, and more importantly to the Rams, neither the Buccaneers nor the Lions will have any interest in drafting a quarterback with their first pick. Both took quarterbacks in the first round of last year’s draft, so they’re set at the position. If the Rams are determined to select either Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen or Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford as their first round pick, they can afford to swap picks with Tampa Bay and will in all likelihood still have their choice of quarterbacks at that spot. Moving down further than third jeopardizes...
          -01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
        • AvengerRam_old
          A common statement I've read about Bradford that makes no sense to me.
          by AvengerRam_old
          I've lost track of how many times I've read comments from commentators and fans that have expressed the idea that Bradford is worth the 4th or 5th pick in the draft, but not the 1st.

Huh?

How does that make sense?

From the Rams perspective, if they want to take Bradford, obviously it would be advantageous to trade down, get more picks, and still get him.

But what if that option simply is not available? I find it hard to hard to comprehend how anyone can say his combination of size/skill/college production/medical reports/interviews make him good enough to merit the 4th pick, but not the 1st.

When I say this, I'm not talking about his value in comparison to other prospects. I have no beef with someone simply saying "he's worth the 4th pick because he's the 4th best player in the draft." That's not the analysis I'm talking about. I'm talking about those who say "he'd be a reach at No. 1" and then turn around and say "he's a good selection at No. 4."

Again... huh?

A QB selected with the 4th pick in the draft is expected to become the starter no later than his second or third season, and to become a successful starting QB for a decade. If you think QB prospect is good enough to do that, how is he not good enough to warrant the first pick. Isn't a 10 year successful starting QB worth the first pick in the draft?

To me, when the Rams look at Bradford, the quesiton should be is he (1) someone they envision as being a "franchise" QB, or (2) not.

If the answer is (1), he's worth the first pick (that's not to say he'd necessarily be the best BPA, but he would be a worthy first pick). If the answer is (2), he shouldn't be taken with the first, the third, the fifth or the eleventh pick.
          -02-25-2010, 06:58 PM
        • AvengerRam_old
          Sam Bradford is the true "Wild Card" for the Rams first choice.
          by AvengerRam_old
          Last year at about this time, I suggested that, by the time the draft rolled around, Mark Sanchez could be on the Rams short list of players to select with the second pick in the draft. Many scoffed and, truth be told, even I was a bit uncertain with my prognostication. Of course, in the end, Sanchez rose from late first round prospect and became a top 5 pick on the strength of his workouts and interviews.

I can see a similar scenario occurring with Sam Bradford.

Last year, before Bradford decided to return to Oklahoma, many had him rated as a potential first pick in the draft. Then, as fate would have it, his season was scuttled by a shoulder injury.

Now, he is still considered a top 10 pick by most, but there are question marks.

So here are the "what ifs."

What if the doctors say he is fine and that there should be no long term impact from his shoulder injury?

What if he impresses at the Combine and/or his individual workouts?

What if he presents as a confident leader in his interviews?

If these things happen, the Rams very well could decide that the time is now to take a chance at drafting a potential franchise QB.

If that occurs, there will still be decisions to make. The Rams could, of course, simply select Bradford first. Alternatively, they could smokescreen a desire to take Ndamukong Suh and try to trade down. The logical trade partner would be Tampa, who likely would covet Suh, and would not take QB with the first choice (having spent a first round pick last year on a QB). Such a plan would not be foolproof, though. If, as some have speculated, the Redskins want Bradford, they could trade up with Detroit and take him at #2, thereby leaving the Rams to take who? (G.McCoy? Clausen?).

I'll leave the trade issue out of the analysis for now and simply say this.

Right now, I see Suh as being a prospect who is extremely likely (say 75%) to be an impact player at a very important position.

Right now, I see Bradford as being a prospect who has a decent chance (say 40-50%) to be an impact player at the MOST important position.

With those odds, I go with Suh (absent a great trade offer).

But if Bradford's stock rises, and I start to see him as having a better than 50% chance of being a franchise QB... then the choice becomes very difficult.

Bottom line: we're in the first lap of a multi-lap race. Its way too early to call the winner.
          -02-02-2010, 09:03 AM
        • AvengerRam_old
          In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.
          by AvengerRam_old
          We must all fight against those who will inevitably try to pick apart Ndamukong Suh as a prospect.

It happens EVERY year. There are players who, in November/December, are viewed as premium prospects who... for no reason other than the availablity of a platform for every yokel on the planet with a opionion... are nitpicked to the point where they become UNDERvalued.

For example, last year, Michael Oher was viewed as a top 10 pick throughout the NCAA season. Then, a the season ended and the "evaluation" period began, people began to question him (mainly regarding subjective criteria). As a result, he ends up as the 22nd pick in the draft (only to play like an early first rounder as a rookie).

Who knows how or why it will happen to Suh. Maybe he'll weigh in at 295 instead of 300. Maybe he'll run the 40 slightly slower than expected. Maybe someone will hyper-focus on some aspect of his personality or past. But, mark my words, there will be people who will try to argue that he's not worthy of the first pick in the draft.

If you've watched him play, you know better. If you look at his stats (which are OFF THE CHART for a DT), you know better.

Ndamukong Suh is the best prospect in the draft.

He will still be the best prospect in the draft in April.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
          -12-18-2009, 11:57 AM
        Working...
        X