Playmaker at TE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playmaker at TE

Would anyone like to see the Rams go after a proved playmaker at TE like Ben Watson? Or maybe draft a guy that can run the seam like Pitt's Dickerson? Just wondering on your thoughts.

Re: Playmaker at TE

They wont be signing Ben Watson as he has signed for the Browns...but i think they definately will pick up one somewhere in the draft.

Comment

Someone in the draft makes sense. I still like the idea of trading for Scheffler or Olsen if the price is right.

Comment

Providing the Rams do (and I fully expect them to) draft Bradford, I'd love to see them make a move up for Gresham if he starts to slip to the bottom of the 1st. Gresham has a 1st round grade and is described as a dynamic pass catching TE. Reuniting Bradford with his college TE could only reduce the learning curve for the young QB and will provide him with a tall, reliable safety blanket as well as productive red-zone target.

I think the Rams strategy when it comes to the TE position is to wait until the end of the 1st round or day 1 of the draft. If Gresham falls out of round 1, the Rams take him at 33. That should be a no-brainer. If he is selected, as he is expected to be, the FO gets on the horn with the Broncos and Bears and starts talking picks for Sheffler and Olsen.

There were reports out of the combine that Gresham spent a night in the film room with the Rams brass, so if he's their guy I think they should make a move up to grab him.

Comment

What about Owen Daniels? He has shown reliability and can be a big game changer. He is coming of an injured season, so why not sign him for a 2-3 year deal? If he's half the TE he was before the injury, it would still be an upgrade over what we currently have.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Defense View Post
            What about Owen Daniels? He has shown reliability and can be a big game changer. He is coming of an injured season, so why not sign him for a 2-3 year deal? If he's half the TE he was before the injury, it would still be an upgrade over what we currently have.
            Is he even a FA? but anyways I really like Owen Daniels.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Defense View Post
              I'm pretty sure Owen Daniels was tendered at at first round compensation.

He is good, real good, but not that good.

Here's something I just thought of though, carriker and a 2nd or 3rd pick for cooley and maybe andre carter (i think thats the de).

Not sure how much the skins value cooley, it doesnt seem like he has been too consistent, but he sure did torch us last year IIRC.

Comment

I think a TE will end up being one of the more vital pieces for this offense next year. We all saw dropped passes and missed opportunities for guys like McMichael and Fells last season, and with a new QB under center this season (whomever it may be) TE will see the ball a lot.

Comment

Dorin Dickerson's a beast. I like Aaron Hernandez too.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• tomahawk247
                    Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma - a second round prospect?
                    by tomahawk247
                    Its obvious to everyone that an upgrade at the Tight End position is needed. McMichael isnt expected to be back as he is a unrestricted free agent, and Daniel Fells and Billy Bajema are depth guys at best. So the Rams need a new started at TE.

Gresham is still thought to be the number 1 TE in the draft despite missing his last season through a knee injury. Obviously his combine showings will be important, but if he shows that the knee injury hasnt hindered his ability then he could very well be worth consideration.

If Gresham is there at the top of round 2 then the Rams have to be looking his way. However, if the Rams pick up a starting TE in free agency like Tony Scheffler or Ben Watson, its unlikely they will pick Gresham, instead focusing on one of the many other positions that the team could use an upgrade at.

But whoever is starting at QB for the Rams in 2010 would benefit from having a good, young receiving talent at the TE spot. Be it Bulger, a free agent addition, or a rookie QB.
                    -01-19-2010, 03:27 AM
                  • Bing69
                    Kyle Rudolph TE
                    by Bing69
                    I was reading an interesting article saying how if Kyle Rudoplh was sitting there in the 2nd round when the Rams pick they should take him. He has the elite skills you look for in that position, and some believe he is a better receiving target than Gresham and Pettigrew taken in previous years. With Illinois Mike injury concern unclear (he may or may not be able to complete a full season), Onobun still raw and developing, Bajema just a solid team player, and Fells inconsistency (we could also loose him in FA) it might not be such a bad idea.

I know there are other ways to go with this pick, but he might just be the BPA at that stage. We have managed to get 2 first round talents in the 2nd the last 2 years (J-Lau and Saffold) and it would certainly make the offense more threatening. Having Rudoplh, Big mike, Bajema / Onobun would be a nice trio. Add to the fact if we get Rice , or V-Jax, or Julio Jones our offense would be looking pretty sweet.

I personally have no problem with the pick if it happens, but we dont know whos coming and going in FA.

Whats the general thought on Rudoplh from you guys??
                    -01-22-2011, 01:26 AM
                  • TekeRam
                    My reason why we'll draft a TE in Round 1
                    by TekeRam
                    I think we can all agree that our most pressing issues is our inability to keep our offense going and score, because of a lack of proven weapons and a "no" bowl level of talent on our offensive line.

There are two positions that help both of those issues and they are running back and tight end. We do need a new younger lead tailback, but he could be on the roster already in Richardson. We already have a starting tight end in Kendricks, but he's become more of a flex player, being put all over the field. He's like Hernandez in New England. We need a Gronk.

12 Personnel, one back, two tight ends, has become the new fad because of New England along side with the spread pistol this year with the Whiners and Redskins, among others. Having the two tight ends instill lets you run a base offense with good enough blocking, but it also allows you generally a faster player than a fullback is, and certainly a better catching threat.

As I already said, we have the flex player in Kendricks, what we need is a true matchup nightmare, someone who can stretch the field and is the ultimate of safety valves for Sam. Look at all the TE dominant teams in the playoffs this year: Baltimore, Indy, NE, Atl, SF(used to be...), Denver(Peyton says that Tamme's coverage dictates the offense), and even Cinci as the second receiver.

I'm willing to admit that unless Kendricks suddenly put it together forever at the end of the season, he's likely no better than a second string TE in a two TE offense. And Mulligan shouldn't be out there except in heavy packages. With one of Ertz or my preference, Eifert, we will have a pass game dominant player who helps us in all phases of the offense.

We can probably grab either one at #22, so we can use #16 to address Safety or the Offensive Line and go heavy at protecting Sam and creating an offense that can hold its own.
                    -01-20-2013, 08:54 PM
                  • tomahawk247
                    Rams tell Rob Gronkowski they fully intend to draft a TE
                    by tomahawk247
                    This comes from a report by Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter

While its not unexpected that they would want to draft a TE, i do feel its too early to say that when we havent even gone through Free Agency where guys like Ben Watson and maybe Tony Scheffler can be had....
                    -02-26-2010, 02:14 AM
                  • The Optimistic Lamb
                    Best TE in the 4th Round
                    by The Optimistic Lamb
                    There seems to be no consensus on any draft sites as to the order of the top 5 or 6 TE's in this draft. But what I really want to know is who will be the best TE left at the top of the 4th round? What does the clanram think?
                    Aaron Hernandez
                    11.54%
                    Ed Dickson
                    7.69%
                    Anthony McCoy
                    5.77%
                    Jimmy Graham
                    38.46%
                    Dennis Pitta
                    17.31%
                    Dorin Dickerson
                    13.46%