Nick's "Less Than a Week to Go" Mock Draft 3.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick's "Less Than a Week to Go" Mock Draft 3.0

Itís been a week since my last Rams mock draft, so I thought Iíd use FanSpeak to simulate another one. In the interest of getting some varied projections, I am using my third different set of rankings in as many tries for this projection, opting to go with NFL Draft Scout. Letís see how the Rams do!

R3P23: KEMOKO TURAY, LB, RUTGERS
    -This isnít a great class for edge rushers, and the Rams elected to bypass some of the better ones in favor of trading their first round pick for Brandin Cooks. That means theyíll either have to live with what theyíve got or find some diamonds in the draft. Turay could be such a diamond. Though he has some medical concerns that would have to be cleared by team doctors, thereís no question that the Rutgers product offers some very explosive pass rush ability off the edge.

R4P11: GERON CHRISTIAN, OT, LOUISVILLE
    -The Rams are in a tough spot, because this isnít a strong class for a number of the positions they need, and again, thatís complicated by the fact that theyíre picking in the mid rounds at the earliest (barring a trade). While Andrew Whitworth has been a fantastic addition on the left side of the line, heís not going to play forever. Christian is an offensive tackle prospect with potential, and could learn behind Whitworth before possibly taking over for him.

R4P35: MASON COLE, C, MICHIGAN
    -I hadnít planned to go back to back on offensive linemen in the fourth round, but seeing Cole still available at this pick during the simulation was too good to pass up. Cole is an athletic interior lineman who could add some power to his game as part of a pro strength program, and thought some question his ceiling at the next level, I think he could grow into a dependable man in the middle of an NFL offensive line.

R4P36: GENARD AVERY, LB, MEMPHIS
    -This might be a bit higher than some would prefer for Avery, but I am really intrigued by this guy as a force on the inside of this defense. Heís 6í1Ē and 248 pounds, and ran a sub-4.6 forty yard dash at the Combine. The guy is built like a tank but also offers some positional versatility with some pass rush skills. He strikes me as the kind of impactful hard-nosed force that would pair well with Mark Barron at inside linebacker.

R6P2: JUSTIN JONES, DL, NORTH CAROLINA STATE
    -Now begins the section of my mock where I end up going back to some prospects I selected in previous versions. Jones was a fourth round pick in my previous mock, but a different set of rankings and different simulation had him available here. Jones strikes me as a developmental nose tackle prospect who is going to love learning from Ndamukong Suh, Aaron Donald, and Michael Brockers.

R6P9: AKRUM WADLEY, RB, IOWA
    -The second of my repeat picks from March, Wadley is likely not going to challenge anyone for a feature back role, but has the potential to become a quality third down back in this league. The Rams know that their success depends on having Todd Gurley on the field, fresh and ready to go, and that can only happen if the team has some capable runners to spell him from time to time.

R6P20, JALEEL SCOTT, WR, NEW MEXICO STATE
    -The top three receiver spots on this roster are set with Cooks, Woods, and Kupp. Some would argue the top four spots are secure with Reynolds as well, but I think beyond the top three, there is some room for competition. Scott offers tremendous size and the ability to pluck the ball from the air, and could compete for a back end roster spot in this unit.

R6P21: MICHAEL JOSEPH, CB, DUBUQUE
    -Iím very intrigued by a guy like Joseph in the late round, because what the Rams lack when it comes to the cornerback position is some long term security. Now Iím not suggesting that Joseph solves that problem as a sixth round pick, but I do think Joseph has some likable skills and could fix one of his weaknesses Ė being raw at the position Ė by sitting and learning behind Pro Bowl caliber corners Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib.

I like it. We certainly have similar thoughts on the priority spots.

Avery is a guy who is not on my board, but probably should be.

Comment

Working...
    X