Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I think Devaney prefers Bradford to Clausen

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why I think Devaney prefers Bradford to Clausen

    I think what we're witnessing here is a repeat of what happened last year with Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe. Obviously comparing OT to QB is a stretch because it's a whole other beast, but I believe a similar debate was ongoing between the Smith fans and the Monroe fans last year.

    Jason Smith was not a five star recruit when he arrived at Baylor and they actually expected him to be their future TE. He played in a two point stance in college (not the three point stance OTs play in the NFL) meaning he had to transition as a pro and get comfortable in that regard. He had a ton of raw ability and untapped potential that scouts saw and he played with great passion and fire. For those who watched interviews of him prior to and after the draft, it was apparent he was quite the character and very serious about becoming a great pro. Eugene Monroe, on the other hand, was the heir apparent to D'Brickashaw Ferguson and he was a top recruit coming out of high school, so it was something he was preparing for his entire life. He played in the traditional three point stance and excelled in pass protection but many had doubts about his power and strength to anchor the running game. In comparison to Smith, he was much more NFL ready and could play from day one. However, there was also questions about how much further he could develop and Smith was generally viewed as the OT with the higher ceiling.

    I think Devaney is leaning towards Bradford for the same reason he liked Smith. He's projecting what each could be as an NFL starter, and it sounds like he prefers Bradford to Clausen at this point. If Devaney wanted the polished, NFL ready player who played in a pro-style formation, he would've taken Monroe last year without even blinking an eye. Yet, he envisioned Smith as the better player once he gets the opportunity to develop and grow into a true OT at the NFL level. He sees Bradford as the better pro once he develops fully under center and spends every waking hour working in a pro style offense. That's why I laugh when analysts or fans say we made a "safe" selection last year because if we truly wanted to be safe we would've selected Monroe and not Smith. Jason was the one with more question marks and we drafted him with the assumption he would develop all of his raw skills and become an elite OT. I believe Devaney sees the same with Bradford (and that's no knock on Clausen), he sees a player with elite intangibles and a physical skill set that translates well to our offense. Bradford wasn't highly recruited much like Smith and he had to beat the odds just to become a starter at Oklahoma (many thought he was the third favourite to win the job back in '07) but he ended up doing much more. Clausen was the "LeBron James of football" when he arrived at Notre Dame and he knew he would be the starting QB soon enough ala Monroe. Again, I know comparing OT to QB is a bit of a stretch, but I see similar qualities and coincidences this year like we had last year with Smith vs. Monroe. I'm only offering an opinion and reasoning as to why I believe Devaney seems to be leaning Bradford instead of Clausen. In no way am I saying Bradford has more passion or dedication for football than Clausen, I'm merely suggesting what Devaney might see after he's gathered information on the two.

    I bolded one part in particular because I don't want to hear from Clausen fans something along the lines of "You're saying Clausen doesn't fit well with our offense!?" because that isn't what I'm implying in the least. I'm just saying that Devaney believes Bradford possesses the higher ceiling once he harnesses all of his ability and exerts it into a pro-style offense.

  • #2
    Re: Why I think Devaney prefers Bradford to Clausen

    That certainly could (and probably is) a factor in the reckoning. I think its more so that the talking heads up top just think, and i would agree, that Bradford will become a better football player. He has everything Clausen has and more besides a never injured shoulder.

    Once again with the shoulder however, the guy got his surgery froma league wide renknowned surgeon and has gotten that thumbs up from every scrutinizing physical examiner they've been able to throw at him and passd with flying colors. On top of that, Bradford supposedyl has one of the most treatable and least recurring effects having injury you can get. we've actually seen the results of a repaired shoulder with Brees who's injury was roughly twice as bad as Bradfords'.

    Bradford has everything you want in a QB so why wouldn'y you draft him.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Why I think Devaney prefers Bradford to Clausen

      Originally posted by Bald_81 View Post
      I think what we're witnessing here is a repeat of what happened last year with Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe. Obviously comparing OT to QB is a stretch because it's a whole other beast, but I believe a similar debate was ongoing between the Smith fans and the Monroe fans last year.

      Jason Smith was not a five star recruit when he arrived at Baylor and they actually expected him to be their future TE. He played in a two point stance in college (not the three point stance OTs play in the NFL) meaning he had to transition as a pro and get comfortable in that regard. He had a ton of raw ability and untapped potential that scouts saw and he played with great passion and fire. For those who watched interviews of him prior to and after the draft, it was apparent he was quite the character and very serious about becoming a great pro. Eugene Monroe, on the other hand, was the heir apparent to D'Brickashaw Ferguson and he was a top recruit coming out of high school, so it was something he was preparing for his entire life. He played in the traditional three point stance and excelled in pass protection but many had doubts about his power and strength to anchor the running game. In comparison to Smith, he was much more NFL ready and could play from day one. However, there was also questions about how much further he could develop and Smith was generally viewed as the OT with the higher ceiling.

      I think Devaney is leaning towards Bradford for the same reason he liked Smith. He's projecting what each could be as an NFL starter, and it sounds like he prefers Bradford to Clausen at this point. If Devaney wanted the polished, NFL ready player who played in a pro-style formation, he would've taken Monroe last year without even blinking an eye. Yet, he envisioned Smith as the better player once he gets the opportunity to develop and grow into a true OT at the NFL level. He sees Bradford as the better pro once he develops fully under center and spends every waking hour working in a pro style offense. That's why I laugh when analysts or fans say we made a "safe" selection last year because if we truly wanted to be safe we would've selected Monroe and not Smith. Jason was the one with more question marks and we drafted him with the assumption he would develop all of his raw skills and become an elite OT. I believe Devaney sees the same with Bradford (and that's no knock on Clausen), he sees a player with elite intangibles and a physical skill set that translates well to our offense. Bradford wasn't highly recruited much like Smith and he had to beat the odds just to become a starter at Oklahoma (many thought he was the third favourite to win the job back in '07) but he ended up doing much more. Clausen was the "LeBron James of football" when he arrived at Notre Dame and he knew he would be the starting QB soon enough ala Monroe. Again, I know comparing OT to QB is a bit of a stretch, but I see similar qualities and coincidences this year like we had last year with Smith vs. Monroe. I'm only offering an opinion and reasoning as to why I believe Devaney seems to be leaning Bradford instead of Clausen. In no way am I saying Bradford has more passion or dedication for football than Clausen, I'm merely suggesting what Devaney might see after he's gathered information on the two.

      I bolded one part in particular because I don't want to hear from Clausen fans something along the lines of "You're saying Clausen doesn't fit well with our offense!?" because that isn't what I'm implying in the least. I'm just saying that Devaney believes Bradford possesses the higher ceiling once he harnesses all of his ability and exerts it into a pro-style offense.
      You bring up some fair points, but may be overthinking it. It's entirely possible that Devaney prefers Bradford because Devaney simply views Bradford as the superior prospect.

      I've seen three separate reports that suggest Clausen's stock isn't where many fans or draftniks think it is. To name a few, (1) Casserly reported that, of teams he spoke to at the combine, Bradford was the unanimous top QB; (2) Daniel Jeremiah of Move the Sticks says no team he's talked to has a Top 10 grade on Clausen, and (3) Adam Caplan of Scout.com reported earlier this month that multiple teams don't even have a first round grade on the guy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Why I think Devaney prefers Bradford to Clausen

        Originally posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
        That certainly could (and probably is) a factor in the reckoning. I think its more so that the talking heads up top just think, and i would agree, that Bradford will become a better football player. He has everything Clausen has and more besides a never injured shoulder.

        Once again with the shoulder however, the guy got his surgery froma league wide renknowned surgeon and has gotten that thumbs up from every scrutinizing physical examiner they've been able to throw at him and passd with flying colors. On top of that, Bradford supposedyl has one of the most treatable and least recurring effects having injury you can get. we've actually seen the results of a repaired shoulder with Brees who's injury was roughly twice as bad as Bradfords'.

        Bradford has everything you want in a QB so why wouldn'y you draft him.
        I'm not saying it isn't true, but I haven't seen anything specifically about this one way or the other. Can you point me to an article or something?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Why I think Devaney prefers Bradford to Clausen

          Originally posted by harrydog View Post
          I'm not saying it isn't true, but I haven't seen anything specifically about this one way or the other. Can you point me to an article or something?
          The only thing to my knowledge is...

          Bradford has been given physicals by a number of NFL teams. When I asked him about those, he told me he has “passed with flying colors.”
          Per Gil Brandt on NFL.com. We've heard nothing to the contrary, which is usually good.

          Again though, my issue isn't "Can he pass a physical now?" but rather "Is he going to be able to hold up to the punishment of the NFL?"

          Being healthy at present or having his shoulder check out now doesn't answer the latter question, and just because "league wide renowned surgeon" James Andrews was your doctor doesn't mean you can't get injured in some fashion again down the road. Just ask Chad Pennington.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Why I think Devaney prefers Bradford to Clausen

            I think the "upside' argument can be made for any of the top four candidates. Bradford has the Hollywood central casting profile of an NFL QB. Suh was the most successful/impactful individual player. Mccoy arguably best fits Spags preferred profile of a versatile NFL DT. Clausen has already demonstrated physical & mental fortitude in a pro-style offense.

            And now The Rams have scheduled a private workout for Bradford on April 12th. Which way will the pundits spin that? Are they already sure he's their guy & don't care who knows it? Are there lingering doubts about the injury thing? Is it a smokescreen to induce trade offers & they aren't slamdunk sure about any of them & would prefer more picks ? Who knows.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Why I think Devaney prefers Bradford to Clausen

              I could see the Rams trying to scare up some draft picks this year by playing up this Bradford thing. Last season the Rams actually sent Sanchez a plane ticket, but didn't pick him. But whatever the truth really is, I think the Rams are going to wait until the last possible moment on draft day in hopes of a trade.

              Comment

              Related Topics

              Collapse

              • eldfan
                Top QBs are on Rams' radar
                by eldfan
                Top QBs are on Rams' radar

                Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen By Jim Thomas
                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                02/28/2010

                INDIANAPOLIS For the two best quarterbacks in this year's draft, Oklahoma's Sam Bradford and Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen, this NFL scouting combine has nothing to do with skill and ability. It's all about good health.

                Forget about what the coaches and scouts think, the people they need to impress are the dozens of doctors and trainers here from all 32 NFL teams.

                Bradford is still healing from surgery to his throwing shoulder; Clausen from right toe surgery. They will not work out here; but they got a grueling workout from all the medical people. Both players are very much on the Rams' radar, particularly Bradford, when it comes to consideration for the No. 1 overall pick.

                Bradford underwent a reconstruction of the AC joint after injuring the shoulder for the second time last season. ShopSTL Marketplace

                Shop'n Save

                "They just went in, and with like a nylon braid, put the clavicle back in place and pretty much re-secured the joint," Bradford said.

                More precisely, Bradford said the injury was a Grade 3 separation of his shoulder. He initially suffered the injury in the Sooners' 2009 season opener against BYU. Six weeks later, on Oct. 17, he did it again against rival Texas.

                "From what I heard from doctors after the second (separation), for my long-term health, if I wanted to continue playing football and get stronger in the weight room I needed to have the surgery," Bradford said.

                Bradford was scheduled to meet with Rams officials Saturday night here in Indy, as was Texas quarterback Colt McCoy. After spending a couple of hours Friday getting examined and questioned by the combine doctors and trainers, Bradford said the initial feedback he got on his injury was encouraging.

                "I think it checked out really well when I went through the team physicals," he said. "No one found anything they weren't expecting to find. I'm in a great rehab program right now my throwing sessions are really starting to pick up in intensity."

                Bradford said his last throwing session consisted of over 100 throws. He isn't experiencing any soreness after those sessions and says his arm feels great. During his combine examinations, Bradford said, medical officials are testing his arm strength and range of motion.

                For now, Bradford has been throwing every other day, and estimates that his arm strength is at 85 percent. During those workouts, Bradford says, he's "putting as much as I can" on his throws. "I feel like if you want to get your arm stronger, that's what you've got to do," he said. "I've gotten stronger every time I've thrown."

                Rams general manager Billy Devaney said Friday that...
                -02-28-2010, 02:15 PM
              • r8rh8rmike
                St. Louis Rams Get A Look At Jimmy Clausen
                by r8rh8rmike
                St. Louis Rams get a look at Jimmy Clausen
                BY BILL COATS
                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                04/10/2010

                The Rams' pre-draft audition of quarterback prospects continued and apparently ended Friday with Jimmy Clausen's pro day at Notre Dame's indoor practice facility in South Bend, Ind. General manager Billy Devaney came away impressed with Clausen, who completed 57 of 59 passes during the 30-minute workout.

                "Clausen looked outstanding," Devaney said. "He threw the ball with velocity, he was extremely accurate, he made all the throws. He's a natural passer; he showed that."

                Clausen, who had been recovering from surgery to repair torn tendons in his right big toe, hadn't performed for NFL talent scouts until Friday. Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo also was in attendance, as was offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and quarterbacks coach Dick Curl.

                "I was just excited to be able to come out and throw the ball around," Clausen said. "I got a little tired while I was out there, but I think it went really well. It was good to be able to throw with my legs and not just my arm."

                Previously, the Rams attended Sam Bradford's pro day March 29 at Oklahoma and worked out Texas' Colt McCoy privately on Thursday in Austin. Devaney had strong praise for their showings, too.

                Coming off a 1-15 season, the Rams have the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, which will kick off with first-round selections April 22 in New York. The second and third rounds will be held April 23, with the final four rounds to be completed April 24.

                It's been widely speculated that the Rams will select a quarterback, and Bradford appears to be a strong front-runner.

                The release of Marc Bulger, the team's starting quarterback for most of the past eight seasons, further fueled conjecture that the Rams will opt for a quarterback in the first round.

                Devaney emphasized that no decision has been reached yet, although he said "we're done" looking at quarterbacks. He declined to compare the three prospects.

                "The evaluation process now will continue next week when we get together with the scouts and coaches," Devaney added. "We'll get everybody's input and see where we are at that point."
                -04-10-2010, 06:22 PM
              • Bing69
                Devaney on st. paddys day
                by Bing69
                Was just watching a video on nfl.com with Devaney giving his views on the draft, Bradford, Suh n MCoy etc. He was asked if the rams would be looking to trade out of the top spot, and he said of course they would. It would give them more picks and a chance to fill out the roster. He was then asked what he had been doing on st. paddys day, and he said he had been watching notre dame tape all day!

                Now, maybe im readin too much into it, but would it seem that Devaney would REALLY like to move out of the 1st pick? Surely if he was comfortable with picking Suh/McCoy/Bradford at 1 then there would be no need spending so much time to check out Clausen (i assume it would be Clausen in the Notre Dame tape). Maybe Devaney wants Clausen....
                -03-18-2010, 03:36 PM
              • AvengerRam_old
                What I'm looking for in a franchise QB
                by AvengerRam_old
                Taking a franchise QB prospect in the top 10 picks of the draft is a daunting task. Will you end up with the next Matt Ryan/Joe Flacco, or the next Alex Smith/Jamarcus Russell?

                There will never be a pefect formula for this, and if there were, I doubt I'd be the one to discover it, but for what its worth, here are the things I'm looking for:

                1. MPTs (Minimum Physical Traits)
                Top QBs don't all come in the same shape and size, but I do think there are a few minimum traits that, if lacked, will doom a QB to no better than mediocrity. They are: arm strength, physical bulk, and "pocket footwork."

                Arm strength refers to the ability to get the ball out and to a receiver quickly. It is a function of two factors: (1) release speed and (2) velocity. One factor can compensate for another, but the best QBs have both.

                Physical bulk, I believe, is more important than height. I'd rather have a well-built 6'1 QB, than a 6'6 string-bean. Otherwise, an injury-filled career is too big a risk.

                Finally, "pocket footwork" is, in my opinion, far more important than running ability. Give me a guy who knows how to step-up, side-step and roll out over a guy who can take off and run for first downs.

                2. Contagious Confidence
                People often mistakenly mistake brashness or vocal presence for leadership. To me, its more a question of a guy who displays confidence in his demeanor, what he says, and how he plays when the chips are down. Give me a guy who can throw 3 interceptions in the first half, shrug it off, and throw for 3 TDs in the second half.

                3. Unaided College Productivity
                Combines and workouts serve a purpose, nothing compares to productivity in game conditions. There's a caveat, though... beware of "aided" productivity. A college QB who racks up great stats in a non-pro style offense, against outmatched competition, or through "all-purpose" yardage will rarely be able to duplicate their productivity when they reach the NFL. You also have to throw out won/loss percentage, to a large extent. There are simply too many great college teams that merely carry their QB along for the ride. I'd rather have a smaller-school guy who plays in a pro-style offense and puts up great stats against teams with similar talent on the roster.

                So... how do I evaluate the top current prospects for the 2010 draft?

                Well, in terms of MPTs, I look at Locker and Clausen as the top prospects. McCoy and Bradford have some "bulk" issues that concern me, though in Bradford's case, his fragility may be overstated. In terms of footwork, I'd give McCoy the highest grade (though I'm not sure I've seen any college QB with better footwork than FSU's Christian Ponder).

                In terms of "contagious confidence," my subjective viewpoint is that McCoy and Clausen receive high marks....
                -10-27-2009, 02:30 PM
              • AvengerRam_old
                CLANRAM EXCLUSIVE: Transcript of Combine QB Interviews
                by AvengerRam_old
                My staff was able to obtain exclusive transcripts of the Rams' interviews with some of the top QB prospects at the NFL Scouting Combine. Here are some excerpts:

                Tim Tebow

                Devaney: "Says here that you played in Urban Myer's offense at University of Florida. Can you give us an idea of what your role was?"

                Tebow: "Sure. Typically, I'd get the ball snapped to me from a shotgun, and from there, I'd look downfield and possibly jump up and throw the ball, but usually I'd run it up the middle."

                Spagnuolo: "So you were the primary runner..."

                Tebow: "Well... not exactly. We had running backs too."

                Spagnuolo: "So, you would throw the ball too?"

                Tebow: "Sometimes. A lot of times I'd jump up and throw a short pass to a receiver who would then gain a lot of yards."

                Devaney: "Well, if other players would do most of the running, why not snap the ball directly to them?"

                Tebow: "I'll tell you why... because running backs and receivers aren't good at receiving the snap. That's what QBs do?.

                Spagnuolo: "But isn't that just catching the ball? Can't running backs and receivers do that too?"

                Tebow: "LOOK, I WAS THE QUARTERBACK. RECEIVING THE SNAP WAS MY JOB. THAT'S WHAT I DID! WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE!?!?!?!!"

                Jimmy Clausen

                Devaney: "Your name is Jimmy.... Clausen?"

                Clausen: "Yes."

                Devaney: "Any relation to the Clausen Pickle Company?"

                Clausen: "No, its just a coincidence."

                Spagnuolo: "Cause I'll tell you, when they came out with those crunchy dill minis... well it doen't get any better than that. I'll bet you really love them, what with the same name and all..."

                Clausen: "Yeah, they're pretty good."

                Spagnuolo: "You're damn right they are. Which is your favorite."

                Clausen: "Well, I guess I sort of like them all."

                Devaney: "That's great. I feel the same way. I celebrate their entire catalogue. So, Mr. Clausen."

                Clausen: "You can just call me Jimmy."

                Sam Bradford

                Spagnuolo: "So Sam, can you take us through your last season in college."

                Bradford: "Sure. Well, I played in half of one game, and then sat out most of the rest of the year..."

                Devaney: "Wait... sat out most of the rest of the year?"

                Bradford: "Yeah. I had surgery and then started preparing for the draft. Look... its not that I didn't care about my team, its just that I was injured. And you know what else... since then, I've had eight doctors."

                Devaney: "Eight???"

                ...
                -03-20-2010, 03:33 PM
              Working...
              X