X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotoworld's E-W Shrine Week Review

E-W Shrine Week Review
    Thursday, January 17, 2013

Rather than breakdown the East and West rosters position by position, I decided to take this review a different way. Honestly, after the first day it was fairly obvious who the prospects were that had a chance to impress this week. Those players put on consistent performances each day, standing out in individual and team drills. With that said, these rankings are not based solely on this event (as you will see with some prospects that had “down” weeks), but rather how I rank the prospects moving forward. All postseason practices and games are used as an extra exposure, as complementary pieces, not the backbone of an evaluation.

You will notice a trend in certain positions being listed. That was not on purpose, but I truly feel those spots generated the most talent this week and are some of the deeper positions in this year’s draft. As a side note, I will have my Senior Bowl preview posted on Saturday along with updates throughout next week.

1. RB Zac Stacy (5083/215), Vanderbilt - Was this a great week for Stacy? No, but his running style is not one that would stand out in situations with limited contact. The Commodore would thrive in a slant or zone blocking scheme, using decisive cuts and physicality to make defenders miss at the second level. I am not saying he is the next Alfred Morris, but the Redskin was at this event last year and made very little noise. The two play the position similarly.

2. RB Ray Graham (5093/192), Pittsburgh - Unlike Stacy, Graham’s explosive style did impress onlookers during limited contact practices. His right knee looks fully healthy, and Graham was unafraid to burst off cuts in either direction. I still consider him an early third day selection, but like Stacy, Graham could be a productive back if given the opportunity.

3. OLB Keith Pough (6016/241), Howard - The main difference with Pough this week compared to his college film is that he played a lot on the weakside during practices, while also seeing time near the line of scrimmage or in space. He was unable to participate in pass rush drills, but Pough’s closing speed around the edge is excellent. Add on his active and talkative personality, and Pough could be the top player selected in April’s Draft that attended this event.

4. OLB Gerald Hodges (6011/239), Penn State - Unless you watched Hodges closely, his week likely appeared average, but the Penn State linebacker was consistently where he needed to be against the run and pass with sound technique and positioning. Hodges likely projects as a weakside linebacker behind a four man front but might get some looks from 3-4 teams on the inside.

5. T/G Terron Armstead (6050/304), Arkansas-Pine Bluff - The small schooler has some issues to iron out, most notably growing a stronger upper body to help win more consistently on first contact, but Armstead was easily the top offensive lineman during the week of practice. Considering he was rarely asked to pull and locate linebackers at second level, something Armstead did very well in college, he has even more to show evaluators. I worry if he has the anchor to sustain power rushers on the inside, but Armstead might end up at guard in the future and possibly earned a Senior Bowl call up.

6. S Earl Wolff (5111/206), NC State - As I stated earlier in the week, whenever East safeties coach Marlon McCree spoke, I listened. However, Wolff consistently stood out on his own, showing a lot of range on tight angles to make plays or line up non-hits at the catch point due to limited contact. The senior played a lot of free safety while at NC State, and although the coverages were very basic this week, Wolff showed off a lot of talent.

7. OLB Sio Moore (6006/240), UConn - The future weakside linebacker presents an array of skills, including some production as a speed rusher off the edge. Moore is still learning and was frequently seen taking directions from coaches, but thats part of what the event is all about. For now, Moore is active when running and chasing and likely helps in a special teams role.

8. RB Christine Michael (5096/221), Texas A&M - Michael was my top senior running back prior to the 2012 season, but a lack of touches obviously produced less tape and allowed others to pass him. This week, however, Michael showed off aggression when finishing runs with a wide base and powerful strides to make cuts off blocks. He has a long injury history and butted heads with A&M coaches, but it is tough to doubt Michael’s talent.

9. S Zeke Motta (6022/215), Notre Dame - After a poor individual performance in the BCS National Championship game, Motta put together a consistent week of practice in St. Petersburg. He isn’t Harrison Smith, especially when attacking the run in space or locating the football on downfield throws, but Motta looked good in man to man situations and could sneak into the third day.

10. S Duke Williams (5106/203), Nevada - I was really impressed with Williams’ game against Cal, when he locked up Keenan Allen in the slot on multiple occasions. He saw some one on one snaps on receivers this week, but Williams worked best as a strong safety closing on runs between the tackles and on the edge.

11. DE David Bass (6036/263), Missouri Western State - I will admit to only have watched highlight tapes of Bass prior to Shrine week, but he easily looked like the most polished pass rusher on the East squad. After winning with a dip around the edge, Bass followed it up with a latch and pull technique to keep his opponent off balance. Add in a slick outside to inside move, and Bass could be the top defensive end from this event.

12. DT William Campbell (6047/318), Michigan - The Wolverine isn’t going to wow with consistent penetration or a variety of pass rush moves, but Campbell can hold an anchor with a powerful frame. He was consistently holding his spot in individual drills, making it very difficult for the West offensive linemen to generate any push.

13. CB Brandon McGee (5106/195), Miami - While it is difficult on corners to stand out in this environment, McGee made a handful of splash plays that were tough to forget. Above all, his fluidity in space when mirroring to go along with a smooth hip turn

14. S Cooper Taylor (6042/229), Richmond - I had watched very little of Taylor prior to the week, but his consistently tight angles to get in correct positioning caught my eye and many others’. The massive safety might not have the range some look for, but Taylor likely helped solidify an evaluation with a draftable grade attached to it this week.

15. OLB DeVonte Holloman (6014/246), South Carolina - The former safety turned “Spur” found a home on the weakside this week. As stated when discussing the other linebackers, it is not a position that can easily draw praise at this type of event, but I like his experience in coverage and a willingness to stick his nose in on running plays when closing from the backside or holding the edge.

16. S Josh Evans (6011/205), Florida - Marlon McCree mentioned Evans’ name more than any other during the four days of practice. With Matt Elam asked to play in the box at Florida, Evans was stuck patrolling the back half and was rarely in a position to make a play on passes. After this week, I think Evans could be asked to do more in the NFL and produce in a backup role.

17. CB Terry Hawthorne (6000/194), Illinois - Did Hawthorne make anyone remember his high preseason evaluation? No, but I still think there is talent that can be extracted. He is worth a draft pick and that is notable when comparing him to many other prospects on the two rosters.

18. TE D.C. Jefferson (6056/255), Rutgers - Jefferson is who he is: a willing blocker and underused receiving option that will be an upside pick in the later rounds. The former quarterback is a proficient blocker but a bit stiff in his routes, especially when asked to break them off. With all things considered, a fifth-round selection is nothing to frown upon.

19. WR Marcus Davis (6031/230), Virginia Tech - Davis’ practice performances could not even be termed adequate, but considering his frame and future workout numbers, the Hokie is going to get drafted. He struggled to adjust his body on downfield targets, but he is absolutely worth a flier.

20. C James Ferentz (6007/289), Iowa - I am not giving up on Ferentz, even though he failed to connect on multiple snaps from center. Honestly, it makes no sense, since Ferentz was used to a quarterback working behind him at Iowa. He weighed in at a solid 289 pounds, and ferentz should at least get a shot with a zone heavy team due to his positional blocking and active feet.

Re: Rotoworld's E-W Shrine Week Review

Gonna watch it! Lets see what we come away with!

Comment

Re: Rotoworld's E-W Shrine Week Review

Why does this review not mention Hingle McCringleberry?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
        Norris: E-W Shrine Review
        by Nick
        Norris: E-W Shrine Review
        Friday, January 17, 2014
        Josh Norris
        All Star Circuit

Rather than breakdown the East and West rosters position by position, I decided to take this review a different way. Honestly, after the first day it was fairly obvious who the prospects were that had a chance to impress this week. Those players put on consistent performances each day, standing out in individual and team drills. With that said, these rankings are not based solely on this event (as you will see with some prospects that had “down” weeks), but rather how I rank the prospects moving forward. All postseason practices and games are used as an extra exposure, as complementary pieces, not the backbone of an evaluation.

You will notice a trend in certain positions being listed. That was not on purpose, but I truly feel those spots generated the most talent this week and are some of the deeper positions in this year’s draft. As a side note, I will have my Senior Bowl preview posted soon along with updates throughout next week.

1. QB Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois - There might have been certain points in the week where Jeff Mathews looked like a better prospect, but when comparing inseason action, the two are not close. Garoppolo has quick feet, quick eyes, and a quick release. As long as a quarterback can find open throwing lanes and/or throw from multiple platforms, I do not care about their height, but some evaluators were happy to see Garoppolo measure in over 6’2 and with a hand size of 9.13 inches.

Teams will likely question his ability to work from center and hit patterns with timing and anticipation. Garoppolo certainly works through multiple reads, but there is a bit of an improvisational style to it. The progressions seem to be at his pace.

Many offenses rely on quick decision makers with a quick release, and Garoppolo can absolutely check these boxes. Things change a bit when pressured, as the quarterback has a tendency to drift laterally rather than step up or work from a phone booth. Garoppolo will end up in the crowded tier of passers after the top four, but do not be surprised if he tops that group. He displays mobility, touch, velocity, placement and a willingness to hit receivers at every level of the field. A second day selection is within reach for Garoppolo.

2. CB Pierre Desir, Linwood - Long, athletic corners that can match up with receivers at the catch point will be coveted during the draft process. He might be a “small school” prospect, but Desir fits the bill. Standing at 6’1/197 with almost a 33-inch reach, Desir could wind up as one of the longest corners in this class.

I always complain about college programs not implementing more press man coverage, especially since illegal contact does not exist at this level of football. Since it is not allowed in the actual all star game, Desir was limited to off coverage situations, something...
        -01-18-2014, 06:02 AM
      • Nick
        Risers and Fallers from East-West Shrine practices
        by Nick
        Risers and Fallers from East-West Shrine practices
        Jan. 20, 2010
        By Chad Reuter
        The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Three days of intense practices at the East-West Shrine Game concluded Wednesday with prospects trying to make a lasting impression before many NFL scouts skipped town for a few days leading into next week's Senior Bowl.

Washington defensive end Daniel Te'o Nesheim continued to impress with his motor, while Penn State tight end Andrew Quarless looked fluid as a receiver and blocked with aggression. South Florida linebacker Kion Wilson was strong as a run-stopper in the middle. But those three solidified reputations they built during their careers.

The following players did the most to enhance -- or hurt -- their draft stocks during this week's practices. For those with disappointing showings, the film from Saturday's game has become all the more critical to be considered for late-round draft status.

Risers

OT Roger Saffold, Indiana
        It's hard to argue anyone but Saffold was the best player on the field this week. He was strong, moved his feet well in pass protection and when drive-blocking gave good effort through the end of plays, and was mobile enough to hit targets at the second level. Some scouts will project him inside, but it appears the 3½-year starter at left tackle should at least get a chance to prove he can handle those responsibilities. A third-round selection seems likely for Saffold at this point in the process.

DT Torrell Troup, Central Florida
        Playing near his home UCF campus, Troup had his way with Canadian guard Matt Morencie and West Liberty center Ben Staggs in one-on-one drills, using his strength and violent hands to knock them backward or to the side on his way to where the quarterback would be in the pocket. Morencie and Staggs are fair athletes but lack the strength to handle Troup -- they shouldn't worry too much, however, as the Golden Knights' foes found him a tough ask all season long.

WR Freddie Barnes, Bowling Green
        With the East quarterbacks lacking great accuracy, Barnes received many chances to show off his ability to catch the ball outside his frame. He extended to snatch a fastball from Fordham's Josh Skelton over the middle, earning affirming nods from scouts watching the play. In contrast to some of the other receivers on the field for the East team, his strong hands and crisp routes were eye-opening to those not familiar with Barnes' game.

WR Verran Tucker, Cal
        A hamstring injury ended a promising week for Tucker, who looked quick and sure-handed over the first two days of practice. The 6-1, 194-pounder ran better routes than expected, coming back to the ball and catching from his body. Fellow Pac-10 receiver Terrence Austin took Tucker's spot, and while not very quick off the line, displayed good...
        -01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
      • Nick
        2017 Senior Bowl: Underrated South WRs, North's Reddick shine on Wednesday
        by Nick
        2017 Senior Bowl: Underrated South WRs, North's Reddick shine on Wednesday
        NFL teams have different plans for Haason Reddick, and he's showing he could fit anywhere
        by Dane Brugler & Rob Rang 21h ago • 8 min read

NFL teams value versatility. But there is a difference between being versatile and then not having a true position. Temple linebacker Haason Reddick (6-foot-1 1/2, 237 pounds) is trying to show that he belongs in the former of the two categories with his performance this week in Mobile, Alabama.

And through two practices, Reddick, who debuted at No. 38 overall on my initial top-50 board, has lived up to expectations.

Reddick was primarily used as an edge player this season at Temple, standing up or rushing with his hand on the ground as a defensive end. He would occasionally stand up as an off-ball linebacker, but mostly as a spy, limiting the opportunities for scouts to evaluate him in coverage.

During Wednesday's practice, Reddick was used on rushing, blitzing and off-ball linebacker drills, showing his wide range of abilities. As a rusher, blockers had a tough time slowing him down thanks to his initial burst and flexibility to dip around the edge. He got the best of Pittsburgh offensive tackle Adam Bisnowaty on a quick inside move that left the Pitt blocker helpless to counter. During pass pro drills for the running backs, Reddick blitzed from different angles and made several of the backs attempting to slow him down look silly.

The telling test this week for Reddick is his ability to hold up in coverage drills. It is obvious he is still feeling out the position as an inside linebacker, taking things slowly as he figures out where his eyes need to be. When asked to cover running backs out of the backfield, Reddick was a tad wild with his lower body, but even though he gave up initial spacing, his athleticism allowed him to recover in flash, knocking the ball away.

Some teams will view Reddick as an edge rusher while others will look for him to make the full transition to inside linebacker. Regardless, he has shown this week that his athleticism allows him to be a quick study with new responsibilities.

Temple has produced only one NFL player drafted in the top 50 over the past two decades (Muhammad Wilkerson, 30th overall to Jets in 2011), but Reddick is on his way to being the second.
        More observations from Wednesday's North practice:

The tight end group on the South squad receives most of the attention, and rightfully so, with a roster that boasts O.J. Howard, Evan Engram and Gerald Everett. But Florida International's Jonnu Smith (6-foot-2 3/4, 245 pounds) deserves praise thrown his way for his performances this week during practice. He is an athletic route runner with a smooth release and sharp footwork in and out of his breaks to create room to work as a pass-catcher. Smith is guilty of allowing...
        -01-26-2017, 02:31 PM
      • Nick
        CBS Sports 2018 Senior Bowl Articles and Practice Reports
        by Nick
        Senior Bowl 2018: Winners and losers from Tuesday's weigh-in at Mobile
        Chris Trapasso
        CBSSports.com Jan 23, 2018 • 3 min read

Senior Bowl festivities kicked off early Tuesday morning with the perpetually awkward weigh-in session in which all participants walk across a large stage and get measured in front of hundreds of team employees and media members.

And while draft-stock fluctuation will mostly occur during the week of practices and the game on Saturday, there were some winners and losers from the Mobile weigh-in, as the physical measurements remain an important part of the pre-draft process.

Heights are listed in "6023" form, with the last number representing eighths of an inch. So, 6023 would be 6-foot-2 and 3/8 of an inch.

Winners
        Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA

Weigh-in: 6057 / 259 / 34" arms

Some believed Davenport's listed size at 6-foot-7 and 255 pounds was slightly exaggerated. Turns out, it wasn't stretched that much. Combine his nearly 6-6 frame with long, 34-inch arms and you have one enormous defensive end.

Perspective: Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter measured in at 6051 and 251 pounds with 34 1/2-inch arms at the 2015 combine.

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma

Weigh-in: 6013 / 243 / 34 1/2" arms

For an "undersized" outside rusher, Okoronkwo measuring in at over 6-1 and north of 240 pounds is important. For many teams, those are the thresholds for edge-rushers. Beyond that, Okoronkwo's 34 1/2-inch arms are tentacle-like. Relatively speaking, the Oklahoma star is still on the smaller side of the outside pass-rusher spectrum, but his length can be likened to other, much bigger NFL pass-rushers.

Perspective: At last year's combine, Cardinals' first-round pick Haason Reddick measured in at 6012 and 237 pounds but only had 32 3/4-inch arms.

Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC

Weigh-in: 6020 / 245 / 33 1/2" arms

Nwosu is the other "smaller but productive" outside linebacker in this class with fringe first-round talent and collegiate film. For him to hit 6-2 and 245 pounds is a huge win for him. His 33 1/2-inch arms mean he has enough length to keep offensive linemen off his frame.

Perspective: Von Miller's official size at the combine was 6025 and 245 pounds with 33 1/2-inch arms.

Levi Wallace, CB, Alabama

Weigh-in: 6003 / 176 / 33 3/8" arms

Ok, so Wallace could stand to gain some weight at the next level. And he will. That won't be a problem for an NFL strength and conditioning program. But those arms will be tantalizing to many scouts, general managers, and defensive coordinators. Length at the cornerback spot is often seen as the catalyst for plays on the football. Wallace snagged three picks and knocked down 15 passes in 2017. ...
        -01-28-2018, 05:30 AM
      • Nick
        The Official 2013 Senior Bowl Thread
        by Nick
        Please keep all Senior Bowl related news contained in this one thread!

Weigh ins and measurements taking place right now! Let's get some numbers, people!

Senior Bowl Top-20 Preview
        Sunday, January 20, 2013

With a record 73 underclassmen declaring for the draft, the number of top college players using all four years of eligibility is dwindling. Despite a few big-name dropouts (QB Geno Smith, QB Matt Barkley, G Chance Warmack, WR Tavon Austin, DT Star Lotulelei, ILB Manti Te’o, OLB Dion Jordan, CB Johnthan Banks, S Kenny Vaccaro) the 2013 Senior Bowl remains loaded with early-round talent.

The Senior Bowl squads will be coached by two current NFL staffs (Lions and Raiders), adding an extra dimension to their evaluations. Be sure to keep in mind which prospects get called up due to injuries, as A.J. Jenkins and Alfred Morris were two examples last year.

Just like my Shrine Week coverage, I will be constantly tweeting (@JoshNorris) and producing frequent articles. For now, here is a position-by-position preview along with my top 20 prospects (excluding QBs) entering the week.

All heights and weights are projected until weigh-ins take place early Monday.

1. DE Ezekiel Ansah (6’5/270), BYU - The sky is the limit for this inexperienced, not raw, prospect. I’d expect to see Ansah practice from an end position, inside, and as a pass rusher in a two point stance. “Ziggy” flashes technical aspects to his game, including strong hands and length, but the Cougar is at his best when displaying the draft’s top closing burst to make an impact in the backfield. Fatigue issues may be Ansah’s biggest hurdle.

2. T Eric Fisher (6’7/305), Central Michigan - Plenty of attention surrounds texas A&M Luke Joeckel, and deservedly so, but I expect Fisher to make a statement this week as a potential top-10 pick. While the rest of the Central Michigan offensive line crumbled, Fisher stood tall and consistently limited the opposition’s top pass rusher with length and balance.

3. LB Arthur Brown (6’1/231), Kansas State - This draft’s top inside linebacker, Brown will likely see practice reps in the middle of the formation and on the weakside. The former Hurricane transfer is quick to close and nasty when needing to make contact against blockers. He can do it all and should be a first-round selection.

4. T Lane Johnson (6’6/303), Oklahoma - The Sooner finally found a home at left tackle in 2011, and consistently displayed excellent footwork with strong hands to punch and length to control. He reminds me of a longer Riley Reiff and could cement a top-25 grade with a strong week against the likes of Ansah and LaVar Edwards.

5. WR Quinton Patton (6’2/195), Louisiana Tech - The smooth receiver is one of the class’ best, contorting his body to adjust to poorly thrown passes and creating separation with excellent routes....
        -01-21-2013, 06:41 AM
      Working...
      X