The Act of Addressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Act of Addressing

One thing is sure in today’s NFL- due to the salary cap - teams must draft successfully. 2017 is the beginning of yet another Rams' era and just because we don‘t have a first round pick, in no way are we excluded from having an excellent draft.

I wonder how much Les Snead was handcuffed previously by Fisher. I guess we’ll never know exactly. What we do know is there are purportedly going to be some very good players available after round one. I personally do not have a favorite player at this juncture as that changed (thankfully) with the acquisition of John Sullivan. I would hope we go BPA throughout.
    We are all aware here of our roster needs, and I have no doubt they will be addressed.* I also think there will be a curve ball or two thrown in; RFE’s postulation in a poll (possible trade with Cleveland) or some other unforeseen scenario.

I fervently hope McVay and Snead are dreaming the same dream on draft days and hit some home runs. Why not us? Can they harvest eventual starters in rounds 5 & 6? There will be UDFAs available – we need to mine a gem or two there as well. If we absolutely nail this draft, I don’t see any reason we could be very competitive the last half of the season.
    I am a doubting Thomas this year. My Kool-aide cup is dry. I am anxiously awaiting those first drops to fall in during the draft.

* Addressing a perceived need, in no way guarantees wild success, rather it is the act of trying. (Brian Quick comes to mind, GRob too, though he still has a small chance to stick.)

When the draft is said and done, I wonder how many picks we will have added or traded away. Anyone know how many picks we have as of today?

8 picks total, I believe. Two picks in the 4th and 6th. No pick in the 1st. Somebody (Titans?) get our compensatory 3rd round pick.

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
      One thing is sure in today’s NFL- due to the salary cap - teams must draft successfully. 2017 is the beginning of yet another Rams' era and just because we don‘t have a first round pick, in no way are we excluded from having an excellent draft.

I wonder how much Les Snead was handcuffed previously by Fisher. I guess we’ll never know exactly. What we do know is there are purportedly going to be some very good players available after round one. I personally do not have a favorite player at this juncture as that changed (thankfully) with the acquisition of John Sullivan. I would hope we go BPA throughout.
      We are all aware here of our roster needs, and I have no doubt they will be addressed.* I also think there will be a curve ball or two thrown in; RFE’s postulation in a poll (possible trade with Cleveland) or some other unforeseen scenario.

I fervently hope McVay and Snead are dreaming the same dream on draft days and hit some home runs. Why not us? Can they harvest eventual starters in rounds 5 & 6? There will be UDFAs available – we need to mine a gem or two there as well. If we absolutely nail this draft, I don’t see any reason we could be very competitive the last half of the season.
      I am a doubting Thomas this year. My Kool-aide cup is dry. I am anxiously awaiting those first drops to fall in during the draft.

* Addressing a perceived need, in no way guarantees wild success, rather it is the act of trying. (Brian Quick comes to mind, GRob too, though he still has a small chance to stick.)

When the draft is said and done, I wonder how many picks we will have added or traded away. Anyone know how many picks we have as of today?

those 2 guys were reaches- and very poor choices by someone in this organization.
      This team hasn't drafted well on the Offensive side of the ball at all; and has used many of higher picks to bolster an already good defense. I cant see how they will not fill needs in the passing game, and center in this draft in light of the poor offense this team has had for years and years.

I am hoping they are not going to cater to Wade Phillips because of the 3-4 switch, as I'm certain we can have a good defense with who we have now; but on the offensive side-- we still lack some fear weapons.

I know Id go nuts if we drafted BPAs and they are DBs, LBs, and Dlineman.

Comment

Originally posted by Akita Ram View Post
        I am hoping they are not going to cater to Wade Phillips because of the 3-4 switch, as I'm certain we can have a good defense with who we have now; but on the offensive side-- we still lack some fear weapons.
        I do not pretend to know how the Rams have stacked their board. I believe it is fair to say that all of us here know where the holes are on our current roster, and there are clearly holes on both sides of the ball. You obviously feel there is more need on O than D, and there are some here who would agree with you. I am hoping the Rams do stick with BPA. That said, need can and does trump BPA on occasion, but I would hope as relates to the Rams, drafting for need over BPA would be an exception to the rule.

I know Id go nuts if we drafted BPAs and they are DBs, LBs, and Dlineman.
        With the new “We not me” mantra, I doubt any coach is going to be “catered to.” However, if the staff collectively sees a linebacker, defensive back or D-lineman who is just too good a value to pass up compared to an offensive need player, then I’d hope the Rams would stay true to their board. Why you ask? Because although not impossible, it is highly improbable the Rams will solidify the roster via the 2017 draft alone. IMO the Rams are going to require at least 2 drafts to turn the corner. Therein lies my reasoning to take the BPA. No mistakes, no whiffs – just get good football players who will make the team. We won’t have to wait much longer ...

Comment

[QUOTE=MauiRam;n810238]

I do not pretend to know how the Rams have stacked their board. I believe it is fair to say that all of us here know where the holes are on our current roster, and there are clearly holes on both sides of the ball. You obviously feel there is more need on O than D, and there are some here who would agree with you. I am hoping the Rams do stick with BPA. That said, need can and does trump BPA on occasion, but I would hope as relates to the Rams, drafting for need over BPA would be an exception to the rule.

With the new “We not me” mantra, I doubt any coach is going to be “catered to.” However, if the staff collectively sees a linebacker, defensive back or D-lineman who is just too good a value to pass up compared to an offensive need player, then I’d hope the Rams would stay true to their board. Why you ask? Because although not impossible, it is highly improbable the Rams will solidify the roster via the 2017 draft alone. IMO the Rams are going to require at least 2 drafts to turn the corner. Therein lies my reasoning to take the BPA. No mistakes, no whiffs – just get good football players who will make the team. We won’t have to wait much longer ...

[/QUOTEits a shame that history repeated itself with Fisher, in that much like Robinson, he squandered the draft picks we received from Washingiton just like the picks we received from Dickerson.

I keep hearing about this the waiting concept, and while I understand it, the fact that so many teams get a new coach and turn the corner that same year, that concept has been debunked too often in recent history.

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
            We won't have to wait much longer ...

I keep hearing about this the waiting concept, and while I understand it, the fact that so many teams get a new coach and turn the corner that same year, that concept has been debunked too often in recent history.
            I was referring to the fact we will not have to wait much longer to discover which players the Rams will draft.(For better or for worse). As I stated (IMO) it will likely take at least 2 drafts to really acquire the talent desired by the new coaching staff. I am hoping we can turn the corner faster, as regards wins & losses, but I'm not betting on it.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Barry Waller
              SO How Important is Drafting OL High?
              by Barry Waller
              Let's just take a look at the starting O-lines of the best teams in the NFL. You can bet these teams will add MORE high OL picks this year as well if needed.

New England - 2 first rounders 1 second rounder
              Cincinnati - 2 firsts (one 6th overall) a second and two 4ths
              Seattle - 2 firsts 9one 6th over all) one second one third
              San Fran - THREE firsts (11.17,28)
              KC - TWO firsts (1st, 15th overall), TWO SECONDS, and a THIRD.
              Denver - One First (12th), TWO seconds and TWO thirds
              Carolina - One First (8th) TWO Seconds
              Philly - One top UFA (Peters), ONE first (4th), One former third UFA (Mathis).
              Philly also blew a #1 on Danny Watkins.

It's obvious how these teams got to be the best ones right now.

When these teams start seeing aging in t heir line, and don't replentish t he stock with early picks, they often see a big drop in wins. like what happened here with Pace and Timmerman and McCollum growing old at the same time, with almost no high picks to replace them..
              b
              When the Rams tried, with Smith and Barron, it was maybe the biggest reason for their demise.

Right now the Rams have One First rounder, Williams, who busted out in Chicago as a tackle, who is unsigned, ONE Second rounder they may well lose, and a high paid free agent former high first.

The rest are late picks like Jones, or undrafted free agents.

Looking at the teams that ar e winning WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.
              And why is there not some huge cry to fix this on draft day over taking a pass rusher or wide receiver to add to an already competetive and stacked group of young talent.

The Niners and Seattle have been able to go elsewhere other than Oline the last couple drafts, because they got that taken care of a couple years ago, just when they really started t o get good again.

it is no coincidence.
              -01-04-2014, 11:48 AM
            • general counsel
              Please dont expect all of our needs to get filled in one draft
              by general counsel
              One plea of reason to the group as we embark on the draft. We have major needs in many places. We did not get this devoid of talent overnight and we are not going to fix it in one draft. We need to focus on getting quality players. Need is relevant. Fisher knows that. What we dont need to do is draft an inferior player just because people think (even if they are correct) that we "need" a specific position. I hope people will resist the annual temptation to criticize picks (especially later round picks) for failure to get help in every area of need. Short of having about 15 picks in the first 50, there is simply no way for us to completely overhaul our roster in one year.

I know that we are all tired of saying "patience" when it comes to the Rams. However, the hiring of Fisher is the dawn of a new era and if we expect to fill all our needs immediately we are hoping for too much. Can it happen? Sure, our sb 34 title team and last years whiners certainly prove that you can come a very long way in a very short period of time in the cap era. However, odds are, the best we can hope for is substantial improvement and i dont think that goal is unrealistic. Let's not jump down the throats of the guys making the selections over the next couple of days because people think that we haven't fixed everything.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
              -04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
            • Barry Waller
              My Life as a Draftnik, and What I Now Know To Be True.
              by Barry Waller
              I should explain where I am coming from with some of my belief system when it comes to the NFL Draft.
              If they gave college credits for hours spent learning about this thing Howard Cosell called a non-event, and the time spent with H Balzer talking salary cap, and Rick vVnturi talking about coaching,player development, and system fit, I'd be a P.H.D.

I haven't just been a fan of the draft, and even I think I am somehow damaged to do what I have done since 1970, before Kiper, before ESPN. It was me an Joel Buchsbaum, who was unable to do anything else in life, God rest his soul, so much that he started what has become a multi-billion dollar industry.

I have every one of Joel's books from the late mid seventies until his death.

When Buchsbaum was discovered in St louis by legendary Cardinals broadcaster Bill WIlkerson, on his KMOX sportsline show, the first of it's kind, He couldn't even pronounce Joel's name right, saying the "ch" sound like in "bush", rather than the correct hard "ch", as in "book".

Buchsbaum never corrected WIlkerson once in all those years, shows I lived to listen to, to hear Joel speak about "Mirror and slide", and "knee bender" etc.

I have not worked on one draft day since it has been on TV. I trake vacation days, till i was self employed, then I spent the last 17 drafts at Rams Park, really getting some insight, especially from the pre-draft luncheon Vermeil and Martz would do.

It was informal, and you could eat lunch talking football with Jim Hanifan or Bill Kollar, two of the greatest position coaches and characters ever. You mention DOn Coryell or George Allen to Hanny, and you get a half hour of rolling on the floor stories.

Even with all the stuff going on around me at Rams Park, I could not help doing what I did at home, tracking the draft, writing down picks, and being bummed I had to stop when a Rams pick was on the phone for a group Q &A.

They do that after every pick, and I must say, it can be quite telling, when you hear the guy talk football and life for the first time.

You hear a guy like Trung Canidate, Jacoby Sheppard, or Alex Barron for the first time, and you start thinking "Well it IS mostly about physical ability", and then see how that initial impr ession had validity.

That's one thing I miss, to hear all the top plares talk, t hough the NFL Network makes it all easy now, as does ESPN, Pro Football Talk etc et c.

When I started there was nearly no info on play er s, other t han the All-America team, and you had no undergrads in the draft.

It was work, but now it's easy, and that's why it's exploded like it has.

From guys like Vermeil, my favorite person I met in football, Armey, and now Fisher and Snead, I am now quite sure about...
              -03-06-2014, 09:39 AM
            • Tampa_Ram
              Demoff Q&A
              by Tampa_Ram
              Transcript: Kevin Demoff Q & A: Part 1 & 2
              Wednesday, April 17 2013 @ 11:39 PM CDT

Bradford's Contract

Hi Kevin- Thanks so much for doing these and other Q and A's. You really score points with a lot of us Ram fans for your explanations and willingness to respond to our questions.

My question is regarding Bradford's contract; can his contract be re-done to result in additional cap savings down the road? I'm a Bradford fan but not a contract or cap guru like you are but anything that allows us to attract and keep good players under the cap I'm all for.

Thanks,
              ---
              Demoff

Sam's contract could easily be re-done to result in additional cap savings now, but not down the road. He is owed 3 years and $35m essentially for the remainder of the contract. That's fairly cheap for current starting QB standards that aren't playing on the new rookie wage scale. My preference would be not to touch Sam's contract until we write an extension to avoid increasing his salary cap count in the future years. When we wrote his contract, we structured it in a manner to allow the last years to be fairly uniform. We figured that a new wave of QB Deals would come along and make his deal fairly affordable given the landscape which it has become.

One aside, much has been made of whether or not Sam "restructured" his contract last year. We did move some money around within 2012, but it did not change his salary cap count in any year and was not done to help create space in any year. It was done to help free up cash flow for signings to take advantage of a fairly minute rule in the CBA, but had nothing to do with "cap space" or changing his cap number. His cap number has been the same every year as was expected when he signed the contract.

This transcript can be found here: [www.RamsFans,com]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

max

Mike Silver

Hi Kevin,

I read that Mike Silver will be in the Rams draft room again this year. Why do you guys invite Silver in? Does he have a close relationship with Fisher? And what rules do you have for him on what he can tell?

Thanks, max
              ---

Demoff

I haven't heard that Mike is coming back this year, I think he was joking in his ultimate mock draft about that. After he outed me to my wife on how many Diet Mt. Dew's I drank last year on draft weekend (28), he's certainly not welcome back in my book.

In all seriousness, Mike did a great job bringing our draft to life and the decisions that were made. We trusted him to tell an accurate story and he did, and that's all you can ask from a writer. For me, our job as an organization is to bring the brand to life and help fans better...
              -04-18-2013, 11:55 AM
            • mde8352gorams
              Bold Prediction: the Rams Will Trade Up in the Draft
              by mde8352gorams
              Given the Rams aggressiveness this off-season I'm becoming convinced the Rams will make a move on Friday of the draft. Much will depend on whom the Rams covet and whether they will begin to slide. My thinking is they will try to get somewhere between the mid and later portion of the 2nd round. That's based on the draft value of their picks most likely.

My reasoning for this is that the Rams have 8 picks, in total, 7 on day 3. The Rams don't need that many roster fillers or camp bodies which they can do via UDFA's. Rather, they will want playmakers and depth on the O-Line, DB's and LB's primarily. If they come away with 4-5 solid prospects with at least 2 who will see considerable snaps, combined with the trades & FA signings they will have had a very good off-season.

The interesting question becomes whom the Rams covet most. Despite this not being a very good edge rusher draft I think they'l watch for Lorenzo Carter, GA or Sam Hubbard, OSU. Arden Key, while talented is too risky, certainly not worth a trade-up.

The other playmaker spot I believe they're targeting is RB. I'd put Ronald Jones, USC and Rashaad Penny, SDST as targets. Some will say, why do we need a RB. My answer is we need to preserve Todd Gurley whom we'll be signing to a long-term deal after next season. We cannot consistently hand-off to TG 25x or move per game and expect him to be around for another 6 years or more. So I'm not calling for a change of pace rb, but a solid #2 who can share the workload, including pass catching which Jones is fairly good at performing. Also an elusive runner who isn't tackled at first contact. Jones, if we pick him will need to add weight. I feel we need this type of pick rather than a check the box type of rb in round 6. Plus, the better teams have 2 rb's to rotate.

The edge rusher is also key, but we already have several players who can fill that role and know the system. Not the case at rb. I haven't seen us re-sign Malcolm Brown. Maybe I missed that.

Feel free to disagree, but this is where Les Snead is a master and I just feel that was the strategy by collecting late round picks.

Go Rams!
              -04-22-2018, 12:07 PM
            Working...
            X