• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns GM Heckert admits to having talks w/ Rams about #1 overall pick

Browns talk to Rams about No. 1 pick
    Associated Press
    Thursday, April 15, 2010

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert says the team has had talks with the St. Louis Rams about moving up in the NFL draft to take quarterback Sam Bradford with the No. 1 overall pick.

Heckert on Thursday said the Browns, who have the No. 7 pick, have been "'playing a little phone tag" but said they have talked with the Rams, who are expected to select the Oklahoma quarterback.

Browns president Mike Holmgren warned that dealing for Bradford could be difficult, saying "you'd have to mortgage the ranch. In the real world, we're probably going to go in a different direction."

Currently owning 10 picks, Cleveland could put together an attractive package of picks to move up.

Bradford did not visit the Browns, but the team attended his pro day workout.

Re: Browns GM Heckert admits to having talks w/ Rams about #1 overall pick

Hmmmmm intresting, if we do manage to switch spots with The Browns. Who do we select? Jimmy Clausen or do address any other option needs?

Comment

In any case, we'll probably end up with a ton of picks. So look out, 2013 NFL season!

Comment

Clausen is a possibility. I could also see Eric Berry, Bryan Bulaga, Dan Williams, Joe Haden, Derrick Morgan, Jason Pierre-Paul, and Dez Bryant getting consideration.

I mean, I view Bradford as the better QB prospect than Clausen, but if the Rams can move down, still get Clausen, and add 2-3 additional picks in the second and third rounds or a player as well, that's not a horrible scenario by any means.

Comment

If they pay enough, and I mean a real nice package with most of it in THIS years draft, then I would go for it because we do have other options for a QB.
          My list for QBs
          1 Bradford ( he is the man)
          2 McCoy ( love his leadership, mobility, a 4 year starter, and the arm "Is good enough" for what we do)
          3 Cambell ( young with upside, cheap, and good enough for us IMO, we dont need Joe Montana to throw 5-10 yard out routes or comebacks) we are a power run offense.

And who knows maybe we have been down playing Clausen for just such a move, he is the most ready to step in and start by numerous reports and if anyone can CHECK that attitude I believe Spags could. (Incognito was an idiot)

Comment

If Mike Holmgren thinks that much of Bradford, then I feel better about taking him, although this all may be theater to attract other bidders for the Brown's pick. Pre-draft talk is just that, talk.

Go Rams with Bradford!

Comment

Really dont want Clausen...

Comment

I think we should somehow obtain the rights to Hershel Walker if we do end up trading the pick.

Comment

Originally posted by shower beers View Post
                  I think we should somehow obtain the rights to Hershel Walker if we do end up trading the pick.

I would definitely be interested in obtaining Herschel Walker... looks like he could still be a quality back up!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                    If Mike Holmgren thinks that much of Bradford, then I feel better about taking him, although this all may be theater to attract other bidders for the Brown's pick. Pre-draft talk is just that, talk.

Go Rams with Bradford!
                    How does the Browns talking to the Rams about trading up going to help other teams trade for the Browns pick?? please explain

Comment

Please let there be a deal with the Browns! We really need the picks, and I would love the flexibility that we could have with the #7 pick. At that point, I think we'd definitely go defense, as that's probably where the strength of the round will be. Passing on Clausen would be seen as a no no for us by the media, but if we can land McCoy at 33, which I think is possible, especially if we keep the Clausen fall going.
                      I believe!:ram:

Comment

The only deal that would entice me would be the Browns' first two picks in this year's draft plus OT Joe Thomas.

Comment

A Herschel Walker trade type scenario and you got yourself a done deal Tom Heckert.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Comment

Never say never, but probably never going to happen. I'm in favor of it, however the truly elite prospects would be gone by then, it gets pretty dicey around seven in some respects.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                              The only deal that would entice me would be the Browns' first two picks in this year's draft plus OT Joe Thomas.
                              As much as I'd love Thomas, there's just no way that they'll trade him. I think the best we're getting from them is picks.
                              I believe!:ram:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• rob6465
                                #1 pick and Browns have 2 # 1's
                                by rob6465
                                Suppose we end up with #1 pick and Browns want that #1 pick. Do we ask for both of their #1's? What else? You think they want to stay with Colt McCoy?
                                -11-06-2011, 08:57 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Browns GM Confirms Trade Talks With Rams
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Browns GM talks draft, free agency

Updated: March 8, 2012, 5:56 PM ET
                                ESPN.com news services

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert acknowledged Thursday that he has had talks with the St. Louis Rams about the No. 2 overall pick, but he wouldn't classify them as "serious."

He was asked if the Browns would be willing to give up both their first-round picks to go higher.

"I'd never say never about anything," said Heckert, who plans to attend Robert Griffin III's pro day workout on March 21.

Heckert met informally Thursday with reporters for the first time since undergoing heart surgery last month. A few pounds lighter, he recently returned to the office after recovering at home and missing the scouting combine in Indianapolis, where the Browns snared an up-close look at Griffin, Baylor's talented Heisman Trophy winner.

With the No. 4 overall pick, the Browns may have a chance to select Griffin, considered the best QB prospect in this year's draft behind Stanford's Andrew Luck, who is expected to be taken first by the Colts. But with Griffin's stock soaring and several teams desperate for a franchise quarterback, Cleveland, which also owns the No. 22 pick, likely would have to trade up to get St. Louis' pick at No. 2 -- if they want Griffin.

It's possible the Browns could wind up in a bidding war with several teams for a shot at Griffin. Heckert treasures draft picks and might be unwilling to part with any of Cleveland's selections. But the price might be worth it if the Browns, who have three of the top 37 picks, feel Griffin can reshape a franchise that has just one playoff appearance since 1999 and was the only AFC North team not in the playoffs last season.

Heckert called all the speculation about a possible trade with St. Louis preliminary and labeled media reports as "crazy." He also said it's possible the Browns might hold onto their first pick.

"We feel very comfortable staying at four and getting a good player there, and that could happen," he said. "And we feel comfortable in moving down and getting more picks, we really do. It's way early to start talking about this stuff."

Heckert said the Browns believe there are four quality quarterbacks in this year's draft class. In addition to Luck and Griffin, Heckert mentioned Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill "untapped" and Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden "super smart" during his 30-minute interview session. Heckert said he's eager to see the 28-year-old Weeden throw at his pro day on Friday.

And while the focus has been on jockeying for position to possibly get Griffin, Heckert said the Browns have not given up on Colt McCoy, who had an inconsistent season as a full-time starter.

"We're not down on Colt McCoy, so I just...
                                -03-08-2012, 03:42 PM
                              • Alec22
                                Report: Browns, Bills in pursuit of 33rd pick
                                by Alec22
                                ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Bills and Browns have contacted the Rams about the No. 33 overall pick.

"Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy in play," Schefter adds. The top remaining offensive linemen -- Charles Brown, Rodger Saffold, and Vlad Ducasse -- could also be "in play" for tackle-needy Buffalo. The Browns would figure to be targeting a passer. Cleveland, in particular, has the ammunition to move up. Mike Holmgren's club may want to move ahead of the Chiefs, slotted at No. 36 and rumored to have Jimmy Clausen high on their draft board. Apr. 23 - 12:22 pm et

________________________________________________________________

Carolina is also said to have interest in Colt McCoy.
                                With Kindle off the board (essentially) i think it would be smart for the rams to drop back some sports in the 2nd, hopefully get a guy like price and pick up another top 120 pick.
                                -04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
                              • #39 Fan
                                Browns will offer most of their picks for Bradford
                                by #39 Fan
                                Posted by Michael David Smith on April 22, 2010 5:51 PM ET
                                Remember guys, we could pick Bradford at #1 and not announce the trade until Cleveland is on the clock.

Things are getting more and more interesting.

If this happened, would you prefer Clausen at #7, and then BPA from there out, or would you go BPA-D at #7 (D Morgan, Berry, Haden, JPP), and try and grab Colt later?...
                                -04-22-2010, 02:55 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                No decision: Browns must trade up for RG3 ..
                                by MauiRam
                                By Jamison Hensley

There's a growing sense that the Cleveland Browns should trade up and draft Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. I'm here to tell you that the Browns must do it.

If they want an offensive playmaker. If they want a face for the franchise. If they eventually want to win a Super Bowl.

There are arguments against Cleveland giving up a handful of valuable picks for the Heisman Trophy winner. For each one, I will give you a convincing rebuttal on why RG3 is the Browns' only option at quarterback, from that golden arm to those priceless Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles socks.

RG3 is more athletic than most NFL quarterbacks and he's faster than most running backs. His wit is extremely quick as well. "I hope somebody falls in love with me, other than my fiancee," he said when asked about the Browns possibly trading up to No. 2 to get him.

Let the Miami Dolphins sign Matt Flynn. Let another team panic and draft Ryan Tannehill in the top 10. Griffin is different than both of those quarterbacks. He's special. He has that "it" factor that turned around the Baylor football program and figures prominently in any NFL reclamation project.

I know Flynn threw for 480 yards and six touchdowns in one game last season and Tannehill is a better fit for the West Coast offense. But RG3 brings charisma, excitement and plenty of crazy socks (yes, even Hello Kitty ones). He'll not only be the face of the franchise. He'll be the mouthpiece, too.

The drafting of RG3 would sell tickets. Actually, I think he would go out and sell tickets himself if you ask him. In yesterday's SportsNation poll, 42 percent of the nearly 8,000 voters think RG3 should be the Browns' starting quarterback in 2012.

The Browns have been irrelevant in the NFL for too long. That's what happens when you lose 97 games in nine seasons. RG3 brings bite back to the Dawg Pound.

"It would be fun to compete with Colt [McCoy]," Griffin said. "I played him one year in college, and he beat us. Maybe I'd have to go out there and beat him. Other than that, it would be an honor to go to Cleveland, to go anywhere. As far as the team goes, they just need that motivation, they need that inspiration. They've got the coaches in place to be successful."

Of course, moving up two spots from No. 4 to draft RG3 comes at a steep price. The St. Louis Rams, who hold the second overall pick, are seeking a deal similar to what the San Diego Chargers got for the rights to 2004 top overall pick Eli Manning, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Manning was selected by the Chargers with the No. 1 overall pick in 2004 and traded to the New York Giants for two first-round picks, a third-round pick and a fifth-round choice.

That's a teeth-gnashing amount of picks to give up for the Browns, who have the fourth and...
                                -02-29-2012, 04:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X