Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UW quarterback Brett Smith will enter NFL draft

UW quarterback Brett Smith will enter NFL draft
    Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 9:30 pm | Updated: 10:00 pm, Fri Dec 27, 2013.
    By Robert Gagliardi
    [email protected] | 0 comments

University of Wyoming junior quarterback Brett Smith has decided he will declare for the upcoming NFL Draft and forego his senior season.

He informed University of Wyoming athletics director Tom Burman of his decision late Friday afternoon.

"In all honesty I thought about it for a long time and I just want to pursue the NFL dream," said Smith in a phone interview from his home in Salem, Ore., Friday night.

"It's been my dream since I was a little kid to be an NFL quarterback. I have an opportunity now and I want to go try and take it."

Smith said he filed paperwork with the NFL and its scouting department as many college players do after their junior seasons. Smith did not elaborate on what feedback he received or where he may be projected in the 2014 NFL Draft May 8-10.

"Based off the evaluation that didn't have anything to do with it, or not a lot to do with it," Smith said. "At the end of the day I wanted to go and try and take on my biggest dream."

Smith said he has not hired an agent, but plans to do so. He also plans to look for a place to train for the draft.

Smith threw for 3,375 yards and 29 touchdowns in 2013 and completed 62.7 percent of his passes. He also ran for 573 yards and four touchdowns.

Smith is UW's all-time leader in total offense with 10,365 yards. He also is the school-record holder for touchdowns responsible for (97) and touchdown passes (76). His 8,834 passing yards in second in school history.

He set the single-game UW record for total offense with 640 yards against Hawaii on Nov. 23.

Smith said his decision had nothing to do with the firing of coach Dave Christensen after the season-finale at Utah State and the hiring of new coach Craig Bohl.

Smith said he met with Bohl and new offensive coordinator Brent Vigen recently at his home in Oregon, and also met with Bohl a couple of time before that.

"(Bohl) is such a great guy and I'm disappointed I never got to play for him," Smith said.

Bohl and Vigen traveled to Oregon and Washington the weekend of Dec. 21 and 22 to visit both Smith and redshirt sophomore quarterback Jason Thompson and talked with them about the future the program.

Thompson was listed as UW's backup this past season, but redshirted and will have three years of eligibility at UW.

“We wish Brett (Smith) and his family the best as he chases his dream to play at the NFL level,” said Burman in a news release from the school. “Brett has been a great ambassador for our athletics department, our university and the state of Wyoming. We will miss him, and I know Wyoming fans and his teammates will miss him."

Re: UW quarterback Brett Smith will enter NFL draft

From from CBS Sports' Dane Brugler...

Wyoming junior quarterback Brett Smith announced on Friday that he will forego his senior season and enter the 2014 NFL Draft. Although he isn't a well-known NFL prospect, he is an underrated passer who has the talent to be drafted among the top-100 picks.

Smith is ranked as the No. 8 quarterback prospect for May's NFL Draft by NFLDraftScout.com. He is the first underclassman quarterback to officially add his name to the 2014 draft class.

Smith, who is reminiscent of a more controlled version of Johnny Manziel, is a better athlete than given credit with deceiving mobility and very quick feet to be elusive in the pocket and avoid pressure. He has good-enough height and has worked hard to bulk up his frame, spending considerable time in the weight room. Smith scans the field quickly, works through his reads and does an excellent job recognizing soft spots in coverage pre-snap. He is a gutsy competitor who plays the game of football with a chip on his shoulder and he'll win over NFL coaches with his attitude, work ethic and overall football passion.

Smith is extremely confident, but almost to a fault as he tests small passing windows too often, throwing into tight coverage and hoping for a positive play. He has good enough arm strength for the next level, but lacks elite velocity especially when he can't step into his throws. Smith can get jumpy and skittish in the pocket and needs to get his footwork under control. He is a high-completion passer, but his accuracy will dip when throwing on the run.

If Smith played in the SEC or another major conference, he would be a much better known quarterback prospect. A native of Salem, Oregon, he re-wrote the high school record books and was the 2010 Gatorade Oregon Football Player of the Year, but didn't receive much attention from Pac 12 schools. His only FBS-level offers were San Jose State and Wyoming, choosing the Cowboys and starting from day one as a freshman.

Smith leaves Wyoming with several school records, finishing his career with 76 touchdown passes and 97 scores overall. He set new career-bests in 2013 with 3,375 passing yards, 62.7% completions (293-for-467) and 29 passing touchdowns. On Nov. 23, Smith set a new Mountain West and Wyoming single-game record against Hawai'i with 640 yards of total offense (498 passing, 142 rushing) and eight total touchdowns (7 passing, 1 rushing).

Although Smith played well this year, the 2013 season was a disappointment as Wyoming finished 5-7, losing five of the final six games. Smith's announcement comes just weeks after Craig Bohl was named the new head coach at Wyoming, taking over for Dave Christensen, who was fired Dec. 1 after five seasons in Laramie.

Comment

Re: UW quarterback Brett Smith will enter NFL draft

Love it. Great QB to take in rounds 3-5 range for a developmental guy. Would really like seeing this guy carrying a clipboard and spelling Sam in our blowout wins next year.
      The restoration is complete!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
        Smith Takes Long Road to St. Louis
        by RamWraith
        Saturday, May 12, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

By now, almost everybody knows the incredible story of the No. 13 that came to camp with the Rams as a long shot and left as a legend. This story isn’t about that player and the ending has yet to be written, but if it’s ending is anything close to the last one, it will be every bit as heartwarming and just as incredible.

Throwing on the No. 13 practice jersey would seem like bad luck considering the negative connotation that goes with the number. In St. Louis, it’s a number revered for what quarterback Kurt Warner once did with it on his back.

This weekend, at the Rams’ rookie minicamp, the next in the line of players to pull that jersey over the shoulder pads is taking aim at being the next undrafted rookie free agent makes good story.

His name is Shaine Smith. At 6’2, 189 pounds, he cuts a lean, almost lanky shadow that lets you know immediately that he is a wide receiver. At first glance, Smith seems like normal camp fodder, a player who looks the part, but might never get past the training camp stage of the NFL offseason.

But Smith’s journey to St. Louis has been anything but normal. Some would call it arduous, others might say difficult and some might not believe you if you told them.

“I have come a long way from where I have been and I tell ya, it’s hard to say I am in a Rams uniform right now, it’s hard to fathom,” Smith said. “But I worked hard and I always believed and dreamed I would be able to do this.”

Smith had a relatively normal upbringing in San Diego. Although his parents had separated when he was young and his family didn’t have a whole lot of money, Smith was able to make his way through school while excelling on the football field.

Before he could make the next step to college football, though, things began to unravel around him. In 2000, Smith’s mother, Lorraine Taylor, lost her job working at an insurance company in San Diego.

Without that source of income, she was no longer able to pay the rent and provide for Smith and his younger half-brother, Trevor. For the next two months that trio began bouncing around San Diego with no place to call home.

They stayed in hotels when Taylor could afford it, but set up in Taylor’s Honda Civic just as often. Three people in a tiny, four-door car was hardly the ideal living situation.

When Matthew Smith, Shaine’s father, heard about the situation, he set out to find a way to help his son. The only problem was Shaine was on the other side of the country. Matthew Smith lived in Queens, N.Y., and fought to get Shaine to join him.

Smith resisted, opting to live with his football coach and some family friends for two months before finally relenting and moving to be with his father. It was the middle of Smith’s junior season when he caved...
        -05-12-2007, 07:13 PM
      • RamsFan16
        Smith in Familiar Spot
        by RamsFan16
        Smith in Familiar Spot
        Friday, February 24, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

INDIANAPOLIS – In more ways than one, Brad Smith has been in this position before. In fact, it’s almost old hat.

The Missouri quarterback arrived at the NFL combine here this week with hopes of playing quarterback at the game’s highest level. The only problem with that is that Smith is another in a recent string of athletic quarterbacks who are better athletes than quarterbacks.

Although Smith brought the Missouri program from the dregs of the Big 12 Conference back to respectability with a bowl win in his senior season and became the only player in the history of the NCAA to throw for 8,000 yards and run for 4,000, he just doesn’t have what it takes to play quarterback in the NFL in the minds of many NFL scouts and coaches. Those same coaches and scouts would have no problems with Smith working out as a receiver or even a safety.

Still, Smith insisted on working out as a quarterback and he will do so Sunday morning with the hopes that he will show an arm that is strong and accurate enough to complement his tremendous speed.

“I feel like I'm a quarterback and can be a great quarterback down the line in the league with the opportunity to develop and learn a system,” Smith said. “I want to play quarterback, that's where my heart is.”
        In the weeks since he led the Tigers to an Independence Bowl victory against South Carolina, Smith has worked out every day, throwing as many passes as possible. He has been running and says he has been clocking in the low 4.4s in the 40-yard dash.

But running has never been Smith’s problem. He is Missouri’s all-time leading rusher with 4,289 yards and holds almost every other record in school history.

It’s Smith’s ability (or inability) to be consistent in the passing game that has him in a precarious position as he prepares for the draft. Smith has been tinkered and toyed with for all of his time at Missouri, alternately working in a run heavy offense and leading a pass happy unit.

But the numbers point only to a player who is great when the ball is in his hands and average at best when he lets it fly. Smith’s best passing season came as a junior when he completed 60.3 percent of his passes, but he never went above that number and completed a meager 51.8 percent as a junior.

That junior season was also the team’s worst year and the year in which the Missouri coaching staff attempted to tweak the offense the most. Even when Smith was completing passes, they generally were quick hits or dump offs as he averaged less than 6 yards per completion in each of his final three seasons.

For those many reasons, there is one person with some advice for Smith when it comes to changing positions. Corby Jones, the former Missouri quarterback who held most of Smith’s records...
        -02-25-2006, 05:51 PM
      • RamWraith
        Smith gets a chance to start with Rams
        by RamWraith
        By Jim Thomas
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        Sunday, Aug. 06 2006

Paul Smith came into the NFL as an unheralded fifth-round pick out of Texas-El
        Paso.

In six NFL seasons with San Francisco and Detroit, he has only one touchdown on
        his resume.

A fullback-halfback 'tweener, his very modest career totals are 210 yards
        rushing and 182 yards receiving. To put that in perspective, Marshall Faulk has
        topped those rushing and receiving totals in a single game.

Fittingly, Smith joined the Rams with no fanfare May 6, signing a one-year deal
        paying him $585,000 in base salary.

And at Saturday's scrimmage, when the Rams' offensive unit broke the huddle for
        its first play - there was Smith, again minus the fanfare, with the starters.

"I guess they like what I've done at practice," Smith, 28, said. "I'm happy for
        the opportunity to do that. Hopefully, I'll run with it and do well."

Smith learned Friday that he would work with the starting unit - ahead of last
        year's Rams starter, Madison Hedgecock.

Kind of made your day, right?

"Oh yeah," Smith said. "It made my whole year."

Whether Smith holds on to the job remains to be seen. But he has clearly made
        an impression with coach Scott Linehan and his staff.

"A fullback's role is a thankless job," Linehan said. "Paul comes out every
        day, and he tries to put it right on the numbers and put a guy on his back. And
        that's what you're looking for. Plus, he has the ability to catch the ball."

Previously, Smith had carved out a niche for himself in the NFL as a hard-nosed
        special teams player.

"I've always been the wedge-buster, things like that," Smith said. "Setting the
        tempo for games. Sticking my nose in there on lead blocks and things like that."

Over the years, Smith has gotten a few chances at halfback and fullback, for
        three seasons with Steve Mariucci in San Francisco, and then following Mariucci
        to Detroit in 2003.

Smith has been slowed by injuries at times. He missed five weeks in 2002 in San
        Francisco with a hamstring injury. He missed the entire 2004 season in Detroit
        with a shoulder injury.

On the field, whether it was at halfback or fullback, Smith rarely touched the
        football. In 55 NFL games, he has only 46 carries and 18 receptions. His career
        high in receptions - five - came in '03, when Smith's Lions upset the Rams
        30-20 in a regular-season finale that cost St. Louis home-field advantage in
        the playoffs.

But playing fullback, Smith says, "is not about stats. What your running back
        does,...
        -08-07-2006, 05:00 AM
      • Ramblin` Ram
        R.I.P Bubba Smith
        by Ramblin` Ram
        Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT

Charles Aaron “Bubba” Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1967 NFL draft who later found fame as an actor, has died at the age of 66.

After ending an All-American career at Michigan State in 1966, Smith was taken first in the draft by the Baltimore Colts. He played on Baltimore’s defensive line for five years, then was traded to the Oakland Raiders, where he played in 1973 and 1974, and finished his career with the Houston Oilers in 1975 and 1976.

The 6-foot-7, 265-pound Smith was one of the biggest players of his era. He won a ring at Super Bowl V and went to two Pro Bowls.

After retiring, Smith became an actor. He was best known for playing Moses Hightower in the first six Police Academy movies.

One helluva player and a fun actor. R.I.P Bubba
        -08-03-2011, 07:13 PM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Smith Progressing Well
        by r8rh8rmike
        Smith Progressing Well
        Tuesday, August 18, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

After almost every practice since the Rams made him the No. 2 pick in this year’s NFL Draft, Jason Smith can be found out on the practice field doing two things.

First and foremost, Smith has made a habit of staying after practice to work with offensive line coaches Art Valero and Steve Loney on something he feels needed improvement from the just-completed workout.

When that is done, about 20 minutes later, Smith can be found hauling around the pads of his veteran teammates.

“It’s what I am but I am not doing it just to be doing it,” Smith said. “It’s something that I need to work on that day technically or physically. There’s always something to work on.”

Such is the life of a rookie in the NFL. And while those parts of it are normal, Smith’s approach to the game is anything but.

The Rams completed their final two a day practice of this year’s training camp on Tuesday afternoon. With that, the team is almost halfway through the preseason and Smith’s development process is in full swing.

From the moment he arrived in St. Louis, plenty of people have placed some weighty expectations on Smith but the coaching staff has ignored that and asked Smith to earn his position.

Until Tuesday, Smith had extremely limited repetitions with the first team offense as he has worked almost exclusively as the second-team right tackle behind Adam Goldberg.

Nothing has been handed to him and Smith has asked for nothing in return. Instead, Smith is lapping up every opportunity to learn the game from his veteran teammates.

Nary a player has been more helpful in that regard than Goldberg. Although Goldberg and Smith are technically competing for the job at right tackle, neither seems too concerned with beating out the other.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

“I take that as part of my role but I tell you what, he doesn’t need too many tips,” Goldberg said. “He’s going to be a really good football player and he’s a great person too, the kind of guy that you like to help out because he works hard, doesn’t take anything for granted, takes good notes, asks good questions. So he’s the type of young player that you want to help and want to see succeed.”

The modest Goldberg won’t take much credit for helping Smith learn the nuances of the NFL but Smith is quick to credit Goldberg for stepping into the mentor role.

“I feel that if Goldberg wasn’t here I would have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off,” Smith said. “What is the competition? The competition is Rams vs. whoever we play. It’s not amongst each other. Obviously we are going to make each other better by communicating things we see but if he wasn’t here, how far along would I...
        -08-18-2009, 08:23 PM
      Working...
      X