Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm psychic. That's why I know the Rams first pick will...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm psychic. That's why I know the Rams first pick will...

... upset many Rams fans.

If its Bradford, there will be those who will scream that the Rams made a huge mistake taking a QB with a history of injuries and passing on a "once in a generation" DT.

If its Suh, there will be those who will scream that the Rams made a huge mistake passing on the next great franchise QB in favor of a defensive tackle.

If the Rams trade down, there will be those who will scream that the Rams should have taken one great player, instead of two merely good players.

There will be Suhians, Bradfordites, and even the odd McCoyian and Clausenian.

There is no pleasing the fan base... at least not as a whole.

I have my opinions like everyone else but, in the end, I have faith in decisionmakers to make a reasoned decision. There are no guarantees, so it might not turn out as we hope, but THEY KNOW MORE THAN WE DO and, unlike the previous regime, they actually have a background in FOOTBALL.

So... sit back and watch. All I have said will come to pass will indeed... come to pass.

Re: I'm psychic. That's why I know the Rams first pick will...

I'm a Suhian but I have my respect for Bradfordites, not really so for McCoyians for Clausenians.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Comment

I honestly won't be upset either way. The only thing that would bother me is if we took suh and didn't draft a QB at all, or until like round 7 (again).

It has all happened before, it will all happen again.
      "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Comment

For some reason Bradfordite sounds kind of odd.

Comment

If i want suh in round 1 and colt mcoy in round 2 does that make me a mcoyian?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
            If i want suh in round 1 and colt mcoy in round 2 does that make me a mcoyian?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
            I'd love this scenario.

Comment

If I like Tebow....What does that make me?

Comment

Originally posted by LARAM View Post
                If I said what I want to say, it would be deleted. So I'll just say your in the minority

Comment

i agree..i will be happy with suh or bradford, and maybe even more happy if we were able to pull off a trade-down scenario where we still pick up bradford, but some people's opinions are so strong you'd think they know more than football people.

Comment

I want Suh and will settle for Bradford. Would not mind the Rams trading down if they can get some quality picks so any of those options right now work for me.

Go Rams

Comment

I'm wary when people say that a team should take the "once in a generation player". Everyone couldn't believe it when the Texans passed on Bush - the best college player for a decade, everyone thought Glen Dorsey would be unblockable. Some people thought the Lions should have taken Curry - the most talented player in last year's draft, with the No. 1 pick.

I think I'm leaning towards wanting Bradford now, it's a passing league now and you can't win without a good QB.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishRam
                        I think I'm leaning towards wanting Bradford now, it's a passing league now and you can't win without a good QB.
                        Nor can you win if you can't stop a good QB.

My opinion on this is well-documented; I think Suh will be a special player, and one that shouldn't be passed over when we can get the equivalent of Bradford next year. But having said that, if DeSpags thinks Sammy is the man, so be it. Welcome to the Lou, Sam.

But HUb, our offense is horrible; you can't win if you can't score.

Not exactly true. You can't win if you can't score........more than the other team!

This team scored 10 points a game; horrible, indeed. But they gave up 27 a game. So let's say Bradford comes here, and boosts this offense up. Even doubling their production, ie 20 points a game. Great! Except, of course, we're still giving up a TD more than we scoring. And we're still losing. And we're still picking high next year thinking, "Gosh, I wish there was an elite defender that could help turn the D around." Suh won't be there next year, the equivalent of Bradford will.

But whatever......I can live with Bradford if DeSpags can.
                        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
                          This team scored 10 points a game; horrible, indeed. But they gave up 27 a game. So let's say Bradford comes here, and boosts this offense up. Even doubling their production, ie 20 points a game. Great! Except, of course, we're still giving up a TD more than we scoring. And we're still losing. And we're still picking high next year thinking, "Gosh, I wish there was an elite defender that could help turn the D around." Suh won't be there next year, the equivalent of Bradford will.
                          But part of the reason the defense gave up 27 points a game was because the offense couldn't stay on the field. There were so many games this past season where the defense had kept them in the game until the 4th quarter before the offense was too inept to take the chance.

If, as you say, Bradford could make the offense 10 points a game better then I guarantee the defense gets better. By how much? Who knows, but if the offense can stay on the field longer the defense won't get as tired and will perform more consistently.

It's very much a circular argument, a good defense would give an offense more time on the field, thus having more time to score.

Put it this way, if the Rams pick Bradford I'd love it, if they picked Suh I'd love it. The team is instantly better either way and I can't think of anyone who I'd rather have making the choice than Devaney and Spagnuolo.

Comment

Originally posted by LARAM View Post
                            Coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBritishRam View Post
                              But part of the reason the defense gave up 27 points a game was because the offense couldn't stay on the field. There were so many games this past season where the defense had kept them in the game until the 4th quarter before the offense was too inept to take the chance.

If, as you say, Bradford could make the offense 10 points a game better then I guarantee the defense gets better. By how much? Who knows, but if the offense can stay on the field longer the defense won't get as tired and will perform more consistently.

It's very much a circular argument, a good defense would give an offense more time on the field, thus having more time to score.

Put it this way, if the Rams pick Bradford I'd love it, if they picked Suh I'd love it. The team is instantly better either way and I can't think of anyone who I'd rather have making the choice than Devaney and Spagnuolo.
                              Agreed.

I bet you that if we had a productive offense, our defense would suddenly get better, even without any major upgrades or addition.

Why? Because last year, our offense was pathetic. 3 and outs, 3 and outs, fumble, interception, everything was basically negative. We basically killed our defense last year. It's a wonder they didn't give up more points.

If we're only averaging 10 points a game, that's going to kill our defense.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                                Question: Is there a scenario where the Rams take a QB first overall?
                                by Nick
                                Let me preface this by saying that I was thinking about the Rams’ options with their first round pick, and as I continued to think about the possibilities, a thought occurred to me. I don’t know if it’s a good thought, I don’t know if it’s an accurate thought. I’m not even sure I completely agree with it myself. But it’s something that crossed my mind that I wanted to get some input on.

Here’s the question: Is there a scenario in which the Rams take a quarterback with the first overall pick in this draft?

To some, the answer is no way – Suh is the pick the whole way. To others, the answer is absolutely – if the Rams think Clausen or Bradford are franchise-caliber quarterbacks, they should take them without question. So obviously there’s a scenario where it could happen, right?

Anything’s possible in the draft, so the Rams certainly could take a quarterback with the first overall pick. But consider this - Ndamukong Suh is highly regarded around the league. More than anyone else, he’s viewed as the best overall prospect in this class. In talks with NFL front office personnel, Peter King reported that many felt Suh was the best defensive prospect to come out in quite some time. Some have gone so far as to compare him to Reggie White.

That’s lofty praise, and it’s the kind of praise that makes you believe teams will be willing to trade up to the first overall pick when normally such talk would be pretty ridiculous. The team that some Rams fans have their eyes on is Tampa Bay. As trading partners, the Bucs make sense for a couple of reasons.

One, the main reason trading down is so hard is because it takes two teams to pull it off. But Tampa looks like an ideal partner. Picking third in the draft, Tampa is desperate for help at the DT position. And it’s very likely that they could miss out on both of the top tackles, if the Rams select Suh and the Detroit Lions select Oklahoma lineman Gerald McCoy. Now, this appears to be a rather deep class at the defensive tackle position. The Buccaneers are also a team trying to rebuild themselves into a contender, so they’re not going to mortgage the stadium in order to move up and take Suh. But I have little doubt that they’d be interested in trading something in order to move up and take such a highly regarded player.

Two, and more importantly to the Rams, neither the Buccaneers nor the Lions will have any interest in drafting a quarterback with their first pick. Both took quarterbacks in the first round of last year’s draft, so they’re set at the position. If the Rams are determined to select either Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen or Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford as their first round pick, they can afford to swap picks with Tampa Bay and will in all likelihood still have their choice of quarterbacks at that spot. Moving down further than third jeopardizes...
                                -01-19-2010, 04:50 PM
                              • RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                Why Draft "Experts" Annoy Me
                                by RamFan_Til_I_Die
                                I can't be the only one that gets annoyed by all these so called draft "experts" that change there mind like r8rh8rmike changes his underwear...about once a week. I'm going to use SI's main mock "expert" as an example. Not becuase he's the best, but because his past mocks are easy to find. H3e's just an example of what annoys me.

Don Banks 2010 NFL Mock Drafts thusfar:

Suh is a rock solid concensus as the surest thing. Sounds great, right?

So roughly a month later, the day before the DT's do anything at the combine, the rock solid concensus is now split 50/50 and McCoy is our choice. Um ok. Nothing changed so why did his opinion?

So because of one quote from Devaney, who is only making picks to save his job, we're now taking a QB in Stafford. Yeah ok, whatever you say Donny boy.

Again implying they'll pick to stay employed rather than to make the pick that helps the team the most, while also covering his backside in case they don't pick Bradford. Pretty typical "expert" BS.

Bradford had a good pro day so now it's a sure thing. OK now at this point I can see someone switching to Bradford as a possibility, but before no way. It just makes no sense. But even still what happened to Suh the "rock solid concensus as the surest thing.?"

WOW. We sure did a 180 in two and a half months didn't we. First Suh is the "rock solid concensus as the surest thing" and now to take anyone but Bradford is "the kind of stunning turn of events we haven't seen in years."

This is just one example of what annoys me about these "experts." McShay has flopped from Suh to Bradford also, while Kiper has flipped from Suh being "the most dominating defensive tackle I've seen in 32 years of doing this." to Clausen. It seems like they build up and exaggerate the plus side of whoever they want. For the longest time all we heard was Suh is a lock to go #1 to the Rams, and now it's a QB. Yes I know Blger is now gone, but these guys flopped to QBs while he was still here. Is it anything more than hype and these draft guys feeding off of each other that made Suh go from the guaranteed pick to now being the #2 DT behind McCoy in many people's eyes? I just don't get it. These guys annoy the crap out of me....
                                -04-17-2010, 09:26 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                If the Rams stay at pick #1, there are really only 4 candidates.
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                If the Rams don't trade down from the first pick in the draft, their choice really comes down to four players.

The Frontrunner: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
                                I call Suh the frontrunner because he is the player that most people consider the best prospect in the draft. While I obviously don't have any inside information from the Rams, I certainly can see a coach like Steve Spagnuolo, who built a champion defense on the strength of the D line, favoring Suh.

The Dark-Horse Candidate: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
                                While he is currently overshadowed by Suh, he is still considered a top 3-5 pick. If Suh slides during the evaluation period, while McCoy shines, he could rise to the top.

The Cult Favorite: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
                                Those who like Clausen really like him. In my opinion, his size is potentially an issue, and I'll be curious how he is reported as comporting himself in interviews. That said... QBs can rise quickly in the eyes of scouts, coaches and personnel guys. Just ask Mark Sanchez.

The Forgotten Candidate: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
                                Bradford may have been the first pick in the 2009 draft had he come out. Now he stands as the poster child for those who advocate early departures from college. Still, if he passes all the tests he'll be put through in the next few months, teams could fall in love again with his 2008 game tapes.

There are other top prospects who I really don't think the Rams would take No. 1 overall. I have Derrick Morgan rated #2 on my draft board, but I really don't see the Rams passing on Suh (or McCoy) to take him. Eric Berry and Joe Haden are A list DBs who will both go in the top 10 selections, but again, not to the Rams at No. 1. The Rams may like C.J. Spiller (as do I), but they can't afford to take a RB at No. 1 unless they trade Jackson, which isn't likely to happen. Finally, Dez Bryant, though a top WR prospect, does not appear to be a guy who would go that high.

So, in my book... its one of these four players or a trade down (which I don't expect to happen).

Anyone think there are more than four candidates?
                                -01-18-2010, 03:45 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Rams could find a tonic at top of draft ..
                                by MauiRam
                                Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                12/18/2009

In this, their unfortunate season of imperfection, the Rams get no breaks. Whatever can go wrong usually does go wrong.

On Monday afternoon, Steve Spagnuolo had just finished running through the injury report from the Rams latest defeat when he paused for a moment to stare at the slip of paper that was chock full of names and assorted bumps and bruises.

"Wow this thing really is pretty long," he said, only half-joking.

There are other places in the pro football universe, like Indianapolis and New Orleans, where they contemplate the ramifications of trying to get through their schedule unblemished. Every NFL talking head, talk-show host and ex-player and coach has an opinion about the value of chasing a perfect season.

Oh, to be so lucky. The Rams haven't been in that exclusive neighborhood in nearly a decade. Way over here on the darker side of the NFL, the imperfect Rams the worst team in pro football at 1-12 just ponder more creative ways to suffer.

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it does.

A swine flu mini-epidemic just swept through Rams Park.

Practice was canceled Thursday when a half-dozen players or so came to work suffering from swine flu symptoms.

You can't make this stuff up.

Q: Who where the only Rams players who didn't get the swine flu? MORE
                                A: The wide receivers. They haven't caught anything all year.

On Thursday afternoon, the only thing the Rams coach could do was laugh about the crazy circumstances. When someone asked him if he was worried that he might not have enough healthy players to suit up for Sunday's game with Houston, Spags chuckled. "I will be out there," he said. "Don't even send me down that direction."

This wretched season just keeps getting more curious, and I just happen to love it. Stop me if you've heard this before, but I have found the silver lining in this dark, dark cloud. At this point for the 1-12 Rams, losing is definitely a very good thing. If they're going to be bad, you might as well aim to be the worst team in the NFL, because losing does have its rewards.

If you're going to be this historically bad, the silver lining is knowing that there is a stud future Pro Bowl game-changing defensive tackle waiting for the Rams if they get the first pick in next spring's NFL draft and if they're only smart enough to take him.

Sometimes you get star-crossed when you are a bad team, and that is what has happened to the Rams the last few years. They get just bad enough to be near the top of the draft, but then they get stuck with having to draft a player with the second overall pick who isn't really a drop-dead, game-changing automatic stud.

This year, they...
                                -12-18-2009, 07:42 AM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                In case the Rams get the first pick, let me say this now for the record.
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                We must all fight against those who will inevitably try to pick apart Ndamukong Suh as a prospect.

It happens EVERY year. There are players who, in November/December, are viewed as premium prospects who... for no reason other than the availablity of a platform for every yokel on the planet with a opionion... are nitpicked to the point where they become UNDERvalued.

For example, last year, Michael Oher was viewed as a top 10 pick throughout the NCAA season. Then, a the season ended and the "evaluation" period began, people began to question him (mainly regarding subjective criteria). As a result, he ends up as the 22nd pick in the draft (only to play like an early first rounder as a rookie).

Who knows how or why it will happen to Suh. Maybe he'll weigh in at 295 instead of 300. Maybe he'll run the 40 slightly slower than expected. Maybe someone will hyper-focus on some aspect of his personality or past. But, mark my words, there will be people who will try to argue that he's not worthy of the first pick in the draft.

If you've watched him play, you know better. If you look at his stats (which are OFF THE CHART for a DT), you know better.

Ndamukong Suh is the best prospect in the draft.

He will still be the best prospect in the draft in April.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
                                -12-18-2009, 10:57 AM
                              Working...
                              X