Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Exception Option:

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Exception Option:

    St Louis Post-Dispatch:

    "League sources told the Post-Dispatch that general manager Billy Devaney and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur made a trip to Florida at the start of this week to meet with Bradford, who has been training and rehabbing in Pensacola since undergoing surgery on his throwing shoulder. Devaney and Shurmur sat down with Bradford and talked football, and also met with Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery."

    The only way I would be okay about passing on Suh is if I knew the Rams could get a monster DT somewhere else, either later in the draft, or from free agency after the draft. Apparently the Rams have something in mind. I dont know who else the Rams would target other than Glen Dorsey.

    Bradford + Dorsey > Suh
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -03-19-2010, 11:57 AM.

  • #2
    Re: The Exception Option:

    I certainly would be interested in Dorsey at the right price, but I don't expect that a deal will materialize.

    That said, there is a lot of depth at DT in this draft. Most mocks have five going in the first round alone (Suh, McCoy, D.Williams, Odrick, Price). It is certainly possible that one or two of those guys could fall to the top of Round 2.

    In Round 2-3, one guy who intrigues me is Lamarr Houston from Texas. He has good size (6'2, 305), quickness (4.85 in 40) and production (68 tackles/22 TFL/8.0 sacks)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Exception Option:

      With all the holes on this defense, why is a premier DT considered such a massive requirement? What if Spags looks at Scott as a premier prospect who is better than anyone they could find in round 2 or beyond?

      To me, this team needs a DE and SLB more than they need a DT. They have Scott, Ryan, Carriker, Robbins and if they add another person, one of those is likely to go. Having said this, T. Cody may fall to the Rams in the 2nd round.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Exception Option:

        Huh? I'm missing something - what do you mean by 'apparently they have something in mind?'

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Exception Option:

          I also have wondered why people are so concerned with Defensive Tackle. We have two young prospects in Ryan and Scott who i think will become pretty darn good and there is still that unknown commodity that is Carriker. The fact that this draft is deep in defensive tackle just furthers my point that the Rams should get their signal caller this year. I'm with Shefter now in saying that it looks to be a lock barring ridiculous trade offers that Bradford will be throwing passes to Avery this coming preseason. The second round is much more a toss-up and is harder to read then a 3 year old's handwriting...

          I am confident that the Rams know what they are doing and that the scouting department has done a fabulous job year round.

          2009 draft is looking better by the day and it still remains to be seen how Brooks Foster, Oby, and Null turn out. Null should serve as an effective long term back-up.

          In DeSpags I trust.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Exception Option:

            If we pass on Suh and take Bradford it seems DT will not be selected in round 2 .


            WR, DE, CB, OT, TE -- all seem more likely.


            I believe OLB can be filed in the forth round.

            so if I had to guess right now.

            round 1 QB = round 2 DE/WR

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Exception Option:

              id be more inclined to go with BPA in the second round. BPA every round just isnt practical. Your not going to select a QB because he is the BPA if you have Peyton Manning or just drafted a guy last year. Though we don't have a manning at DT we're serviceable there. Bradford fills a much bigger need than Suh would imo.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Exception Option:

                I might be the only person in the world who doesnt see wr as a big need. Certainly not worthy of a round two pick.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Exception Option:

                  Originally posted by RebelYell View Post
                  With all the holes on this defense, why is a premier DT considered such a massive requirement? What if Spags looks at Scott as a premier prospect who is better than anyone they could find in round 2 or beyond?

                  To me, this team needs a DE and SLB more than they need a DT. They have Scott, Ryan, Carriker, Robbins and if they add another person, one of those is likely to go. Having said this, T. Cody may fall to the Rams in the 2nd round.
                  I agree 100%, unless their name is Suh or McCoy, I would be just fine in improving areas of our team other than DT.

                  Of course I'm still holding out for Carriker....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Exception Option:

                    Originally posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
                    I might be the only person in the world who doesnt see wr as a big need. Certainly not worthy of a round two pick.
                    You aren't alone. Our wideout issues can best be cured by hiring a vet, not drafting a rookie.

                    Originally posted by RebelYell View Post
                    With all the holes on this defense, why is a premier DT considered such a massive requirement? What if Spags looks at Scott as a premier prospect who is better than anyone they could find in round 2 or beyond?

                    To me, this team needs a DE and SLB more than they need a DT. They have Scott, Ryan, Carriker, Robbins and if they add another person, one of those is likely to go. Having said this, T. Cody may fall to the Rams in the 2nd round.
                    I dunno....maybe its the whole getting lit up up the center by opposing offenses and the inability to generate and/or sustain a working pass rush with our Front Four thing. Of the names you listed, only Ryan strikes me as a guy who would catch on with and stick in another team's rotation.

                    If we think Scott is a premier prospect, well, we'll be hiring some front office and coaching replacements in a year regardless of whether or not we took a QB and have a "stake" in the program for the future.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Exception Option:

                      Originally posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
                      I also have wondered why people are so concerned with Defensive Tackle. We have two young prospects in Ryan and Scott who i think will become pretty darn good and there is still that unknown commodity that is Carriker. The fact that this draft is deep in defensive tackle just furthers my point that the Rams should get their signal caller this year. I'm with Shefter now in saying that it looks to be a lock barring ridiculous trade offers that Bradford will be throwing passes to Avery this coming preseason. The second round is much more a toss-up and is harder to read then a 3 year old's handwriting...

                      I am confident that the Rams know what they are doing and that the scouting department has done a fabulous job year round.

                      2009 draft is looking better by the day and it still remains to be seen how Brooks Foster, Oby, and Null turn out. Null should serve as an effective long term back-up.

                      In DeSpags I trust.
                      I too think it is now almost a forgone conclusion that we will select Bradford if he checks out medically and we don't trade out of the first spot.
                      I don't think DT would be on everyone's mind as much as it is if it were not for Suh. Having such a dominant game against Texas really solidified him as the consensus best player in the draft. I would love it if he became a Ram, but I realize that the pressure is really on the front office to make the right pick this year and taking Bradford probably makes more sense from their point of view.
                      I'm still a fan of selecting Suh because I love good defense as much or more than good offense, but offense is what sells tickets.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Exception Option:

                        DE is far more of a team need than DT IMO..luckily theres some good ones in this upcoming draft that should be there when we pick after the 1st round...wouldnt suprise me if we drafted two DE`s before we took a DT if we take one atall.
                        there are some good DT`s in this draft class ...just with Spags using packages where DE`s move inside ,its time to supply him with some to use.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Exception Option:

                          Originally posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
                          I agree 100%, unless their name is Suh or McCoy, I would be just fine in improving areas of our team other than DT.

                          Of course I'm still holding out for Carriker....
                          Exactly. I'm not saying this precludes the taking of Suh but I don't think NOT taking him means we somehow have to replace his absence.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Exception Option:

                            Yeah, I've said it before, and I'll throw it out there again: Spags is a D-Line guy. His specialty is coaching up players and turning them into great NFL talent. All of the great linemen in NY came in the 2nd round or later, so why would the coach want to spend a higher pick on a side of the ball he's been successful coaching up in the past?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Exception Option:

                              Originally posted by Warner4prez View Post
                              Yeah, I've said it before, and I'll throw it out there again: Spags is a D-Line guy. His specialty is coaching up players and turning them into great NFL talent. All of the great linemen in NY came in the 2nd round or later, so why would the coach want to spend a higher pick on a side of the ball he's been successful coaching up in the past?
                              Even though he's had success doing that in the past I think he'd love to be able to add someone like Suh to his line up and would jump at the opportunity...if he was set at QB.

                              Comment

                              Loading...
                              Working...
                              X