X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams pretty quite so far in free agency

BY JIM THOMAS Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 12:10 am

Read more: Rams pretty quiet so far in free agency

At least five of the Rams' eight draft picks agreed to terms Thursday. At least three of their four restricted free agents plan to sign their one-year tender offers today.

But in terms of unrestricted free agency, there was a lot of talk but no apparent action. After striking quickly to land Philadelphia safety Quentin Mikell on Tuesday, the first day that NFL teams could negotiate with free agents, no other moves have been made, causing some in Rams Nation to become antsy, frustrated, and even angry.

But based on the amount of discussion the Rams are having with free agent prospects, it looks like just a matter of time before the Rams add to their roster.

• At linebacker, the team has been talking to at least four players, and may be looking for both an outside and inside ‘backer. But one of those candidates went off the board Thursday, when Scott Shanle decided to re-sign with New Orleans.

Stewart Bradley of Philadelphia, Zach Diles of Houston, and Ben Leber of Minnesota all remained possibilities, however, as of Thursday evening.

• At defensive tackle, the Rams have talked with Justin Bannan, who was released for cap purposes by Denver shortly before the lockout began. Bannan, 32, started all 16 games for the Broncos last season and is considered an upgrade over last year's starter - Gary Gibson. It's not clear at this point if the Rams have any interest in re-signing Gibson.

The Rams have expressed some interest in Brandon Mebane of Seattle, but aren't considered a frontrunner for his services. Barry Cofield of the New York Giants seemed like a no-brainer at one time because of his past association with coach Steve Spagnuolo, but Cofield agreed to a contract in Washington worth a reported $36 million over six years.

• At running back, the Rams took a pass on Reggie Bush, who was traded Thursday to Miami. And free agent Darren Sproles of San Diego agreed to terms with New Orleans late Thursday. Instead of seriously pursuing those two elite specialty backs, the Rams appear to be targeting a backup to Steven Jackson capable of carrying the load for a couple, three games should Jackson go down with an injury. Jason Snelling of Atlanta and Jerome Harrison of Philadelphia have emerged as candidates.

• It has been more difficult to get a read on the offensive guard position. The team talked to Daryn Colledge of Green Bay, but he is headed to Arizona. Leonard Davis of Dallas could be another possibility.

• At receiver, the Rams apparently are taking a pass on the big names. They have talked to Atlanta's Brian Finneran, a role player over the years for the Falcons.

In terms of their own unrestricted free agents, the Rams continue to talk to wide receiver Mark Clayton but there was no contract agreement Thursday. It's uncertain whether the Rams are interested in bringing back Adam Goldberg, who started all 16 games last season at right guard.

Free agent tight end Daniel Fells is scheduled to visit Denver today, and if he doesn't sign with the Broncos will then head to Tennessee. The Rams remain in the mix, and Seattle also is in the picture.

Fullback Mike Karney, released by the Rams before the lockout, is drawing interest from Denver, with Arizona and Baltimore possibly in the mix as well.

In remarks to the media Tuesday, general manager Billy Devaney tried to warn against expectations about signing a big-name free agent.

"I mean, we're not kidding anybody," Devaney said. "We still have holes to fill and we're going to take the same approach (as in the past). We're not going to jump out there for the one guy, so to speak - the mega superstar guy.

"Obviously we're going to build this thing through the draft and supplement with guys (in free agency) that can be good, solid players for a long time. It doesn't mean they're going to be the ‘A-plus' kind of players. Rather than just go after the one guy, if we can get two, three starters out of this thing, I would be thrilled with that."

Today is the first day free agents can be signed, and it's also reporting day for Rams training camp. (The first practice isn't until Saturday.) Offensive guard John Greco, linebacker David Vobora, and linebacker Chris Chamberlain all are expected to sign one-year tenders today as restricted free agents.

In terms of the Rams' eight draft picks, fourth-round receiver Greg Salas of Hawaii, fifth-round safety Jermale Hines of Ohio State, seventh-round cornerback Mikail Baker of Baylor, seventh-round linebacker Jabara Williams of Stephen F. Austin and seventh-round safety Jonathan Nelson of Oklahoma have all agreed to terms.

Thursday was the first day teams could release players from their own roster, but the Rams made no cuts. Earlier in the week, the Rams confirmed that they were removing the tender offer from restricted
    :ramlogo:

Re: Rams pretty quite so far in free agency

I have to admit that I agree with Devaney's approach to all of this. Let's get our house in order and dabble in the free agent market. If the price is right go for it. If not.....NEXT!

GO RAMS!!!!
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Devaneys probably right, it just frustrates me seeing all the other teams in the West getting the better players. I do not know what's worse, the lockout or free agency.? only joking fans. I think were doing a good job in all honesty.? I fancy a Devaney trade coming soon.?

Comment

i didn't realise we had signed all the late round guys like Hines and Baker, i thought we had only signed Salas, so that's good. I think Hines should be in camp early, and could get a good chance to make the roster looking at the current state of the safety position
        @EssexRam_

Comment

Does someone want to tell the Rams that the lock out is over. I pains me to see alot of teams getting better and the Rams sitting with the same players as last year. I hope something happens soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2oo2 View Post
            Does someone want to tell the Rams that the lock out is over. I pains me to see alot of teams getting better and the Rams sitting with the same players as last year. I hope something happens soon!
            Have you been paying attention? The Rams signed a starting OLB, starting RG, and starting S. And were not done yet.

Comment

Loving the F.O moves so far, always knew and anyone that knows this front-office knows that they arent "big-splash" guys. But they get great value & good pieces.

Have you been paying attention? The Rams signed a starting OLB, starting RG, and starting S. And were not done yet.
              which OLB did they sign? cant find it anywhere?

But im a happy chappy and will feel a whole lot better if we get Snelling.

Comment

I think that we still need some high quality guys at some of the skill positions. Braylon Edwards would be an excellent grab for us. I think we are over crowded at the position, but I would rather sign him than Clayton. Though no else have talked about him, how about Ricky Williams as back up & Snelling as well? Would it hurt to look Antonio Cromartie? It's not about a big splash, it's about upgrading positions to make the team better. As the team gets better it's going to be harder to build through the draft. The quality between 1-10 is different from 15-20.

Comment

Originally posted by svh01 View Post
                  I think that we still need some high quality guys at some of the skill positions. Braylon Edwards would be an excellent grab for us. I think we are over crowded at the position, but I would rather sign him than Clayton. Though no else have talked about him, how about Ricky Williams as back up & Snelling as well? Would it hurt to look Antonio Cromartie? It's not about a big splash, it's about upgrading positions to make the team better. As the team gets better it's going to be harder to build through the draft. The quality between 1-10 is different from 15-20.
                  Sims-Walker has essentially filled the need for #1 receiver, so Edwards seems of little value. I like Snelling, but I don't see the sense in signing Williams. We only really need a single backup RB, and Snelling fits the bill perfectly. I'm not opposed to Cromartie, but it seems that money should be spent on places that need serious help, such as DT. Our CB situation is actually very good. All I've seen this offseason is an upgrade. This team will be better than last year's, and I'm quite excited to see what they can do.

Side note: The Patriots seem to have done well drafting in the 20's for the past few years. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ramendola16 View Post
                    Sims-Walker has essentially filled the need for #1 receiver, so Edwards seems of little value. I like Snelling, but I don't see the sense in signing Williams. We only really need a single backup RB, and Snelling fits the bill perfectly. I'm not opposed to Cromartie, but it seems that money should be spent on places that need serious help, such as DT. Our CB situation is actually very good. All I've seen this offseason is an upgrade. This team will be better than last year's, and I'm quite excited to see what they can do.

Side note: The Patriots seem to have done well drafting in the 20's for the past few years. ;)
                    Didn't know about the Sims-Walker signing at the time. Still we are signing another receiver with a history of injuries. I think Edwards would have been worth the money because history has shown him to be dependable and probably a better talent.

Williams I also agree is not needed, but he would make a heck of insurance policy just in case. He's still a homerun hitter that doesn't need the ball 20 times a games nor a big salary . Could imagine a 2 back set with Jackson & Williams or a rotation like the Giants had with their 3 backs? Jackson, Snelling, & Williams would be awesome and will keep the defense honest.

As for the Pats, I agree, but the difference is they are a winning team that draft for depth and not impact. We don't have that luxury yet! They also stock pile picks to trade for veteran players and higher picks.

I do trust Spags and Devaney, so I will let them do their jobs and support them REGARDLESS. It's fun to try to play GM though. Go Rams!!!
                    Last edited by svh01; -07-30-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                      Rams prepare to evaluate free-agent market
                      by Nick
                      Rams prepare to evaluate free-agent market
                      BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 11:45 am

Less than 72 hours after the team's season-ending loss in Seattle, Rams coaches began evaluating free agents throughout the NFL.

"We gave them the free-agent lists — the UFAs — and they started that process (Wednesday) morning," general manager Billy Devaney said.

Never mind that the current labor impasse between team owners and the NFL Players Association means there is no salary cap, and no guarantee that an agreement will be reached before the March 4 start of free agency period.

"I think everybody's hopeful that March 4 will come and we'll have a new league year and start (as usual)," said Kevin Demoff, the Rams' executive vice president of football operations. "But that's to be determined. You have to have a number of different scenarios mapped out, and adjust depending on how the offseason unfolds."

In the meantime, the evaluation process remains the same at Rams Park. The scouting staff evaluates potential free agents, the coaching staff gets involved in the process, and you go from there.

For now, the Rams are treating all players with four years' experience and expired contracts as potential unrestricted free agents, or UFAs. This past offseason, with no salary cap, only players with six years' experience and expired contracts were eligible for unrestricted free agency.

But for now, the starting point for the Rams in terms of the free-agent evaluation process is that the old system is in place.

"At some point things may be different, but as of right now we're still planning for the 2011 season and what's best for the St. Louis Rams," Demoff said.

A big part of that process is evaluating the Rams' own free agents. The Rams have 12 players scheduled for unrestricted free agency and eight scheduled for restricted free agency.

Of the 12 players on the unrestricted list, five were starters in 2010: wide receiver Mark Clayton, tight end Daniel Fells, defensive tackle Gary Gibson, offensive guard Adam Goldberg, and wide receiver Laurent Robinson. Also, cornerback Kevin Dockery filled the nickel-back role for much of the season.

Although Devaney isn't tipping his hand, if there's a top priority regarding the 12 UFAs, it's probably Clayton, whose season ended early in Game 5 in Detroit with a patellar tendon injury. After being acquired in a Sept. 6 trade with Baltimore, Clayton had a huge impact in the Rams' passing game, catching 23 passes for 306 yards and two touchdowns.

"We think the world of the guy," Devaney said. "We would love for him to be here."

At tight end, Fells finished third on the team in reception yards (391) and fourth in catches (41), while catching two touchdown passes....
                      -01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
                    • eldfan
                      Frustrated by free agency so far? Patience
                      by eldfan
                      by VanRam on Mar 5, 2010

Anyone thinking the St. Louis Rams would move as fast this year in free agency as they did last year is bound to be a little disappointed. I can only counsel patience.

Last year, the stars aligned a little better for the Rams in free agency. They had some prime targets that directly addressed important needs for the team. C Jason Brown was on the radar immediately, with the team setting up a meeting within 48 hours of the start of free agency. They worked out a deal with CB Ron Bartell, who was an unrestricted free agent, within a week. There was talk about signing SS James Butler in the early days of free agency too, but the team didn't reach a deal with him until two weeks into free agency.

This time around it's not so easy. None of the big names in FA to sign thus far, less than 24 hours in, would have been good fits for the Rams. Nate Burleson, not exactly the WR we're in need of. Did you see how much the Bears gave Julius Peppers? That wasn't realistic for the Rams.

Here's a pretty telling point from Mike Sando today: of the 43 unrestricted free agents with a Pro Bowl appearance, only one is younger than 29-years-old.

The hardest pill to swallow is the report that the Seahawks are bringing in Broncos WR Brandon Marshall for a visit. Marshall, a RFA, would cost a first round pick, if signed away from the Broncos. Seattle has two of those.

All is not lost. If you're starting to despair that A.J. Feeley might be the only roster move the Rams make, be patient. It's telling that the Rams had scheduled a visit with RB Darren Sproles during the brief window when it looked like he would be a free agent.

As for trades, I expect the Rams to at least explore some options via that route, but those take time to hammer out deals.
                      -03-06-2010, 08:30 AM
                    • r8rh8rmike
                      Free Agents Get Tendered Offers From Rams
                      by r8rh8rmike
                      Free agents get tendered offers from Rams

BY JIM THOMAS
                      Thursday, March 3, 2011

Even with a work stoppage looming tonight in the National Football League, the Rams are proceeding — at least for now — in a business-as-usual fashion. To wit, the team has made one-year tender offers to eight potential restricted free agents.

Tight end Daniel Fells, defensive tackle Gary Gibson and offensive tackle Renardo Foster were tendered at a right of first refusal level. None of the three players were drafted, so the Rams have matching rights on any outside offers. But they would not get draft pick compensation if the players received a contract offer from another club and the Rams decided not to match that offer.

Meanwhile, linebacker Chris Chamberlain, offensive guard John Greco, cornerback Justin King, wide receiver Laurent Robinson and linebacker David Vobora were tendered at their original draft position level.

That means the Rams would get draft pick compensation equal to those players' original draft position if they got a contract offer from another team and the Rams decided not to match. Greco and Robinson were drafted in the third round; King in the fourth; and Chamberlain and Vobora in the seventh.

In the case of Fells, Gibson and Robinson, the tender offers may end up being a case of meaningless paperwork. Those three players have four years or more of NFL experience. In a normal year, they would be eligible for unrestricted free agency, meaning they could sign with another team, no strings attached.

But last offseason, because it was a year with no salary cap, the minimum experience required to be eligible for unrestricted free agency was pushed up to six years. So under last year's rules Fells, Gibson and Robinson reverted back to restricted status — none of them have six years experience. The Rams filed the tender offers as if last year's rules were in place.

However, it's expected that whenever a new labor agreement is reached, the eligibility requirements for unrestricted free agency will go back to four years, meaning Fells, Gibson and Robinson would then become unrestricted.

But in the case of Chamberlain, Foster, Greco, King and Vobora, all have three years experience, so they are restricted free agents no matter what. With the exception of Foster, the four other players in this group were part of the Rams' 2008 draft class.

The Rams did not make tender offers to three other players scheduled for traditional restricted free agency (three years experience): cornerback Quincy Butler, running back Kenneth Darby and linebacker Curtis Johnson. That doesn't mean the Rams won't try to re-sign them at some point for a minimum wage. But for now, it means they are free to sign with any team — as if they were released players — once the free agency and trading period begins.

Of...
                      -03-03-2011, 10:41 PM
                    • TheBritishRam
                      Free agents get tendered offers from Rams
                      by TheBritishRam
                      BY JIM THOMAS
                      Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011

Even with a work stoppage looming tonight in the National Football League, the Rams are proceeding — at least for now — in a business-as-usual fashion. To wit, the team has made one-year tender offers to eight potential restricted free agents.

Tight end Daniel Fells, defensive tackle Gary Gibson and offensive tackle Renardo Foster were tendered at a right of first refusal level. None of the three players were drafted, so the Rams have matching rights on any outside offers. But they would not get draft pick compensation if the players received a contract offer from another club and the Rams decided not to match that offer.

Meanwhile, linebacker Chris Chamberlain, offensive guard John Greco, cornerback Justin King, wide receiver Laurent Robinson and linebacker David Vobora were tendered at their original draft position level.

That means the Rams would get draft pick compensation equal to those players' original draft position if they got a contract offer from another team and the Rams decided not to match. Greco and Robinson were drafted in the third round; King in the fourth; and Chamberlain and Vobora in the seventh.

In the case of Fells, Gibson and Robinson, the tender offers may end up being a case of meaningless paperwork. Those three players have four years or more of NFL experience. In a normal year, they would be eligible for unrestricted free agency, meaning they could sign with another team, no strings attached.

But last offseason, because it was a year with no salary cap, the minimum experience required to be eligible for unrestricted free agency was pushed up to six years. So under last year's rules Fells, Gibson and Robinson reverted back to restricted status — none of them have six years experience. The Rams filed the tender offers as if last year's rules were in place.

However, it's expected that whenever a new labor agreement is reached, the eligibility requirements for unrestricted free agency will go back to four years, meaning Fells, Gibson and Robinson would then become unrestricted.

But in the case of Chamberlain, Foster, Greco, King and Vobora, all have three years experience, so they are restricted free agents no matter what. With the exception of Foster, the four other players in this group were part of the Rams' 2008 draft class.

The Rams did not make tender offers to three other players scheduled for traditional restricted free agency (three years experience): cornerback Quincy Butler, running back Kenneth Darby and linebacker Curtis Johnson. That doesn't mean the Rams won't try to re-sign them at some point for a minimum wage. But for now, it means they are free to sign with any team — as if they were released players — once the free agency and trading period begins.

Of course, with a work stoppage expected by 11 p.m. tonight...
                      -03-03-2011, 04:18 AM
                    • r8rh8rmike
                      Thomas: Rams Will Let Most Of Their Free Agents Walk
                      by r8rh8rmike
                      Rams will let most of their free agents walk

BY JIM THOMAS
                      Friday, March 9, 2012

With the free agency period beginning March 13, the Rams have just four days of exclusive negotiating rights when it comes to re-signing their own players. Once the free agency and trading period begins Tuesday afternoon, those Rams free agents can shop the market, negotiate, and sign with anyone in the NFL.

The Rams have a long list of pending unrestricted free agents — 20 players— but are interested in re-signing only a handful of those 20. Unless things heat up between now and next Tuesday, the Rams might not have any of those players re-signed before the start of free agency.

If nothing else, the lack of activity is a sign the Rams might be saving most of their dollars to sign outside free agents. When you've lost 65 of your past 80 games, standing pat isn't the desired course of action anyway. The Rams are trying to upgrade the roster, not bring the band back together for a reunion tour.

The "headliner" among Rams free agents is wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, who led the team in catches (51), yards (683), and touchdown catches (five) despite playing in only 11 Rams games after his October trade from Denver. The Rams are talking to Lloyd's agent, but indications are that contract talks are far from the hot-and-heavy stage.

Lloyd might want to test the market, anyway, especially with benefactor Josh McDaniels now working as offensive coordinator in New England, where the Patriots need help at receiver. And the Rams might want to extend themselves only so far with Lloyd given the other potential options in the draft and free agency.

Among their other pending free agents, the Rams also have been in discussions with left guard Jacob Bell, outside linebacker Chris Chamberlain and punter Donnie Jones. Bell spent his first four seasons with coach Jeff Fisher in Tennessee before signing with the Rams as a free agent in 2008. He missed the last four games of the 2011 season with a right knee injury, an injury that did not require surgery. But the new Rams regime thought Bell blocked well in his later games, particularly against New Orleans.

Jones had his worst season as a Ram in 2011, but punted at or close to a Pro Bowl level in his four previous years with St. Louis. The Rams considered placing a transition tag on Jones prior to the March 5 deadline for transition or franchise tags but opted against it.

The Rams are early in talks with Chamberlain, who enjoyed the best season of his four-year NFL career in 2011 with career highs in starts (13), tackles (82), and sacks (two) while primarily playing weakside linebacker.

AMENDOLA TENDERED

Wide receiver Danny Amendola has been informed by the Rams that he will be tendered at a second-round level as a restricted free agent. Restricted free agents...
                      -03-09-2012, 11:50 AM
                    Working...
                    X