X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Av's Pre-Combine/Pro Days QB Ranking

Here's how I rank the QB prospects going into the pre-draft testing season:

1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma [STEADY]
    If Bradford has recovered from his shoulder injury, I think he is firmly entrenched as the No. 1 QB in the draft. He has the size, accuracy and quick release that scouts look for in a QB prospect. I don't know if the Rams will consider him as a potential first pick, but he'll be gone within the first ten.

2. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame [STEADY/FALLING]
    Right now, I have Clausen as the clear No. 2 QB, and a likely top 20 pick. I do think, however, that he might not measure up in either the height or arm strength categories. He also will have to overcome the perception of immaturity. If he has a good testing season, he'll stay right where he is, and could be taken as early as picks 5-10. If not, he could drop into the second round.

3. Colt McCoy, Texas [FALLING]
    Fair or not, the most recent memories people will have about McCoy are him being rag-dolled, first by Ndamukong Suh and then by the Alabama defense. Meanwhile, other QBs below him have had good showings in the bowl games and All-Star games. Still, if he can show reasonable arm strenth when he works out (I believe he is going to throw at the Combine), he should stop the falling trend and hold firm as the third QB off the board, probably in Round 2 of the draft.

4. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan [STEADY/RISING]
    I would have given LeFevour a grade of "rising" if no for his questionable decision not to throw at the Combine. Still, after his performances at the GMAC Bowl and the Senior Bowl, he is a prospect on the rise. I think he's a Round 2 or 3 prospect right now, but could be firmly within Round 2 (or even late first round) by April.

5. Tony Pike, Cincinnati [FALLING]
    Pike is a hot and cold prospect. Watch some of his game films, and he looks like a Blue Chip prospect. Then, watch some more, and he looks like a college/system QB who is not quite ready for Prime Time. I think there will be quite a bit of scrutiny of Pike in the coming weeks, and my gut tells me he might not fare so well. I expect he'll be gone by the end of Round 3, but he might last until Round 4.

6. Levi Brown, Troy [RISING]
    I may be alone on this one, but I think Brown could be this draft's biggest sleeper. Watch his game film, and you could easily conclude that he has a better arm than Clausen, McCoy, LeFevour and Pike. He also has ideal size. Right now, most probably have him ranked as a 4th or 5th round pick, at best. I think he could be a Round 2 or 3 value.

7. Jarrett Brown, West Virginia [STEADY/RISING]
    Brown opened some eyes with his Senior Bowl performance. I think he is a prospect on the rise as a result, and could be selected as early as Round 4. But, is he the QB equivalent of a workout wonder? His career 16 TDs and 13 Ints (11/9 last year) might suggest that the answer is yes.

8. Jevan Snead, Ole Miss [RISING]
    How can a QB who threw 20 interceptions in his final college season be rising? Well, I think its a cycle. There was a time he was considered a potential Round 1 or 2 prospect. Then he crashed down to Earth with some dismal performances in 2009. Now, in a sense, he can only go up. He certainly has the size and arm to wow the scouts, but I think he's a pretty big project.

9. Tim Hiller, Western Michigan [STEADY/RISING]
    Hiller, like Levi Brown, may be another example of an underrated prospect. He is big (6'5, 235) and had a very productive career (99 TD passses in 44 games). In all likelihood, he'll go in the 5th to 7th round. I don't know if he's a guy who will ever start, but I think he could be developed.

10. Tim Tebow, Florida [STEADY/FALLING]
    Tebow will likely be remembered as a cautionary tale for players who should avoid the Senior Bowl. Don't buy into the reports that he is changing his throwing style (or the nonsense that he's not trying to do so because of criticism). He is what he is - a good kid, a great athlete and not much of a QB. I suppose some team might still take a flyer on him way before he should be taken but, to me, he's a late round project.

Other notables not listed: Sean Canfield, Oregon; John Skelton, Fordham; Daryll Clark, Penn State; Max Hall, BYU
    Last edited by AvengerRam_old; -02-23-2010, 03:44 PM.

Re: Av's Pre-Combine/Pro Days QB Ranking

How is Bradford ahead of Clausen BEFORE the Combine and Pro day?

Unless he proves that shoulder is fine he shouldn't be ahead of Clausen

Comment

Originally posted by BarronWade View Post
      How is Bradford ahead of Clausen BEFORE the Combine and Pro day?

Unless he proves that shoulder is fine he shouldn't be ahead of Clausen
      Only if you start from a presumption that his shoulder isn't fine and that he needs to prove otherwise. Every report I have read has indicated that his rehab is ahead of schedule. If his Pro Day demonstrates otherwise, then he'll be downgraded accordingly.

When healthy, I think the gap between Bradford and Clausen is pretty significant, so Clausen would have to really wow the scouts (which he won't have a chance to until his own injury heals) to move to my No. 1 spot.

Comment

I agree with the top five here. Bradford can cement his status at the top if he can get back into throwing condition before the draft. As long as doctors don't expect the injury to have lingering effects or increased chance of recurrence, he should go in the top ten.

As far as Tebow is concerned, I don't know whether he's the tenth best quarterback in this class or not, but I am pretty sure he's not going to be the tenth taken. If Pat White is a second round pick and Brad Smith is a fourth rounder, I'll split the difference and say someone will take him in the third if he's still on the board.

Re: Levi Brown, the Sun Belt is by far the worst conference in Division I football. That has to make it tough for teams to evaluate the film on him.

Comment

I agree that Tebow may very well be one of the top 5 QBs taken. All it takes is one team to see something in him that the other 31 don't.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
            The Watercooler: Who Are The Rams' Top Draft Options At QB?
            by r8rh8rmike
            10.22.2009 12:27 pm
            Who are Ramsí top draft options at QB?
            By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: If the St. Louis Rams were to take a quarterback in the first round of next yearís draft, which current college quarterback would you suggest they select?

BERNIE MIKLASZ
            Very tough call, and of course I reserve the right to change my mind later, after these kids play more games and also go through the NFL Scouting Combine. Because a lot can change between now and the draft. But if we are talking right now, Iíd go with Washingtonís Jake Locker. Big (6-3), strong and athletic, Locker has a plus arm, and a quick release. Heís been thriving in the pro-style offense installed by first-year head coach Steve Sarkisian. Also, Locker is being tutored by one of the best, QBs coach Steve Clarkson, who in the past has worked with Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Leinart and others. Clarkson cleaned up Lockerís mechanics and the improvement was immediate. And keep in mind that Locker is getting it done at Washington, and heís not surrounded by elite talent. That makes his performance even more impressive.

Notre Dameís Jimmy Clausen has moved up as an NFL prospect. Clausen has always had the natural talent, but heís grown at Notre Dame, and is more physically imposing now. Looks like a tough kid, too. He is certainly used to pressure and it doesnít get to him. The best is yet to come for Clausen. The red flags are out on Oklahomaís Sam Bradford; itís not only the shoulder injuries, but the questions of whether he can throw while under pressure, because he doesnít encounter much of a pass rush at OU. Cincinnatiís Tony Pike could be the steal of the draft; heís likely to be downgraded and drop down the board because of multiple injuries to his left wrist. But heís a player. Not sure if Colt McCoy (Texas) has the frame, but he seems like a good fit for a West Coast offense. Jevan Snead (Ole Miss) has been touted by scouts and draftniks, but I havenít seen enough (yet) to get excited by his NFL future. Again, that could change. All of this could.

VAHE GREGORIAN
            With his bum shoulder this season, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford may be losing stock for the 2010 draft or may even be considering waiting another year to come out. But if heís available, the Rams would be wise to snap him up. Although he could stand to be more mobile, especially considering the Rams line, last yearís Heisman Trophy winner has all the tools to build a team around: accuracy (67.9 percent of his passes last season), height (6-4) and a leadership presence that makes players want to play better just for him, OU coach Bob Stoops says. Maybe some will see the shoulder injury and apparent aggravation of it last week against Texas as something chronic or signs he is brittle, but sometimes quarterbacks just get hit and hurt. Thereís no reason to think itís anything more with Bradford.

JEFF...
            -10-22-2009, 05:20 PM
          • npow81
            For Me...Its Down to Three QBs
            by npow81
            After seeing everybody play in Mobile, and keeping everything in mind (estimated draft position, etc.) if we are to draft a qb in this draft I think it comes down to three players.

Colt McCoy
            Tony Pike
            Dan Lefevour

I know the Clausen and Bradford supporters might come out and state their case, but I honestly don't think the value of either supercedes (1) taking the BPA at #1 (or even at #3 as some want), which they certainly are not (2) the difference in ability from the three above players.

Personally, while I wouldn't be disappointed seeing us draft McCoy at the top of the second, if he's there, again I think the same principle as above comes into play in the second and there is too little difference in value between McCoy and Pike and Lefevour to bypass the bevy of talent likely available at that slot.

Therefore, hoping (and praying) either Pike or Lefevour is available in the third I take the remaining qb in the third and I think we have our qb of the future. Either of which I would be plenty happy with. As always, its a roll of the dice drafting a qb, but I think this situation will maximize value while minimizing the risk associated with drafting a qb and allowing us to fulfill other important holes along the way.
            -01-31-2010, 03:29 AM
          • ManofGod
            Top 5 Senior QB's
            by ManofGod
            According to Mel Kiper Jr., the top 5 senior QB's are as follows:

1. Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
            2. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
            3. Dan Lefevour, QB, Central Michigan
            4. Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati
            5. Sean Canfield, QB, Oregon State

I believe a few of you may be suprised by this order, and whether you are a fan of his Kiper or not, he does seem to have acces to what many NFL teams are looking for when it comes to the draft. Now this draft order is current (1/8/10), and of course we will have to wait until the combine to see who's stock falls, who's rises, and who simply falls off of the face of the earth.

Now since we have the #1 pick in almost every round, baring a monumental improvement by these five men, they will all be available in the 2nd round for us & if necessary the 3rd or 4th. Now I know many of you are Pike fans, and some of you favor McCoy or Lefevour. Some of you even believe in the magic that is Tim Tebow (as I do), but we obviously need to look towards our QB of the future. I believe we start Bulger this season for many reasons most notably being financial, but we do need to start grooming the successor.

With that being said my fellow clam members, who from these 5 men would you want behind center as the #2 or #3 QB(provided that we move Null up to #2, or pick up another free agent in the off-season)?
            -01-08-2010, 01:34 PM
          • AvengerRam_old
            What I'm looking for in a franchise QB
            by AvengerRam_old
            Taking a franchise QB prospect in the top 10 picks of the draft is a daunting task. Will you end up with the next Matt Ryan/Joe Flacco, or the next Alex Smith/Jamarcus Russell?

There will never be a pefect formula for this, and if there were, I doubt I'd be the one to discover it, but for what its worth, here are the things I'm looking for:

1. MPTs (Minimum Physical Traits)
            Top QBs don't all come in the same shape and size, but I do think there are a few minimum traits that, if lacked, will doom a QB to no better than mediocrity. They are: arm strength, physical bulk, and "pocket footwork."

Arm strength refers to the ability to get the ball out and to a receiver quickly. It is a function of two factors: (1) release speed and (2) velocity. One factor can compensate for another, but the best QBs have both.

Physical bulk, I believe, is more important than height. I'd rather have a well-built 6'1 QB, than a 6'6 string-bean. Otherwise, an injury-filled career is too big a risk.

Finally, "pocket footwork" is, in my opinion, far more important than running ability. Give me a guy who knows how to step-up, side-step and roll out over a guy who can take off and run for first downs.

2. Contagious Confidence
            People often mistakenly mistake brashness or vocal presence for leadership. To me, its more a question of a guy who displays confidence in his demeanor, what he says, and how he plays when the chips are down. Give me a guy who can throw 3 interceptions in the first half, shrug it off, and throw for 3 TDs in the second half.

3. Unaided College Productivity
            Combines and workouts serve a purpose, nothing compares to productivity in game conditions. There's a caveat, though... beware of "aided" productivity. A college QB who racks up great stats in a non-pro style offense, against outmatched competition, or through "all-purpose" yardage will rarely be able to duplicate their productivity when they reach the NFL. You also have to throw out won/loss percentage, to a large extent. There are simply too many great college teams that merely carry their QB along for the ride. I'd rather have a smaller-school guy who plays in a pro-style offense and puts up great stats against teams with similar talent on the roster.

So... how do I evaluate the top current prospects for the 2010 draft?

Well, in terms of MPTs, I look at Locker and Clausen as the top prospects. McCoy and Bradford have some "bulk" issues that concern me, though in Bradford's case, his fragility may be overstated. In terms of footwork, I'd give McCoy the highest grade (though I'm not sure I've seen any college QB with better footwork than FSU's Christian Ponder).

In terms of "contagious confidence," my subjective viewpoint is that McCoy and Clausen receive high marks....
            -10-27-2009, 03:30 PM
          • eldfan
            NFL Draft Prospects: QB
            by eldfan
            Turf Show Times

The following are the QB prospects as rated by myself basing it off my eye and other scouting reports. I couldn't find a real good media outlet that has done this already so I'm doing the honors myself. It's complete with reasoning for why he does and doesn't belong in the NFL, their projected round placement, and their "upside" (for the first ten QBs)

1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma Sooners

Why He Belongs Here: He had a terrific sophomore season, but chose to bypass the NFL Draft in the hopes of a BCS Championship. He has tremendous accuracy throwing for 69.5% in 2007 and 67.9% in 2008. He averages 5.5 TDs before he threw an interception in his Oklahoma career.

Why He Doesnt: Injury concerns (played in three games, one full one in 2009), has a ton of weapons he won't get in the NFL, he was sacked 25 times in three years (he'll likely get sacked that much in one year in NFL)

Upside - I won't be surprised if he's a bust given his great talent around him at Oklahoma, but I certainly won't be surprised if he's a 3 time Pro Bowler either.... hence his upside

Projected Pick: Top Ten

The next 26 QBs are after the jump.

2. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Why He Belongs Here: He was sacked 80 times in his career so you know he can take a hit, had a 68% CP in his junior year, improved in every stat this year signaling he's figured it out (3172 yards to 3722; 25 TDs to28; 17 INTs to 4; QB rating of 132.49 to 161.43)

Why He Doesn't: Despite those statistic s, his team went just 6-6 questioning how much of a difference he made to what was assumed to be a talented team, went 16-21 as a starter, has a cocky attitude (somewhat unwarranted), less than ideal size at 6'2

Upside - Given his stats, he could be great and it depends on whether that cocky attitude can become Phillip Rivers or not

Projected Pick: Top Ten

3. Tony Pike, Cincinnati Bearcats

Why He Belongs Here: He's got more than ideal NFL size at 6'6, 225, led Cincinnati team to the Sugar Bowl, could pick up NFL offense easy with his intelligence, very adept at moving in the pocket (something Rams desperately need)

Why he Doesn't: He didn't face elite competition and when he did.... Sugar Bowl 2010, doesn't have a particularly strong arm, was inconsistent throughout his tenure at Cincinnati

Upside - Tons especially considering he's projected a second round pick... bust here and it won't hurt u as much as a 1st round pick

Projected Pick: 2nd round

-03-03-2010, 07:37 PM
          Working...
          X