Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Av's 2011 Rams Draft Board (Final* Version)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Av's 2011 Rams Draft Board (Final* Version)

I'm calling this my "Final*" version because I could be forced to revise this if there is a flurry of FA activity before the draft (unlikely, but not impossible).

So, here's my rankings of players I think the Rams should consider:

1. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    Previous Rank: 1
    I still have Jones as my top choice. While no player is a "sure thing," there are just so many things to like about Jones. I truly believe he would instantly change the Rams' offense for the better.

2. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    Previous Rank: 2
    Everything I said about Jones is pretty much true about Green. I have Jones a smidge higher simply because of his size and what I see as untapped potential. But, believe me, its a toss-up between the two.

3. Patrick Peterson, DB, LSU
    Previous Rank: 3
    It is tough to find a flaw in Peterson's size/speed ratio or performance in college. I have read a couple of criticisms about him being overly aggressive, but I'll take that trade-off (of course, as is true with several players on this list, the Rams will likely have no shot of obtaining Peterson at pick #14).

4. Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    Previous Rank: 5
    Kurt Warner said in a recent interview that the difference between average/good teams and great teams is playmakers. Miller, by all accounts, has the potential to be a pass rushing terror.

5. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
    Previous Rank 8
    Here's another example of a player who has come through the pre-draft scrutiny pretty much "clean." I don't necessarily see a Ngata or Suh here, but Dareus should be a very good starting player who can be an anchor in a top defense.

6. Cameron Jordan, DE, California
    Previous Rank 7
    Every year, there's a guy who EVERYONE is talking about during Senior Bowl week. This year, that guy was Jordan. I'd love to see what Spagnuolo could do ith him.

7. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    Previous Rank: 6
    Why has Fairley dropped? I think there is a concern about his character and possibly his work ethic. But, make no mistake... he was as dominant a defensive player as there was last year in college.

8. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    Previous Rank: 3
    Its hard not to be worried about his knee. Then again, it wouldn't shock me if this ends up being a complete "red herring" (I'm reminded of the knee "issues" that Adrian Peterson had before he was drafted).

9. Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
    Previous Rank: 10
    Smith is viewed as unpolished, but he could end up being the top pass rusher in this draft. I'll take a chance on that kind of upside.

10. Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
    Previous Rank: N/A
    New to the list, I'm starting to warm to Liuget as a prospect. I have little doubt he could beat out Ryan and/or Gibson for a starting spot.

11. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
    Previous Rank: 9
    Kerrigan is a "can't go wrong" kind of prospect. I think other players have more upside, but I'd bet on Kerrigan to have one of the smoother transitions into the NFL.

12. Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
    Previous Rank: 11
    I don't know what it is, but I'm just not that pumped about the prospect of adding Quinn. That said, enough people in the know think very highly of them, that I feel I have to defer somewhat.

13. Justin Houston, OLB/DE, Georgia
    Previous Rank: 12
    I like Houston's size, speed and production. Still, his off the field issues are a concern, and I'm starting to wonder if he'll even be taken in Round 1.

14. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    Previous Rank: 13
    Again, while I don't see CB as a major need area, I think Prince is too good a prospect to rank lower than this.

15. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
    Previous Rank: 15
    You have to be impressed with his bench press feat, accomplished while recovering from a knee injury. While he's on this list, I hope he slips through the cracks and is there at pick #47.

Dropped from list: Akeem Ayers

Av's Best (for the Rams) of the Rest (Alphabetical):

Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
    Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina
    Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky
    Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia
    Mason Foster, OLB, Washingon
    Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (FL)
    Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois
    DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma
    Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
    Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
    Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas State
    Jordan Todman, RB, UConn
    Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
    Last edited by AvengerRam_old; -04-14-2011, 06:03 AM.

Re: Av's 2011 Rams Draft Board (Final* Version)

One guy that I like as much as Liuget and Paea is Muhammad Wikerson. Wilkerson has better size IMO then the other two and was very productive. I like Paea and think he has a non-stop motor and will be a solid player but I think Wikerson has a higher potential ceiling. I am not very high on Liuget but others seem to be.

Wilkerson 6'4 315 -- 4.95 40 -- 27 reps 225
    12 games 70 tackles 9.5 sacks 13 tackles for loss

Liuget 6'2 298 -- 4.95 40 -- 27 reps 225
    13 games 63 tackles 4.5 sacks 12.5 tackles for loss

Paea 6'1 300 -- 4.95 40 -- 49 reps 225
    11 games 42 tackles 6 sacks 10 tackles for loss
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-08-2011, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Wilkerson was an "on the bubble" guy for my list. I have some concern that his numbers might be a little inflated by the level of competition. Still, as a second round prospect, I certainly think he's worth a look.

Comment

No JJ Watt? U dont think he can play in a 4-3?

Comment

Originally posted by BarronWade View Post
          No JJ Watt? U dont think he can play in a 4-3?
          No, I see him as a perfect 3-4 DE. Not interested in another Adam Carriker.

Comment

Av, where do you see Cam Jordan fitting in on the line? I've seen him as a perfect 3-4 DE, just like Watt, especially considering that he played such in college. Personally, I feel that Jordan would be a Chris Long clone at best, which would be an interesting experiment to have them on the same line but I think we need a true right end to book end our true left end in Long. I would much rather see Aldon Smith and Quinn line up at RE rather than Jordan.
            I believe!:ram:

Comment

Eh, I might be in the minority, but I wouldn't be overly excited about Von Miller to the Rams (especially since we'd probably have to move up to make it happen).

Best case scenario: He becomes the new Mathias Kiwanuka despite being 20 lbs. lighter. As one of the top pass rushing 4-3 linebackers, Kiwanuka had 8 sacks in 2008...although he has pretty consistently gotten around 4 sacks per season for the rest of his career.

Worst case scenario: His pass rushing skills don't translate well to the bigger, more physical NFL, and he is exposed as a below average run defender with limited ball skills.

I agree with the exclusion of J.J. Watt largely for the same reason. IMO, both seem like better fits for a 3-4 system.

For what it's worth, I saw USA Today's draft preview in the grocery store today, and it also had Luiget to the Rams.

Comment

Originally posted by TekeRam View Post
                Av, where do you see Cam Jordan fitting in on the line? I've seen him as a perfect 3-4 DE, just like Watt, especially considering that he played such in college. Personally, I feel that Jordan would be a Chris Long clone at best, which would be an interesting experiment to have them on the same line but I think we need a true right end to book end our true left end in Long. I would much rather see Aldon Smith and Quinn line up at RE rather than Jordan.
                Jordan, in my opinion, has a broader skill set than Watt. I can see him playing both inside and out, much like Justin Tuck did in Spags' Giants defense.
                Last edited by AvengerRam_old; -04-10-2011, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenfleece View Post
                  Eh, I might be in the minority, but I wouldn't be overly excited about Von Miller to the Rams (especially since we'd probably have to move up to make it happen).

Best case scenario: He becomes the new Mathias Kiwanuka despite being 20 lbs. lighter. As one of the top pass rushing 4-3 linebackers, Kiwanuka had 8 sacks in 2008...although he has pretty consistently gotten around 4 sacks per season for the rest of his career.
                  Miller and Kiwanuka are very different players. Kiwanuka was an undersized DE in college, and has suffered from 'tweener issues in the NFL (though he's still a pretty decent player). Miller is was a college LB, and has the size/skill to fit in both an 3-4 or 4-3 at the OLB position.

Of course, its pretty moot, as the Rams won't have a shot at Miller absent a trade.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                    Miller and Kiwanuka are very different players. Kiwanuka was an undersized DE in college, and has suffered from 'tweener issues in the NFL (though he's still a pretty decent player). Miller is was a college LB, and has the size/skill to fit in both an 3-4 or 4-3 at the OLB position.

Of course, its pretty moot, as the Rams won't have a shot at Miller absent a trade.
                    They're different players, yes, but one would expect them to be used much the same way. Von Miller played the "joker" (roving rush linebacker) in college, which is also the basic description of Kiwanuka's role in the Giants' system in the pros. I'm not saying they were the same player coming out but that Kiwanuka's position is where Miller projects in the NFL if he goes to a 4-3 team.

Most accounts I've come across say he rushed the passer almost every down--and that certainly seems to be where his highlights come from. He had 11 sacks in 12 games, a feat that would be nothing short of phenomenal for an NFL linebacker in the 4-3. In fact, I don't think a 4-3 outside linebacker has hit double digits in a 16-game pro season in the last decade. He strikes me as a one-dimensional player who has proven only that he excels at one of the three most important skills for a linebacker in our system.

Comment

I'd probably put Bowers and Smith ahead of Jordan myself, for reasons that I think some have been getting at. Jordan certainly looked unblockable at the Senior Bowl, but I do like his fit in a 3-4 more than I do as a 4-3 DE. I don't think he's as married to the 3-4 as J.J. Watt is, but I do wonder if Jordan would provide the kind of pass rush threat you'd really need from a 4-3 RDE. Maybe if we didn't have Chris Long on the left side, Jordan would be a bit more appealing as I think he'd do well on that side. But I tend to prefer Bowers and Smith when considering what the Rams are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                        I'd probably put Bowers and Smith ahead of Jordan myself, for reasons that I think some have been getting at. Jordan certainly looked unblockable at the Senior Bowl, but I do like his fit in a 3-4 more than I do as a 4-3 DE. I don't think he's as married to the 3-4 as J.J. Watt is, but I do wonder if Jordan would provide the kind of pass rush threat you'd really need from a 4-3 RDE. Maybe if we didn't have Chris Long on the left side, Jordan would be a bit more appealing as I think he'd do well on that side. But I tend to prefer Bowers and Smith when considering what the Rams are looking for.
                        In Bowers' case, if I had better information on his health, and knew that his injury was short-term, I'd agree with you 100% and he'd probably be in my top 3 or 4.

Smith vs. Jordan is a tougher call. Smith does appear to be the better fit, but Jordan's game is far more refined at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                          In Bowers' case, if I had better information on his health, and knew that his injury was short-term, I'd agree with you 100% and he'd probably be in my top 3 or 4.

Smith vs. Jordan is a tougher call. Smith does appear to be the better fit, but Jordan's game is far more refined at this point.
                          I think that the medical recheck in Indy(this week?) will be huge on where Bowers goes. If he gets a clean bill of health, he'll be top 5. If it's inconclusive, probably top 12, depending on team's own checks. If it's a fail, he'll be there, but I sure hope we don't take him hoping that he'll heal up fine.

As for Smith/Jordan, I think you made the exact case for why I would put Smith above Jordan. Cam's game is certainly more refined now, and was very good at the senior bowl. He is definitely a top 20 talent. But Smith is a top 20 talent based on his physical attributes alone, and is the model of a weakside 4-3 DE. With Hall and Long tutoring Smith, Smith can be used as a pure pass rusher this year, and get full time starts next year, while Hall transitions to the part time player. Smith's ceiling is much higher than Jordan's and I'm not sure his floor is much lower.
                          I believe!:ram:

Comment