Mock 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mock 2.0

First, the Rams trade Adam Carriker to the Redskins for DE Andre Carter.

Round 1: Ndamukong Suh, DT Nebraska - The Rams lose some depth with trading Carriker. Also, Suh is the BPA.

Round 2: Rob Gronkowski, TE Arizona - Fells was resigned, but as a No. 2 TE. Gronkowski is a big, reliable target up the middle.

Round 3: Toby Gerhart, RB Stanford - Ideally, Best or Dwyer would fall to us here. Assuming they don't, a Jackson/Gerhart pounding up the middle isn't bad either.

Round 4: Javier Arenas, CB Alabama - We have Bartell and Fletcher, but Arenas will provide good depth and start if Fletcher can't come back. He also provides a special teams spark.

Round 5: Rennie Curran, OLB Georgia - Curran is a little undersized at 5'11, 205 lbs, but always seems to be near the ball. Good tackler, but his only problem was that he didn't make many big plays, with 6 sacks, 2 ff, and 0 int. in 3 years at UGA.

Round 5: Danario Alexander, WR Missouri - A big receiver at 6'4, but not a very good route runner with a history of knee injuries. With the proper coaching, he can turn into an NFL receiver.

Round 6: Kurtis Gregory, OG Missouri - An experienced 3 year starter who was good in the classroom and in interviews. He would provide good depth at guard.

Round 7: O'Brien Schofield, DE Wisconsin - A projected 2nd-3rd rounder before tearing an ACL during a senior bowl practice. Put him on IR for 2010 and then go from there.

Round 7: Levi Horn, OT Montana - A big 6'7 OT from FCS powerhouse Montana would provide depth at tackle.

2010 Depth Chart:

QB: Marc Bulger/AJ Feeley/Keith Null
    RB: Steven Jackson/Toby Gerhart/Kenneth Darby
    FB: Mike Karney
    WR: Laurant Robinson/Donnie Avery/Brandon Gibson/Keenan Burtan/Danario Alexander
    TE: Rob Gronkowski/Daniel Fells/Billy Bajema
    LT: Jason Smith/Alex Barron
    LG: Jacob Bell/Kurtis Gregory
    C: Jason Brown
    RG: John Greco/Kurtis Gregory
    RT: Adam Goldberg/Levi Horn
    DE: Chris Long/Andre Carter/Leonard Little
    DT: Ndamukong Suh/Clifton Ryan/Fred Robbins
    OLB: David Vobora/Rennie Curran/Paris Lenon
    MLB: James Laurainaitis
    CB: Ron Bartell/Bradley Fletcher/Javier Arenas
    FS: OJ Atogwe/Craig Dahl
    SS: James Butler/Craig Dahl
    K: Josh Brown
    P: Donnie Jones
    KR: Danny Amendola
    PR: Javier Arenas

What do you think?
    Last edited by msha; -03-13-2010, 02:10 PM.

Re: Mock 2.0

No QB? Anywhere?
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Comment

I wouldn't be happy with that draft. I like Suh and value the DT position, but we need a quarterback. If we don't go with Bradford at #1, we have to take a QB in rounds 2 or 3. We currently do not have a QB on the roster that I, or most other people for that matter, would feel comfortable sending out this season. I don't have confidence in Bulger, Feely is a backup who I would be OK starting for a few weeks while a rookie got acclimated, and Null didn't show me much at the end of this season that made me think he is anything other than a 2nd stringer at best in the NFL.

Another weakness that I didn't think was adequately addressed was WR. Given his injuries, I would probably omit Danario Alexander completely from my draft board, or at least until around round 7. He also wouldn't be the only WR I took in this draft.

All in all, our offense was downright pathetic last season, and this mock failed to address the QB and WR positions, which need a lot of help.

Comment

I knew I would take heat for the QB situation, and maybe rightfully so. I know that we need somebody sooner rather than later, but regardless of who we draft with the number 1 pick this year, we will not threaten to make the playoffs next year, which means we will have a top 10 pick in the 2011 draft. That means Locker, Mallet, and Keenum will most likely be available to draft next year. As for the WR position, I don't think adding more inexperience will help, so I added depth in the later round. If we could somehow get Dez Bryant, I would definately get him, but that won't happen. The Rams need a veteran WR to help the younger guys, but there aren't many out there, so either get a guy like T.O. or stay with what you have, and I stayed with what we have.

Comment

Originally posted by msha View Post
          I knew I would take heat for the QB situation, and maybe rightfully so. I know that we need somebody sooner rather than later, but regardless of who we draft with the number 1 pick this year, we will not threaten to make the playoffs next year, which means we will have a top 10 pick in the 2011 draft. That means Locker, Mallet, and Keenum will most likely be available to draft next year. As for the WR position, I don't think adding more inexperience will help, so I added depth in the later round. If we could somehow get Dez Bryant, I would definately get him, but that won't happen. The Rams need a veteran WR to help the younger guys, but there aren't many out there, so either get a guy like T.O. or stay with what you have, and I stayed with what we have.
          I agree with not adding another unproven WR, but we need to get a QB in the 2nd or 3rd if we don't take Bradford, why is everyone down on Bradford? he was supposedly supposed to go before Stafford last year. why is he not the clear cut #1 this year? I know Suh is good but we have a better DT line with the addition of Robbins.

Comment

Originally posted by msha View Post

Assuming where any team in the NFL will be the following year is unwise. The league is set up for any one team to turn around quickly, and trying to project where our team will be a year from now can easily lead to problems.

Comment

It's good but I'm not a big Gerhart fan. I'd rather get a DE at Round 3.
              Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

Why waste a 5th round pick on an admittedly undersized and underachieving OLB? Otherwise I like most of this mock, at least which rounds you're drafting these positions. I would like to see a QB taken, but I could see this working out.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• msha
                  Final Mock Draft
                  by msha
                  Here is my final mock draft for this year:

Round 1: Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma - I don't want Feeley or Null playing QB.

Round 2: Rob Gronkowski, TE Arizona - IMO, TE is one of the biggest needs this offseason. Gresham is likely gone, so Gronkowski is the next best prospect.

Round 3: Jonathan Dwyer, RB Georgia Tech - I saw him fall to the 3rd in Nick's mock, so I will say he will be there in the beginning of the 3rd as our #2 RB next year.

Round 4: Javier Arenas, CB Alabama - Arenas would provide depth at CB an have the ability to start if someone goes down. He would also provide a spark in special teams.

Round 5: George Selvie, DE South Florida - I've seen him projected anywhere from a 3rd-6th rounder. He had a disappointing 2009 season after a great 2008.

Round 5: A.J. Edds, LB Iowa - A solid coverage LB to eventually fit in Spags' plans.

Round 6: Jason Fox, OT Miami - Projected as a 5th round pick, he might slip due to an irregular heartbeat. He could be a future starter.

Round 7: Freddie Barnes, WR Bowling Green - He set an NCAA record for receptions last year, he just finds a way to get open.

Round 7: Kurtis Gregory, OG Missouri - An experienced OG to provide depth.

Round 7: Jan Jorgensen, DE BYU - Projected as undrafted, I picked him because it doesn't matter.

2010 Depth Chart:
                  Offense

QB: Bradford/Feeley/Null
                  RB: Jackson/Dwyer/Ogbonaya
                  FB: Karney
                  WR: Robinson/Avery/Gibson/Amendola/Burton/Barnes
                  TE: Gronkowski/Fells/Bajema
                  LT: Smith
                  LG: Bell/Gregory
                  C: Brown
                  RG: Fraley/Greco
                  RT: Barron/Fox

Defense
                  DE: Long/Jorgensen will not make the team cuz he sucks
                  DT: Ryan/Scott
                  DT: Robbins/Carriker
                  DE: Hall and Selvie
                  OLB: Vobora
                  MLB: Laurinaitis
                  OLB: Diggs/Edds
                  CB: Bartell/Dockery
                  SS: Butler/Dahl
                  FS: Atogwe/Dahl
                  CB: Fletcher/Arenas

Kick Returner: Ameldola
                  Punt Returner: Arenas
                  -04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
                • Bald_81
                  Bald_81's Mock Offseason V1
                  by Bald_81
                  Re-Signings

FS OJ Atogwe
                  NT Clifton Ryan
                  OL Mark Setterstrom
                  LS Chris Massey
                  DE Leonard Little*
                  DE C.J. Ah You

Cuts

OT Alex Barron
                  TE Randy McMichael
                  QB Marc Bulger

Walks

QB Kyle Boller
                  DT Gary Gibson
                  WR Ruvell Martin
                  SS Clinton Hart
                  RB Samkon Gado
                  RB Kenneth Darby
                  DE James Hall
                  LB Paris Lenon
                  DE Victor Adeyanju

Free Agency

QB Chad Pennington
                  - Notes: A veteran QB who will be available due to Chad Henne's success in South Beach. Chad will be a great bridge QB for the Rams and could provide a similar spark/impact on offense as he did for Miami in '08.

RB Leon Washington
                  - Notes: With the emergence of rookie Shonn Greene, there is a crowded backfield with only so many carries to go around. Leon would be a great change of pace back for Steven who possesses a similar talent in the receiving game making him more dangerous.

OT Tyson Clabo
                  - Notes: With the departure of Alex Barron and Jason Smith shifting over to the left side, there is a need for a RT. Tyson Clabo has done a great job keeping Matt Ryan off his back in Atlanta and would help solidify our line.

DE Ray Edwards
                  - Notes: Although he plays with what might be the best supporting cast in the NFL (Jared Allen, Pat & Kevin Williams), Ray Edwards is a young player who has gotten better with each passing season. He would help add to the young nucleus that Devaney is trying to build on as well as give Spags a new toy to play with.

LB Omar Gaither
                  - Notes: He was with Spags for one season in Philadelphia, but he possesses the versatility to play different linebacker positions. Besides Laurinaitis, our LB core has a lot of issues and Gaither will be a solid addition.

LB Danny Clark
                  - Notes: A jack-of-all-trades who can play all three linebacker spots, he essentially replaces Paris Lenon as the veteran of this group but more importantly provides depth at each position.

CB Richard Marshall
                  - Notes: A tough, physical corner who fits the mold of what Spags wants. Marshall is very young and entering the prime of his career which is exactly what the Rams want and he also fills a position of need.

NFL Draft

Round 1: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
                  - Notes: Taking a QB first overall would be a slam dunk here if there was a franchise type available, alas, the Rams don't exactly have the best luck. However, they are blessed to find one of the best defensive prospects of the decade. Suh not only addresses an area of need, but he makes the rest of the defense better and could help catapult Chris Long into double-digit sacks in 2010.

Round 2: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma.
                  - Notes: Playmakers, playmakers, playmakers. Is that what you want Billy? Look no further than...
                  -01-10-2010, 03:04 AM
                • Nick
                  Nick's Early January Rams Mock Offseason
                  by Nick
                  Before Christmas, I completed my first first-round mock of this draft season. I speculated that I might be able to do a Rams-only mock that corresponds, but just haven't had the time recently to sit down and do it...

...UNTIL NOW!!!!! :ram:

CURRENT ROSTER – RESIGN
                  -FS OJ Atogwe: He’ll be a restricted free agent in an uncapped year, so tender him a high offer and keep him around while trying to work out a long-term deal.

-NT Clifton Ryan: Ryan will likely be either a restricted or exclusive rights free agent without a cap, so the Rams should be able to retain him fairly easily. He’s emerged as a solid starter on the line.

-DT Gary Gibson: Gibson showed some flashes before he was injured, and it certainly couldn’t hurt to resign him to a minimum deal to see if he can win a job in camp.

-OL Mark Setterstrom: Mark is considered to be one of our better young lineman, but just can’t manage to stay healthy. Still, he provides some nice depth and should be retained as a RFA.

-LS Chris Massey: An effective long snapper, there’s really no reason not to bring Massey back, nor any reason to think it can’t be done for cheap.

-DE Leonard Little: Little may not even want to play in 2010, but if he can be brought back for relatively cheap as a situational pass rusher, the Rams would benefit.

CURRENT ROSTER – CUT/UNSIGNED
                  -OT Alex Barron: Barron looks to be a restricted free agent in an uncapped year, but I think the Rams send a better message by letting him hit the market.

-TE Randy McMichael: A cause for optimism when Scott Linehan lured McMichael away from Miami, the tight end hasn’t really done much and was a big disappointment in 2009.

-QB Kyle Boller: The experiment did not work out. Boller doesn’t really have much in the tank right now, certainly not enough to be relied upon as an efficient back-up passer.

-CB Jonathan Wade: A former third round pick, Wade hasn’t made much of an impact for the Rams and barely played after the bye despite being a starter in September.

FREE AGENCY ADDITIONS
                  -LB Derrick Johnson (Chiefs): Johnson is upset about his back-up role in Kansas City, and rightfully so. Though he’s a restricted free agent, he may be allowed to walk if Todd Haley doesn’t value him. He could very well become a starter at OLB for the Rams.

-RB Jerious Norwood (Falcons): Norwood will be a popular item on many offseason wishlists for many teams as he’s a very nice change of pace ‘back. The Falcons may be willing to part with Norwood even though he’s a restricted free agent because of the emergence of Jason Snelling.

-DE Mark Anderson (Bears): Anderson is another restricted free agent, but Chicago traded for Gaines Adams and drafted Jarron Gilbert in the third...
                  -01-07-2010, 11:42 AM
                • RockinRam
                  Rockin's Mock Draft (@ the playoffs)
                  by RockinRam
                  Another one of my mock drafts.

Some changes have been made since my last mock, including the addition of the FA. Well, here it goes.

FA:

Mark Anderson, DE Chicago Bears (Mid-level FA signing)

Richard Marshall, CB Carolina Panthers (Premium-level FA signing)

Chris Gocong, OLB Philadelphia Eagles (Low-level FA signing)

Tony Scheffler, TE Denver Broncos (Mid-level FA signing)

Re-signing:

O.J Atogwe

James Hall

Gary Gibson

Craig Dahl

Clifton Ryan

The team's needs after the Free Agency:

DT
                  QB
                  back-up RB
                  #1 WR
                  OLB (Chris Gocong will man one OLB spot.)
                  OG
                  RT

Draft:

Round 1:

Ndamukong Suh, DT, 6-4 300+ lbs. Nebraska

There is no need for me to preach what has already been preached many times.

Round 2:

Damian Williams, WR, 6-1 190lbs. USC

Some people will question this and say, how about Demaryius Thomas out of Georgia Tech? Won't Williams go in the first round?

IMO, I think Williams is going to be available in the start of the second round. Some franchises might go after WR's with prettier numbers than Williams, which might have him being available for us in the second round.

Why Williams you ask?

Because Williams plays in a pro-style offense, has elite route running which is a perfect fit for our WCO, is very quick out of his cuts, great hands, amazing hand-eye coordination, and is a very smart football player with good character.

Round 3:

Gabe Carimi, OT, 6-8, 320lbs. Wisconsin

Took over for Joe Thomas in Wisconsin, a school known for producing solid O-linemen. Carimi has very good footwork for a 6-8 human being, and is very stout in pass protection. Has enough athleticism to man the LT spott in the NFL, but he would excel at the RT due to his amazing run blocking skills. Very balanced blocker who uses his long arms to push defenders off the line of scrimmage.

Round 4:

Sean Canfield, QB, 6-4, 215lbs. Oregon State

Lacking in athleticism, strength and speed, he makes up for it with good accuracy and good arm strength. He is a very good pocket passer, always maintaining his composure in the pocket, and makes the correct reads. Shows good touch and timing on his passes, with a good release.

Round 5:

Dexter McCluster, RB/WR, 5-8, 170lbs. Ole Miss

May drop because franchises might hesitate on him due to his small frame, which would lead to questions about durability/injury proneness..etc.

Would be a great change of pace back for Steven Jackson. Very quick and elusive, and has good ball...
                  -01-17-2010, 02:43 PM
                • 39thebeast
                  Pre Bowl Mock draft
                  by 39thebeast
                  Free Agents
                  O.J. Otogwe, FS, Rams- Gotta bring him back. One of the better play making safeties in the league

Thomas Howard, OLB, Raiders- Great LB, fast(plays for all Davis what do you expect) big hitter, decent pass rusher. Where he excels in comparison to other LBs is coverage. As a former safety he has the size and speed to perfectly match up against TE's. Rams don't know how to cover TE's so this will help. The Raiders don't know what they are doing so his stats have gone down playing more on the strong side. He is a pure WLB and would be a good compliment to Lauranatis.

Tavaris Jackson, QB, Vikings- He has got potential, mobility for the system, and has learned to make better decisions. He is starting right now if Brett Farve was a decisive person. Are the Vikings still 11-2? Maybe

Tony Schefler, TE, Broncos-
                  Really underutilized in Denver, will lower asking price. Ton of talent as receiver exactly what the rams need in the red zone and passing game in general.

Zach Strief, OT, Saints-
                  last thing the Rams want to do is spend another boatload of cash on another offensive lineman. Strief great size 6'7 325 cheaper option who could surprise at RT. Goldberg really played his best at RG he will start their for now.

Karl Paymah, CB, Vikings-
                  Bigger more physical corner spags wants. Can start until Fletcher comes back then be a really good nickel

Leonard Little, DE, Rams
                  - Brought back cheap 1 year deal, provides a pass rush until a younger guy develops.

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska-

Beast what can I say. A line with Long, Ryan, Suh, and a RE. Great young defensive line, with the potential to be dominant.

2. Colt McCoy, QB, Texas

Mobil, great leader. He will definately need some time to transition from the spread to a pro style offense. Might not have the arm, but he has the intangibles to be a good QB.

3. Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri

Big receiver the Rams currently don't have. 6-5 with great hands and is definately a threat in the red zone. Beastly local Mizzou boy. Adds another element to what our other young guys offer.

4. Danny Batten, DE, South Dakota State

After raiding the big 12 from its best players the Rams go to South Dakota State. Batten one of the best pass rushers in D II. Future at RE and will instantly rotate in as a pass rusher. With Long, Ryan, Suh if Batten develops. Dare I say it fearsome foursome part deux?

5. Vladimir Ducase, OL, Massachusetts

Plays LT at Massachusetts, but would probably play guard or RT in the pros. 6-5 330 he is a behemoth. Great run blocker and good in pass protection. Probably would be the future at RG since Goldberg is only signed through...
                  -12-15-2009, 10:26 PM
                Working...
                X