Bold Prediction: the Rams Will Trade Up in the Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bold Prediction: the Rams Will Trade Up in the Draft

Given the Rams aggressiveness this off-season I'm becoming convinced the Rams will make a move on Friday of the draft. Much will depend on whom the Rams covet and whether they will begin to slide. My thinking is they will try to get somewhere between the mid and later portion of the 2nd round. That's based on the draft value of their picks most likely.

My reasoning for this is that the Rams have 8 picks, in total, 7 on day 3. The Rams don't need that many roster fillers or camp bodies which they can do via UDFA's. Rather, they will want playmakers and depth on the O-Line, DB's and LB's primarily. If they come away with 4-5 solid prospects with at least 2 who will see considerable snaps, combined with the trades & FA signings they will have had a very good off-season.

The interesting question becomes whom the Rams covet most. Despite this not being a very good edge rusher draft I think they'l watch for Lorenzo Carter, GA or Sam Hubbard, OSU. Arden Key, while talented is too risky, certainly not worth a trade-up.

The other playmaker spot I believe they're targeting is RB. I'd put Ronald Jones, USC and Rashaad Penny, SDST as targets. Some will say, why do we need a RB. My answer is we need to preserve Todd Gurley whom we'll be signing to a long-term deal after next season. We cannot consistently hand-off to TG 25x or move per game and expect him to be around for another 6 years or more. So I'm not calling for a change of pace rb, but a solid #2 who can share the workload, including pass catching which Jones is fairly good at performing. Also an elusive runner who isn't tackled at first contact. Jones, if we pick him will need to add weight. I feel we need this type of pick rather than a check the box type of rb in round 6. Plus, the better teams have 2 rb's to rotate.

The edge rusher is also key, but we already have several players who can fill that role and know the system. Not the case at rb. I haven't seen us re-sign Malcolm Brown. Maybe I missed that.

Feel free to disagree, but this is where Les Snead is a master and I just feel that was the strategy by collecting late round picks.

Go Rams!

It certainly would not surprise me if we moved around. To get up to Round 2 would probably require that we part with a 3rd and 2 of our 4th round picks, so there would have to be a player that the Rams really coveted for them to make that type of move.

I don't see us trading up for a RB.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
      It certainly would not surprise me if we moved around. To get up to Round 2 would probably require that we part with a 3rd and 2 of our 4th round picks, so there would have to be a player that the Rams really coveted for them to make that type of move.

I don't see us trading up for a RB.
      Thanks for your reply. I agree it will likely take those 3 picks to get into the 2nd round. Complicated as it will sound it could involve 2 trades to make it happen. But as I stated I think the Rams are looking to make things happen now and drafting a boatload of day 3 players isn't a recipe for instant success. We do need depth at certain spots. But my crystal ball is no better than anyone else's so who knows?

On your second point, I think we are underestimating the priority the Rams may have on the RB position. I stated the value of preserving Todd Gurley's legs. Let me position it a different way. How would you reply to Stan Kroenke if (heaven forbid) Gurley went down for an extended period if not the season. We just spent $20M on Suh for 1 year and are poised to spend a pile of money on A. Donald, this year or next and beyond.

There are many of us who think the Rams need an edge rusher and we do, but look at the RB spot. Who is TG's back-up? I don't want to watch Tavon Austin play "this way, no that way" in the backfield this season. I'm sure you don't wish to either. We have yet to re-sign Malcolm Brown, who isn't a real TG replacement, but is there a sign in that development?

This draft is very good for RB's, not so much for edge rushers and the old adage of take what the draft gives you rings true to me. Perhaps the Rams have their eye on a RB in round 3 or 4. Very possible. I just keep going back to the Rams off-season strategy of finding the best and most ready players. After saying the Rams may opt for C. Ridley at #23, they traded for Cooks. Not sayin', just sayin'.

Go Rams!

Comment

Yes, I agree also that Snead will trade to move up in this draft, but I do not foresee it for a pick as early as the 2nd round. I certainly can envision him trying to get into the 3rd round though!

And yes, the Rams resigned Malcolm Brown. He signed his exclusive rights tender a week or so ago

Comment

I'm all for having a better contingency plan at RB, but I don't think you need to trade up to the 2nd round to accomplish that. Look at recent history:

Alvin Kamara - Round 3 (2017)
          Kareem Hunt - Round 3 (2017)
          Jordan Howard - Round 5 (2016)
          David Johnson - Round 3 (2015)
          Jay Ajayi - Round 5 (2015)
          Devonta Freeman - Round 4 (2014)
          Latavius Murray - Round 6 (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
            Yes, I agree also that Snead will trade to move up in this draft, but I do not foresee it for a pick as early as the 2nd round. I certainly can envision him trying to get into the 3rd round though!

And yes, the Rams resigned Malcolm Brown. He signed his exclusive rights tender a week or so ago
            Great news about Brown. Thanks for the info. I assume you mean early 3rd round as we are currently at #87 in the 3rd round.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
              I'm all for having a better contingency plan at RB, but I don't think you need to trade up to the 2nd round to accomplish that. Look at recent history:

Alvin Kamara - Round 3 (2017)
              Kareem Hunt - Round 3 (2017)
              Jordan Howard - Round 5 (2016)
              David Johnson - Round 3 (2015)
              Jay Ajayi - Round 5 (2015)
              Devonta Freeman - Round 4 (2014)
              Latavius Murray - Round 6 (2013)
              I know, I know, you can draft a good RB in the mid-late rounds. Agreed. My point was more that the Rams may see a RB they feel is a solid prospect and they may have to make a move to get him. As I said I think we're underestimating the importance the Rams place on getting a good RB who can be rotational with TG, not simply a back-up.

Just to be illogical would you wait to round 6 to draft a QB, just because Brady was drafted there. And speaking of QB's we're not going into camp with just Goff and Mannion, so add that to your Board. I'll bet that pick will be more than simply a camp body as Mannion hasn't lit it up when given a chance to play. He's in his walk year this season. I don't think I'd extend him would you?

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Great news about Brown. Thanks for the info. I assume you mean early 3rd round as we are currently at #87 in the 3rd round.

Go Rams!
                No, I just mean into the 3rd round in general. There should be some good talent that falls to the back of that round that may not make it to their 4ths.

Comment

Working...
                X