• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More rumblings about Bradford not signing before the draft

Thursday & Long: Bradford Won't Sign Before Draft
    4/15/2010 10:49 AM ET
    By Dan Graziano

Sam Bradford to the Rams with the No. 1 pick in next week's draft has the feel of a foregone conclusion, but it's still not without its potential complications. A source close to the situation told FanHouse on Wednesday that Bradford is "not doing a deal, period, until he is drafted."

That would represent a change in recent trends. The last two No. 1 picks -- Matthew Stafford of the Lions in 2009 and Jake Long of the Dolphins in 2008 -- agreed to contracts before they were selected, as did Mario Williams of the Texans in 2006. The Raiders took JaMarcus Russell at No. 1 in 2007 without signing him beforehand, and that resulted in a complete fiasco in which Russell didn't sign until September.

Now, that's not to say that Bradford, who appears to have both a brain in his head and an idea of how to order a salad, will turn out to be another Russell. But his refusal to sign a pre-draft deal does bring up some issues that indicate the Rams have a thornier issue on their hands than you may think.

The main thing Bradford gains by not signing pre-draft is leverage. If the Rams take him No. 1, they have to sign him. Given the current, miserable state of their franchise, they can't blow the No. 1 pick. There's no way they could face their fans and say, "Sorry, we picked the franchise quarterback we needed, but he was asking for too much, so we didn't sign him." Bradford's agents (the same agents who represented Stafford a year ago) are determined to get him more than Stafford got (six years, $72 million with $41.7 million guaranteed), and they know their chances of getting it from the Rams will increase sharply after the Rams pick Bradford.

None of this is news to the Rams, who have already exchanged figures with Bradford's agents and know what it's going to take to get Bradford signed. But the Rams' financial situation is murky, because the team is in the process of being sold, and so it's hard to say for sure whether they have the money it's going to take to get Stafford. Two sources close to the situation told me they believe the Rams have set aside money for the purpose of signing all of their 2010 draft picks, regardless of how the ownership matter plays out, but since nobody knows who's going to end up owning the team, it's hard to know for sure whether they're equipped to commit to Bradford as much as he's looking for.

So, there remains a slim chance the Rams could pick somebody else, such as Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh or Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy, with the top pick. Either would be a good, safe pick and cost less than what Bradford is asking, but neither would solve the Rams' quarterback problem.

There also remains a slim chance that the Rams could trade out of the No. 1 pick -- that a team such as the Seahawks or Browns, who still have QB needs and who rate Bradford ahead of the rest of this year's QB draft class -- could swing a deal with St. Louis for that No. 1 pick, allowing the Rams to fill another need in the first round, take somebody like Colt McCoy for quarterback in the second and stockpile picks to help rebuild at several positions.

And that possibility speaks to one other reason Bradford may be refusing to do a pre-draft deal -- namely, that he doesn't want to be a Ram. Bradford has denied this publicly, which is what you'd expect him to do, but there are people around him who, as recently as last month, were hoping the Redskins would move up and take Bradford, since they liked the idea of him developing under coach Mike Shanahan.

That doesn't mean, of course, that Bradford has anything against the Rams. It may just mean that he and the people around him really like Shanahan. The Redskins dream evaporated last week when Washington acquired Donovan McNabb from the Eagles, and with Shanahan no longer available as career mentor, St. Louis may be just fine with Bradford. But we do know that it wasn't his first choice, and so it may be that he wants to hang on and see if a better situation presents itself in the form of a more preferable team trading up.

Either way, it looks as if there's still a bit of drama yet to play out around Sam Bradford, the Rams and the No. 1 pick in next week's draft -- even if it looks like a foregone conclusion.
    Take it for what it's worth. Best case scenario, we add another name to the list of those we can chuckle at if Bradford does, in fact, sign prior to the draft. But there are some interesting points in there (ie. leverage, etc).

Re: More rumblings about Bradford not signing before the draft

In my mind it's all speculation. The 2 sides are lining up their ammunition to make the best deal possible for themselves. The ownership situation appears murky to outsiders, but rest assured with the amount of money in play there is a clear path of funding in the Rams Front Office. There are sure to be some disagreements, but at the end of the day saner heads will prevail and putting fannies in seats will be the ultimate goal.

Go Rams with Bradford!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
      None of this is news to the Rams, who have already exchanged figures with Bradford's agents and know what it's going to take to get Bradford signed. But the Rams' financial situation is murky, because the team is in the process of being sold, and so it's hard to say for sure whether they have the money it's going to take to get Stafford.
      Nice editing from a "solid" source..... just sayin
      Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Comment

I wonder when the "Bradford hates the Rams" articles will start coming out. It seems like they throw in Bradford doesn't want to play for Saint Louis every chance they get. What are "People close to Bradford", his cousin Tom? Bradford said without a hint of hesitation basically, "I never said that, who keeps saying this?" But people who want to create a buzz will always say it could have been fibs. Whic it could have been. I don't tihnk it was. Reports from Bradford's visit said he really enjoyed himself and was hanging out and cracking jokes with players from the Rams.

Will he sign before the draft? I'm of the opinion of I don't tihnk so as well. I don't think contract negotiations will spill over into training camp however.

Comment

Didnt stafford sign only 4 or 5 days before the draft.....Stuff happens, not a big deal

Comment

I just don't understand the logic of: since Bradford wants to wait until after he is drafted to sign a contract, that means Bradford does not want to play in St. Louis. I guess I don't see the dots that media people love to connect.

Comment

Most pre-draft deals come only a few days before the draft if not the day before the draft, so I'm not concerned at all. Besides, the longer it takes, the longer we might consider Suh with our first pick. Come on Sam, dig in your heels and want too much money, and let's go Suh, say you'll sign for last year's money!
              I believe!:ram:

Comment

Originally posted by 3STL9 View Post
                Didnt stafford sign only 4 or 5 days before the draft.....Stuff happens, not a big deal
                i thought it was the night before the draft?

i think the rams are holding out as long as they can to see what's going to be offered for this pick and whatnot. they are in no hurry and shouldn't be, the money isn't going to change, it will be ridiculous either way.

Comment

IMO, I think there is a real possibility that Bradford may have preferred Shanahan over us. But I'm not fretting over it. Why?

Think about it.

If we were Bradford, wouldn't we want mastermind Shanahan coaching us up instead of Dick Curl?

But, I think in the end, Bradford is going to be happy if we choose him, and will give us his best efforts.

No worries.

Comment

Originally posted by TekeRam View Post
                    Most pre-draft deals come only a few days before the draft if not the day before the draft, so I'm not concerned at all. Besides, the longer it takes, the longer we might consider Suh with our first pick. Come on Sam, dig in your heels and want too much money, and let's go Suh, say you'll sign for last year's money!
                    Indeed. Any word out of the DT camps about a willingness or unwillingness to sign predraft?

Comment

To me this kind of stuff is why a harder rookie cap should be in place, or even just a standard rookie contract like in the NHL. Also, no re-entry on draft for two years. Draftees should have absolutely no say what-so-ever on the team they go to. That is the purpose of free agency and not signing a deal past your first eligible year. When Eli dictated that he would go to NY, I instantly hated the guy and haven't like him since. You play for who picks you, end of story.

EDIT: Also, I think Bradford will sign, even if it isnt before the draft. The Rams FO has said they aren't going to worry about getting a guy signed just to make sure he's signed. It will get done.

Comment

Originally posted by berg8309 View Post

EDIT: Also, I think Bradford will sign, even if it isnt before the draft. The Rams FO has said they aren't going to worry about getting a guy signed just to make sure he's signed. It will get done.
                        Famous last words.

Have our outstanding RFA tenders signed yet?

Comment

Originally posted by PeoriaRam View Post
                          Famous last words.

Have our outstanding RFA tenders signed yet?
                          Have everyone else's?

Comment

This piece is based on one source and its worth almost nothing.

Comment

All of these writers coming to the conclusion that Bradford doesn't want to be a Ram because he isn't signing a deal is ridiculous...yes obviously he may prefer one team over another but insinuating that he doesn't want to be a Ram...
                              Isn't another (and more plausible) reason for the lack of bradford signing related to how the Rams handled Jason smith last year?

The rams caved early to smiths demands so he wouldn't miss any time, bradfords camp knows that and will use it to leverage a better deal... why don't we hear an article about that?
                              I hate sports writers lol

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Varg6
                                Talk mounts that Bradford won't sign a pre-draft contract
                                by Varg6
                                Talk mounts that Bradford won't sign a pre-draft contract

Posted by Mike Florio on March 29, 2010 7:55 PM ET
                                Amid reports that the Rams are talking to the agents for multiple players who could be the first overall pick in the 2010 draft, there's increasing chatter that, as to one of the players, there may not be much to discuss.

We're hearing from multiple league and media sources that Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford could refuse to sign a pre-draft contract with the Rams.

In the past four drafts, the only top pick not signed in advance of the commencement of the selection process was Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell. He ultimately held out into the regular season.

If Bradford declines to agree to terms before being picked, and if the Rams ultimately don't select him, Bradford would slide to the Redskins at No. 4, at worst. (He also could end up going second or third, if a team that needs a quarterback moves up.) Operating from the four hole, Bradford likely would then attempt to invoke the so-called "quarterback premium" in the hopes of getting more than the first overall pick, just as Matt Ryan did from the third spot two years ago.

If the Rams pick Bradford without a contract in place, the leverage then flips to the player, with the Rams compelled to get the guy signed in the hopes of justifying the pick and turning around a franchise that seems far longer than a decade removed from a Super Bowl win.

We also don't rule out the Rams picking Bradford and then attempting to trade him, like the Chargers did six years ago with Eli Manning.

Either way, Adam Schefter's prediction could end up being wrong -- but not because Bradford won't be regarded as the best player in the draft. The Rams could decide that they won't take Bradford if he makes it clear that he won't sign a contract.
                                -03-29-2010, 06:19 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Bradford Cautious About Upcoming NFL Windfall
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Bradford cautious about upcoming NFL windfall

Submitted by SHNS on Thu, 07/01/2010 - 13:08 By DON MECOY, The Oklahoman

Former Oklahoma football star Sam Bradford is preparing for his first payday, which promises to be a doozy.

Bradford, the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner and top overall pick in this year's NFL draft, is expected to soon sign a deal with the St. Louis Rams that will pay him in the neighborhood of $50 million in guaranteed money. That's a pretty fancy neighborhood for a guy who was in college until just recently.
                                While at Oklahoma, Bradford used a debit card for day-to-day expenses and a parent-funded credit card that was only for emergencies.

"To go from how simple it was in college to how complex it is now is a huge change," Bradford said Tuesday. "Financially, my life has kind of changed drastically here in a couple months."

A finance major, Bradford has an understanding of markets, but is still learning how to deal with a millionaire's personal finances.

Bradford has hired a financial adviser and will use the expertise of his father, Kent, a former Sooners football player and insurance industry expert, to deal with expected investment offers. One NFL veteran told Bradford this week that he is pitched a business opportunity of $100,000 or more about once a week.

"I expect those things will come, but I'm very fortunate that my dad is still a major part of my life and he really handles most of this stuff for me," Bradford said. "If anyone comes, they're going to talk to him. He's going to have to see a business proposal. He's going to have to see a lot of things before we'll even consider making an investment."

Bradford was one of a group of NFL draftees who participated this week in financial training, part of the NFL's annual rookie symposium in Carlsbad, Calif. The sessions, required by the league, are aimed at teaching and developing young players' life skills.

"Before I got here, I really wasn't sure how to handle everything. I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle everything," Bradford said. "That's why I think it is good that we have sessions like this."

Once NFL training camp starts in late July, Bradford expects to have little time to deal with anything other than football.

"For six months of the year, we're playing football. We're at the facility for 12 hours a day. We're on the road half the time for away games," he said. Among the lessons delivered this week was that everyone -- even famous, highly paid athletes -- must pay their bills.

Bradford and the other rookies this week played an online football game that moved the ball down the field as the offensive team correctly answered financial questions.

"I wish I could say we won,...
                                -07-03-2010, 09:23 PM
                              • Nick
                                Wagoner: No need to rush Sam Bradford extension
                                by Nick
                                No need to rush Sam Bradford extension
                                September, 27, 2013
                                By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Reports surfaced Thursday afternoon that the St. Louis Rams are ready and willing to work out a contract extension with quarterback Sam Bradford.

NFL Network’s Mike Silver reported that Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff told him the team views Bradford as the long-term solution at quarterback.

"We have decided that Sam Bradford is our guy. If they came to us and wanted to do a contract extension right now, we'd do it in a minute," Demoff told Silver.

The question that statement begs is ‘Why?’

Bradford is a quarter of the way through his fourth season in the league and every move the Rams made last offseason was clearly with an eye toward building around him, not looking for his replacement.

So it should be no surprise that Demoff, general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher are willing to publicly voice their support for Bradford. In fact, that’s exactly what they should be doing.

It does no harm to back Bradford right now, as he is by far the best option on the team at the position. Creating doubt or a quarterback controversy is the last thing this team needs. It’s good for the team to know that Bradford is the guy, and it’s good for Bradford to know it as well.

But there’s a fine line between offering votes of confidence and taking action that could be potentially damaging to the franchise long term. In a fit of bad timing, Bradford had one of his worst outings of the season only a few hours after the report surfaced.

In fairness, it’s wise not to look at this through the vacuum of that one game. Bradford has had his good moments this season, too, namely leading a comeback win against Arizona in the first week.

By and large, though, Bradford doesn’t have the body of work that should earn a rubber stamp (not to mention the many millions of dollars) that a contract extension would provide.

At this point in his career, Bradford has a career quarterback rating of 77.8, a pedestrian number at best, and has yet to guide the Rams to a winning record or playoff appearance. It’s only been four games this season, but so far the efforts to bolster his supporting cast haven’t paid dividends.

If nothing else, signing Bradford to an extension anytime soon would be premature. His contract doesn’t expire until after the 2015 season. He’s due $27 million over the next two seasons, leaving plenty of time to determine if he can be the type of quarterback that should get a big-money second contract.

By now you may be wondering why, if the Rams are willing to get a deal done, Bradford hasn’t jumped at the chance. NFL Network’s report indicates Bradford is the one who isn’t in a rush to get something done.

It appears Bradford doesn’t believe he has compiled...
                                -09-27-2013, 04:53 PM
                              • VegasRam
                                Suddely Bradford doesn't look so expensive.
                                by VegasRam
                                And he is, (and will be even more so) worth it. Romo is GUARANTEED roughly $10M a year.

When you look at the Super high paid QB - Brees, Manning, Brady, Romo, Flacco, Rothlesberger, Bradford makes roughly half of their salaries, let's say $10M, and plays half as well. (Don't pick on my numbers - they're for rough comparison numbers only).

But it's not like we're paying Flynn or Kolb or Palmer or Cassell $10m a year not to play.
                                And just about the time the Rams are extending Bradford - I hope during or at the end of this year, (assuming obviously it's warranted) - for a 10 year average of say $12-14M a year, SF and Seattle will be giving Kap and Wilson 6 year $80M guaranteed contracts.

Bradford suffers from cashing in undeservedly in a faulty system, without performing in line with his salary, and while not his fault, it still leaves a justfiably bad taste in everyone's mouth. The killer for the Rams is they got hit three years in a row, which they are still recovering from.

Bottom line, there will come a day soon when Bradford will be considered a bargain.
                                -04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
                              • MauiRam
                                Bradford works out for Rams ..
                                by MauiRam
                                BY JIM THOMAS [email protected]
                                04/17/2010

NORMAN, OKLA. — Finally, it's a wrap for Sam Bradford. What has been a long, grueling pre-draft process is over for the Oklahoma quarterback. He made his last throw as a non-NFL player early Friday afternoon at his private workout for the Rams, then had lunch with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and quarterbacks coach Dick Curl.

Now, there's nothing left to do but hear his name called first Thursday in the NFL draft.

"This is it," Bradford said at the end of his workout at the University of Oklahoma's indoor training facility.

Bradford said he'll hang out in Norman most of this weekend, checking out the Sooners' spring football game today. Then it's off to New York for pre-draft interviews and marketing appearances leading up to Thursday.

"Mentally it's kind of been a roller coaster, and it's been a bit wearing," Bradford said. "There's been a lot of different stages I've gone through. When it first happened with the injury, it was just the whole uncertainty of if I'm ever going to be able to throw again."

Then came shoulder surgery, months of rehab and the gradual process of building up arm strength.

"And then it's like how long is it going to take till I get back to my old self?" Bradford said. "After that happens, it's, 'OK, now when are people going to believe that?' And once they believe it, or see it, what are they going to think? Am I going to get back to the (draft) status I once was? Or am I going to drop?"

Bradford has proven everything he needed to prove about his throwing arm. Some observers, venerable draft guru Gil Brandt among them, feel Bradford has come back from surgery with even greater arm strength. Bradford himself thinks that might be the case, partly because of the extra weight he's added — he's carrying 236 pounds — and partly because of the extra strength he's gained through extensive weight training since the surgery.

To summarize. ...

"I feel like I'm back," Bradford said. "And now, it's gonna happen how it needs to happen. It's out of my hands at this point."

There seems to be little doubt that Bradford will be taken first in the draft — if not by the Rams, then by somebody trading up for him. He has spent a lot of time with the Rams lately, from OU's pro day on March 29, to a Rams Park visit earlier this week, to Friday's private workout.

Asked about the possibility of playing in St. Louis, Bradford said: "I think it'd be a great opportunity. I don't want to get ahead of myself. I try not to picture things just because sometimes if you have your mind set to go somewhere, play somewhere, and then it doesn't happen, you've got to regroup in a pretty short amount of time.

"So, I'm not really...
                                -04-17-2010, 01:54 PM
                              Working...
                              X