• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Schefter, I Presume

Dr. Schefter, I presume
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

INDIANAPOLIS - Between now and April 22, there will be a rumor a day about the St. Louis Rams’ intentions with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Rams general manager Billy Devaney is aware of this, but that didn’t prevent him from poking some fun Friday at ESPN reporter Adam Schefter’s “guarantee” that the team will take Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

“That took a lot of pressure off us right away because when Dr. Schefter cleared him medically, we feel really good about the health status of Sam Bradford now with Dr. Schefter giving him a clean bill of health and guaranteeing our pick,” Devaney said. “So we’re on to the second round right now.”

Bradford is coming off shoulder surgery and will not work out at the combine.

Related Topics

Collapse

• tomahawk247
    Devaney says four players being considered for No.1 pick, takes shot at Schefter
    by tomahawk247
    This was the report from rotoworld
    I had a quick look at Mort's twitter to see what was actually said, and Devaney does say four guys are in the running for the No.1 pick, but i think its Mort that comes up with the four names.
    Devaney also said that if Suh and McCoy are far and away the best players, the Rams wont force the issue and pick a QB

Devaney also mentioned not having talked to the Eagles about any of their QBs, alluding to the tampering rules...
    -02-26-2010, 09:12 AM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Rams Confident Bradford Is Healthy
    by r8rh8rmike
    Rams confident Bradford is healthy

BY JIM THOMAS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/01/2010

At the NFL scouting combine one month ago, Rams general manager Billy Devaney said the team planned to have an independent third party — a "neutral" doctor, if you will — check out quarterback Sam Bradford's surgically repaired throwing shoulder.

Those plans have been scratched.

"At that point, (the shoulder) was such a big question mark," Devaney said Wednesday. "Since then, we've talked to so many people that have looked at him from other teams. And our doctors — they've gone over him with a fine-tooth comb — we're completely satisfied. We don't need a follow-up."

Devaney said he and coach Steve Spagnuolo have done some checking on their own over the last several weeks to get medical opinions from other voices. Devaney didn't specify which teams, but Devaney and Spagnuolo have worked with several other teams over the years, and as Devaney put it: "You have friends around the league."

Bradford underwent a reconstruction of the AC joint surrounding his shoulder in late October, with the procedure performed by noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews.

"They just went in and with like a nylon braid pretty much put the clavicle (collarbone) back in place and re-secured the joint," Bradford said at the scouting combine.

Bradford injured the shoulder twice during the University of Oklahoma's 2009 season.

"It was a grade 3 (shoulder) separation," Bradford said.

In some cases even after a second separation, surgery isn't required. Rest and rehab can get a shoulder back to health. But in this case, Bradford decided not to take any chances. If he had done nothing but rest and rehab, there might have been even more doubts about the shoulder during the pre-draft process. Having the surgery — and having it performed by Andrews — would lessen those doubts.

(In fact, there was an undercurrent at the combine that the injury was so minor, relatively speaking, that some medical officials privately wondered if surgery was even necessary.)

But Bradford decided he would be better safe than sorry in choosing surgery.

"From what I've heard from doctors, after the second (injury), for my long-term health, if I wanted to continue playing football and get stronger in the weight room, I needed to have the surgery," Bradford said.

Before the surgery, Bradford approached San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith for advice.

"I know that he had the same procedure by Dr. Andrews," Bradford said. "From what I understand, it was pretty successful. He just told me what to expect from the rehab standpoint. Kind of what he went through when he went through the whole process, trying to...
    -04-01-2010, 09:59 PM
  • eldfan
    Rams confident Bradford is healthy
    by eldfan
    BY JIM THOMAS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/01/2010

At the NFL scouting combine one month ago, Rams general manager Billy Devaney said the team planned to have an independent third party — a "neutral" doctor, if you will — check out quarterback Sam Bradford's surgically repaired throwing shoulder.

Those plans have been scratched.

"At that point, (the shoulder) was such a big question mark," Devaney said Wednesday. "Since then, we've talked to so many people that have looked at him from other teams. And our doctors — they've gone over him with a fine-tooth comb — we're completely satisfied. We don't need a follow-up."

Devaney said he and coach Steve Spagnuolo have done some checking on their own over the last several weeks to get medical opinions from other voices. Devaney didn't specify which teams, but Devaney and Spagnuolo have worked with several other teams over the years, and as Devaney put it: "You have friends around the league."

Bradford underwent a reconstruction of the AC joint surrounding his shoulder in late October, with the procedure performed by noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews.

"They just went in and with like a nylon braid pretty much put the clavicle (collarbone) back in place and re-secured the joint," Bradford said at the scouting combine.

Bradford injured the shoulder twice during the University of Oklahoma's 2009 season.

"It was a grade 3 (shoulder) separation," Bradford said.

In some cases even after a second separation, surgery isn't required. Rest and rehab can get a shoulder back to health. But in this case, Bradford decided not to take any chances. If he had done nothing but rest and rehab, there might have been even more doubts about the shoulder during the pre-draft process. Having the surgery — and having it performed by Andrews — would lessen those doubts.

(In fact, there was an undercurrent at the combine that the injury was so minor, relatively speaking, that some medical officials privately wondered if surgery was even necessary.)

But Bradford decided he would be better safe than sorry in choosing surgery.

"From what I've heard from doctors, after the second (injury), for my long-term health, if I wanted to continue playing football and get stronger in the weight room, I needed to have the surgery," Bradford said.

Before the surgery, Bradford approached San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith for advice.

"I know that he had the same procedure by Dr. Andrews," Bradford said. "From what I understand, it was pretty successful. He just told me what to expect from the rehab standpoint. Kind of what he went through when he went through the whole process, trying to decide if he should have surgery or not." ...
    -03-31-2010, 09:46 PM
  • evil disco man
    Devaney Unplugged
    by evil disco man
    Taken from another message board......
    -02-26-2010, 04:23 PM
  • Nick
    Bradford's the One
    by Nick
    Bradford's the One
    Thursday, April 22, 2010
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

At about 6:35 on Thursday night, Rams general manager Billy Devaney picked up the phone and placed the call that ended months of speculation. After a few long rings, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford answered his phone.

Devaney welcomed Bradford to “the Rams family” and told him he was thrilled to have Bradford and his family in the fold. He then passed the phone to coach Steve Spagnuolo and owner Lucia Rodriguez, as everyone took turns congratulating and welcome Bradford to St. Louis.

For the Rams, the evaluation of Bradford was easy. But the decision to take him was not.

“This really should have been a slam dunk decision,” Devaney said. “We were looking for a young quarterback. Bradford is by far the top quarterback in the draft. It should have been a slam dunk. But it wasn’t because those other kids were so special. They really caused us to pause and think this thing through. They made it a lot tougher decision than it should have been just because they are such good players and good people.”

Those “other kids” Devaney was referring to were Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. It’s why Devaney has maintained right up until it was time to make the pick that no decision had been made despite the constant speculation about the Rams’ preference.

Ultimately, though, it was the ability of Bradford, the highest rated player on the team’s board, that won out.

“It’s quite evident in this league that’s an important position,” Spagnuolo said. “It is the team that wins the games, it’s not one guy. It’s not one position. But that’s an important one. That guy handles the ball every single play on offense and does something with it typically. You have to have somebody there that we can grow with right now.”

Indeed, the Rams are certain that Bradford is just the guy to step into that role and lead the Rams into the future.

In 31 games for the Sooners, Bradford posted eye-popping numbers that would make video game players blush. He finished with 8,403 passing yards and 88 touchdowns on 67.6 percent passing.

“Just to have the opportunity to come to St. Louis and start my NFL career there is just a blessing, and I can’t wait to get there and get to work,” Bradford said. “It was a dream come true. You grow up and dream about playing in the NFL and you dream about going in the first round. It just seemed so far-fetched at the time. To be up there tonight and to actually have it happen is just an unbelievable feeling.”

For many years, the NFL offseason has been referred to as the “silly season”...
    -04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Working...
X