RichTree's Rams Free Agent and Draft Outlook --- 1/11/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichTree's Rams Free Agent and Draft Outlook --- 1/11/11

The Rams must attack this off-season. There are a couple of points I would look to see addressed and there are some priorities that need to be in order. It is easier to list them, and get the opinions of the forum to spark conversation. These are my first thoughts and I figure by posting them some people can change my mind (or reinforce them):

1. Get a TE in free agency. This is a weak Tight End Draft and Fells isn't good enough to play as a dual threat (block,catch) TE in our offense. Go after O.Daniels, M.Lewis, Z.Miller, K.Boss and let Micheal Hooman prove he can stay healthy.

2. Sign a Guard in Free-Agency. We took Saffold in Round 2 and hit gold. This year we cannot waste another top 4 round draft pick on the OL. We need to find a guy in FA to play with Brown, Smith, Saffold.

3. Draft athletes. We play in a dome and have a very slow team. Without Avery on the field we must have one of the slowest offenses on the field. Our defense lacks athletes that hit hard and play physical. We are weak up the middle except for JL.

4. Attack free agency early and with $$$$. Last year ownership was in question and Bradford's contract was coming. After a good season we need to strike quickly so that other free-agents will know we are serious.

5. Draft better rounds 3-6. Rams seem to not draft as strong late in the draft. Everyone here wanted Mike Williams and Aaron Herdandez not to mention Jacoby Ford was there as well BUT we take a head case in Mardy Gilyard. When talent falls you must be ready to pounce or trade up.

6. Our main priories are (in any order): WR, RB#2, G, OLB, SS, DL, KR/PR, athletes everywhere.

7. Sign Clayton...Sjax wants Houshmanzadeh -- just say no there.

8. P.Shumur -- Replace him quickly or if he stays he should publicly (thru Spags) say that he wants to open the offense up with Bradford's arm.

9. Signing a free agent WR allows us to go Defense in round 1. I know no one wants to hear that but if we sign a legit WR in free agency we can go : DE or OLB round 1 and WR round 2

10 . O. Atogwe -- what to do ? Our defense played to the max with minimal talent. We have 4 legit players on defense, that leaves 7 spots with room to improve. Our defense carried our team all season.

That's a quick into, I was bored and wanted to type something to start some talk.

Comments?

Re: RichTree's Rams Free Agent and Draft Outlook --- 1/11/11

Oh, and one thing I forgot to add is this:

It is not a requirement we take a WR in Round 1 of the draft. There are good WR's that may fall to Round 2 and many free agents that can be had for a price.

Too many people feel it is mandatory to take a WR in Round 1. We aren't getting AJ Green so I think our odds are less than 50% that we go WR at this time..

Comment

1. Hard to argue that Fells isn't the dual threat. The Rams might also look to the draft for this, it is easy for us to say "Don't rely on oh oh" but they still might. Also, we have a lot of holes, and if he can be the solution, then there is no reason to use up money to bring in someone.

2. No arguement. Would love Mankins, but he will probably be expensive

3. Yes and no. Why the no part you ask? Al Davis drafts athletes. He love love LOVES athletes. He just doesn't care if they can play football. At the end of the day, I don't care if you run a 3.2 40 with 97 reps and a 145 inch vertical if you can't catch the ball, block, or tackle to save your life. Fundamentals first, athletes second. Remember, Ty Hill was an excellent athlete, and a terrible football player.

4. I will continue to raise my concerns over budgets in the coming years and the ability to re-sign our key players. Free agents, generally, cost more than their actual production. A product of the competitive bidding system. I wouldn't "attack" the free agent market to show we are serious. If that is what you are doing, you aren't showing players you are committed to a competitive team, you show you are committed to spending big dollars on them, which they like, but doesn't always work well to make a good team. Identify a few key free agents and go for them immediately, for others allow the market to develop. You don't want to overpay a guy, eat up budget and cap space and then say "Gosh, we paid $5 mil more per season than he was worth based on the market"

5. Everyone would like this, and I would agree to a certain extent in round 3, but after that, if in 4-7 pretty much anything you get is decent. I'd also like to point out that Selvie looked good, and Oh Oh has a lot of potential, and they were after round 3. If you come out with two good players from those rounds, you had a fine draft. Hull might be a decent special team player if he gets healthy again. Overall, I think you are looking at Gilyard only and giving an F for all other prospects in those rounds because of it. Even the draft genius belicheat doesn't have 12 draft picks and 12 starters every year, or even 12 players that stick around on his team.

Also, as far as "jumping" on dropping talent. There are usually reasons the talent drops. Hernandez is a good pass-catcher, but apparently lacks the ability to block (If someone can confirm, I don't know for sure). Also, remember Claude Wroten? The 1st round talent DT we got that dropped way down to the 3rd or 4th round? I forget how his career went, was it multiple pro bowls, or out of the league in two years? Big time talent in later rounds is the exception, not the rule.

6. Disagree with #2 RB being the second. I will not understand the continued insistence by some on this board that having a guy who takes 6-8 snaps a game as a backup absolutely positively must be addressed before we think about getting someone to start at a position where we lack a starter. In what sport do you fill backup roles before starting roles? That's not to say we don't need one, but we desperately need an OLB or our defense will be suspect again. Upgrading OLB to a player of starting quality will do a LOT more than upgrading our backup player to....another backup player who is just kind of a better backup who still barely plays.

edit: Not going to change this part, but sorry, I mis-read it as "in order", you didn't say #2 rb was the second priority, my bad

7. Agreed

8. Agreed, but don't care if they say anything publicly

9. I prefer that route myself. I think our WR is too young and inexperienced. Adding more youth and inexperience won't help.

10. Get him back, that's what we need to do.
      Last edited by berg8309; -01-11-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Okay, let's break this down:

Originally posted by richtree View Post
        1. Get a TE in free agency. This is a weak Tight End Draft and Fells isn't good enough to play as a dual threat (block,catch) TE in our offense. Go after O.Daniels, M.Lewis, Z.Miller, K.Boss and let Micheal Hooman prove he can stay healthy.
        There are some good players on that list, but I don't think TE is a priority for FA dollars. I'm content with Michael Hoomanawanui going into next year.

2. Sign a Guard in Free-Agency. We took Saffold in Round 2 and hit gold. This year we cannot waste another top 4 round draft pick on the OL. We need to find a guy in FA to play with Brown, Smith, Saffold.
        FA OGs are typically not good values. Unless there is an "up-and-coming" player who has not yet established FA value, I'd rather take an OG in Round 3 or 4.

3. Draft athletes. We play in a dome and have a very slow team. Without Avery on the field we must have one of the slowest offenses on the field. Our defense lacks athletes that hit hard and play physical. We are weak up the middle except for JL.
        I agree with this statement more so with respect to offense than defense, though the Rams need better athletes/hitters at SLB and SS.

4. Attack free agency early and with $$$$. Last year ownership was in question and Bradford's contract was coming. After a good season we need to strike quickly so that other free-agents will know we are serious.
        No disagreement there. Sidney Rice, Chad Greenway and Barry Coefield's agents should already be on speed dial.

5. Draft better rounds 3-6. Rams seem to not draft as strong late in the draft. Everyone here wanted Mike Williams and Aaron Herdandez not to mention Jacoby Ford was there as well BUT we take a head case in Mardy Gilyard. When talent falls you must be ready to pounce or trade up.
        I think you are being a bit hard on the Front Office here. In hindsight, Williams, Hernandez and Ford were good picks, but Gilyard was deemed one too on draft day.

6. Our main priories are (in any order): WR, RB#2, G, OLB, SS, DL, KR/PR, athletes everywhere.
        Pretty much agree with that.

I'd like to see Clayton return. Hopefully, his asking price will be reasonable.

8. P.Shumur -- Replace him quickly or if he stays he should publicly (thru Spags) say that he wants to open the offense up with Bradford's arm.
        Don't want to replace him. Do want him to open up offense.

9. Signing a free agent WR allows us to go Defense in round 1. I know no one wants to hear that but if we sign a legit WR in free agency we can go : DE or OLB round 1 and WR round 2
        If the Rams could land Rice, V-Jax or Malcom Floyd, I'd certainly be fine waiting until Round 2 to select a WR.

10 . O. Atogwe -- what to do ? Our defense played to the max with minimal talent. We have 4 legit players on defense, that leaves 7 spots with room to improve. Our defense carried our team all season.
        The Rams should try to bring him back. A restructured contract to soften the hit may be in order, but I'd like to see him return.

Comment

Rice or Greenway in FA. Then fill the rest of the needs in the Draft. Money...

Comment

Av,

I don't think there was one person that actually thought Gilyard was a better pick than Mike Williams. If you watched both of them it was clear that the Rams reached for a Special team player that wasn't good enough and missed on a Legit starting NFL wide-out.

Comment

Av,

I don't think there was one person that actually thought Gilyard was a better pick than Mike Williams. If you watched both of them it was clear that the Rams reached for a Special team player that wasn't good enough and missed on a Legit starting NFL wide-out.
              I'll admit I thought Gilyard was a home run pick, but I watch football from a couch, so my opinions never seem to matter all that much

Comment

Av,

Are you kidding me? Mike Williams was suspended in 2008 and quit the Syracuse football team in November 2009. There were plenty of people who had him ranked below Gilyard, who had a great final season as a receiver at Cincinnati.

Comment

I personally thought talent-wise, Williams was better than Gilyard. But with character concerns and what not, Gilyard was the "safe" pick, and Williams would have been the "luxury/aggressive" pick.

Comment

Daniels is not the same player as he once was. I doubt Lewis, Miller or Boss will become available. I'm content with Hoomawanui if he can stay healthy.
                    I don't think that drafting an OL would be a 'wasted pick' by any means. I'd like to have a look at Nicks or Mankins if they become available, but there's no way I'd sink exorbitant amounts of money into either of them. I'd very much be happy to see us draft a guard within the first four rounds of the NFL draft.

Can't argue there. A couple of big, physical players at OLB and SS would solve the problems you note. I wouldn't mind if we invested early draft picks to address both positions.
                    I think what's most important is that we know our targets inside and out. I don't want to throw $25 Million at a player just to send a message to the rest of the league. Reeks of Drew Bennett to me. I'd like us to take a serious look at Kiwanuka, Cofield, McIntosh and Greenway early in the offseason, if they become available.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I think at the time, most everybody was thrilled with the Gilyard pick. Mike Williams had his own problems and didn't fit the four pillars. Maybe we didn't have as high of a grade placed on Hernandez and Ford. I don't think it's fair to call Gilyard a headcase, either. He has had his troubles learning the system and, as a result, he hasn't been able to get on the field. A bit of patience is probably necessary.
                    Can't argue with this.
                    I'm all in favour of resigning Clayton. Where did you hear that Jackson wants us to make a move for Houshmanzadeh?
                    This should come with the territory. Bradford's a developing QB, and the offensive unit as a whole should develop with him. I don't think any sort of public demonstration is necessary. Keep it in-house.
                    I don't think this is the solution I'm looking for. IMO, the best thing for us to do is to pursue a WR through the draft. Just about every FA WR has a huge question mark hanging over them. I'd like to have a long look at James Jones as a WR#2 if we can't bring Clayton back.

Comments?
                    Atogwe should be re-signed. Next question!

Comment