Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real reason Rams drafted Hoomanawanui was to double fan base :>)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real reason Rams drafted Hoomanawanui was to double fan base :>)

New Rams tight end grew up in Bloomington

BY KATHLEEN NELSON
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

04/25/2010

It only sounds as if the Rams searched hither and yon to find one of their fifth-round picks, tight end Michael Hoomanawanui. In reality, he was right in their own backyard.

That last name is pronounced ho-oh-muh-now-uh-NEW-ee, "Oh-oh" for short. Though his father, Isy, is of Hawaiian descent, the family of his mother, Anne, hails from Jerseyville, Ill. He grew up in Bloomington, Ill., 45 minutes from his alma mater, Illinois.

"Family and friends say they're Rams fans now, no matter what they were before," Hoomanawanui said. "It will be great that my family can see me whenever they want to."
    Hoomanawanui, 6-4 and 264 pounds, started his senior season on the watch list for the Mackey Award, given to the best tight end, but missed four games last year because of an ankle injury. He finished with just 10 receptions for 114 yards.

"It was a bump in the road," he said "It pulled me down a lot, but I was glad I was able to come back and (play) the last two games, go to the Senior Bowl and show everyone that I'm healed from that and that I can keep moving on."

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said tight ends coach Frank Leonard called Hoomanawanui "well-rounded. It seems that tight ends get tagged nowadays as either pass receiving tight ends or the blocking tight end. ... We didn't tag him one way or the other, and he's got size."

The first area player taken Saturday was Clay Harbor of Missouri State, 125th overall, by Philadelphia late in the fourth round. How the Eagles will use him remains a mystery.

A tight end with the Bears, Harbor is Missouri State's career leader in pass receptions, with 150. He impressed scouts with three receptions for 22 yards as a last-minute replacement in the East-West Shrine Game and with his workouts before the Texas vs. the Nation All-Star Game. He appeared at the combine as a tight end, yet was listed as a fullback when the Eagles drafted him.

"I can play fullback, slot, halfback, and I plan on doing that. Whatever the coaches want me to do, I'll do it," he told reporters in Philadelphia.

Eagles coach Andy Reid likewise praised Harbor's versatility.

"I'm not saying he's an offensive lineman, but he can control a defensive end or linebacker and is willing to stick his nose in there," Reid said in his post draft press conference. "When you see him run his routes, you see he's a skilled athlete."

Most draft experts expected Harbor to go off the board in the third or fourth round, which stretched his anxiety over two days.

"I was getting a little worried as they got deeper in the third and fourth round, but it was a great feeling when my phone rang," Harbor said.

The Jacksonville Jaguars took a chance on Harbor's Missouri Valley Football Conference rival, Southern Illinois running back Deji Karim, with the 11th pick of the sixth round. A finalist for the Walter Payton award, given to the top player in the Football Championship Subdivision, Karim finished last season with 1,694 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns.

Karim was not invited to the combine but outjumped every running back in Indianapolis by two inches with a vertical leap of 43 inches at his pro day. At 5-9 and 209 pounds, Karim bears an eerie resemblance in stature to the Jags' starting running back, Maurice Jones-Drew.

Jaguars GM Gene Smith praised Karim's "explosive playmaking speed," and said he would use him as a specialty halfback and kick returner. A high school teammate of Rams QB Sam Bradford, Karim averaged 30.9 yards per return last year.

Reporters in Jacksonville noted that Karim was overcome with emotion on a conference call, saying, "It's been my dream since I was a little kid. This is a stepping stone to what I want to get accomplished."

Kyle Calloway, a 6-6, 323-pound offensive tackle from Belleville East and Iowa, went to the Buffalo Bills in the seventh round, 216th overall.

Re: Real reason Rams drafted Hoomanawanui was to double fan base :>)

Originally posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    "Family and friends say they're Rams fans now, no matter what they were before," Hoomanawanui said. "It will be great that my family can see me whenever they want to."
    His family will not only be able to see him when they want but they should be able to choose any seat they like. If they don't get the one they like they normally open up by half time. I hope he has a large family and several friends from growing up in Illinois and going to college there. Lets say he has 20 loyal family and friends that could boost Ram fan attendance by 50% if they wind up with another 1 win season.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
      Husky Football Camp: Toledo Making Most Of Switch
      by DJRamFan
      Former starting tight end now playing left tackle.

Aug. 21, 2005

SEATTLE - Every year on a college football team, several players changes positions. Whether it's as subtle as moving from free safety to strong safety, or more broad, like switching from quarterback to receiver, coaches frequently ask players to make a move that will hopefully help out the individual as well as the team.

This season, perhaps the most visible position change on the Husky roster is that of senior Joe Toledo, who has moved from tight end to left tackle. It's not that big of a change in some ways, but for a senior who could possibly be counted on to start at such a crucial position, it's a major difference.

When Toledo reported as a freshman tight end back in 2001, he was listed at 6-foot-5 and 287 pounds, giant for a tight end, especially one so young. Even then, there were whispers that he might be moved to the offensive line.

"Back then, I had been getting recruited by a lot of schools as an offensive lineman," Toledo recalls, "but I wasn't ready to drop the receiver gloves yet. I played wide receiver in high school so that was always a part of the game for me."

So, Toledo remained at tight end, starting five times as a redshirt freshman in 2003, missing most of 2004 due to injury and then starting nine of 11 last year. However, even before the end of last season, there was talk that the seemingly inevitable move to tackle was on its way.

"Before the previous coaching staff left, they told me that tackle might be a better position for me," says Toledo, "because of my size and because nowadays tight ends are a little bit faster. They don't block quite as much. Then, Coach Willingham came in, sat me down and told me it was up to me if I wanted to make a change. I figured if it would help the team, I might as well do it.

"When spring rolled around and I started out with it. At first it was a little bit awkward, but with more and more practice, I think I'm getting it down," he continues. "Hopefully, as fall camp continues, I'll get it down to where it's second nature."

Aside from the benefit to the team, there are plenty of observers who would tell you that with his athleticism, quickness and speed (not to mention size), Toledo may have improved his prospects for making it in the pro football ranks.

"That's what everybody's been telling me," Toledo admits, "but for right now, as an offensive line, we just want to pave the way to us having a winning season and get Husky football back where it needs to be."

Toledo says he's sought advice from all over, including the Huskies' starter at left tackle the previous four seasons, Khalif Barnes (now with the Jacksonville Jaguars), as well as current...
      -08-22-2005, 01:37 PM
    • MauiRam
      Bajema no longer just a blocking tight end ..
      by MauiRam
      Bajema no longer just a blocking tight end

BY BILL COATS • Friday, December 3, 2010 12:25 am

Sam Bradford was incredulous. "That blows my mind," he said. "I didn't know that until you said that right now, but to hear that ... it blows my mind."

The Rams' rookie quarterback had just been informed that for two years in San Francisco, tight end Billy Bajema didn't catch a single pass. "The things he's able to do for this offense," Bradford continued, "the way he catches the ball — he's got great hands — it's hard to believe he went two full seasons without a catch."

That was 2006 and 2007, when the ***** had three pass-catching tight ends in Eric Johnson, Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker. Those three combined for 177 receptions over those two seasons, with Bajema, a seventh-round draft pick in 2005 who had five catches his rookie year, relegated to a less-flashy assignment.

"For a period of time, that was pretty much just to be a blocker. So that's what I had to do," he said. "I always felt like I wanted to do more, and I was never satisfied with the role of being exclusively a blocker. That part of it was frustrating.

"But always, I hoped for an opportunity to do more."

That opportunity has arrived for the 6-foot-4, 259-pound Bajema, 28.

Already this season, he nearly has matched his career total for catches. He had just seven in four years with the ***** before joining the Rams as a free agent in 2009. He added eight last year and has 11 this season for a career-high 106 yards.

Before joining the Rams, Bajema never recorded more than one reception in a game. He had two last year at Detroit and this season has hauled in three passes three times.

That includes last Sunday's game at Denver, when Bajema caught a touchdown pass for the first time in the NFL. In fact, he caught two — a 2-yarder and a 26-yarder over his shoulder — in a span of 2 minutes, 52 seconds in the second quarter of the Rams' 36-33 victory.

"That was a heck of a catch he made on his second one," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "It was nice to see him get that."

QB becomes TIGHT END

A raw-boned yet agile athlete, Bajema played football, baseball and basketball at Westmoore High in Oklahoma City. He was a 230-pound quarterback who piqued the interest of a couple of schools that wanted him to continue in that position.

"But most colleges just saw a big guy who was a good athlete and wanted me to play either defensive end or tight end or linebacker," Bajema said. "I ended up committing to Oklahoma State and saw their tight end situation, and it looked like a position (where) I could get on the field sooner than probably the other positions I could have chosen.

"So...
      -12-03-2010, 11:39 AM
    • ramfan247
      Fells' stock rises at tight end for Rams
      by ramfan247
      Fells' stock rises at tight end for Rams

By BILL COATS
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

05/31/2009

The subject was tight end Randy McMichael and his return to the Rams after missing most of last season with an injury. Unprompted, quarterback Marc Bulger added this:

"Daniel Fells is also playing lights out. I think we'll have a couple tight ends that can do some things."

Apprised of that assessment, Fells smiled broadly and said, "That's good to hear. When your quarterback gives you a shout out, it's always a good feeling."

A year ago, Bulger probably never had heard of Fells, who had bounced around the NFL for a couple of years. Undrafted out of California-Davis, Fells was inactive for all 16 games with Atlanta in 2006, then spent 2007 on Oakland's practice squad.

He made Tampa Bay's practice squad last summer, and the Rams signed him to their 53-man roster Oct. 6, shortly after McMichael suffered a season-ending leg injury.

Fells, 25, suited up for a regular-season game for the first time Oct. 12 at Washington. He made his first reception — for a 26-yard gain — Nov. 23 vs. Chicago, and finished the season with seven catches for 81 yards.

But it was the sticky hands that Fells showed during the weeks of practice that really got him noticed. He's continued to impress during the Rams' first offseason program under coach Steve Spagnuolo.

"He's very athletic, been making a lot of plays," Spagnuolo said after practice Friday. "We don't know the blocking part yet, because we don't have the pads on. But I'm very pleased."

And open-minded about giving players a chance to show off their skills, Spagnuolo stressed. "There's a lot of guys out here like that, and they're all going to get it," he said. "This is the land of opportunity right now."

The 6-foot-4, 270-pound Fells — nicknamed "Big Smooth" by his teammates — has moved past Joe Klopfenstein, the team's second-round draft choice in 2006, into the No. 2 spot behind McMichael. If Fells can stick there, he figures to get plenty of balls thrown his way in the West Coast-style offense that coordinator Pat Shurmur is installing.

"In the passing game we're trying to put in, the quarterback distributes the ball to a lot of people, (including) the backs and the tight ends," Spagnuolo said. "People think that the pass game is just wide receivers. In this league nowadays, you've got to defend everybody."

Sets featuring two tight ends are common, which means that McMichael and Fells could be on the field together a lot.

"The West Coast system is very, very versatile for the tight end," Fells said. "They have the tight ends moving around a lot, got us in the backfield a little
      -05-30-2009, 10:30 PM
    • MauiRam
      Tight end Temarrick Hemingway hoping to grow into a role with the Rams
      by MauiRam
      By JACK WANG / STAFF WRITER

Temarrick Hemingway is staring into the camera. In the picture, his face is almost expressionless – no smile, no frown. A black jacket hugs his narrow shoulders, covering a slightly askew white-collared shirt.

No more than 180 pounds, he looks very much a teenager.

“He doesn’t look like that anymore,” said Nygel Pearson, laughing.

Pearson coaches fullbacks and tight ends at South Carolina State, which means he got a close look at how Hemingway – now 6-foot-5, 245 pounds – went from a lanky receiver into an NFL-worthy target.

Chosen in the sixth round by the Los Angeles Rams, Hemingway became the 56th player drafted out of the school in Orangeburg, S.C. Along with defensive lineman Javon Hargrave, a third-round pick, the tight end’s selection marked the first time two Bulldogs were taken in the same draft in nearly two decades.

Now, with the Rams starting organized team activities Tuesday, the rookie has a chance to carve out his spot on an unsettled depth chart. Following the departure of Jared Cook, the only pass-catching tight end on the roster with any NFL experience is sixth-year veteran Lance Kendricks, who pulled in 245 yards and a pair of touchdowns last season. The franchise also used a fourth-round pick on Western Kentucky’s Tyler Higbee, who pleaded not guilty to second-degree assault and is due in court again June 17.

Hemingway should have a chance to make an impact. Born in Loris, S.C., a town of fewer than 2,400, the 22-year-old arrived at South Carolina State needing to add weight. A new diet and conditioning program paid off quickly; by the end of his redshirt year, he hovered around 210 pounds.

“I gained more than the freshman 30, whatever you want to call it,” Hemingway said.

Still, it took time for the idea of an NFL career to take hold. South Carolina State, after all, was not a prime destination for talent evaluators. The FCS program sits roughly an hour south of Columbia, S.C., and has produced only one first-round draft pick: defensive end Robert Porcher, who made three Pro Bowls with the Detroit Lions. From 2002-09, not a single Bulldog heard his name called.

But after recording 638 yards and four touchdowns through his first three seasons, the dream started to feel real. Heading into his senior year, he started noticing more and more scouts in Orangeburg.

“That’s when I knew I had to get serious about what I wanted to do,” he said.

The work didn’t stop with the end of South Carolina State’s season. In early January, Hemingway arrived at St. Vincent Sports Performance in Indianapolis, throwing himself into a pre-draft training regimen that lasted seven weeks. Almost every day, he would wake up at 7 a.m., hit 150-minute workout sessions in both the morning and afternoon, then close the day with position work and film study. ...
      -06-01-2016, 10:32 AM
    • Nick
      Rams have high hopes for 'Uh-Oh'
      by Nick
      Rams have high hopes for 'Uh-Oh'
      Hoomanawanui may have shot to become starter at tight end
      BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat
      Saturday, Jul. 31, 2010

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams rookie tight end Michael Hoomanawanui attributes his soft hands to some tough pass-catching drills with his father.

"I remember in my younger days when me and my dad would play catch in the backyard, he would beam it at me," Hoomanawanui said. "When I was younger, I would cry. I would tell him to slow down. I guess it paid off in the long run."

Hoomanawanui's father, Isy, was a former linebacker at Illinois State. So not all of those rocket throws hit off the younger Hoomanawanui's hands.

"The chest, face, you name it," Hoomanawanui said. "Being 5 years old trying to catch a fastball isn't that easy. Like I said, I guess it paid off."

The 6-foot-4, 264-pound Hoomanawanui (pronounced Ho-of-muh-now-wa-new-e) was a fifth-round pick in the 2010 NFL draft out of the University of Illinois. He went by the nickname "Uh-oh" in college.

Hoomanawanui's receiving skills caught the attention of Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo on the first day of training camp.

"I was watching (film) last night, and he's a very natural catcher, I think," Spagnuolo said. "He has done a lot of that at Illinois, and obviously he was very successful at it. That sticks right out, but there is a lot going in to playing tight end in the NFL, so he has a lot to learn. He's an eager guy."

The Rams are counting on having both Hoomanawanui and rookie Fendi Onobun, a sixth-round pick in the 2010 NFL draft, contribute this season.

"We're very hopeful with those two guys, Mike and Fendi," Spagnuolo said. "They flashed. They do some good things. Like every rookie, they made some mistakes, but up to this point, (tight ends coach) Frank (Leonard), offensive coordinator Pat (Shurmur) and myself have a little bit of excitement about those two guys. We'll see where they go from here."

Hoomanawanui said he realizes that the competition for the starting job at tight end is wide open. The other candidates are Daniel Fells and Billy Bajema, who both saw playing time last season for the Rams, and Darcy Johnson, who played in 13 games last season for the New York Giants.

"Coach let's us know that every day," Hoomanawanui said. "It definitely is in the back of our minds. You just have to worry about yourself and do what you're supposed to do and everything will fall into place."

Hoomanawanui caught 40 passes for 490 yards and four touchdowns over his final three seasons with the Illini.

He was known for his blocking in the running game, and he was looking forward to the Rams putting on full pads.

"Football is a game played with...
      -07-31-2010, 06:44 AM
    Working...
    X