X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 FREE AGENCY: Bucs sign DeSean Jackson, 3yrs $35M w/ $20M guaranteed

Adam Schefter
    ‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago

Buccaneers reached agreement with DeSean Jackson on a three-year, $35-million contract that includes $20 million guaranteed, per sources.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    PFW: Hang-up in Rams/Jackson negotiations is about guaranteed money
    by Nick
    Posted by Pro Football Weekly yesterday.

For reference's sake, Larry Johnson's six-year deal last fall included $19 million in total guarantees. Four years ago when LT signed his new deal, it included $21 million in guarantees. Darren McFadden's rookie contract includes $26 million guaranteed; Adrian Peterson's rookie deal from last year had $17 million in guaranteed money....
    -08-04-2008, 05:19 PM
  • MauiRam
    Jackson Looking For A New Agent...Again?
    by MauiRam
    Jackson Looking For A New Agent...Again?
    By Howard Balzer Friday, August 08, 2008
    Today marks the beginning of the third week of running back Steven Jackson’s absence from training camp. According to multiple reports, there have been no conversations between the Rams and Jackson’s agent, Eugene Parker, since camp opened July 25.

Now, there are rumblings in the agent world that Jackson is putting out feelers to other agents because he’s not happy with the direction Parker has taken with the talks (or non-talks). If he changes agents, there’s a five-day waiting period before he can hire someone new. At some point, Jackson has to look in the mirror and honestly assess why he is in this position.

After all, he didn’t hire Parker until June after agent Gary Uberstine dropped Jackson as a client in the spring. Rocky Arceneaux was Jackson’s agent when he was drafted, and it is believed he hired Lamont Smith/Peter Schaeffer for a brief time. That means Parker is either Jackson’s third or fourth agent in four years.

It seems obvious that Uberstine knew he was fighting a losing battle, and that Jackson’s head was being filled with bad advice from those close to him, including his sister Rhonda. It’s eye opening that virtually anytime Jackson’s situation is discussed with those that know the situation, the conversation turns to Rhonda with words mumbled and accompanied by rolling of the eyes.

It’s clear what Uberstine was insinuating when he was quoted saying, "I wish him and his sister Rhonda the very best, and I really don't want to go into the factors that went into my decision. I have no doubt that he will soon be the highest-paid running back in football."

What he apparently meant was: “I know Steven and Rhonda believe he should be the highest-paid running back in football, but I question whether that will happen with the Rams. So, I’m dropping him before he has the chance to fire me.”

It’s not known specifically what Jackson is seeking. However, a figure of $20 million guaranteed has been floated publicly. That’s not an outrageous number, considering Kansas City’s Larry Johnson got $19 million guaranteed last year as part of a six-year, $45 million contract. Dallas running back Marion Barber will receive $16 million guaranteed in his seven-year, $45 million deal negotiated this year when he was a restricted free agent, while Atlanta’s Michael Turner got $15 million guaranteed and $34.5 million over six years.

While Jackson has his reasons for not wanting to report without a new contract (mostly injury related), the reality is that the two sides can’t be very far apart. If the Rams were refusing to even discuss a new contract, Jackson might have a point. But, it was the Rams that approached him after the season to say they wanted to take care of him, even though he...
    -08-08-2008, 10:06 AM
  • RamWraith
    Agent fired Steven Jackson?
    by RamWraith
    AGENT FIRES PLAYER?
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2008

Usually, it’s the NFL player who fires the NFL agent, sometimes at the behest of another NFL agent who discreetly induces the change without leaving sufficient fingerprints to get himself punished by the NFLPA (i.e., taking out a full-page ad in SportsBusiness Journal stating, “I just stole [insert player name] from [insert agent name], and I liked it”).

This time around, the agent reportedly initiated the move. According to Liz Mullen of the aforementioned SportsBusiness Journal (Emmitt says, “You actually only mentioned it one time, not four”), Gary Uberstine has parted ways with Rams running back Steven Jackson.

The move is unusual because Jackson is entering his contract year with the Rams. Because Uberstine wasn’t Jackson’s agent when his rookie contract was signed, Uberstine will in the end earn zero dollars, zero cents in football contract fees from Jackson. (Then again, Uberstine might have gotten a nice piece of the action for Jackson’s 2007 Nike commercial, which was one of the rare occasions last year when Jackson played football without getting injured.)

Uberstine wouldn’t disclose the reason for the split to Mullen, and there’s no word on who Jackson’s next agent will be.

“I assume there will be no shortage of interested agents,” Uberstine told Mullen. “He is a phenomenal ballplayer and should be the highest-paid running back in the league. I don’t have any bad feelings.”

This isn’t the first time that Jackson has been involved in an eyebrow-raising situation when it comes to his agent. Jackson’s first agent was Rocky Arceneaux, who also represented at the time Marshall Faulk, the incumbent starter when Jackson was picked by the Rams in round one of the 2004 draft. The conflict of interest was palpable, but Arceneaux continued to represent both men. He was criticized privately in league circles for the value of the initial contract that he negotiated for Jackson.

Jackson’s next contract should be worth considerably more. Regardless of who the agent is.
    -06-16-2008, 01:30 PM
  • Rambos
    Steven Jackson has officially voided the final year of his contract
    by Rambos
    Steven Jackson has officially voided the final year of his contract, making him an unrestricted free agent.
    Jackson made his mind up about this weeks ago, but now the paperwork is in. He's giving up $7 million in 2013 so that he can test the market and land a long-term deal. A reunion with the Rams is possible, but true contenders such as the Packers and Falcons could also show interest. After averaging 4.23 yards per carry behind a woeful offensive line over the last two seasons, S-Jax is clearly the No. 1 running back available in free agency.
    Source: Howard Balzer on Twitter
    Mar 7 - 10:52 AM
    -03-07-2013, 08:23 AM
  • RamBill
    Clock's ticking: No meeting yet between Jackson, Rams/PD
    by RamBill
    Clock's ticking: No meeting yet between Jackson, Rams
    • By Jim Thomas

Clock's ticking: No meeting yet between Jackson, Rams : Sports

Although talks continue between both parties, the planned meeting between the Rams and running back Steven Jackson’s agent have yet to take place.

Jackson has until the start of free agency March 12, now less than a month away, to decide whether to void the final year of his contract. If he voids, Jackson becomes a free agent.

Jackson said four weeks ago on the NFL Network that the parties would sit down in February.

“We’re going to talk about my possibilities, where I want to go, and does it fit?” Jackson said at the time. “I believe we’ll get everything resolved before March.”

Well, February is half gone, but sources familiar with the negotiations say the meeting could take place at the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine, Feb. 20-26 in Indianapolis. The combine is an annual meeting place for talks between agents and teams anyway.

The Rams have consistently said that they want Jackson back in 2013. But his scheduled base salary of $7 million in 2013 (if he doesn’t void) would be tough to take for the cap-strapped Rams. They are currently a couple of million dollars over the projected salary cap ceiling for 2013.

The most likely scenario is that Jackson voids the contract, tests the market, but the Rams continue to negotiate with him for a lower number than $7 million.
    -02-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Working...
X