Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have some MAJOR concerns about this upcoming draft....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have some MAJOR concerns about this upcoming draft....

and the status of the team on the whole for the future.

I just cant seem to understand what does it take and how long is it gonna take for this team to at least be decent again. NOT THE BEST , but decently competitive EVERY game. Every year we rarely make any moves, and the ones we DO make dont impress anyone on the team or in the fanbase. And, Im starting to believe that the reason for that is not "Bill Bidwell " type cheapness, but rather because we have no god d*** money because of the decisions the previous regime made. I refuse to believe that we are the worst team in the NFL, and, more importantly, we are so bad that it is threatening our existence and ability to succeed again.

It almost seems as though no want wants to come to the Rams. They dont give us any coverage. It seems like everyone wants to keep the rams down. It might sound strange but its true. That the way I see it. But yet, they would much rather help out a 2 win team or a three or four win team or a perennial choker. I mean it cant be that bad. Why would you rather the Lions than the Rams? You dont want to be on a bad team? But the Lions are bad! SO are the redskins. raiders, browns, chiefs, and buccaneers. It seems like theres a scheme going on to keep the rams WINLESS. I really detest this behaviour from NFL teams. Seriously strange but true ( in my opinion anyway) . WHy else would no one want to come play for us in three years despite us not being the only bad team in the NFL.

To me, there are five things that this team DESPERATELY needs heading into next months draft. Two things REALLY stand out to me right now. I think we have released Atogwe, Little, and Barron. If we release

Barron- who is gonna step up and guard the QB blindside? Jason Smith?
    Atogwe- who will help James Butler? Craig Dahl?
    Little- since we released our best pass rusher, shouldnt we be thinking DE in rounds 3-4?

Those are just some stuff what come to mind. But here are the five most important needs of this team, in order of importance: -

1) QB- Not so sure what the A.J. Feely signing meant, but we need to have a new face of the franchise moving forward. Either Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen Whether it should come from the first pick though is tough to decide on. ( See DT)
    2) DT- I think this is another area where we need help because it has been said that we have been drafting DT's for a while now with no success. Well, Carriker was actually a 3-4 end in college, wasnt he? How does THAT lead to success trying to convert to a 4-3 end? its just not that easy ( i think )
    3) DE- Leonard Little may not come back, so we need someone to put on the side of long as pass rushing, run stopping bookends on the line.
    4) CB- I still feel like our corners are no threat.
    5) LB- This unit is very,very thin in terms of depth.

And one more thing to all Ram haters out there ( since like I said there seems to be a hate the RAMS trend out there so this goes out to anyone who falls in that category of spitefulness to the GSOT days) :

If youre a free agent, and you dont wanna play for the Rams or you will not perform because you dont like the team, DONT COME HERE THEN!!! Same for you draftees, too. if your name is Sam Bradford or Ndamakong suh/ gerald mcoy ( or whoever the hell we draft) YOU BETTER F****IN PERFORM MY FRIEND!!! YOU ARE WASTING AWAY PRECIOUS REBUILDING YEARS THAT ARE CRUCIAL TO OUR FUTURE SUCCESS!!! Why?

Because everyone is so HIGH on taking bradford and not suh. Well heres some food for thought. If this guy doesnt perform,THEN WHAT? Would it then be the Rams fault for drafting who EVERYONE ELSE SUGGESTED WE TAKE? ( all the while SUH is ripping it up for another team). or would it be because "our team isnt good enough" I DONT WANNA HEAR ANYMORE EXCUSES.

Re: I have some MAJOR concerns about this upcoming draft....

Originally posted by rNemesis View Post
    Because everyone is so HIGH on taking bradford and not suh. Well heres some food for thought. If this guy doesnt perform,THEN WHAT? Would it then be the Rams fault for drafting who EVERYONE ELSE SUGGESTED WE TAKE? ( all the while SUH is ripping it up for another team). or would it be because "our team isnt good enough" I DONT WANNA HEAR ANYMORE EXCUSES.
    WHat if Suh gets a knee injury every year, and Bradford throws 26 Td's and 28 Int's his rookie years and goes to win 4 MVP's

Comment

To respond to some of your questions/comments...

Originally posted by rNemesis View Post
      If we release

Barron- who is gonna step up and guard the QB blindside? Jason Smith?
      Yes. That's why he was drafted.

Atogwe- who will help James Butler? Craig Dahl?
      The Rams aren't releasing Atogwe. They are simply trying to motivate him and his agent to work with the team to get a long term deal in place. I doubt they'll let him go absent an off-the-wall deal from some other team.

Little- since we released our best pass rusher, shouldnt we be thinking DE in rounds 3-4?
      I don't think Little is still the team's best pass rusher. He's on the downside of his career, while Chris Long is on the way up. But, to answer your question, the Rams definitely need to get a pass rusher or two in the first four rounds.

1) QB- Not so sure what the A.J. Feely signing meant, but we need to have a new face of the franchise moving forward. Either Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen Whether it should come from the first pick though is tough to decide on. ( See DT)
      If the Rams take a QB with the first pick, I think its pretty likely it will be Bradford.

2) DT- I think this is another area where we need help because it has been said that we have been drafting DT's for a while now with no success. Well, Carriker was actually a 3-4 end in college, wasnt he? How does THAT lead to success trying to convert to a 4-3 end? its just not that easy ( i think )
      Actually, Carriker played end in a 4-3 and a 3-4 in college (Nebraska used both sets). I think with him its been more about health than the position change.

3) DE- Leonard Little may not come back, so we need someone to put on the side of long as pass rushing, run stopping bookends on the line.
      Agreed, and I think that can be addressed in the draft.

4) CB- I still feel like our corners are no threat.
      It depends. If a healthy Bartell can play like he did in 2008, and Fletcher can come back strong from his injury, the Rams could be okay there.

5) LB- This unit is very,very thin in terms of depth.
      No doubt. The good news is that good LBs are often found in the mid to late parts of the draft.

In the end, the Rams won't be able to fill every need. The key is to move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
        WHat if Suh gets a knee injury every year, and Bradford throws 26 Td's and 28 Int's his rookie years and goes to win 4 MVP's
        I have a better chance of owning a herd of unicorns at some point in my life than that ever happening.

Comment

If 2010 had been a capped season, I think the Rams could have been pretty darn good in 2011. With it uncapped and 2011 likely being a lockout season, it'll be pushed back to 2012 or 2013. The inability to utilize the salary cap space they freed up on 5-6 quality free agents this year is going to really hurt their progress. That's not their fault, it's just the way the cookie crumbled.

The Rams need about 10 solid additions. They are:

QB, # 2 RB, TE, WR, OT, DE, DT, WLB, SLB, CB. They'll get 3 of them in this draft and 1-2 in free agency this year. What if one of their many WRs turns into a stud? When they figure out the cap situation next year, the Rams will be in perfect position to spend money on free agents. This is why the Rams aren't going out and signing 30 year old DE's for $10 million per year.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• rNemesis
            I have a HUGE issue with.....
            by rNemesis
            drafting Sam Bradford and heading into this next season with Feeley starting. What if things dont go well with the O-line this year and the QB gets sacked and hurried alot and then the QB starts making poor decisions and stuff? Then the city will start saying " Well when are they gonna put in Bradford? then he comes in being expected to save the messy situation only to make himself look just as bad and then our multi million dollar franchise QB doesnt look so great and people start doubting.

How would you feel if that was the case?

Or, similarly, if we drafted Suh or G McCoy, and he is expected to come in and help out Long and Carriker, and our pressure on the opposing QB does not improve one bit from last year, how would you feel?
            -03-10-2010, 01:10 PM
          • theodus69
            Question about Money
            by theodus69
            If money seems to be an issue with drafting a defensive player, wouldn't it make sense if that pick made the whole Defense better ? I feel it will.A Qb ,which i have cried for for a long time,doesn't seem the right pick right now. A pass rush is all this D is lacking am I right? With that the rest of the D gets better right now! With the building of the offense and the mentoring of a QB it seems like a longshot at best. At least a few years. I know our Superbowl run came out of the blue ,but i guess a quicker fix might be clouding my mind.
            -03-12-2010, 10:12 AM
          • rNemesis
            HOW CLOSE IS THIS TEAM TO COMPETING?(VERY LONG)Please provide feedback
            by rNemesis
            First of all let me just say that these last few years have been VERY frustrating and embarassing for me as a RAM FAN and I'm sure you guys are just as disappointed. I have watched my team go from the greatest show on turf to, as a washington post columnist said after the redskins loss, " the most miserable mass on grass". MY main question here is , " How far are the rams from being a decent competitive rock solid team? Its a long way to go; it doesnt happen overnight but it shouldnt take FOREVER either.

But I am not gonna sit here and talk about that all night. We know what has happened. We know what we've become. 13 straight losses dating back to last season. 3-13 in 2007 and 2-14 in 2008. 5 wins in the last 30 or so games? ( not sure exactly the stats) That is horrible.

Let's go back year by year as to how we finished record wise.
            In the 1990's we were bad. But so were other teams which are now good today. But if you look at our 90's record to others, you will see that we were bad most of those years. Other teams had bad years too during the 90's but it was only really the lions, bengals, cardinals and saints. That should show you how bad of a team the Rams are. We never finished over 7 wins from 1990 up until 1999, which was our superbowl year. Which now tells me that the Rams have been bad, are now bad, and I hope we dont continue to be bad. But lately one has to believe that that is the penalty for our actions.

2000- 10-6 DECENT
            2001- 14-2 ( excellent; we beat the pats that season but lost in the SB to the same :|)
            2002- 7-9 Not bad
            2003- 12-4 excellent
            2004- 8-8 not bad; competitive
            2005- I think we were 7-9 or 6-10 cant remember
            2006- 8-8
            2007- 3-13 horrible
            2008- 2-14 lousy

I am not surprised at how we have fallen so badly. What I cant seem to understand is how fast we have fallen as such. How come we havent been able to stop the bleeding and bounce back like other teams have seemed to?

So tell me guys. How far off is this team from competing? Well, I look at the league and I have noticed that most of the other teams have playmakers in a lot of key positions. Why is that? Because they do a great job of DRAFTING PLAYERS THAT FIT INTO THEIR SCHEME WELL. We on the other hand have not done that lately. We have drafted players that have done well IN THEIR SCHEME and so it didnt matter to the previous regime ( Jay ZYgmunt ) if they fit or not the point was they wanted them so much that they drafted them regardless of their college scheme and success. In the era since Martz left, we have drafted the likes of busts ( or so they appear to be) like Tye Hill, Adam Carriker, Claude Wroten, Fakhir Brown, etc. The list goes on and on.

THIS HAS REALLY HURT THIS ORGANIZATION SO MUCH THAT IT IS REARING ITS UGLY HEAD NOW. Bad drafting has put us in such a talentless hole that...
            -09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
          • rNemesis
            Our draft success sucks!!! Pls read this!!!
            by rNemesis
            All this latest draft talk has left me puzzled. I'm going to get like Jim Rome . Here's what Im burning on:-

1) DE/DT/ the whole d line- We all know what Suh could and would bring to this team. I dont know if I brought this up before,but Little (35) and Hall ( 33) might now be here next year. IF THEY AREN'T,and we drafted say, Ndamakong Suh, we would have NO ONE TO play right end and no one to help Long on the left when he is NOT in the game. IS THIS NOT A BURNING CONCERN FOR THIS TEAM? I want a decent pass rush next year if nothing else. As a matter of fact, why cant this team have at least ONE GOOD SURE PRODUCT next year ( eg good o line or a good pass rush or good playmaking WR or a lockdown corner or something)? I know it DEFINITELY wont be all because we have too much holes to fill, but we can at least have ONE good thing RIGHt?

2) O LINE- I dont care about anything what was said about how good or bad this line is, but it would seem to me that in 2009 it was BELOW AVERAGE at best. Some of us say it was pretty good? HOW IS THAT? We gave up 44 sacks ( 25th worst in the NFL) and 98 hits ( 30th worst I think). THAT IS HORRIBLE. It is and you know it. There is no sugar coating it. I am sick and tired of hearing about injuries. yes they exist, but how much longer are we gonna keep getting injured. YOU know what ticks me off about the line situation? In another thread we mentioned Jason Brown in a thread called "HOW BAD IS THE OFFENSIVE LINE" Well, someone brought his durability into question, and I totally agree. He missed almost half of last season, never really impressed me, and got a concussion that most considered " mild". Jacob Bell has not shown greatness yet, Alex barron is a bonehead, and Jason brown was the only real SOLID link on the line. Cogs was also good, but who wants that attitude?

and the thing is, how can you expect to bring in a Sam Bradford if we havent even shored up the O-line? TOTAL NONSENSE I WOULD NOT DO THAT IF I WERE DEVANEY. as a matter of fact, how can you expect to play at a high level in this league if your line is not as great as a Colts, Pats, or New Orleans line ( all these teams had league lows in sacks allowed in 2009; near the top)

3) QB- We by now should have nothing but respect for Bulger, his leadership qualities, poise, and toughness. We should also know by now that he wasnt exactly the greatest decision maker/improviser in the pocket. I wouldnt mind at all if he is the starter in 2010, but I really dont think that would be best for this franchise. Our QB status is up in the air at this point, with no parachute landing nowhere in sight. But I do NOT hate Bulger. He did everything he could with the little weapons he had around him. That being said, its probably best to move on.

4) LB - OH this one puzzles me greatly! I saw the article on another thread talking about potential rams draftees for the LB...
            -03-16-2010, 06:46 PM
          • Bralidore(RAMMODE)
            A Fearsome Front Seven
            by Bralidore(RAMMODE)
            Well watching the Rams defensive line struggle to consistently apply pressure to Quarterbacks has been hard for all of us to watch and specifically hard on our secondary as we've watched them be picked apart on a weekly basis. We rank near the bottom if not AT the bottom in interceptions and have seen not a single one of our cornerbacks get one all season (this was ALMOST changed by Gorrer this weekend..).

This is partly due no doubt to injuries to our starters as well but little excuse can be made for our D-Line's inconsistency this year. Guys like ryan, long, scott, and douzable have all shown flashes but inconsistency remains to be the issue as quarterbacks continue to have all day to throw.

With Spags being a defensive guy and being known especially for his defensive line expertise, we can look to what we can expect this offseason. If we draft Suh with the first overall pick, which looks to almost be a lock with the only other option i see is us marketing the pick around to other teams for more picks, this is what we will be working with.

Little (If he stays another year), Suh, Carriker/Ryan/Scott, and Long. In theory that could be the best D-Line in football. With Lau playing Mike next year the rams should look to finding either two pass rushers for the outside backer spots are a combination of pass rusher and run stopper. With guys like Sean Weatherspoon who could easily slip to the second you have your pass rusher. If we can add another pass rusher or simply a solid outside backer through free agency or the draft we suddenly have possibly the best front seven in football.

of course all of this is a LOT of speculating on what the rams are aiming to do but this all sounds to be a reasonable course of action me. If we're going to build this defense up. It starts up front naturally. Build that D-Line, then the Backers, then the secondary.

There's a number of routes the rams could take in this draft to building a powerhouse D and if the guys im naming pan out there is no reason we shouldn't be next year.

Who do you guys think we should grab in the second round, if you think we should go defense at all?
            -12-28-2009, 07:39 PM
          Working...
          X