Immediate Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immediate Impact

I think all on this forum would agree that many on the Rams draft picks this year could have and immediate impact and get some serious playing time right away.
    After reviewing last years Draft the 4 pro bowl 1st round picks were 3 LBs & Percy Harvin. After reading up on Harvin's combine it very closely mirrors Golden Tate's.Very similar height/weight, 40 time, both have experience catching and running with the football.
    It seems the main differences favor Tate. He comes from a Pro style offense & scored about double on the wonderlic. Correct me if
    I am wrong but it seems Tate has less of a supporting cast to draw the opposing defense's attention away too.
    The only reason harvin went late in the first was due to character issues. I wonder if his abilities are EXTREMELY underrated right now. If he is available at #33 the Rams would be foolish to pass on him or trade down!

Re: Immediate Impact

Look at them on the field Harvin is another Monster. People were talking about Percy when he was still in high-school. Tate will be goo, but not like Harvin I'm afraid.

All the experts say that we won't be using our 33rd pick and I believe them.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• LARAM
      Discussion about trading down out of both 1st round picks.
      by LARAM
      Just starting some discussion. I'm not saying we should trade one or both picks away. There's alot of stuff to still be played out. But I am kind of looking at these points.

1. Lets be honest, most thought we would have two picks in the top 10 for the 2013 NFL Draft. Would we really be getting a good value with what is thought to be available at this point. As of now what are we looking at, two picks between 15 to 32.

2. The next class of players to be drafted, is there really anyone that you could see setting the world on fire and being an instant game changer between 15 and 32 spots.

3. I completely trust this staff with making good decisions and picking the right players in rounds 1 for both our picks, so I'll be happy with our picks regardless. But I also trust their decisions in picking solid quality players in the later rounds.

4. It seems to me there could possibly be some teams wanting to trade up with the Rams since we have two picks and could be flexible. I got a feeling Washington is gonna be pretty good next year, so what do we have to look forward too with next years draft, (another pick in the high twenties????). What do some of your think?

5. What would be some fair trade options in scenarios with next years draft. Meaning for example. Trade away one of our 1's this year for any willing teams next years #1. but possibly picking up an extra 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th or multiple picks combined for 2013 and 2014.

Seems like two years ago there were a couple of teams that made a couple of mid round trades, and I slightly remember a couple of teams getting 3 or 4 picks in later years. I mean look at New England, they work that draft board like no other. For a team that always picks in the high 20's they seem to be doing pretty good for themselves. Do any of you see Jeff Fisher and Co. using the New England strategy. I mean we did it last year and scored pretty good, Why not try this again? What do you all think ? Thoughts.....

I just feel like we should use the RGIII trade to our advantage, and I"m not sure forcing mid to late 1st round players onto our roster this year is gonna solve anything. I'm just not seeing this years draft class as very talented after the top 10 are gone.
      -12-29-2012, 12:25 AM
    • Barry Waller
      My Life as a Draftnik, and What I Now Know To Be True.
      by Barry Waller
      I should explain where I am coming from with some of my belief system when it comes to the NFL Draft.
      If they gave college credits for hours spent learning about this thing Howard Cosell called a non-event, and the time spent with H Balzer talking salary cap, and Rick vVnturi talking about coaching,player development, and system fit, I'd be a P.H.D.

I haven't just been a fan of the draft, and even I think I am somehow damaged to do what I have done since 1970, before Kiper, before ESPN. It was me an Joel Buchsbaum, who was unable to do anything else in life, God rest his soul, so much that he started what has become a multi-billion dollar industry.

I have every one of Joel's books from the late mid seventies until his death.

When Buchsbaum was discovered in St louis by legendary Cardinals broadcaster Bill WIlkerson, on his KMOX sportsline show, the first of it's kind, He couldn't even pronounce Joel's name right, saying the "ch" sound like in "bush", rather than the correct hard "ch", as in "book".

Buchsbaum never corrected WIlkerson once in all those years, shows I lived to listen to, to hear Joel speak about "Mirror and slide", and "knee bender" etc.

I have not worked on one draft day since it has been on TV. I trake vacation days, till i was self employed, then I spent the last 17 drafts at Rams Park, really getting some insight, especially from the pre-draft luncheon Vermeil and Martz would do.

It was informal, and you could eat lunch talking football with Jim Hanifan or Bill Kollar, two of the greatest position coaches and characters ever. You mention DOn Coryell or George Allen to Hanny, and you get a half hour of rolling on the floor stories.

Even with all the stuff going on around me at Rams Park, I could not help doing what I did at home, tracking the draft, writing down picks, and being bummed I had to stop when a Rams pick was on the phone for a group Q &A.

They do that after every pick, and I must say, it can be quite telling, when you hear the guy talk football and life for the first time.

You hear a guy like Trung Canidate, Jacoby Sheppard, or Alex Barron for the first time, and you start thinking "Well it IS mostly about physical ability", and then see how that initial impr ession had validity.

That's one thing I miss, to hear all the top plares talk, t hough the NFL Network makes it all easy now, as does ESPN, Pro Football Talk etc et c.

When I started there was nearly no info on play er s, other t han the All-America team, and you had no undergrads in the draft.

It was work, but now it's easy, and that's why it's exploded like it has.

From guys like Vermeil, my favorite person I met in football, Armey, and now Fisher and Snead, I am now quite sure about...
      -03-06-2014, 09:39 AM
    • Nick
      NFP Sunday Blitz: Post-Draft Edition
      by Nick
      NFP Sunday Blitz
      What just happened in the draft? We've got you covered, including an inside look at the Chargers drafting of Te'o.
      Dan Pompei
      April 28, 2013, 05:30 AM EST

Second round picks aren’t supposed to be the stars of the draft. But no player generated more buzz over the three day draft than Manti Te’o.

His profile was so high, in fact, that the Chargers felt they had to trade up seven spots to the sixth spot in the second round in order to secure him. They gave up a fourth round pick to do the deal. But he was well worth it in the mind of new general manager Tom Telesco because he valued Te’o as a first round pick.

“When he didn’t go off in the first round, I came in Friday morning and started making some calls to people in front of us to see if anyone was willing to move down,” Telesco told me. “Just by looking at that second round, I didn’t know if there were many teams in front of us who would take him. I was more concerned about teams behind us that may have come up to get him. Especially because he was more high profile. We were able to get up and get him and I’m really happy about it.”

Telesco’s knew more about Te’o than most GMs, and he subsequently felt more comfortable with him. He was hired by the Chargers three months ago. Previously, he worked as the personnel director for the Colts, where his office was about a two hour drive to Notre Dame. He watched Te’o play a game in person every year of his college career, and maybe saw six college games of his live.

What’s more, he went to college and played football with the Notre Dame assistant who knew him as well as anyone. Telesco and former Irish special teams coach Brian Polian, son of Bill, were teammates at John Carroll University. They even knew each other when they were in high school.

“We get to spend some time with these kids, but the college coaches are with them every day,” Telesco said. “The coaches who recruited them knew them in high school. They know the families well. If you have people you trust and you know they are giving you the real thing, you feel a lot more comfortable. Brian was the point guy in recruiting him. He was making trips every other week to Hawaii in the recruiting process. When they have been around the kid for a number of years, they have a feel for the kid. There was no smoke out there at all. We knew he loved football.”

So the Chargers had no misgivings about Te’o’s girlfriend who never was. “You do your research on it,” Telesco said. “All I can come up with is he got duped by somebody. It happens. He handled it really well in the aftermath, which is key. We did our research. We’re fine with it.”

They also were not scared off by the 4.81 40 yard dash he ran at the combine. “I never thought he was a 4.55, 4.60 linebacker,” Telesco said. “I wasn’t expecting him to run fast. I think his pro day time (4.71) was more reflective...
      -04-28-2013, 06:33 AM
    • Goldenfleece
      The ComBUSTibles: One Wild Receiver Class
      by Goldenfleece
      There are so many receivers in this draft who have first round talent, and yet it seems like we're seeing a string of self-detonations as they find new ways to lower their own draft prospects.

Malcolm Kelly might have been considered the top talent in this draft if not for his injuries. Then he ran poorly, and instead of owning up to it, sniped at his conditioning coach because of a last minute change of venue at the scouts' request. Now he is adding character concerns to the already troubling speed and injury concerns.

DeSean Jackson is another player who should have figured at or near the top of the class despite his puny 169-pound frame. He has raised some concerns with his me-first attitude, and then we found out he had served a drug suspension. Granted it was only marijuana, but he has probably done enough to make his draft position wobble if not fall.

James Hardy's domestic abuse charge, though dating back to 2006, is still troubling and a completely avoidable hit to his image and draft status.

Mario Manningham had a black mark in his past. We all knew he had been suspended for breaking a team rule at one point, but then he had to increase the damage by lying about. He sent a letter of apology out to the teams, much like Claude Wroten did a couple years ago. In Wroten's case, supposedly a first round talent "only" fell to the third round. It remains to be seen how bad this is going to be for a sensation like Manningham, who turned one in five catches into a touchdown.

Limas Sweed's stock, too, may be in peril because of concerns about his wrist, though thankfully he wasn't responsible for that damage, unlike so many of these guys.

The biggest beneficiaries of all this should be Devin Thomas and Early Doucet. Thomas, a junior college transfer with only one big year to his name, may now be considered the top receiver in the draft. Early Doucet is more likely to go in the late first or early second round but looks positively sterling in comparison to the other comparable talents. Teams may be more willing to overlook the 4.55 forty (not so good for a guy who was a deep threat in college).

I'm actually warming up to the idea of Early Doucet as our second round pick. According to the Sporting News, he caught 96.7% of the balls thrown his way in games their scouts graded. If true, that's pretty impressive. He's tough enough to go over the middle, and he has the right combination of vision, quickness, and strength to pick up yards after the catch whether by breaking or avoiding tackles. He has good size and good strength. He supposedly plays faster than he was timed at the Combine and Pro Day, which seems to beg the question as to whether he's all the way healed up. In a number of places, I've seen comments that even when Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis were on the field, Early still sometimes looked like the best player on the field. He...
      -04-13-2008, 01:04 PM
    • ramhard
      Kirwan's bottom 16
      by ramhard
      Here is Kirwan's nfl.com bottom 16, of interest is his comment on Matt Jones at the end, and the OT's. He is not very high on either tackle. On Jones, this is why I said there is no way this guy is around in round 4, and I doubt he'll make it out of round 2. People have used Antwan Randal-El as a comparison saying that A-R had more experience as a receiver so was more of a sure thing. I say A-R was no where near as fast or as big, and ran only around 4.55/4.6 if I remember. Jones is a MUCH more imposing physical specimen. It is not his inexperience that scares teams, it is whether he has the zest to play a non-QB position (remember our buddy from Nebraska Crouch), and loves playing football. Despite also being a point guard for a year at Indiana there was not doubt A-R loved playing football. Article follows:

Pat Kirwan By Pat Kirwan
      NFL.com Senior Analyst

* The top half of the first round

(March 29, 2005) -- Last week, I put together my 'Sweet 16' or the top half of the first round. And as I sat down today with all my information -- combine results, Pro Day results, bowl games -- and lots of conversations with coaches and scouts, what rings true is that from the middle of the first round straight through to the bottom of the second round, there appears to be a lot of athletes with very similar grades. What a good year it's appearing to be for those teams that have multiple draft selections between slots 25 and 95. I know one team that is going to come out of this draft with at least three of my top 50 players.
      NFL Network
      It seems like the absolute right time for a team like the Philadelphia Eagles to have five picks in the top 94 and 13 overall selections in the draft. Last year, the Eagles sent QB A.J. Feeley to Miami for this year's 35th pick; OG John Welbourn to Kansas City for the 77th pick; WR James Thrash to Washington for the 146th selection; and finally, four compensatory picks for the loss of Marco Coleman, Carlos Emmons, Duce Staley, Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, and Bobbie Williams to free agency. They can't trade selections 172, 211, 247, or 252 because those are the compensatory picks. But they can bundle up the other nine picks any way they want and in this draft they are capable of moving down as well as moving up and collect extra picks for next year.

It's going to be tough on NFC opponents to watch the Eagles move freely up and down in the draft with all that firepower they have. Or they can just sit there and make their selections at 31, 35, 63, 77 and 94 before Saturday's drafting is done. Philadelphia's selections will cost much less than the picks in the 'Sweet 16'. And from the looks of things, if they stay with those choices, they might be just as good.

Here's a look at the 16 players that I think will close out the first round and a quick glimpse at the men that should start off the second round.
      -03-29-2005, 10:01 AM
    Working...
    X