Who to Cut, Who to Sign?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to Cut, Who to Sign?

I'm constantly flipping my mind on who to release, who to sign in FA, who to trade for.. This is what I'm feeling right now:

Cut:

Rodger Saffold - save 4.2 mill
    Lance Kendricks - save 4.25 mill
    Tre Mason - save 750K
    Eugene Sims - save 2.5 mill
    Tim Barnes - 3 mill

Cap space: 50.5 mill

Re-Sign:

Trumaine Johnson - 5 years 60 million
    Benny Cunningham - 3 years 3 million
    T.J McDonald - 5 years 25 million

Free Agency:

C - J.C Tretter (Packers) - 4 years 16 million - Here's the starting C who is young, has experience, and plays best in a ZBS
    LG - T.J Lang (Packers) - 4 years 34 million - Double dipping the Packers pool, Lang is a little old at 30 but he is an elite Guard
    WR - Pierre Garcon (Redskins) - 3 years 26 million - Logical that McVay dips in his former team, Garcon is only 30 and offers a few years of a good, solid, dependable WR
    CB - Kayvon Webster (Broncos) - 3 years 6.5 million - Webster played under Phillips for 2 years and can compete as a starter here and at worst is an elite ST'er
    OLB - Courtney Upshaw (Falcons) - 1 year 900K - Upshaw is a big tough LB who can play the SLB role on early downs to help stop the run
    OLB - Dekoda Watson (Broncos) - 1 year 900K - Watson can compete at SLB with Upshaw and whoever else we slide there for work and offers ability to rush the passer.. Better, younger, cheaper replacement for a Eugene Sims type player

Total spent (per year): 26 million

Last updated cap: 44 million spent (6 million remaining)

Great!

Not against what you've proposed... but wanted to point out two small concerns just for discussion purposes. If I'm missing something or you have thoughts in response, please share them.

1) This scenario cuts the only on-roster viable alternative to GRob at LT... Saffold. Obviously can't fix everything solely through FA. But if those are the pickups, it possibly creates a "must draft" scenario for a LT. (Which I offer, is not necessarily a bad thing. Protecting Goff's blind spot will never be a bad move via draft, and GRob's tape to date basically dictates it)

2) It also puts a huge strain on WR's since you do not list Quick or Britt as a signing. I worry about Garcon's ability to be productive without a solid contributor on the opposite side. Your scenario puts the top 3 wr's as: Garcon, Tavon, and Thomas. (I say Thomas over Cooper, because he fits the build of an outside wr better than cooper does).

Maybe that last $6 million can go towards getting a solid possession type wr on a 1 or 2 year deal?

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
      Great!

Not against what you've proposed... but wanted to point out two small concerns just for discussion purposes. If I'm missing something or you have thoughts in response, please share them.

1) This scenario cuts the only on-roster viable alternative to GRob at LT... Saffold. Obviously can't fix everything solely through FA. But if those are the pickups, it possibly creates a "must draft" scenario for a LT. (Which I offer, is not necessarily a bad thing. Protecting Goff's blind spot will never be a bad move via draft, and GRob's tape to date basically dictates it)

2) It also puts a huge strain on WR's since you do not list Quick or Britt as a signing. I worry about Garcon's ability to be productive without a solid contributor on the opposite side. Your scenario puts the top 3 wr's as: Garcon, Tavon, and Thomas. (I say Thomas over Cooper, because he fits the build of an outside wr better than cooper does).

Maybe that last $6 million can go towards getting a solid possession type wr on a 1 or 2 year deal?

Thanks Koa!

My responses:

1) Yeah, that's sort of my thinking. Cant address everything in FA, or even 1 off-season. I'd love to go get the future LT of our team but it will be hard this off-season. At worst we can put Greg back out there and hope the new coaching at minimum turns him into an average starter, and if not we can always draft a guy in round 2 or 3 and even though starting him right away would be a dangerous option, we may not have any others.

2) I think Garcon would be fine. He's not a game breaking and gameplan shifting type of wideout, but I fully anticipate us drafting at least 1 WR (I'm thinking in round 2 or 3) and that would give us a depth chart of:

Garcon/Thomas
      Rookie/Thomas
      Austin/Cooper

Comment

One more minor detail.... Your letting Kendricks go our best blocking and recieving TE last season yes he is not great but that leaves the rookies are any of them good enough to replace Kendricks? They sure were not last season! Huge concern there....overall we do need to improve the OL the most this offseason!

Comment

Originally posted by Randart View Post
          One more minor detail.... Your letting Kendricks go our best blocking and recieving TE last season yes he is not great but that leaves the rookies are any of them good enough to replace Kendricks? They sure were not last season! Huge concern there....overall we do need to improve the OL the most this offseason!
          Well I've been dead set on drafting a TE because this class is amazing, and Tyler Higbee will be a 2nd year TE now under a much better offense. I think Kendricks is an average player all around, and his void can absolutely be filled by Higbee and a rookie pick.

Comment

I like Kendrick's but I agree that may be the short of it. Higbee gets the start and we really get to see what he's got. Behind him will be Hemingway and rookie...

One benefit of pulling coaches from all over the league is, there's the potential for a lot of risers (young 2nd & 3rd string guys) that may be willing to follow a coach for reasonable 1 or 2 year deal. Maybe (hopefully) McVay, Olsen, or LeFleur can find a valuable rotational guy to help fill out the depth there. If not, and they keep Kendricks... that left over $6 million becomes $2 million, and WR depth really begins to suffer. Lack of draft picks really hurts at these moments...

Comment

Ok sosa good deal I did not see that in your plan, Higbee did not have a good rookie season and had almost no seperation on routes most of the time which surprised me I thought he would be better maybe it was the scheme. Yeah and we have T. Hemmingway too more a blocker but his hands are decent that gives us two guys right there. I agree this class has allot of very good TE's in it man oh man, I would love to get a hold of Howard but I consider him gone in the top 10 he is that good! Who do you see us having a shot at in the draft sosa? and could you give a break down on the lad? Thanks for response mate...
              Last edited by Randart; -02-19-2017, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randart View Post
                Ok sosa good deal I did not see that in your plan, Higbee did not have a good rookie season and had almost no seperation on routes most of the time which surprised me I thought he would be better maybe it was the scheme. Yeah and we have T. Hemmingway too more a blocker but his hands are decent that gives up two guys right there. I agree this class has allot of very good TE's in it man or man I would love to get a hold of Howard but I consider him gone in the top 10 he is that good! Who do you see us having a shot at in the draft sosa? and could you give a break down on the lad? Thanks for response mate...
                I didn't outline my draft plan here just a free agency one, but every time I think of a mock or some guys to draft it always contains a TE. If you've got the time, check out this section of the forum (Draft & FA) and look at the previous pages (2 and 3), I broke down all the TE's.

I think O.J Howard and David Njoku (both of which I love) will go round 1, so I think some guys in round 2 and 3 are Jordan Leggett, Evan Engram, Bucky Hodges, Jake Butt. In that order I'd probably go: Leggett, Engram, Hodges, Butt.

Comment

Sosa, you are decimating our D-line with this plan. We let Hayes & Easley walk and cut Sims. I can live with hayes leaving, but Sims and Easley are pretty good rotational players whom we should try to keep because they are young and talented. I get that we are shifting to a 3-4 base so those guys may be wrong for the system, I kinda hope not because I'd like to see guys who made our D-line among the best in the NFL, stay with the team. I just don't see us being able to draft or sign replacements and maintain the level of performance.

Otherwise good work. I think getting TJ Lang is a stretch, but Tretter would be a solid move. I'd prefer Jackson over Garcon, but either one would be an upgrade. Maybe you can answer, what ever happened to Nelson Spruce, did we cut him at the 53 man cutdown? I know he was on IR.

Go Rams!

Comment

Spruce listed on the regular roster as of 5 seconds ago and not even on the injury report part! yay!!!! When healthy he is a ball catching machine! lol

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                      Sosa, you are decimating our D-line with this plan. We let Hayes & Easley walk and cut Sims. I can live with hayes leaving, but Sims and Easley are pretty good rotational players whom we should try to keep because they are young and talented. I get that we are shifting to a 3-4 base so those guys may be wrong for the system, I kinda hope not because I'd like to see guys who made our D-line among the best in the NFL, stay with the team. I just don't see us being able to draft or sign replacements and maintain the level of performance.

Otherwise good work. I think getting TJ Lang is a stretch, but Tretter would be a solid move. I'd prefer Jackson over Garcon, but either one would be an upgrade. Maybe you can answer, what ever happened to Nelson Spruce, did we cut him at the 53 man cutdown? I know he was on IR.

Go Rams!
                      Will Hayes is not a free agent. Also, Dom Easley will be compensated well and will go start somewhere, I see almost a 0% chance he returns. We can't afford to pay a 3rd DT/out of position DE 5 or 6 million per year.

As for Sims, he's bad. He's no better than any other backup in the league or on our team, and is being compensated FAR too much. You can find a replacement for his play for a much much cheaper price, and he has no fit at all on a 3-4.

Comment

Working...
                      X