• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Tyrann Mathieu admits to failing more than 10 drug tests

Report: Tyrann Mathieu admits to failing more than 10 drug tests
    By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer
    April 12, 2013 10:49 am ET

Mathieu was dismissed from LSU in August 2012. (USATSI) Tyrann Mathieu was dismissed from LSU in August 2012. (USATSI)

As former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu continues to visit with teams in preparation for the NFL Draft, more details of his once-hazy college misdeeds continue to surface.

An NFL assistant coach told USA Today about a conversation a team had with Mathieu during his pre-draft visit.

“During one visit, Mathieu was asked how many drug tests he failed before he was suspended in college,” wrote USA Today. “According to an assistant coach for the team, Mathieu responded: ‘I quit counting at 10. I really don't know.'”

Later in the day, Mathieu responded through LSU's sports information department.

According to the release, "Mathieu said the story does not accurately reflect the discussions that he has had while on official visits to various NFL organizations."

“It is irresponsible and shows a lack of integrity for anyone to disclose medical information regardless of how it was gathered,” Mathieu said. “I would expect that conversations regarding my drug testing history during the course of my medical treatment would be private. LSU has a strong drug testing program and LSU went to great lengths to help me in my treatment and recovery. I understand that many people enjoy reading about the negative side of sports, but to publish those second-hand comments without being given a chance to address that comment prior to the publication of the article is irresponsible.”

It should be noted, though, that Mathieu necessarily doesn't dispute what has been reported, namely that he said he stopped counting after 10 failed drug tests.

Mathieu said at the NFL Combine that he has been drug-free since October.

“I've been to rehab. I have counseling. I have a sponsor," he said in February. "I know what it's like to be humiliated. To go back down that road? Not a chance in my lifetime."

After having a good workout at the combine and then later at his pro day, he's most likely giving that same message to the 10 or so NFL teams that he has met with.

As his agent says, Mathieu is treating these visits like job interviews and trying to present himself as a professional. And if that means being completely honest about his past transgressions, that's what needs to happen.

But 10 failed drugs tests? Should we be looking at what the heck was going on at LSU?

"If he flunked 10 tests before they suspended him, it shows that he got no kind of help," the anonymous coach told USA Today.

“LSU has a strong substance abuse program that tries to identify and assist in the treatment and long term recovery process of drug use and abuse, and it is a program we would put up against any in the country,” said Joe Alleva, LSU's athletic director: “Once a substance abuse problem is identified, LSU is diligent in tracking those individuals over extended periods of time with frequent testing and engages them in meaningful opportunities for support through counseling and substance abuse treatment.”

Said LSU coach Les Miles at the time of Mathieu's dismissal from the team last August: “He gave us a lot of examples that we can learn from, and I think that he's a quality, quality guy who had a behavior issue and that's it.”

But what does this mean for Mathieu's future in the league?

NFLDraftScout.com ranks Mathieu as the 12th-best cornerback in the draft and projects him as a third-round pick.

Ten failed drug tests seems a lot. But if teams are just now hearing about Mathieu's reported revelation, that would be an even bigger surprise.

Re: Report: Tyrann Mathieu admits to failing more than 10 drug tests

Like Jenkins last year, Mathieu is the best secondary playmaker in this years draft.

Comment

I think Mathieu is A LOT more mature than Jjenkz at this point last year, we'll see how it plays out.

Comment

Tyrann was interviewed on espn radio yesterday, and was asked specifically about the "quit counting over 10" remark he allegedly made. He denied that he ever specified a particular number, but admitted to multiple offenses.

What is more important than the number of offenses in the past, is where his head is now. Did he eventually get the right help, and has the "light" finally gone on for him? Hopefully the answer is yes ..

Comment

Not too shur if fish would actually draft mathieu or not I just think he fits in well with Finnegan, Jenkins and Johnson. 4th corner, punt returner and kick coverage with outstanding instincts and ball skills-- worth the risk?

Comment

As I have stated in other threads the combo of Eric Reid and Tyrann would be a possiable home run. They played off each other in the past and were a real good combo. I think he (the Honey Badger) is well worth the risk, as I am confident in Fish and Snead to keep him on the bright path. Nice to have guys with instant chemistry especially as we have many holes to fill yet on our roster.

Comment

I'm sure a lot of his draft potential potential has to do with what drugs he tested positive for. It shows stupidity to fail a drug test that many times but if the only drug he used was weed then I'm all for drafting him. If its anything more than that then take a pass on him until maybe the 6th or 7th round.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

“I've been to rehab. I have counseling. I have a sponsor," he said in February. "I know what it's like to be humiliated. To go back down that road? Not a chance in my lifetime."
                What a joke! Counseling for weed? I understand this is about his image but its just pathetic that we make such a deal about a trivial thing like marijuana while alcohol is legal. I digress...

Comment

Originally posted by FestusRam View Post
                  What a joke! Counseling for weed? I understand this is about his image but its just pathetic that we make such a deal about a trivial thing like marijuana while alcohol is legal. I digress...
                  Regardless of your personal view on it (I have personally never smoked it, but don't care if others do), it is still not allowed by the NFL, and failed drug tests means he would be off the field. Yes yes, I know, Janoris Jenkins, but everyone is different, just because one person stopped doesn't mean the other will too.

Also, it might take counseling for some. It may not be physically addictive, but the stuff can be mentally addictive. I've seen people fail drug tests they knew were coming up because they couldn't stop for even a week. I mean seriously, how do you not just stop when you know you have a test? That implies to me a deeper rooted habit than one that can just be tossed aside at will. I mean heck, people have trouble not biting their finger nails, and need assistance with that, why would weed be different?

The important thing is for Tyrann to realize his career is more important than smoking out, and much more lucrative too. Once his playing career is over, he can smoke himself silly if he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by berg8309 View Post
                    Regardless of your personal view on it (I have personally never smoked it, but don't care if others do), it is still not allowed by the NFL.
                    I know it is. Its completely understandable that the NFL bans its. Its illegal. That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about the whole view of it, but I don't want to get too off topic. But, I'd have a hard time drafting a guy who failed more than 10 times and didn't even care to remember how many times exactly.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Rambos
                      'Honey Badger' dismissed from LSU
                      by Rambos
                      Not sure where to put this....

Stunning news has come out of Baton Rouge today as defensive back Tyrann Mathieu, a Heisman Trophy finalist last season, has been booted from the LSU football team.

Tigers head coach Les Miles has just announced at a press conference that the "Honey Badger" has been dismissed for violations of team policy.

Mathieu was suspended last year for one game for reportedly using synthetic marijuana. LSU never confirmed the specific reason of the suspension.

With Mathieu gone, junior Tharold Simon is the only cornerback of significant experience on the roster. The team has three true freshmen and one redshirt freshman at the position on the depth chart.
                      -08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
                    • Chiledog
                      Palmeiro doesn't know how substance got into his body
                      by Chiledog
                      Yea, right!

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rafael Palmeiro poked his finger in the air for emphasis and raised his voice with all the indignation of a man falsely accused.

"I have never used steroids. Period," he told a congressional panel in March.

On Monday, nearly five months later, the Baltimore Orioles slugger became baseball's highest-profile player to be suspended 10 days for using steroids.

While he didn't deny testing positive for the drugs, he insisted that ingesting them was an accident.

"When I testified in front of Congress, I know that I was testifying under oath and I told the truth," he said during a telephone conference call Monday. "Today I am telling the truth again that I did not do this intentionally or knowingly."

The 40-year-old Palmeiro became the seventh player to fail a test under the toughened major league policy that took effect in March, rules criticized by Congress as not being stringent enough.

On July 15, Palmeiro joined Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Eddie Murray as the only players with 3,000 hits and 500 homers. Baseball would not say when the positive test occurred.

Without giving specifics, the four-time All-Star left the impression that the banned substance was contained in a supplement that was not prescribed. He said it was an "embarrassing situation" and still did not know what caused the positive test.

"Why would I do this in a year when I went in front of Congress and I testified and I told the truth?" he said. "Why would I do this during a season where I was going to get to 3,000 hits? It just makes no sense. ... I'm not a crazy person."

Palmeiro, who is currently in ninth place on the all-time home runs list with 569, wouldn't predict whether his chances of being elected to the Hall of Fame were damaged.

"Really, that's not for me to determine," he said. "I hope that people look at my whole career and appreciate that I've given everything that I've got. ... I respect the Hall of Fame, and if they think that I'm worthy enough, I would be very honored. And if they don't, I gave it all that I had to this game."

Appearing with Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and other baseball stars before a congressional committee on March 17, Palmeiro made an opening statement in which he said, pointing his finger for emphasis: "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never."

Palmeiro also expressed indignation over accusations made by former slugger Jose Canseco, who cited Palmeiro as a steroid user in his tell-all book. In an interview on the CBS television show 60 Minutes, Canseco -- who also testified before Congress -- said he had injected Palmeiro with steroids.

-08-01-2005, 09:03 PM
                    • MauiRam
                      Pompei's Blitz: No Saffold Trade--Snead Character Tolerance
                      by MauiRam
                      by Dan Pompei
                      April 21, 02013

In today’s draft, it may be better to be perceived as a character risk than as a medical risk or athletic risk. On this, multiple general managers agree.

“The NFL used to really punish those guys with character flaws,” one GM said. “They don’t anymore to the same degree.”

Once upon a time, if a prospect had made a couple of missteps, many teams just took him off the board. Now, hardly anyone gets taken off a board, though players get flagged.

There are a number of reasons for this phenomenon, which this week is likely to help draft prospects who have not always walked the straight and narrow.

Among them:

*Too few prospects are squeaky clean anymore. “You turn that card over, you eliminate one third of the players,” one GM said.

*NFL teams have come to think that not every player who once was deemed a character risk necessarily is a threat to the fiber of the team, or even to himself.

“In years past, say five years ago, anything negative was determined to be bad character,” Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. “It was a broader spectrum. It was all lumped in together. Now we look at every situation specifically. Then you have your categories, some you can tolerate.”

Even players who fall under the same violation umbrella are being viewed individually. “It’s hard to lump a guy into a category because something happened to him and say there is something wrong with him,” Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said. “We need to dig deep into every circumstance, particularly if it’s a talented player who fits us, and then make an individual assessment of the player.”

Teams know more about character missteps than ever before, thanks to more sophisticated investigative techniques, social media and the histories of other players. “Now we have more information,” Newsome said. “We can look back at other guys who were similar and say, how did this guy do once he got into the league?”

The types of behavior breeches NFL teams are seeing may be different than they were ten years ago. “With more education for players in their early years, we are seeing fewer barroom brawls, assault on women, things like that,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. “There still are party issues, marijuana issues and some theft. But in general, there are fewer criminal issues.”

*Marijuana use generally is not a deal breaker anymore.

Multiple GMs said about half the kids they interview in the pre-draft process either admit they have used marijuana, or have a documented failed drug test in their records. They also estimate that between 60 and 70 percent of NFL players smoke weed.

“Marijuana use is a lot more prevalent today,” Mayhew said. “You have to be aware of. It is a major concern when you talk about adding a guy to...
                      -04-21-2013, 06:16 PM
                    • RamWraith
                      Records detail Steussie's steroid use
                      by RamWraith
                      By Jim Thomas
                      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                      08/29/2006

WHAT HAPPENED A newspaper reports that medical records show several instances in which the Rams' Todd Steussie obtained illegal steroids while with Carolina and Tampa Bay.

Medical records made public in court documents showed that Rams offensive tackle Todd Steussie obtained illegal steroids on multiple occasions as a Carolina Panther and Tampa Bay Buccaneer from convicted doctor James Shortt.

According to the Charlotte Observer, court documents showed seven instances in which Steussie received prescriptions for items such as testosterone cream or humane growth hormone from Shortt.

Along with several other former Panthers, Steussie's name has been linked to Shortt for more than 18 months. But the Observer report in Sunday's editions provides details about the timing and frequency of the prescriptions.

According to the Observer, Steussie had three prescriptions for testosterone cream from Shortt between March 1, 2003, and March 16, 2004, with each prescription renewable five times.

"This wasn't just a passing flirtation with these prohibited substances," Dr. Gary Wadler told the Observer. "When I see (prescriptions) renewed five times, I say, 'What are you trying to accomplish?' "

Wadler is a steroids expert who reviewed the medical records for the U.S. Attorney's office.

Steroids can improve strength, muscle mass and endurance of athletes. But steroid use also is linked to several health problems, including heart disease, stroke, high-blood pressure and liver disorders.

Three of the five starting offensive linemen for the Panthers' 2003 Super Bowl team were mentioned in the Observer report as obtaining steroids prescriptions from Shortt. Besides Steussie, one of those starters was Kevin Donnalley, a St. Louis native who is now out of football.

According to the Observer, the medical records show that Steussie and a former Panthers teammate -- Louis Williams -- were given prescriptions for a total of five banned substances little more than a week before Carolina appeared in Super Bowl XXXVIII against New England. The paper also reported that Steussie received a prescription for testosterone cream on March 16, 2004, or one day after he signed a six-year, $20 million free-agent contract with Tampa Bay.

Steussie, now 35, hasn't been a full-time starter in the NFL since the 2003 season with Carolina, and hasn't started a game since 2004. He was released by the Buccaneers last March after two seasons with Tampa Bay.

On April 14, Steussie signed a one-year deal with the Rams worth $850,000 -- the veterans' minimum base salary of $810,000, plus a $40,000 signing bonus. He is the team's No. 3 tackle, backing up starters Orlando Pace and Alex Barron....
                      -08-29-2006, 04:25 AM
                      The amazing transformation of Carmen Policy, defender of mobsters,....
                      by Guest
                      Charmed
                      The amazing transformation of Carmen Policy, defender of mobsters, babysitter to flashy kid moguls, and now savior of the Cleveland Browns
                      BY MIKE TOBIN

The parade ended with thousands of revelers amassed at Public Square for an afternoon pep rally, cheering for Browns old and new. They saw Mayor Michael White bark. Alongside White, team owner Al Lerner, President and CEO Carmen Policy, and Coach Chris Palmer sat on a stage 10 feet above a wall of police fencing and concrete barriers, as safely ensconced from the masses as the Ku Klux Klan would be some 22 hours later.

Policy looked relaxed as he stepped to the podium and called Cleveland the "Rocky Balboa of the great American sports cities." And why not? Policy is used to throngs of adoring football fans. The undersized Youngstown native has been gridiron royalty since the early '90s, when the San Francisco ***** he helped build continued as one of the elite franchises of professional sports.

But Public Square holds other, darker memories for Policy. The stage was only a few hundred feet from the federal and county courthouses where, in his previous life as a slick and gifted criminal defense attorney, Policy spent months at a time defending some of the most notorious mobsters between New York and Chicago.

Before the speeches and pep talks, fans and VIPs alike watched a brief video about the team's namesake, Paul Brown, on a temporary Jumbotron screen. WEWS-TV sportscaster Dyrol Joyner introduced the clip by asking the frenzied crowd, "Can you really understand where you came from?... Let's take a look back and see where it all started years ago."

Joyner's directive could be usefully applied to Policy as well.

Despite all the accolades, the overwhelming praise, the regal bearing and undeniable charm, there are some interesting and even unsettling questions about the man the Sporting News hailed as the NFL Executive of the Year in 1994.

Some of the events in Policy's past are simply overlooked-but-interesting nuggets, like the starring role he played in one of the most sensational trials in Cleveland history, that of the killers of Danny Greene. Or how Policy whined that a known killer and mobster he represented was being victimized by the Justice Department.

Other questions are tougher. Like why his name was mentioned repeatedly, and often cryptically, in secretly recorded 1980 conversations after mobsters laundered money through Policy's law partner. Or what Policy might have known about alleged links between the gangsters he represented and one of his biggest business clients. Or why so many of his business partners wind up in trouble with the law.

Policy will not answer these or any other questions about his past. A Browns spokesman turned down a request for an interview, saying Policy does not have the time.
                      -09-24-2004, 01:51 PM
                    Working...
                    X