Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank Fraley

According to Jason La Confora from NFL Network:

Offensive lineman Hank Fraley is in negotiations with the St. Louis Rams, according to his agent, Ralph Cindrich.
    Fraley, an interior lineman who can play center and guard, is also scheduled to meet with the Chiefs next week.
    The Chiefs signed C Casey Wiegmann on Friday and have G Ryan Lilja scheduled for a visit on Monday.

Re: Hank Fraley

I don't know how easy the transition from Center to Guard in our running system...

but he would give me comfort, rather than wait to get some 4 round draft choice.

Hopefully, we can get this done, it seems to give our line - piece of mind..

anyone disagree with bringing in Fraley ??

Comment

Sign him up, good depth (competition for RG maybe) was a starter till last season I think.

Comment

id be happy if Hank became a Ram..good depth ..i wouldnt expect him to be a starter but would fill the Setterstrom role of cover for Centre & Guard and although i expect MS would be a better Guard..im sure Fraley is a better Centre. also although he`s older than Setterstrom he seems a whole lot more durable than him.
        i expect Bell and Greco to be the starters at the OG positions next year unless Greco is moved to RT which im not expecting but with our luck with injuries to the O-line..i am happy to see some good depth in the unit.

i still would expect us to get another body for the line...either an OG or an OT or maybe both..but in the late rounds where theres good value.
        Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -03-13-2010, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
          Opportunity Abound At Guard
          by r8rh8rmike
          Opportunity Abound at Guard
          Wednesday, December 16, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
          Senior Writer

Make no mistake; John Greco and Mark Setterstrom aren’t rookies. In fact, that duo has done what any dutiful backup offensive lineman is asked to do and filled in admirably when the man ahead of him is injured.

The only difference is that when it happens this week, it will be on a slightly more permanent basis than a play here, a series there or even a quarter or a half.

Following the season ending hamstring injury to Jacob Bell and the release of Richie Incognito, the Rams found themselves with two openings for new starting guards.

So the time is now for Greco and Setterstrom to use the next three games, starting this week against Houston, to state their case for why they should figure prominently into the Rams’ offensive line plans.

“Both of them have played throughout the course of this season so we don’t look at it that way,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “Those guys take a lot of pride in stepping up and being the next guy to go in.

“They are all interchangeable. (Line coaches) Steve (Loney) and Art (Valero) have really prepared that whole group and everybody in this league knows that the so called backups have to be versatile and John and Mark have done that. We are looking for them to step right in and not skip a beat.”

Of course, in the first practice since those roster alterations (Bell was placed on injured reserve, ending his year); the Rams didn’t even have the luxury of using the line they plan to use Sunday against the Texans.

Center Jason Brown missed the practice with an illness, leaving Setterstrom to handle the center duties and rookie Roger Allen III to take the repetitions at left guard with Greco on the right side.

For Greco, Allen and Setterstrom, the next three weeks could provide a big opportunity to provide the Rams with a much better idea of what they bring to the table.

Considering the nature of the position and the collisions that occur every week, most offensive linemen prepare as though they will start every week. That should make the transition easier.

Setterstrom, for one, believes things won’t be much different.

“I don’t think it’s changed,” Setterstrom said. “We are going to go out and try to win the line of scrimmage. Games are won on the offensive and defensive lines. I know we say it all the time but it’s true. Our coach emphasizes it doesn’t matter who is in there, those five guys have to work together. We have to go out and perform and open some holes.”

Of the trio of guys who could figure into the mix in the next few weeks, none comes with more experience than Setterstrom.

After starting the final six games of 2006, Setterstrom had looked to establish himself as a key component...
          -12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
        • Leics_Ram
          Hank Fraley signs with Rams
          by Leics_Ram
          Fraley's agent has announced on his Twitter account that he has cancelled a proposed visit with the Kansas City Chiefs and has instead signed with the Rams.

Decent signing - solid back up C and also gives us depth at Guard.
          -03-14-2010, 02:32 PM
        • MauiRam
          Fraley Finding Niche Fast ..
          by MauiRam
          Tuesday, May 25, 2010
          By Nick Wagoner
          Senior Writer

For a 10-year NFL veteran, the idea of putting on the pads and trudging through another long practice in the burgeoning summer heat might be less favorable than a visit to the dentist.

For newly added offensive lineman Hank Fraley, there’s nowhere he’d rather be.

“It’s a dream come true for me every year,” Fraley said. “So each year I treat it like it’s my first and it could be my last. I just love football and being around the guys and playing so I just try to bring that energy and if I am down, I hope there are guys I can lean on to get me up. But I try to be positive every day. It’s a job but it’s fun.”

Fraley says he has been playing football since he was 6 and now, at 32, he still plays with the same childlike enthusiasm that has carried him through an accomplished NFL career.

When the Rams went searching for some depth on the interior of their offensive line during the free agent signing period, they had hoped to find someone with the versatility to play all three interior spots.

It was considered a bonus if they could find someone who combined that versatility with the experience and leadership skills to help out their many young linemen.

Enter Fraley, who fit the bill and then some. On March 12, the Rams signed Fraley to a three-year contract after he spent the previous four seasons with Cleveland. The idea was to bring in someone capable of backing up Jason Brown at center and compete for a possible starting job at guard.

In just a couple of months and four organized team activities, Fraley has already done much more than that, according to coach Steve Spagnuolo.

“Here he is a veteran guy and he’s working with the second and third (team) once in a while and doesn’t complain one bit,” Spagnuolo said. “I will watch him rallying those young guys together like in the two minute drill, pumping guys up. We need that.”

Not that Spagnuolo or offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur is even remotely surprised by what Fraley brings to the table.

In fact, it was the presence of Spagnuolo and Shurmur in St. Louis that helped sway Fraley from some other potential landing spots when he embarked on free agency.

Fraley spent the first six years of his career in Philadelphia where Spagnuolo was coaching defensive backs and linebackers and Shurmur was tutoring quarterbacks.

Although neither Spagnuolo nor Shurmur coached Fraley’s position, they both formed a relationship with the young lineman.

“I had a good relationship with those guys even though they didn’t coach my position,” Fraley said. “I liked their attitude and I always felt they were great and would go somewhere and do bigger things and that’s what they are doing here. When I got here it was just like seeing those guys again was like...
          -05-26-2010, 09:15 PM
        • Nick
          Rams re-sign Setterstrom
          by Nick
          Courtesy of the Rams' Twitter account....
          -03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
        • Dr. Defense
          Do we really need a new starting guard?
          by Dr. Defense
          Everyone is shouting and screaming for the Rams to go and sign Alan Faneca. Sure he is a good guard, but do we really need him? I am throwing the 2007 season out the door. You can't evaluate a linemens performance when you have 18 different line combinations in 16 games. In the 2006 campaign we played against the minnesota vikings. Here are Jackson's stats from that game.

Att Yds Avg Lng TD
          25 142 5.7 59T 3

Those are some pretty impressive numbers. Now factor in that the vikings have the best interior defensive tackles in the game. And you can't run it outside all game, so that means at some point, you had to run it at them. Those numbers are pretty impressive considering that the Vikings are always at or near the top of run stopping. If those stats aren't enough here are Bulgers.

Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate
          19 30 63.3 248 8.3 1 0 0 0 100.4

Those numbers prove that not only were we successful in run blocking, but pass blocking as well. Who were the starting interior guys? Our young guys by the name of Setterstrom and Icognito. So why would you want to bench one of these guys who proved that they are quality players that can play with the best. If a starter was signed then one of these guys with potential would have to see the bench. I can see why it would be a good idea to draft or acquire a quality backup, but going out and finding a new starter is un-necessary. The only exception to this would be if the Rams know something about Mark Setterstrom that I don't.
          -03-01-2008, 03:59 PM
        Working...
        X