Sproles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sproles?

I was reading on the NFL website and apparently the Chargers are going to let Sproles hit the market. This would fill the Ram's need for a solid backup running back no?
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Re: Sproles?

I think he would command to high of a price. I would rather we pick someone up from around the 4th or 5th round of the draft to be a a backup.

Comment

That is what would worry me as well. He's been a backup for several years, so he might want to go somewhere and start...and players coming off of good teams sometimes think they deserve a ton of money.

But. I think it's worth contacting him at least and making him an offer and seeing what happens. If he wants too much we'll draft someone, if he doesn't...maybe we don't have to.
      "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Comment

Sproles wont go from a contender to the Rams for a backup price tag ... he'll want to start somewhere and get paid. i think thats why the Chargers are letting test the market, they dont want to pay him what he's asking. Neither will the Rams.

Comment

Sproles would be real nice in Rams Blue.

The Rams are over 30mil. under the cap (if there was a cap).

That would solve the change of pace Back that the Rams are looking for. The Rams could consider other positions in the draft.

He is also a younger RB.

Comment

Sproles is a fantastic player. He would be a great addition to the rams. Hes a great change of pace, and he is also really good in coming out of the backfield.

Too me he resembles Dexter McCluster. I'd rather take McCluster in the third round than spend that much on Sproles ( assuming he wants alot of cash). I know there is no cap, but that money can go elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
              Sproles is a fantastic player. He would be a great addition to the rams. Hes a great change of pace, and he is also really good in coming out of the backfield.

Too me he resembles Dexter McCluster. I'd rather take McCluster in the third round than spend that much on Sproles ( assuming he wants alot of cash). I know there is no cap, but that money can go elsewhere.
              I know Sproles can start in the NFL. You hope D. McCluster will be good.
              The Rams can use the pick on another player in the draft.

The Rams need to have some playmakers. The DeFence did better for the Rams in 2009 then the Offence.

Comment

Sproles will go to a team where he can get significant playing time and a lot of cash. That is not the Rams. Id love to see it, but he would likely be one of the most sought after free agents, and will likely have a few choices where to go. I doubt the Rams win out in that situation.
                @EssexRam_

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• eldfan
                  Rams had Sproles visit scheduled; sign that the team will be active in free agency?
                  by eldfan
                  by VanRam Turf Show

It's officially Christmas Eve, for NFL fans that is, with the start of free agency and the trading period beginning tonight at Midnight. As for whether or not the St. Louis Rams will be players in the market remains to be seen, but there's an early sign that they might indeed be willing take a run at some big time players who fit their needs, Chargers RB Darren Sproles for instance.

Last week word came that the Chargers would not make a RFA offer to RB Darren Sproles. They reversed course on that today, extending the highest tender possible to the running back. Sproles, who would have likely commanded big money on the free agent market, was scheduled to visit the Rams...and several other teams.

Obviously, the idea would have been to use Sproles as sort of a 1a to Steven Jackson. Anyway, if you're looking for signs that Rams GM Billy Devaney is prepared to explore the free agent market, this is a good sign.
                  -03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
                • TekeRam
                  McClain a possibility?
                  by TekeRam
                  I didn't know this previously, but apparently Baltimore's RB/FB hybrid McClain is due to be a free agent as long as we're under previous CBA rules. I know I'm one of the few banging the drum for a big back as opposed to a little 3rd down guy, but what would everyone feel about him as a pickup?

One, he's a better fullback than we have currently, and has a track record of success when he gets the opportunity to tote the rock.

Two, he wants to touch the ball more (he's 3rd in Baltimore), but isn't in line for either a starting job or money and would probably be happy being a primary backup.

Three, he's a guy I wouldn't mind handing the rock to 20 times a game if we had to if Jax got hurt.

I think he'd fit just about everything we could want, including ability to share the backfield with Jax, ability to carry the load if need be, and provides us with one extra roster spot in essence.
                  -06-08-2011, 02:04 PM
                • AvengerRam_old
                  What would you bid for Harvey Unga?
                  by AvengerRam_old
                  What would you bid for BYU RB Harvey Unga in the Supplemental Draft?

Remember... the Supplemental Draft is a blind auction. The trick is bidding high enough that you'll get your man without needlessly overbidding.

I'm assuming that nobody would bid a first or second round pick.
                  3rd Round Pick
                  1.67%
                  4th Round Pick
                  20.00%
                  5th Round Pick
                  46.67%
                  6th Round Pick
                  11.67%
                  7th Round Pick
                  8.33%
                  Not interested
                  11.67%
                  -06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
                • Rambunctious
                  What about Kassim Osgood?
                  by Rambunctious
                  At minimum he is a pro bowl special teams addition but could be even more.

I like his height at 6'5 and he seems pretty athletic.

Some will say a down side is he is showing attitude because they only use him for special teams. I like it though that he is hungry to prove himself.

The Chargers are looking for a late round pick so what do you think? Would you give up a 5th or 6th round pick for a an experienced pro bowl special teams addition who wants a shot at getting the dang ball?
                  -03-21-2009, 10:12 PM
                • Nick
                  NFL draft roundtable: SCNG writers assess options for the Chargers and Rams
                  by Nick
                  NFL draft roundtable: SCNG writers assess options for the Chargers and Rams
                  By RYAN KARTJE | [email protected], RICH HAMMOND | [email protected], JACK WANG | [email protected] and VINCENT BONSIGNORE | [email protected] | Orange County Register
                  PUBLISHED: April 24, 2017 at 8:00 am | UPDATED: April 24, 2017 at 12:28 pm

As the NFL draft gets underway Thursday, thereís no sugarcoating the situation facing the two leagueís two franchises in L.A. Under general managers Les Snead and Tom Telesco, the Rams and the Chargers havenít exactly dominated the draft.

For every prospect Snead and Telesco have hit on ó say, Joey Bosa or Aaron Donald ó there have been equally significant misses ó such as D.J. Fluker or Greg Robinson. And this season, as the two GMs settle into sharing L.A. ó and at least one could be on the hot seat ó neither can afford to slip up. So given our NFL team-building expertise and indisputable scouting credentials, we at the Southern California News Group figured they could use some help.

So we called in the NFL beat to discuss draft strategy, our favorite prospects for the Rams and Chargers, and the questions both teams will face during the three crucial days to come:

RYAN KARTJE, NFL FEATURES WRITER: Welcome to our NFL draft roundtable, everyone. Letís start with the Chargers, and their decision at No. 7 overall. Most of the chatter seems to hone in on the draftís top two safeties, LSUís Jamal Adams and Ohio Stateís Malik Hooker. Jack, get us started. Does the Chargersí decision boil down to those two prospects?

JACK WANG, CHARGERS WRITER: Assuming theyíre both still there, yes. I think Hooker is a better fit. Heís better in coverage, and the Chargers could really use someone playing center field. I get the argument for Adams, too. Heís a better tackler. But I just think Hooker can blossom into a better player. With Gus Bradley as the new defensive coordinator, Iím willing to take an upside guy that might not be as refined right now. But really, Iíd draft whichever guy falls to me. Itís a good confluence of both talent and need at that spot.

RICH HAMMOND, RAMS WRITER: If the Chargers donít want Hooker or Adams, they can send either one up to Thousand Oaks, where the Rams would welcome them with open arms. But, I guess weíll get to the Rams later. Much later.

RK: Settle in, Rich. Youíve got some time.

VINNY BONSIGNORE, NFL COLUMNIST: To me, Adams has the higher upside, is the better all-around player, and has the better chance of becoming an impact player. And when you have the seventh pick overall, to me, the bigger, more immediate impact is the way to go.

RK: For reasons I canít quite understand, Adamsí stock seems to have fallen over the past month. Still, heís great against the run, and he has a really high floor as a prospect. The best case for Hooker, though, is that the deep safety position is so valuable...
                  -04-25-2017, 05:39 PM
                Working...
                X