thoughts on arden key please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts on arden key please

The Rams have not shied away from highly talented "character issue" guys this offseason. We seem to seek them out under the theory that phillips/mcvay can manage them appropriately. Key seems to be a very talented guy with lots of off the field issues. Is he a realistic pick for us at 23? I am assuming that landry, davenport, edwards, smith are gone. Would the rams go for the talent at the position of most need (edge) over an inside guy like vander esch if he is still available and if venderesch is gone also, would we take Key over a guy like isaih wynn or james daniels?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

His off field issues are similar to Randy Gregory and Tim Williams, according to Walter Football. That means drugs. Trouble which starts with "T" and rhymes with "P" which to me means PASS.

Go Rams!

Comment

Definitely a boom or bust prospect.

I don't know much about his off the field issues, but one potential red flag is that his weight has fluctuated greatly over the past few years. Not sure if this was due to LSU's decision to play him more on the LOS, or if it was his doing. He's reportedly in good shape now, but I'd say he requires a lot of scrutiny.

I have him currently as the #4 edge rusher behind Chubb, Davenport and Landry. I might, however, be inclined to move Georgia's Lorenzo Carter (who is a bit unpolished but has off-the-chart measurables) above him.

Comment

Good points by both of you guys, i was more wondering what we thought the Rams would do rather than what all of us would do (ie avoid guys like Key). AV, putting you on the spot, assume all of your three pass rushers are gone and no reasonable trade down is available. Further assume Vanderesch is gone. Would you take Carter/Key in that spot of go Daniels/Wynn?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
          Good points by both of you guys, i was more wondering what we thought the Rams would do rather than what all of us would do (ie avoid guys like Key). AV, putting you on the spot, assume all of your three pass rushers are gone and no reasonable trade down is available. Further assume Vanderesch is gone. Would you take Carter/Key in that spot of go Daniels/Wynn?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
          I'd probably look at Daniels and Will Hernandez, and also give consideration to WR if Calvin Ridley falls.

Comment

I think when you look at the guys that Snead and McVay took as a team last year, Key does not really fit that profile of rookie prospect. Sure, the Rams have not shied away from highly talented “character issue” guys this offseason, but there’s a difference between taking a chance on guys who have proven they’ve done it at high levels as a pro and a rookie prospect.

I mean, you can justify taking a risk on a guy like Peters because he’s proven to be a Pro Bowl caliber NFL player. No one in this draft class has taken a professional snap, so the justification becomes a bit trickier, as I see it. And I don’t think Key fits the character of what the Rams are looking for in a rookie prospect.

Furthermore, I don’t view Key as a good value with the 23rd pick. He’s far more of a second round guy to me, in large part because of the underwhelming 2017 season and the off the field/character concerns. I question if this guy is ever going to reach his potential, even with someone like Phillips trying to light a fire under him.

If the top pass rushers were off the board, I would hope the Rams would go with a quality ILB or OL prospect that is valued in that range rather than reach on someone like Key.

Comment

Word is either:
              A. Lazy
              or
              B. Unmotivated

Either way a guy with his talent should have been a top 10 pick.

Comment

Just saw a note on Rotoworld reporting that Mike Mayock stated that Key could fall to Round 4. Given that the Rams have three selections in that round, I’d consider selecting him there in the hope that Phillips could turn him around.

Comment

Working...
                X