• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagoner: A Look At The Rams' 12 Picks In NFL DRaft

A look at the Rams' 12 picks in NFL draft

April, 3, 2014
    By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Whether it's general manager Les Snead or coach Jeff Fisher, the St. Louis Rams have consistently made it clear this offseason how much they like their current roster.

They've backed up those words by forgoing any major signings in free agency, only recently adding a trio of players to provide depth at quarterback, defensive tackle and wide receiver.

But with a dozen picks in May's NFL draft, it will be interesting to see just how many of those choices get used or if the Rams again move up and down the board in an effort to end up with more quality than quantity. Those 12 selections are tied for the most of any team in the league.

By the fifth round of the 2013 draft, the Rams had completed their business by selecting running back Zac Stacy. They won't be able to duplicate that this year since they have three compensatory picks, one in Round 6 and two in Round 7. Compensatory picks can't be traded.

It is, however, fair to wonder whether the Rams will want to continue trading down to accumulate more picks if they're as happy with the roster as they say they are.

Youd like to say you hit on all 12, but when its all said and done we may not make 12 selections, we dont know, Fisher said.

If indeed the Rams do make a trade down or two in the first round, don't be surprised if they also look to aggressively move up in the later rounds. The draft is considered one of the deepest in years and though they can't trade the three late compensatory selections, it would be logical for the Rams to try to package some of those picks together to get another pick in the range of the fourth or-fifth rounds. Barring that, they could also look to move out of some of those late picks in exchange for late picks in future seasons.

That would give the Rams the chance to have an earlier shot at some of the better players available in those rounds while also preventing them from having to try to find a spot for 14 or 15 drafted rookies.

Here's a look at the Rams' picks in this draft:

Round 1: Nos. 2 and 13
    Round 2: No. 44
    Round 3: No. 75
    Round 4: No. 110
    Round 5: No. 153
    Round 6: Nos. 188 and 214*
    Round 7: Nos. 226, 241, 249*, 250*
    Note: * indicates compensatory selection

Re: Wagoner: A Look At The Rams' 12 Picks In NFL DRaft

To say I'm pumped about our compensatory picks would be an understatement. I know 6th and 7th round picks aren't usually picks to write home about, but lets look take a look at Snead and Fishers short history with late picks.

2013-Zac Stacy
    Rams use 6th and 7th round picks to move up into the 5th and select Stacy. Great trade, great selection. No one can argue that.

2012-Greg Zuerlein, Aaron Brown, Daryl Richardson
    Zuerlein has one of the best legs in the game, and Richardson had great production his rookie season relative to his draft position(pick 252).

I'm excited to see what diamonds in the rough the Rams will find this year with two 6th rounders and four 7th rounders.

Comment

while i don't think he'd fall that far

hoping the rams pick up morgan breslin in the 5th or later

projected in the 5th anyway, but don't let his injuries fool you

definitely worth the look

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
        A look at the Rams' 12 picks in NFL draft

April, 3, 2014
        By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Whether it's general manager Les Snead or coach Jeff Fisher, the St. Louis Rams have consistently made it clear this offseason how much they like their current roster.

They've backed up those words by forgoing any major signings in free agency, only recently adding a trio of players to provide depth at quarterback, defensive tackle and wide receiver.

But with a dozen picks in May's NFL draft, it will be interesting to see just how many of those choices get used or if the Rams again move up and down the board in an effort to end up with more quality than quantity. Those 12 selections are tied for the most of any team in the league.

By the fifth round of the 2013 draft, the Rams had completed their business by selecting running back Zac Stacy. They won't be able to duplicate that this year since they have three compensatory picks, one in Round 6 and two in Round 7. Compensatory picks can't be traded.

It is, however, fair to wonder whether the Rams will want to continue trading down to accumulate more picks if they're as happy with the roster as they say they are.

“You’d like to say you hit on all 12, but when it’s all said and done we may not make 12 selections, we don’t know,’’ Fisher said.

If indeed the Rams do make a trade down or two in the first round, don't be surprised if they also look to aggressively move up in the later rounds. The draft is considered one of the deepest in years and though they can't trade the three late compensatory selections, it would be logical for the Rams to try to package some of those picks together to get another pick in the range of the fourth or-fifth rounds. Barring that, they could also look to move out of some of those late picks in exchange for late picks in future seasons.

That would give the Rams the chance to have an earlier shot at some of the better players available in those rounds while also preventing them from having to try to find a spot for 14 or 15 drafted rookies.

Here's a look at the Rams' picks in this draft:

Round 1: Nos. 2 and 13
        Round 2: No. 44
        Round 3: No. 75
        Round 4: No. 110
        Round 5: No. 153
        Round 6: Nos. 188 and 214*
        Round 7: Nos. 226, 241, 249*, 250*
        Note: * indicates compensatory selection
        If in fact Fisher and Snead are happy with the current roster why trade for more picks? Keep 2,13 and 44 at least, let's get some more marquis players on the roster. If they want to trade up I'm good with that but don't trade any of those picks to move down.
        sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Have to disagree with that - there is very good but not necessarily great talent at the top of the draft. But by all accounts this is one of the deepest drafts in a very long time. Several analysts have said that this is the deepest draft at WR perhaps ever.

So normally at this point in the Rams development I'd agree - but in a really deep draft trading down a bit could really pay off dividends. I'd say consider trading out of 2 and 13, especially if you have guys you think you can get a few spots later. If you trade out of 2, get a 2nd rounder, and still pick up Matthews for example that would be amazing. Because that 2nd rounder could easily be a starter.

But trade up from the bottom rounds to get something in the 4-5th range if you can - worked out great with Stacey last year.

We are going to be stuck with the compensatory picks though, so we definitely have lots of picks in the 7th.

Comment