Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No center in free agency - what then to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No center in free agency - what then to do?

    If we do not land a free agent center capable of starting, in which round should we draft a center? Sixth and seventh round picks are usually developmental picks - not a great place to find a starting center. Thoughts?

  • #2
    My favourite center in the draft is Pat Elflein from OSU, but I wouldn't take him in round 2 and I don't really think he's going to be available in round 3. That brings us a conundrum. Groy would have been a nice add because then we don't need to draft based on need. Maybe explore a trade (unlikely) or even kick the tires on a Nick Mangold?

    Or, wait until day 3 of the draft and take a guy in rounds 4-7 (most likely outcome IMO).

    Comment


    • #3
      I have the Rams taking Tyler Orlosky (West Virginia) at the top of the 4th in my mock. That might be wishful thinking, but I think he could come in and play.

      I'd love Elflein (or Bocic of LSU), but I agree with Sosa - 37th pick is a bit too soon, but third round may be too late to get either.

      Comment


      • #4
        Need to have a Center that could protect Goff from getting sacked! As really think they need to get a C in the second or third round.
        Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

        Comment


        • #5
          I do not care we take the best top rated Center in the draft I would still like a Vet to be here to start and give the kid center a chance to learn a bit before he goes under fire from the front 7's of this league. I think it takes time for them to grow into it even the very best. But that is my opinion...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
            My favourite center in the draft is Pat Elflein from OSU, but I wouldn't take him in round 2 and I don't really think he's going to be available in round 3. That brings us a conundrum. Groy would have been a nice add because then we don't need to draft based on need. Maybe explore a trade (unlikely) or even kick the tires on a Nick Mangold?

            Or, wait until day 3 of the draft and take a guy in rounds 4-7 (most likely outcome IMO).
            Negative. Center is a key position on the o-line, second after LT and this has been an issue for this team for years. Time to make an investment and draft the best possible Center in the draft, which is Elflein. Take him at #37 and go from there.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sosa39rams View Post
              My favourite center in the draft is Pat Elflein from OSU, but I wouldn't take him in round 2 and I don't really think he's going to be available in round 3. That brings us a conundrum. Groy would have been a nice add because then we don't need to draft based on need. Maybe explore a trade (unlikely) or even kick the tires on a Nick Mangold?

              Or, wait until day 3 of the draft and take a guy in rounds 4-7 (most likely outcome IMO).
              If the Rams go WR or TE in the second. I'd be fine with drafting a Center in round three. Can't believe I'm gonna say this, if they go that route maybe they resign Barnes as insurance if the rookie can't get up to speed year one.

              Comment


              • #8
                If you're looking for Center depth, Barnes at vet minimum would be fine. Same with Kush if that guy is still hanging around. I just don't think it's worth going after one just yet. Think the coaches will want to first see how Rhaney and some of the converted guards (ie. Wichman) fare at Center during OTA's and what the team is able to acquire draft wise before looking at scrub FA centers such as Barnes. With Havenstein moving to RG (temporarily, that is ) , there's a bit of a glut at RG.... if one of them can pick up the offensive playbook ok, then the depth may already be on the roster.

                It's the starter at Center Rams need to worry about. For the record, I think value will still be there at rd 3.... but getting a starter ready player in the draft at all, will be a tough assignment.

                Last edited by KoaKoi; -03-31-2017, 12:07 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Saw an interesting thought on PTD the other day. They had us taking Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana at #37 and converting him to a center. That peaks my interest much more than Elflein or Pocic. Interestingly they had us taking Justin Evans Texas A&M safety in round 3.

                  That takes us out of the WR/TE picks in round 2. In this draft there is a lot of depth at those spots that we can afford to find a good player in round 3 or 4. The scouts will have to be asute enough to find a hidden gem.

                  Go Rams!
                  Last edited by mde8352gorams; -04-01-2017, 12:32 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                    Saw an interesting thought on PTD the other day. They had us taking Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana at #37 and converting him to a center. That peaks my interest much more than Elflein or Pocic. Interestingly they had us taking Justin Evans Texas A&M safety in round 3.

                    That takes us out of the WR/TE picks in round 2. In this draft there is a lot of depth at those spots that we can afford to find a good player in round 3 or 4. The scouts will have to be asute enough to find a hidden gem.

                    Go Rams!
                    With the signing of Sully, I think we're right back to a WR/TE pick in round 2. Although, I don't discount a pick for the secondary or OL if the BPA numbers scream for it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post

                      With the signing of Sully, I think we're right back to a WR/TE pick in round 2. Although, I don't discount a pick for the secondary or OL if the BPA numbers scream for it.
                      Those are my thoughts as well. I would like to know, perhaps you know, are we a power or zone blocking OL? That will have a huge impact on any OL we select. I still feel if we take a center on day 3 that's a good move to cover ourselves for Sullivan's injury potential. Our OL group can stand improvement so I won't be upset if we add talent there.

                      Go Rams!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        McVay does a type of zone scheme, I believe.

                        I'd be surprised if an interior lineman isn't taken by the Rams on day 3.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X