Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think the Rams will draft Suh at no. 1, but wont necessarily keep him...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I think the Rams will draft Suh at no. 1, but wont necessarily keep him...

    If the Rams truly do covet a QB, such as Sam Bradford, they may consider a trade down with a team like Tampa Bay to pick up extra picks and still get their guy in the process.

    However, its known that teams like Washington (at #4) and Seattle (at #6) could also be in the market for a QB.
    If one of these teams wants a particular QB, they may wish to move up the draft to grab him.

    So if the Rams do trade down with Tampa before the first pick is made, a team like Washington could easily switch with Detroit and steal the QB the Rams are after. That would leave the Rams in quandary as they would presumably then take someone like Gerald McCoy. Who while still a good DT, wasnt one of the guys they wanted.

    To prevent this, i believe that if the Rams do want to trade down for a QB, they will do a rights switch after the players have been drafted. The Rams will take Suh at No.1. If Tampa is then in a postion to draft Bradford, they will take him. Only then will the trade take place.

    If the Rams cant work out a trade, they simply stay at #1 and take Suh. Either way, they either get the guy thats supposed to be the best player in the draft, or the QB that the team wants. But they wont leave themself open to missing the guy they are after.
    @EssexRam_

  • #2
    Re: I think the Rams will draft Suh at no. 1, but wont necessarily keep him...

    Has that ever been done? A team drafts a guy then 10 minutes later trades him? I'm not saying that would happen but i mean wouldn't that leave a really bad taste in that guys mouth? He comes out there all pumped and puts the jersey on, then he has to through that jersey away and play for another team. I don't know if i would want to piss Suh off like that....

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I think the Rams will draft Suh at no. 1, but wont necessarily keep him...

      Originally posted by CanadianRamsFan View Post
      Has that ever been done? A team drafts a guy then 10 minutes later trades him? I'm not saying that would happen but i mean wouldn't that leave a really bad taste in that guys mouth? He comes out there all pumped and puts the jersey on, then he has to through that jersey away and play for another team. I don't know if i would want to piss Suh off like that....
      Rare but it's happened. Eli Manning would be the last one I can think of off hand.

      As for the OP... and if the Rams like McCoy more? Then what? You're gambling with the fact that you would select the guy that the team you want to trade with truly covets and how would you know that exactly?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I think the Rams will draft Suh at no. 1, but wont necessarily keep him...

        Originally posted by Ramzee View Post
        Rare but it's happened. Eli Manning would be the last one I can think of off hand.

        As for the OP... and if the Rams like McCoy more? Then what? You're gambling with the fact that you would select the guy that the team you want to trade with truly covets and how would you know that exactly?
        Everything would be agreed prior to the draft. If the Rams coveted McCoy more they wouldnt make the deal.
        @EssexRam_

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I think the Rams will draft Suh at no. 1, but wont necessarily keep him...

          Originally posted by tomahawk247 View Post
          If the Rams truly do covet a QB, such as Sam Bradford, they may consider a trade down with a team like Tampa Bay to pick up extra picks and still get their guy in the process.

          However, its known that teams like Washington (at #4) and Seattle (at #6) could also be in the market for a QB.
          If one of these teams wants a particular QB, they may wish to move up the draft to grab him.

          So if the Rams do trade down with Tampa before the first pick is made, a team like Washington could easily switch with Detroit and steal the QB the Rams are after. That would leave the Rams in quandary as they would presumably then take someone like Gerald McCoy. Who while still a good DT, wasnt one of the guys they wanted.

          To prevent this, i believe that if the Rams do want to trade down for a QB, they will do a rights switch after the players have been drafted. The Rams will take Suh at No.1. If Tampa is then in a postion to draft Bradford, they will take him. Only then will the trade take place.

          If the Rams cant work out a trade, they simply stay at #1 and take Suh. Either way, they either get the guy thats supposed to be the best player in the draft, or the QB that the team wants. But they wont leave themself open to missing the guy they are after.
          It seems pretty unlikely, and has the makings of a potential PR disaster.

          This isn't a situation like Eli where the prospect was taken but refused to play for the organization. Suh is going to play for whoever drafts him, and I think the Rams will come off poorly by looking like they've used the young man just to avoid the slim possibility that there's a second trade in the top four, which would simply be incredible.

          I just don't see it happening.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I think the Rams will draft Suh at no. 1, but wont necessarily keep him...

            Originally posted by tomahawk247 View Post
            Everything would be agreed prior to the draft. If the Rams coveted McCoy more they wouldnt make the deal.
            Another team that picks lower than you is going to tell you who they want so you can plan to select them and force that team into making a trade for that player?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I think the Rams will draft Suh at no. 1, but wont necessarily keep him...

              Originally posted by Nick View Post
              It seems pretty unlikely, and has the makings of a potential Page Ranking disaster.

              This isn't a situation like Eli where the prospect was taken but refused to play for the organization. Suh is going to play for whoever drafts him, and I think the Rams will come off poorly by looking like they've used the young man just to avoid the slim possibility that there's a second trade in the top four, which would simply be incredible.

              I just don't see it happening.
              I dont really see it happening either. But i see it happening more than a trade down to the number 3 spot.

              All in all i expect the Rams to draft and keep Suh. But im just throwing around some scenarios
              @EssexRam_

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I think the Rams will draft Suh at no. 1, but wont necessarily keep him...

                Suh is the best prospect but we could still get a solid DT further down by trading the number one and try and pick up Clausen or whomever is the best QB on the board. Although we are in long term build mode,

                **puts hands up anticipating bottles thrown**

                getting Vick does help us win next season, let Clausen / whoever sit for a year or 2 .... We get the best of both worlds. .. in my opinion anyway.

                Vick made mistakes .. we all do, no-one can take the high road there.
                He's paid the price, his money, served time and been humbled in front of millions of fans. He's 30 , not 40 ... Qb's, even the mobile ones play well into there 30's, they are not like running backs that take a beating 20 - 30 times a game.

                I'm not in favour of taking Vick because its Vick, im in Favour of Making this Rams team better.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I think the Rams will draft Suh at no. 1, but wont necessarily keep him...

                  I would like this scenario much better: DRAFT SUH AND KEEP HIM..

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  • sjacksonrules
                    ive been thinking
                    by sjacksonrules
                    I've been thinkin about this what if despags are just acting like they are interested in bradford just to get someone to trade up like say the redskins. Which I think the lions would draft a offensive lineman to protect their investment in qb. So that would leave us with suh or mccoy whoever the bucs didn't get. Just sounds like something they would do seeing as they are saying they would move down in the draft.
                    -03-22-2010, 11:12 PM
                  • peramoure
                    No Suh for you!
                    by peramoure
                    I've been doing some thinking, and I don't think I can go through another season with an average or late round quarterback as out future.

                    Suh is ***THE*** most coveted player in the draft. We control his fate, and we get what want in whatever trade there is. Everyone in the league would love to have him, but Suh as a DT cannot make the same impact as a franchise, Manning/Brady/Breesesque QB.

                    TRADE DOWN! Even if only a few spots, we still get Bradford or Clausen, we pull off a Chargers/Giants type trade and get all sorts of picks to fill ALL the holes we have.

                    PASS ON SUH! TRADE DOWN!
                    -12-23-2009, 03:18 PM
                  • RamFan_Til_I_Die
                    Why Draft "Experts" Annoy Me
                    by RamFan_Til_I_Die
                    I can't be the only one that gets annoyed by all these so called draft "experts" that change there mind like r8rh8rmike changes his underwear...about once a week. I'm going to use SI's main mock "expert" as an example. Not becuase he's the best, but because his past mocks are easy to find. H3e's just an example of what annoys me.

                    Don Banks 2010 NFL Mock Drafts thusfar:

                    Suh is a rock solid concensus as the surest thing. Sounds great, right?

                    So roughly a month later, the day before the DT's do anything at the combine, the rock solid concensus is now split 50/50 and McCoy is our choice. Um ok. Nothing changed so why did his opinion?

                    So because of one quote from Devaney, who is only making picks to save his job, we're now taking a QB in Stafford. Yeah ok, whatever you say Donny boy.

                    Again implying they'll pick to stay employed rather than to make the pick that helps the team the most, while also covering his backside in case they don't pick Bradford. Pretty typical "expert" BS.

                    Bradford had a good pro day so now it's a sure thing. OK now at this point I can see someone switching to Bradford as a possibility, but before no way. It just makes no sense. But even still what happened to Suh the "rock solid concensus as the surest thing.?"

                    WOW. We sure did a 180 in two and a half months didn't we. First Suh is the "rock solid concensus as the surest thing" and now to take anyone but Bradford is "the kind of stunning turn of events we haven't seen in years."

                    This is just one example of what annoys me about these "experts." McShay has flopped from Suh to Bradford also, while Kiper has flipped from Suh being "the most dominating defensive tackle I've seen in 32 years of doing this." to Clausen. It seems like they build up and exaggerate the plus side of whoever they want. For the longest time all we heard was Suh is a lock to go #1 to the Rams, and now it's a QB. Yes I know Blger is now gone, but these guys flopped to QBs while he was still here. Is it anything more than hype and these draft guys feeding off of each other that made Suh go from the guaranteed pick to now being the #2 DT behind McCoy in many people's eyes? I just don't get it. These guys annoy the crap out of me....
                    -04-17-2010, 10:26 PM
                  • Nick
                    Watercooler: Is Suh the Rams’ best choice at No. 1?
                    by Nick
                    Is Suh the Rams’ best choice at No. 1?
                    By Roger Hensley
                    01.05.2010 1:59 pm

                    THE WATERCOOLER

                    QUESTION: Now that the Rams have secured the No. 1 overall pick in next April’s NFL draft, do you think Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh is the clear-cut choice, or is there another player you might consider in that spot? Or, with so many needs, do you think it might behoove the Rams to trade down and secure more early-round draft choices?

                    JIM THOMAS
                    With so many needs, obviously the best scenario would be a trade-down that was too good to refuse. But trades at the No. 1 overall position don’t happen all that often. For now, Suh remains the clear-cut choice.

                    BILL COATS
                    The Rams might well like to trade down, but the days of gaining a raft of picks for the top spot in the draft appear to be over. Teams covet their picks, plus they know the big dollars a No. 1 overall will cost them. Suh looks like a strong front-runner at this point, although GM Billy Devaney and his personnel folks haven’t even begun to work on their draft board yet.

                    JEFF GORDON
                    Suh seems to offer a best-case scenario: a still-developing player with huge athletic potential. Many college players max out their ability in college after years of weightlifting. Suh, by contrast, came to Nebraska as a raw talent — and he didn’t really take off until this season, when he finally polished up his technique. Scouts seem to believe he will keep improving. The opportunity to add such a disruptive force at the point of attack is hard to resist. But . . . if the Rams could move down two or three spots and add some more high picks in the process, that is worth considering. Such deals are rare these days, but Suh apparently is a rare commodity.
                    -01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
                  • ludairv
                    IF NOT SUH ....then TAKE...
                    by ludairv
                    ERIC BERRY!!!!!... man watchin this team is so frustrating!!!!!! i remember the good ol days when they were the GSOT and not only that they had a solid defense!!.... its clear now the LOCKER is returning for his senior season!! and that means NO OTHER QB is worthy of a top 3 pick!
                    no way CLaussen gets chosen.... this team needds The NEXT BEST TALENT on the board and that is BERRY ...look how pathetic the Steelers Defense is without Polumalu ( its crazy that one player makes that big of a difference btw)
                    .....yes ofcourse i know the rams lack D line talent/depth ...but come on Spagnoulo has an eye for talent in that field.....look a the giants d line when they won that superbowll... ..the moajority of those guys were later round talent!!! .... If OJ goes and we get pick out of it ...hopefully we cant spend those on fillin out key postions.....i now goin from a B- to and A isnt that big of an upgrade but come. on ...in the long run.....it will damn well be worth it!!!!!:helmet::helmet::helmet:
                    -12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
                  Working...
                  X