Corey Wootton DE possible 2nd pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corey Wootton DE possible 2nd pick

Does anyone have an opinion on him? He is one of the biggest DEs in the draft and had a serious knee injury in 08 I think.
    Hes not real fast 4.9 or something at the combine, but hes big and strong, and could possibly swing inside at the DT spot on passing downs like Spags likes to do.

Any thoughts?

GO RAMS!!!

Re: Corey Wootton DE possible 2nd pick

all I know is I wouldn't use the 33rd on him, if we got a trade down with the Browns I might use one of the later 2nds on him.

Comment

He was widely projected to be a first round pick before the injury...that's about all I know of him though.

Comment

i think he should play End in a 3-4 in the Pros..to me another Carriker type. i dont know the kid that well tho..so could be wrong..thats just what i automatically think when i see him.

Comment

Im not very impressed by the guy. A fourth rounder flyer? Definetely depending on who we've already drafted. 33rd pick, no freakin' way in hell.

Comment

Never even heard of him. No way a top of the 2nd round pick. We're taking a guy who slips out of the first round there, a current 1st round talent, not a former one. Now, if you want to talk later in the draft, maybe. Then again, if he';s a Carriker clone, I'd rather keep AC and see what he can do healthy for Spags.
            I believe!:ram:

Comment

I agree he's a possible second round pick; I projected him as our second rounder in a mock a couple of weeks ago. I think his value is better later in the second round, but he may be one of the better ends available in round two if there is (as expected) a run on DL in the first. Unless there are some major medical flags, I think he probably comes off in the second or third round at the latest.

Comment

I would love to get him at 65, but I think he will be gone by then. 33 is to early, because of the injury,but if we trade down a bit in the second I would be very happy with the pick.

The kid is tough and played on a knee he should have been resting. He showed an obvious loss of burst at the start of last year. He did improve in that respect as the year went on.

His 40 was a 4.9 Nothing great
                Vertical- 32, not bad at all, shows some explosion
                Broad- 9, same
                Short shuttle- 4.28 this is a great time
                3 cone-7 flat, this is very quick
                These last two show me he is getting his burst back.

The injury is a concern, but it is an injury that has a history of taking two full years to recover from. He has shown he can play on it, and shown improvement on it.
                Last edited by Flipper336; -04-15-2010, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• harrydog
                  Anthony Spencer, Purdue
                  by harrydog
                  I haven't seen much mention of Anthony Spencer on these boards even though some analysts have him rated higher than Crowder or Woodley. If we don't grab a DE with our 1st pick, he might be a good choice in the 2nd round.
                  It's unlikely he'll be there in the 3rd.
                  -04-10-2007, 06:02 AM
                • Shan the Ram Man
                  Would you draft DE Carlos Dunlap with first pick in second round?
                  by Shan the Ram Man
                  Would you fellow Ram fans want Rams to draft DE C. Dunlap with the first pick in the second round?

I think the Rams need a DE oppisite of DE Chris Long more than a DT.

If he falls I hope they pull the plug on him. The way Spags motivates players I don't think he will be a slacker. If he is a slacker like DE J. Peppers we did a good job by drafting him.
                  -03-10-2010, 06:41 PM
                • smizzhfx
                  Quentin Groves - DE/OLB - Auburn
                  by smizzhfx
                  Auburn DE/OLB Quentin Groves posted the fastest forty time among the first DL group Monday, clocking in at 4.50.

It's unofficial, but impressive for the 6'3/254-pounder. Other times include USC DT Sedrick Ellis (5.21), Michigan OLB Shawn Crable (4.56), and Virginia Tech DE/OLB Chris Ellis (4.75). Vernon Gholston is in the second group.
                  (via Rotoworld.)

He may have sprinted his way into the bottom of the 1st round but if he's still on the board at pick #33, I think we'd seriously have to give him some consideration. He may be a little but undersized but has the frame to bulk up more. He is a an absolute beastt of a pass rusher.

Imagine a scenario like this:

Trade the 2nd pick into the bottom of the top 10 (ie. 6th or 7th pick) and recieve an additional 2nd rounder, select Vernon Gholston.

In the second round take Groves if he's still on the board and one of the big name tackles with the other 2nd rounder. (Chris Williams, Gosder Cherilus, Sam Baker, etc.)

That in my mind would be a phenomenal 1st day and would essentially give us one of the hottest young defensive lines in the league in terms of prospects.

DE Vernon Gholston
                  DT Adam Carriker
                  DT Clifton Ryan
                  DE Quentin Groves

Throw in some Leonard Little (providing we restructure his contract) and that defensive line is starting to look pretty good.
                  -02-25-2008, 09:05 AM
                • ZiaRam
                  What should our second pick be in the draft?
                  by ZiaRam
                  Regardless if we trade down or we have the 2nd pick in the 2nd round what position should we address? It is a given the majority of us think that WR or OT will be our first pick but with our next pick I think there is a great need for a CB on our team. At the late 20's or early 2nd round we would have a shot at Dre Kirkpatrickor Janoris Jenkins. Either would be my pick and it's a given we need to build up our Secondary. I prefer Kirkpatrick who can tackle, rush off the edge and is a shut down corner with either man or zone coverge.
                  -02-21-2012, 12:15 PM
                • RamsSB99
                  Draft not as bad as some might think
                  by RamsSB99
                  1. Adam Carriker

Great pick IMO he was the best player for the Rams in the Draft on defense. He has more Speed, Strength, and Size then Okoye or Anderson. 16.5 sacks last two years. He was one if not the strongest players in the draft. He will be a very athletic DT and he will get sacks like Hasletts DTs used to get for the Saints.

2. Brian Leonard

I was not big on this pick. I wanted Tim Crowder DE Texas Height: 6-35/8 Weight: 272 40-Time: 4.69. I think he would have pushed Hall, and Adeyanju for a starting spot at DE. Like Nick has pointed out Hall and Little are 30+ and if Adeyanju works out we still need another DE that will start within a couple years. In the meatime he would have been a good rotation guy if he did not wind up beating out Hall or Adeyanju.

3. Johnathon Wade

I am not as upset with this pick as I am with the previous pick. Yes we lost Tank and Johnson because of the Dante Hall trade. But both fell into the third round and probably will not be quality starters if either ever does unitl year 2 or 3. Hall in the meantime will contribute greatly over the next two years. I have heard we could wait until a later round to address areturn guy instead of trading for Dante. But look at how long we have been without a quality return guy and how many times we have tried that strategy before and failed. As for Tank were do you put him when one DT spot is taken by Carriker and you have one spot for Wrotten, Glover, Kennedy, and Tank. As for Johnson they made their decision in the second that DE was not a priority which I disagree with. They must believe in Adeyanju who I like but even if he panned out we still need another IMO. This round was okay taking a flyer on a CB with 4.36 speed and getting a proven return man we have not had since Horne.

4. (BETTER BE DEFENSE)

5. Dante Hall 5'8 187 WR/Return Man

Two out of the last 4 seasons had over 400 yards receiving. Has 11 Career returns for a TD (5 Punt and 6 Kick Off). Has a career 24 yard kick off return average. With a career 10 yard punt return average. These stats alone do not show his effectiveness as teams will alter the way they kick to him often giving his team better field position. Has held the position of Kick Off and Punt Returner Since 2001 with KC thats 6 straight years as their go to return man. Nice value for the 5th round pick we traded to get him and the swap of thirds.

5. James Hall 6'2 280 DE

Played in 14 games or more from 2001-2005 (5 straight seasons). Last full season was 2004 16 games had 11.5 Sacks. Last year had 5 sacks in just 7 games played. Has averaged 5 or more sacks over the last three years. He is stout against the Run and can get to the passer. Nice value for the 5th round pick we traded to get him.

Overall, we got a starting DT, starting DE, Good Return Man, good backup RB/FB, and...
                  -04-29-2007, 07:35 AM
                Working...
                X