Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clanram Fans Reality Check!!!!!!!!!

1) McCoy is NOT better than Suh
    Since the college season has ended, there have been no new developments between Suh and McCoy. Suh still has 212 tackles, 4 interceptions, 23 sacks, 6 blocked kicks, and 2 TD’s. G. McCoy still has only 77 tackles, 1 interception, 14 sacks, 1 blocked kick, and grand total of 0 TD’s. I might also remind you that Suh was being double teamed all the time, while McCoy was occasionally.
    As for the combine Suh was .03 seconds behind McCoy in the 40 yard dash. Woop-di-dam-do. But what he “lacked” in speed he made up for on the bench press. Suh completed 32 reps while McCoy only managed 23 reps. Conclusion? Suh is a monster who has consistently shown he is more productive than Gerald McCoy. Eat it.

2) Drafting a QB will NOT change anything
    The Rams went through 3 Qb’s last season. So much for O-line improvement. I remember a time when Marc Bulger was a pro bowl Qb... so much for that. As a result he has been as productive as any Qb can be while being beat like a piñata by 300lbs DL’s.

The Lions dished out 72 million dollars for Mathew Stafford last season. Now they have improved to picking #2 overall instead of #1 overall...wow. The Jets did the exact opposite. They built the foundation of their team first and then brought in a talented young Qb as the final keystone of their franchise. Result? The playoffs…

If you believe that Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen can somehow magically turn our O-line around then you are handicapped in the head my friend and there is a helmet out there with your name on it.

3) Previous draft picks are NOT devaney’s fault
    Lastly, Devaney and Spags were not here prior to 2008. Neither were most of their staff. But there are those few helmet clad individuals among us who keep insisting that the “Rams” keep picking DL’s and the “pattern” shows that we should not do so anymore. For the last time, the Rams are a completely different team with a completely different front office and coaching staff so please do not keep applying past history to recent events.

Thank you. I am satisfied and calm now.
    -Optimistic Lamb :ram:

Re: Clanram Fans Reality Check!!!!!!!!!

This is so0o0 true. Completely agree.

Comment

Calling it a reality check doesn't automatically turn your opinion into fact.

Comment

Agreed with Nick. Lamb, the thing you're missing is that drafting a QB doesn't mean playoffs. It means (hopefully) long term success. Peyton Manning, when being drafted at the number one spot, won almost no games his first year. Tell me, would you take Peyton Manning now? You build around players, and this is not an instant problem solver.

Remember that - the reality check is not a playoff bound 2010, but maybe a playoff bound 2011 or 2012 and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by peramoure View Post
          Agreed with Nick. Lamb, the thing you're missing is that drafting a QB doesn't mean playoffs. It means (hopefully) long term success. Peyton Manning, when being drafted at the number one spot, won almost no games his first year. Tell me, would you take Peyton Manning now? You build around players, and this is not an instant problem solver.

Remember that - the reality check is not a playoff bound 2010, but maybe a playoff bound 2011 or 2012 and beyond.
          Of course I'd take Peyton Manning now. I'd also have taken him then. The larger point is that Bradford is not nearly the QB Manning is or was.

Comment

The o-line was pretty good last year. Just because the QBs didn't play well, doesn't mean the o-line was bad. Adding Smith to the lineup on a full time basis is going to be a significant further improvement.

So if the Rams draft Suh, how many games will he win?

Comment

Originally posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
              1) McCoy is NOT better than Suh
              Since the college season has ended, there have been no new developments between Suh and McCoy. Suh still has 212 tackles, 4 interceptions, 23 sacks, 6 blocked kicks, and 2 TD’s. G. McCoy still has only 77 tackles, 1 interception, 14 sacks, 1 blocked kick, and grand total of 0 TD’s. I might also remind you that Suh was being double teamed all the time, while McCoy was occasionally.
              As for the combine Suh was .03 seconds behind McCoy in the 40 yard dash. Woop-di-dam-do. But what he “lacked” in speed he made up for on the bench press. Suh completed 32 reps while McCoy only managed 23 reps. Conclusion? Suh is a monster who has consistently shown he is more productive than Gerald McCoy. Eat it.

2) Drafting a QB will NOT change anything
              The Rams went through 3 Qb’s last season. So much for O-line improvement. I remember a time when Marc Bulger was a pro bowl Qb... so much for that. As a result he has been as productive as any Qb can be while being beat like a piñata by 300lbs DL’s.

The Lions dished out 72 million dollars for Mathew Stafford last season. Now they have improved to picking #2 overall instead of #1 overall...wow. The Jets did the exact opposite. They built the foundation of their team first and then brought in a talented young Qb as the final keystone of their franchise. Result? The playoffs…

If you believe that Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen can somehow magically turn our O-line around then you are handicapped in the head my friend and there is a helmet out there with your name on it.

3) Previous draft picks are NOT devaney’s fault
              Lastly, Devaney and Spags were not here prior to 2008. Neither were most of their staff. But there are those few helmet clad individuals among us who keep insisting that the “Rams” keep picking DL’s and the “pattern” shows that we should not do so anymore. For the last time, the Rams are a completely different team with a completely different front office and coaching staff so please do not keep applying past history to recent events.

Thank you. I am satisfied and calm now.
              -Optimistic Lamb :ram:

1) I don't think McCoy is better than Suh either. But, who will have the better NFL career? No one knows.

2) Drafting a QB won't change anything? It would change EVERYTHING.

We don't have a future at QB. Keith Null? Yeah right. Marc Bulger? Doubtful. He's old, and he may be gone. A.J Feeley? No.

Bringing in Bradford not only freshens up this franchise, but he also provides us with a future for this team. We're building a new franchise guys, in case you haven't gotten the memo.

We're bringing in fresh, young guys that are eager to play. The days of the GSOT are gone. This is Devaney and Spag's era now. And for them to be successful, they need a QB of the future to back them up.

3) Of course not.

Comment

No one is supporting Bradford coming in and starting right away, at least not myself. But if you give him a year to come in and learn, draft another RT and/or Guard and have them playing this year on the line...well the point is you give your rookie QB a year to learn and the O-Line one more year to gel.

If you honestly want to put off a QB for another year and then draft him next year and wait another year for him to start, what are we looking at? Competing by 2013?

All that being said, I still could probably get behind Suh and McCoy in the second. But I think Bradford is the guy to pick.

Comment

1. I feel the same way

2. It would change so much. Establish a face of the Franchise for the future a guy who will lead the team to the playoffs and possible superbowl victories in the future. We may not get those things immediately, but thats not why you draft him. You draft him so he brings you these things in the future. Huge building block most important position on the field and you build around him. Detroits line stunk last year, they had no running game to speak off. Last year we didn't get 16 games outta Smith, Bell, and Brown also missed a little time.
                  Give me that healthy left side 500 times better than what Detroit had and they are still young full of potential and ability. They will also spearhead a great running game with the second best RB in the NFL. Barron/Grecco/Goldberg/Fraley however the right side pans out will be serviceable. The problem with the line isn't ability its health. Spags defensive genius IMO excellent schemer.
                  Considering what he had to work with was less than ideal I think he did an excellent job coaching the defense up. With another year in the scheme everyone is going to be greatly improved. Chris Long and Scott will be the X factors to defensive improvement IMO, if both those guys play 16 games how they played at the end of the season. Spags is gonna take the defense far. Fletcher, Butler, Bartell, and OJ need to be healthy in the secondary. The problem there also health not a point where they were all healthy together. LB Vobora Serviceable at SLB, Lauranatis studd year 2 he will be even better. WLB huge hole.
                  Im not saying we are the perfect scenario for a new QB we definately need some more weapons in the passing game and there are holes on defense, but at least some of those holes can be filled this year as we continue to build around our young franchise QB.

3. True

Comment

You know, when Bulger was playing better, the offensive line was arguably worse than it is now. The last time we had a good line was before Timmerman and McCollum retired. Bulger first got his chance because our line couldn't protect Warner, so let's not pretend that his decline has been because he is getting less protection than he used to. It was always bad.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelYell View Post
                      So if the Rams draft Suh, how many games will he win?
                      As many as the Rams do.

Comment

if bradford has a great pro day ...then its a wrap....hes passed the physicals and mdeicals of the combine..now hes just gotta do it again with the rams doctors..

Comment

#2 Qb Argument:

A Qb is the most valuable player on the field and the most vulnerable player. Stafford is a prime example of a good Qb rendered almost ineffective because of a weak O-line. This is the example the Rams fans would like to follow? The Lions?

Asinine.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenfleece View Post
                            You know, when Bulger was playing better, the offensive line was arguably worse than it is now. The last time we had a good line was before Timmerman and McCollum retired. Bulger first got his chance because our line couldn't protect Warner, so let's not pretend that his decline has been because he is getting less protection than he used to. It was always bad.
                            I straight up disagree with this Golden Fleece. Warner had a freak accident and Bulger's play has declined from the accumulated years of physical abuse and the psychological pounding. Don't make Bulger your scapegoat for a crappy team.
                            Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -03-15-2010, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Warner4prez View Post
                              No one is supporting Bradford coming in and starting right away, at least not myself. But if you give him a year to come in and learn, draft another RT and/or Guard and have them playing this year on the line...well the point is you give your rookie QB a year to learn and the O-Line one more year to gel.

If you honestly want to put off a QB for another year and then draft him next year and wait another year for him to start, what are we looking at? Competing by 2013?

All that being said, I still could probably get behind Suh and McCoy in the second. But I think Bradford is the guy to pick.
                              We can't afford to have $80 million sitting on the bench. Either take a guy in the later rounds if you want to wait, or build the team and draft and plug in a true rookie with the first rounder in 2011.

Our offensive line was pretty good last year in the same way that the French Army did a pretty good job at stopping the German Army in 1940.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• viper
                                Viper's 1st Ever Offseason Mock 1.0
                                by viper

Here are the 2010 offseason moves of the St. Louis Rams that continue the rebuilding program that Devaney and company began at the beginning of the 2009 season. I’m not very knowledgeable about non-Ram players, so keep that in mind. I’m just throwing stuff at the wall to see what you guys think for my first try.

Departing:

Kyle Boller – He never should have been a starting QB in the NFL. He is too inconsistent, inaccurate on his long ball and will throw the drive killing interception at any moment.

Randy McMichael – Randy’s best days are behind him in Miami. We all had high hopes for him when the previous regime brought him in. But, he was inconsistent and had too many drive stopping drops when the ball hit him in a bad spot (his hands). Next!

Alex Barron – I was ecstatic when the Rams selected Barron in the draft to play RT with Pace at LT. Mental mistakes in the form of rampant false starts and holding calls along with a half-hearted work ethic plagues Barron his entire career with the Rams. Time to move on.

Jonathon Wade – Hasn’t lived up to his potential. An underachiever that hasn’t been able to get on the field much. With Butler returning to the lineup, the cornerbacks are serviceable for the time being.

Leonard Little – A pass rushing monster in his day, Leonard’s skills have begun to diminish. Although, he had a decent year in terms of sacks, his technique now has him pass rushing past the QB too often. Might be kept in a situational capacity…might retire. I think it’s time to bring in some new blood.

Resign:

Craig Dahl – Has been a pleasant surprise in the defensive backfield. Always around the ball, making a solid contribution ever since joining the club.

O.J. Atogwe – Known for his ability for getting takeaways, the Rams offer him enough to keep him around. Improvement on the defensive line will only help his interception numbers.

Clifton Ryan – the anchor of the defensive line must be retained. Ryan brings his lunch pail to work every day and just gets it done. Nuff said!!!

Gary Gibson – In the few appearances that Gibson made, he showed good potential for disrupting plays along the defensive line. He shouldn’t cost much to retain. Good depth.

Mark Setterstrom – The Rams need bodies on the OL and Mark has been a solid player when healthy.

Free Agency:

Ray Edwards (DE) – The Rams are in need of a defensive end opposite of Chris Long. In Minnesota, Edwards was a part of one of the most dominate defensive lines in football. He is strong against the run and had 6.5 sacks in 2009. At only 25 years old, Edwards could be part of the rebuilding process that turns the Rams around in the years to come.

Tony Scheffler (TE) – With the departure of Rand McMichael, Scheffler steps in as the no. 1 TE. A good...
                                -01-16-2010, 02:40 PM
                              • lordwhttgr
                                I hate to burst your bubble, BUT.....
                                by lordwhttgr
                                1. Bradford. Our QB is a lot better than a lot of people are giving him credit for. I have watched some film on him and he is doing a lot of things you only see Tom Brady or Payton Manning do. He has mastered the sugar huddle and started to really take control of the offence more. I see him throw off the defense so that our receivers are the only ones who can catch the ball. He is way better than even I expected him to be at this point in his career. And he is doing it without the likes of a Rice, Fitzgerald or Moss. Rams fans we have our elite QB of the future.

2. Spagnuolo. Our coach has us moving in the right direction. He has our defense primed and is as good as anyone else in the league. We now have defensive stars that are as famous as any other team, Laurinaitis, Long, Bartell, Dahl and Atogwe. We may have only won 6 games all year but we were contenders till the final bell in 4 more of those. His leadership has us in first place and going from 6- 42 to 6-6 and possible playoff spot.

3. Jackson. Poised to set the record with another 1000 yard rushing year has been the leader out on the field on offense. Running with a bad back, groin injury from the Redskins game and a broken hand that has pins holding it together. He has set the standard for how others deal with injury and continue to play with injuries.

4. The Rams control how the west will be won. If we win all 4 remaining games, we win the west period. This is the best case scenario and one that I am sure that the players and coaches are working overtime to make come true. There is no reason not to.

a. If we win against the Saints, then we are favorable to win the last 3 games of the season. Drew Brees cracks down under pressure and is prone to make mistakes. Our defensive line stacks well with coach Spagnuolo calling his crazy blitzes. We can handle a high power passing attack (watch the Chargers and Denver games again if you don’t believe me). Both Saints running backs are doubtful and Reggie Bush has been awful since coming back from injury. This makes the Saints a one dimensional team. Could this be a repeat of the Denver game?
                                b. Chiefs QB Matt Cassel is recovering from an appendectomy and is likely to be blitzed hard this week. If he does not start or at 100% when they come to St Louis, look for a repeat of the Cardinals game. We all know it is tough to win in the Dome.
                                c. The winners come to town knowing who really won the last game in candlestick (or whatever they call that pile of crap they call a home). Frank Gore is gone for the year. Can we call them one dimensional as well? Pass interference, please!
                                d. The Seahawks have San Fran, Tampa bay and the Falcons before they have to face us once again. I would be in shock in they survive these three teams with better than 1-2 record. They certainly don’t match up well with us. Remember we beat this team 20-3. We have gotten a lot better where they have...
                                -12-11-2010, 04:41 AM
                              • bud_5403
                                Best Rams Mock Draft by bud_5403
                                by bud_5403
                                Here's my Mock Draft. I pray it goes like this. All of the picks, excludind Crabtree, are barring the Rams address their needs in Free Agency. Has my first choice and who I would settle for. First edition. Most likely will be revisied by the time the draft comes around. I can't wait.

Round 1. Michael Crabtree 6'3 214 Texas Tech WR
                                The most exciting player in this draft class. The Rams need him to go along with Donnie Avery and Torry Holt. I know alot of people probably would enjoy seeing the Rams taking a tackle in this spot, but be serious folks, even the experts can't seem to chose who the best tackle is. All the pressing defensive needs will hopefully be taken care of in free agency, and the O-Line needs can be taken care of in Round 2. (Note: All of you Michael Oher lovers, stock significantly dropped after his senior bowl performance. Went from Top 5 to 25 on Mel Kipers Big Board). I wouldn't settle for anyone else. If the Rams don't draft him I would hate them like I did when they took Tye Hill over Antonio Cromartie or Manny Lawson, or not trading up to get Vernon Davis before the ***** did.

Round 2. Alex Mack 6'5 300- California C
                                We need O-Line help and he an HUGE upgrade from Brett Romberg or whoever starts at center now. He's a smart kid. Scholar athlete. Hard worker. Nasty aggressive player that can get the Rams on the right direction. Would settle for Herman Johnson, the 6'7 380 pound offensive guard from LSU.

Round 3. Michael Hamlin 6'3 200- Clemson SS
                                Great fit that can learn from the elder Corey Chavous. Could be a good strong safety in the NFL. Tough and physical. Doesn't have great speed but does have long arms and is a very reliable tackler. Also a four year starter at Clemson. Will Moore from Mizzou or Pat Chung from Oregon. I also like Phil Loadholt, the 6'8 337 pound offeensive tackle from Oklahoma ALOT at this pick. He was my first choice but I think Hamlin would be the better player available.

Round 4. Jarius Byrd 6'0 200- Oregon CB/S
                                I intially said take James Davis, the running back from Clemson with this pick but I think Jarius is a diamond in the rough and a future Pro-Bowler. Son of Gil Byrd, former NFL D-Back. Played QB and Safety in high school.. I know because I followed him. He being from the St. Louis area (Clayton High School. Demoshlished my high school playing QB. Won a state title also.) Could play zone corner or free safety. Reads quarterbacks well. You can tell that he played the position. 2nd choice: Will Davis. The 6'2 246 pound Defensive End from Illnois. Younger brother of Vernon Davis.

Round 5. Jasper Brinkley 6'2 257- South Carolina ILB
                                4.6 40 yard dash at his size is scary. He knows how to get into the back field and finish off quarterbacks. Stock fell a bunch because of his health. Would be a steal in the 5th round. 2nd choice: Scott McKillop. The 6'2 240 pound mike linebacker from Pittsburgh.
                                I Love It!
                                25.00%
                                Good. Minor Tweaks Needed.
                                25.00%
                                It's Okay
                                37.50%
                                I Hate It
                                12.50%
                                -01-30-2009, 09:04 PM
                              • RamDez
                                Musical instruments
                                by RamDez
                                OK, less of the jokes and right onto the serious stuff.

One thing I always regretted was learning to play a musical instrument.

Now middle age is kicking in and its time for me to get with it LOL

What musical instrument do you play? or if you don’t but would wish to play one, what would it be?

I have a hankering for a violin or a trumpet. Maybe an oboe
                                -05-18-2005, 06:37 AM
                                djdeeznutz mock off-season!!
                                by Guest
                                Yea this one is actually realistic Nick.

Release
                                Cory Chavious SS (already done)
                                Pisa Tiniosamoa WLB (spoon will take his spot)
                                (Trent Green retires)

Trade:
                                Torry Holt to the titans for a 3rd rounder

Re-sign:
                                Ron Bartell CB (5-6 yrs)
                                OJ Atogwe FS (1yr franchise tag)
                                Victor Adeyanju DE (2 yrs) (he will help with spags DL substitutions)
                                Ricky Manning JR. CB (1yr.) (he did okay last year)

UFA
                                Channing Crowder MLB (4yrs cheap)
                                James Butler SS (3yrs cheap cuz of spags)
                                Duke Preston or Matt Birk C (both are big Centers Preston will com cheap)
                                Colin Cole DT (3 yrs 325 pounder for DL subs that spags is good at)
                                Leigh Bodden CB (2yrs With Fakir Brown and Jason Craft gone we need a guy who has started at CB before for depth behind Bartell and Hill)

*All of these Free Agents will come cheap (except Matt Birk) And will be afforable and i see us going into the draft with about 8-9 million witch is good enuff to sign our picks.*

DRAFT
                                Round 1: Eugene Monroe OT
                                why: i want Crabtree but lets face it the Rams want to get bigger more physical thy get bigger with Monroe and a capable replacement for Pace. Also i dont think Gross will hit the FA market so the Rams will look for a young franchise OT here.
                                Round 2: Clint Stinton SLB
                                Why: We are moving spoon to WLB and Starting Crowder at MLB so we need a SLB and stinton could be the guy. Stinton is a first round talent that will be there in the 2nd. He is big 6-3 255 pounds and is a fantastic blitzer. This is like a perfect marrige for Spags.
                                Round 3: Ron Brace NT
                                Why: Yea he will be there in round 3 for us. He is a great run stopper at NT and we need run stoppers so he would be perfect for us. However if a 3-4 defense drafts him high we could look at Evander Hood who is extremly coachable and a team leader.
                                Round 3: (From Titans) Dominique Johnson
                                Why: 6-2 200 pounds can run fast and is a 3rd rounder? yea its true i see him as a potintial starter in 2010 or 2011. This guy has a good future. However i fear he will turn out like Pacman. He has Character issues and gets in to fights with coaches. But i still think we take him.
                                Round 4: Nate Davis QB
                                Why: This is a developmental QB that can back up Bulger next year. However we could go other ways here. We could take Jerimiah Johnson to compliment S-Jax or take Rhett Bomar instead of Nate Davis.
                                Round 5: Tyrone Green OG or Pat White WR/QB
                                Why: With the way our OL always get injured it wouldnt hurt to get son depth. Well i was stuck here. So i put Green. But if we want to add depth to the Center position AQ Shipley will be there but he small and i dont think there is much difference from Romberg. But Pat White will definatly be here. He is converting from QB to WR. And White can break tackles and could fit in with our WCO.
                                Round...
                                -02-17-2009, 02:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X