2014 Rookie QB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Rookie QB

With Bradford down and Fisher still believing that he's the future QB of the Rams, which prospect are you most interested in?
    Marcus Mariota, Oregon
    12.50%
    Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
    6.25%
    Tajh Boyd, Clemson
    12.50%
    Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
    6.25%
    David Fales, San Jose State
    12.50%
    Derek Carr, Fresno State
    18.75%
    Aaron Murray, Georgia
    0.00%
    AJ McCarron, Alabama
    6.25%
    Other (Please specify)
    25.00%

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Boyd, on Day 2 of the draft.

Comment

Re: 2014 Rookie QB

It was a coin flip between Derek Carr and Aaron Murray but I'm going with Derek Carr. His stock may go down due to his brother's reputation but I think that's all smokescreen because it brother was in a HORRIBLE situation in Houston. There are some inconsistency with his plays but I see a QB with 1st round upside that could be grabbed in the mid rounds.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Comment

Chuckie Keaton. Tore his ACL earlier this month but i think he could be a stud and a great back up for us. Woulda been a 3rd-4th rounder at the pace he was going till the injury. He reminds me of a cross between Russell Wilson and colin Kraperdick. I like Devin Gardner in the 5th also.

Comment

I went with Fales at SJS, as I really feel we need OL and WR in RD1; and as of now I think Fales can be gotten after rd1 and if the Rams want a traditional passer. If the NFL wants to evolve into the college game, and thats how QB play will be from now on, then perhaps Boyd.

Comment

Kevin Hogan, Stanford in the 7th round.

Comment

Right now I like the group of Carr, McCarron, and Murray for rounds 3-4. McCarron in particular for the context of how he would fit on our team. I think he would be able to step in and manage our team while making smart decisions, if Bradford would have to come out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by punahou View Post
                I went with Fales at SJS, as I really feel we need OL and WR in RD1; and as of now I think Fales can be gotten after rd1 and if the Rams want a traditional passer. If the NFL wants to evolve into the college game, and thats how QB play will be from now on, then perhaps Boyd.
                I have watched this guy for two years now. Could be a good QB in the pros if developed correctly......probably a 3rd round pick.....

Comment

Stephen Morris round 2/3.

Comment

Jimmy Garopollo (See my mock).

Comment

If he declares, Sean Mannion, ORE ST.

Go Rams!

Comment

Fales, Carr, Bortles, Garopollo, Murry or McCarron all would work just depends on when we take one. Personally I'd like a tackle(Matthews, Kuoandjio, Richardson or Erving) and Ha-Ha Dix in the first. A guard that could come in and start in the second. A QB in the 3rd we can develop, if there isn't one there look for bpa among DT, G or CB. Fales or Bortles in the 3rd would be great.
                        The restoration is complete!

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                          Boyd, on Day 2 of the draft.
                          Boyd is a bum that can't throw.....and I guaranteed Marroita and Hundley have better careers lined up over Bridgewater

Comment

Originally posted by richtree View Post

Boyd is a bum that can't throw.....and I guaranteed Marroita and Hundley have better careers lined up over Bridgewater
                            Yeah... I kind of moved on from Boyd after the FSU game. I'm now in the Garoppolo camp.

Comment

Looking at this year's class, I'd say its a bad year for teams who need an immediate starter/franchise QB, but a decent year for teams that want to take a flyer on a QB in the mid to late portion of the draft.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                                NFL GM: 2014 QB class not as good as some think
                                by Nick
                                NFL GM: 2014 QB class not as good as some think
                                According to one exec, Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr and Manziel remind him of Ponder, Locker and Gabbert
                                By Jason Cole
                                January 21, 2014, 06:14 PM EST

The 2014 draft may not be as heavy on quarterbacks at the top of the draft as many people have been projecting. According to three general managers who have a serious interest in what happens with the quarterbacks, passers such as Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr and Johnny Manziel may not end up going as quickly as many draftniks have suggested.

And the most damning analysis came Tuesday morning when one of them said: “This group is reminding me a lot of the first round in 2011, except there’s no Cam Newton.”

The 2011 NFL draft featured four quarterbacks being selected in the first round. Newton went No. 1 overall before Jake Locker went No. 8, Blaine Gabbert at 10 and Christian Ponder at 12. All three of those players have flopped after only three years in the league. Their teams (Minnesota, Tennessee and Jacksonville) are all looking to draft quarterbacks again this year.

In hindsight, all of the general managers questioned about this draft say that the group in 2011 is proof of the pratfalls of reaching for a player.

“A couple of things happened with that class that I think will make some teams hesitant this year,” one of them said. “First, the desperation to get somebody forced those guys up the board a lot higher. Second, the desperation also forced those team to play those guys before they were ready and before they had talent around them to make it easier.

“You look back at it and say, ‘Be more patient.’”

Will that happen in a league where finding a quarterback is paramount to success? The an-swer is probably not. Starting with Houston at No. 1 overall, Jacksonville at No. 3 and Cleveland at No. 5, there are plenty of teams in need.

Yet, there is some belief that the difference between the quarterbacks perceived to go at the top of the first round and the ones who are likely to be in the second or third round is so small that waiting is wise. Players such as A.J. McCarron, Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger, David Fales and James Garoppolo are expected to be in that group later in the draft.

“The difference between all those guys is about this much,” one of the GMs said, holding his forefinger and thumb about a half-inch apart. “If that’s how you see it, why not wait?”

Furthermore, Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr and Manziel each have their issues. There are con-cerns about Bortles’ accuracy, Bridgewater’s lack of size and quiet personality, Carr’s pocket pres-ence and Manziel’s personality.

Or as one GM put it: “I’m telling you right now, don’t be surprised if those guys start to fall. It’s just like last year at this time when we all thought Geno Smith was going No. 1 overall and then...
                                -01-21-2014, 04:21 PM
                              • Nick
                                Brandt: QB Manziel and WR Evans will declare for 2014 Draft
                                by Nick
                                As Brandt said, probably not a surprise, but closest thing to confirmation so far....
                                -12-30-2013, 10:20 AM
                              • Barry Waller
                                One More Reason For Rams NOT To Take a QB High in 2014
                                by Barry Waller
                                Actually it's a number of reasons in one, a number of PLAYERS at the QB position that are better prospects than this year's crop who look ro come out in 2015.

If all eight of the teams needing QBs get one this year, not to mention veterans who might fill positions on teams needing QB in 2015, guys unsigned like Alex Smith, or guys replaced by rookies drafted this year, the needs won't be there at that position in 2015.

NEXT year is when t hey will need to make a decision ob Br adford, AFTER he shows he is healthy and plays well.

If he does NOT, the Rams have a high pick in 2015, surely high enough to get their next QB if Bradford isn't the guy.

Maybe a guy they take later this year turns out to be a steal too, but if that need is great in 2015, you have your choice of Brett Hundley, Marcus Mariotta, Kevin Hogan, Jeff Driskel and of course Jameis Winston.

And that's BEFORE some other NCAA passer bursts on the scene like Bortles, or Garopollo did this year.

That future bumper crop of QBs in what should be a weaker draft than 2014 overall would be a Godsend for the Rams if they really want to move on from Bradford.

Even if the Rams draft a QB now, he won't play much, if at all in 2014, another reason to wait till this big, strong armed, and mobile group hits the draft in 2015.
                                -05-07-2014, 01:43 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Which of the following QBs will start the greatest number of games in 2014?
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                Lots of subtext to this question... I'm curious what the responses/votes will look like.
                                Sam Bradford
                                64.10%
                                Robert Griffin, III
                                5.13%
                                Johnny Manziel
                                7.69%
                                Michael Vick
                                0.00%
                                Matt Schaub
                                20.51%
                                Josh McCown
                                2.56%
                                -03-28-2014, 08:24 AM
                              • RamsFanSam
                                The Rams and the coming 2014 QB controversy...
                                by RamsFanSam
                                You know it's going to happen - and so do I. So, why not go ahead and start the discussion?

The Rams coaching staff got a slap in the face from reality last week. All teams prepare for their starting QB to miss one or two games, just in case they get a bruised rib, or twist their ankle. However, very few teams prepare for a season-ending injury to take out their QB with barely a third of the season behind them. The teams that DO prepare for this usually have a seasoned veteran eating up a chunk of the cap, hoping that their name will never be called. Other teams put all their stock in a big-name QB, and pray that everything will be fine.

The Rams are one of the teams that risks everything on a big name QB. Notice I say "risks", not "risked". The reason for this is that it is NOT the first time a situation like this has occurred. Think back to 1999...the Rams sign a great QB, one that would lead us out of the cesspool of mediocrity or worse, and make the Rams respectable again. Then, before the season ever started, it was ended by Rodney Harrison. When Trent Green went down, EVERYONE knew it was over for the Rams.

Except it wasn't. We had a guy on the roster (he hadn't been cut yet) that had really made an impression on Vermiel in 1998. His stats show just how good he was - 4/11 for 39 yards, a 36.4 completion rate, and 0 TD's. Yeah. Our season was over...except...

It wasn't. That really lousy QB from '98 was Kurt Warner.

That isn't going to happen in 2013. We don't have a Kurt Warner available. We have Kellen Clemens, Brady Quinn, and Austin Davis. Personally, I think Davis is the only one of the three that might help us come close to a winning season. We only need to win 5 games to hit that 8-8, but let's be real. It probably won't happen.

What WILL happen is an offseason that will cause the next QB controversy in the NFL. The Rams will be forced to address the backup QB issue, simply because of too many "unknowns". True, they say that Sam will be back in 2014, and he will be our QB. But, I know from experience that knee repair surgery doesn't always end up as expected. Sometimes, the surgeon finds more damage than was suspected. Other times, the knee doesn't heal as expected. Hopefully, Sam can have his surgery performed by Dr. James Andrews...he's good. Really good. The only problem is that he's the Redskins team doctor - and I don't know how the NFL feels about one team's sawbones cutting on another team's players. (Maybe we can trade them back one of their picks if he does a great job on Sam's knee, getting him back in shape before next season...).

What will end up happening is Sam will get the surgery, and begin physical therapy. We will hear the usual prognosis, and the expected timetable for recovery.

What we won't hear is the conversations going on in the Rams offices. I can guarantee you that they will be...
                                -10-25-2013, 11:43 AM
                              Working...
                              X