Bold Prediction: the Rams Will Trade Up in the Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bold Prediction: the Rams Will Trade Up in the Draft

Given the Rams aggressiveness this off-season I'm becoming convinced the Rams will make a move on Friday of the draft. Much will depend on whom the Rams covet and whether they will begin to slide. My thinking is they will try to get somewhere between the mid and later portion of the 2nd round. That's based on the draft value of their picks most likely.

My reasoning for this is that the Rams have 8 picks, in total, 7 on day 3. The Rams don't need that many roster fillers or camp bodies which they can do via UDFA's. Rather, they will want playmakers and depth on the O-Line, DB's and LB's primarily. If they come away with 4-5 solid prospects with at least 2 who will see considerable snaps, combined with the trades & FA signings they will have had a very good off-season.

The interesting question becomes whom the Rams covet most. Despite this not being a very good edge rusher draft I think they'l watch for Lorenzo Carter, GA or Sam Hubbard, OSU. Arden Key, while talented is too risky, certainly not worth a trade-up.

The other playmaker spot I believe they're targeting is RB. I'd put Ronald Jones, USC and Rashaad Penny, SDST as targets. Some will say, why do we need a RB. My answer is we need to preserve Todd Gurley whom we'll be signing to a long-term deal after next season. We cannot consistently hand-off to TG 25x or move per game and expect him to be around for another 6 years or more. So I'm not calling for a change of pace rb, but a solid #2 who can share the workload, including pass catching which Jones is fairly good at performing. Also an elusive runner who isn't tackled at first contact. Jones, if we pick him will need to add weight. I feel we need this type of pick rather than a check the box type of rb in round 6. Plus, the better teams have 2 rb's to rotate.

The edge rusher is also key, but we already have several players who can fill that role and know the system. Not the case at rb. I haven't seen us re-sign Malcolm Brown. Maybe I missed that.

Feel free to disagree, but this is where Les Snead is a master and I just feel that was the strategy by collecting late round picks.

Go Rams!

It certainly would not surprise me if we moved around. To get up to Round 2 would probably require that we part with a 3rd and 2 of our 4th round picks, so there would have to be a player that the Rams really coveted for them to make that type of move.

I don't see us trading up for a RB.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
      It certainly would not surprise me if we moved around. To get up to Round 2 would probably require that we part with a 3rd and 2 of our 4th round picks, so there would have to be a player that the Rams really coveted for them to make that type of move.

I don't see us trading up for a RB.
      Thanks for your reply. I agree it will likely take those 3 picks to get into the 2nd round. Complicated as it will sound it could involve 2 trades to make it happen. But as I stated I think the Rams are looking to make things happen now and drafting a boatload of day 3 players isn't a recipe for instant success. We do need depth at certain spots. But my crystal ball is no better than anyone else's so who knows?

On your second point, I think we are underestimating the priority the Rams may have on the RB position. I stated the value of preserving Todd Gurley's legs. Let me position it a different way. How would you reply to Stan Kroenke if (heaven forbid) Gurley went down for an extended period if not the season. We just spent $20M on Suh for 1 year and are poised to spend a pile of money on A. Donald, this year or next and beyond.

There are many of us who think the Rams need an edge rusher and we do, but look at the RB spot. Who is TG's back-up? I don't want to watch Tavon Austin play "this way, no that way" in the backfield this season. I'm sure you don't wish to either. We have yet to re-sign Malcolm Brown, who isn't a real TG replacement, but is there a sign in that development?

This draft is very good for RB's, not so much for edge rushers and the old adage of take what the draft gives you rings true to me. Perhaps the Rams have their eye on a RB in round 3 or 4. Very possible. I just keep going back to the Rams off-season strategy of finding the best and most ready players. After saying the Rams may opt for C. Ridley at #23, they traded for Cooks. Not sayin', just sayin'.

Go Rams!

Comment

Yes, I agree also that Snead will trade to move up in this draft, but I do not foresee it for a pick as early as the 2nd round. I certainly can envision him trying to get into the 3rd round though!

And yes, the Rams resigned Malcolm Brown. He signed his exclusive rights tender a week or so ago

Comment

I'm all for having a better contingency plan at RB, but I don't think you need to trade up to the 2nd round to accomplish that. Look at recent history:

Alvin Kamara - Round 3 (2017)
          Kareem Hunt - Round 3 (2017)
          Jordan Howard - Round 5 (2016)
          David Johnson - Round 3 (2015)
          Jay Ajayi - Round 5 (2015)
          Devonta Freeman - Round 4 (2014)
          Latavius Murray - Round 6 (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
            Yes, I agree also that Snead will trade to move up in this draft, but I do not foresee it for a pick as early as the 2nd round. I certainly can envision him trying to get into the 3rd round though!

And yes, the Rams resigned Malcolm Brown. He signed his exclusive rights tender a week or so ago
            Great news about Brown. Thanks for the info. I assume you mean early 3rd round as we are currently at #87 in the 3rd round.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
              I'm all for having a better contingency plan at RB, but I don't think you need to trade up to the 2nd round to accomplish that. Look at recent history:

Alvin Kamara - Round 3 (2017)
              Kareem Hunt - Round 3 (2017)
              Jordan Howard - Round 5 (2016)
              David Johnson - Round 3 (2015)
              Jay Ajayi - Round 5 (2015)
              Devonta Freeman - Round 4 (2014)
              Latavius Murray - Round 6 (2013)
              I know, I know, you can draft a good RB in the mid-late rounds. Agreed. My point was more that the Rams may see a RB they feel is a solid prospect and they may have to make a move to get him. As I said I think we're underestimating the importance the Rams place on getting a good RB who can be rotational with TG, not simply a back-up.

Just to be illogical would you wait to round 6 to draft a QB, just because Brady was drafted there. And speaking of QB's we're not going into camp with just Goff and Mannion, so add that to your Board. I'll bet that pick will be more than simply a camp body as Mannion hasn't lit it up when given a chance to play. He's in his walk year this season. I don't think I'd extend him would you?

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Great news about Brown. Thanks for the info. I assume you mean early 3rd round as we are currently at #87 in the 3rd round.

Go Rams!
                No, I just mean into the 3rd round in general. There should be some good talent that falls to the back of that round that may not make it to their 4ths.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Barry Waller
                  Look For Some RB to move up to Round One
                  Barry Waller
                  The last few drafts seem to be slim on highly drafted RBs, with maybe one cracking the top 15.

While this year looks to be no different, the quality and productivity of this bunch could cause a team that is already good to go that way earlier than expected. There looks to be six or seven backs who will go from late round one to mid round two

The Giants certainly will be looking for a starting back, with David Wilson highly questionable with neck surgery clouding his career.

Would they go for one 12th overall? Sesm a deal down first might be done first.

The Jets pick 18th, and also need a running back, as does Miami, picking 19th.

With the pick they got from Indy, Cleveland may well draft Trent Richardson's replacement, or they could wait till their own 2nd, just a few selections later.

Is Dallas sure they have THE guy there?

That would be a bit of a risk though, because some playoff clubs could really use a back.

Even Seattle and the Niners, with good backs in place, teams that rely on the running ga,e a lot, could be looking at this bunch as early as the first round.

The Saints need a top back still, and the Ravens might need to start looking for Rice's replacement.

Early in round two, Jacksonville seems sure to take a RB to replce Jones-Drew, who was picked around that spot. If Cleveland hasn't taken a RB yet, they will almost certainly get one early in round two.

If they still have a second rounder, the Falsons may look to get Steven Jackson's replacement there.

It could get really interesting once a RB or two comes off the board, and interesting till t hen to see how they stack up rank wise.
                  -01-10-2014, 03:15 PM
                • MauiRam
                  The Act of Addressing
                  MauiRam
                  One thing is sure in todayís NFL- due to the salary cap - teams must draft successfully. 2017 is the beginning of yet another Rams' era and just because we donĎt have a first round pick, in no way are we excluded from having an excellent draft.

I wonder how much Les Snead was handcuffed previously by Fisher. I guess weíll never know exactly. What we do know is there are purportedly going to be some very good players available after round one. I personally do not have a favorite player at this juncture as that changed (thankfully) with the acquisition of John Sullivan. I would hope we go BPA throughout.
                  We are all aware here of our roster needs, and I have no doubt they will be addressed.* I also think there will be a curve ball or two thrown in; RFEís postulation in a poll (possible trade with Cleveland) or some other unforeseen scenario.

I fervently hope McVay and Snead are dreaming the same dream on draft days and hit some home runs. Why not us? Can they harvest eventual starters in rounds 5 & 6? There will be UDFAs available Ė we need to mine a gem or two there as well. If we absolutely nail this draft, I donít see any reason we could be very competitive the last half of the season.
                  I am a doubting Thomas this year. My Kool-aide cup is dry. I am anxiously awaiting those first drops to fall in during the draft.

* Addressing a perceived need, in no way guarantees wild success, rather it is the act of trying. (Brian Quick comes to mind, GRob too, though he still has a small chance to stick.)

When the draft is said and done, I wonder how many picks we will have added or traded away. Anyone know how many picks we have as of today?...
                  -04-11-2017, 01:30 PM
                • Barry Waller
                  Draft Day Thoughts
                  Barry Waller
                  Draft Thoughts - Itís Here At Last !!

First Pick May Signal Second Round Plans

Itís up in the air what the Rams will do, take the safe route and take the best O-lineman on the board, either at #10 or after trading to 12 or 14., or go wild card and take a different position, such as a running back or wide receiver first.

There is a lot to be said about each plan, but it might be dictated by the talent pool at #41, and it will surely dictate that pick, whatever they do with the first pick.
                  It will also tip the overall plan.

If they take the offensive lineman first, it kind of precludes going there again in round two, with Fisher hinting at Barksdale returning, and the possibility of adding another veteran via trade (Evan Mathis?) , or by signing someone now like Justin Blalock or a player let go after the draft.

So if it isnít another O-lineman, then what day two 2. Or do the Rams deal up a bit, into round one, to get a certain guy? Itís all about the cost, of course.
                  There wonít be a WR who could be a big addition at #41, as six or seven will be gone by then. Same for running back. You get them at #10, or not at all, or at least till late.

I donít see the Rams going TE at #41, though a top one will be there. There wonít be a top DE probably, and they wouldnít go DT either.

So what you are looking at as far as value is going to be interior linebackers, a couple safeties, and some corners who would not be top three on the Rams.
                  Fisher doesnít take safeties early, even when they have bigger needs, and unless there is a sleeper CB that Fisher loves enough to take here, clearly the only position they need, and the only one where no alternative at a later round exists, would be Quarterback.

The top two are out of reach, and itís clear that the next three will all go before the end of round three in this weak draft after the top 50.

Looking at how many teams need developmental passers, there is little doubt that Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty, and Garrett Grayson will all be gone by the time the Rams pick in round three, leaving them no alternatives if Nick Foles isnít good and isnít retained in 2016.

Thatís the problem with taking anything other than OL first this year. It means giving up the chance for that QB now, unless a deal for next yearís number one adds a high #2 this year, which is always possible, since they have that extra #2 next year.

Clearly the Rams must add one starting caliber, hopefully pro bowl caliber OL, and they wonít get it past round two, and maybe not round one. Having said that, if Todd Gurley or Kevin White falls in your lap, and no great deals are offered, and you can get a solid guard in round two, what do the Rams do.

If they really see one of those Qbs as a franchise guy in the future, I t hink Snead will find a way to get...
                  -04-30-2015, 09:47 PM
                • Barry Waller
                  As Long As We Are Dreaming
                  Barry Waller
                  How about this scenario.

The Rams re-sign Saffold and Williams, and decide they better keep Wells to anchor the line.

They like Barrksdale enough to stay with him at RT.

You have the guards to fill in if Long isn't ready right away, with Saffold going to LT.

This would be a dream scenario for the Rams. Why?

Because though this draft is not great in positions the Rams would then need, it is one of the best top 64 in positions the Rams could use.

So lets say you are Les Snead, and now you plan is to acqure as many top 60 picks as possible by dealing down, with no player in mind eaither very early, or even mid round.

Let's say you deal that 2nd overall to 6th, and get a #2 and #3 this year, and #1 in 2015 from Atlanta.

THEN you deal down again, like they did in 2012, and add another mid round second this year .

Now that 13th is your first pick, and you have another 1st still plus three second rounders one very high.

Let's say CB . D. Dennard flys up the draft boards. It's doubtful, looking at the top teams and their needs, that he would go before 13,

A receievr, if one of the top three or four is on the board might be hard to resist, with these extra picks in the bag, plus your mid round and late round guys.

I think Fisher would go CB though, unless some ball hawking safety really started looking great.

Now, with that late first rounder, you look DB, even if you took a CB first, with a glance at the WR and C/G who may be there too.

You also have all these picks, and one in rd 2, even that first one used on a young passer would not be a waste if the right guy falls, like McCarren.

You have THREE second rounders, in a really nice crop at many positions.

Looking at my own early draft board, lets say you have taken Mike Evans and a cornerback, hopefully Dennard, in round one.

Now if I am drafting , lets say I take center Travis Swanson at pick 37, then I go for LaMarcus Joyner, the FSU big play safety at 44. WIth that third #2 pick, I take DT WIll Sutton or Ego Ferguson, or possibly a linebacker like Van Noy or Shazier if one drops.

might even look hard at that RB group, that will start flying off the board early in round two again.

The last five round , i'm looking for OL depth, DB depth, and a young passer, if I didn't get lucky and have one with a first round grade fall to the Rams in Rd 2.

Wouldn't a guy like Tajh Boyd be a real change up type as a backup to Bradford?

Now I go into 2015 draft with two #1 again, and almost no holes to fill.

So there IS a path to the Rams being able to NOT take an offensive lineman #1.

It's all up to the agents now and Mr. Demoff now.

Make my dream...
                  -01-04-2014, 02:50 PM
                • AvengerRam
                  Some Rams and NFC West Thoughts After Day 1 of the Draft
                  AvengerRam
                  *I really missed having a Rams selection Day 1, but I don't regret the Cooks trade. I think he'll a great fit, and will contribute this year.

*By contrast, the Niners and Cardinals, who both had Top 10 picks, did not, in my opinion, select players who will make them significantly better THIS YEAR. Rosen will probably sit initially, and will struggle when he does play. McGlinchey was a reach, as far as I'm concerned. He may become a decent RT, but I don't think he's the type of elite LT you hope to get at pick #9.

*The Seahawks' selection of Rashaad Penny was surprising. He may prove to be a good player for them, but you have to wonder if they could have traded back and selected him in the second round.

*As I mentioned in another thread, if the Rams want to trade up today to Round 2, their best option may be to package this year and next year's 3rd round picks. The reason is that, due to the loss of Sammy Watkins and Trumaine Johnson in FA, the Rams are likely to get at least one 3rd round compensatory pick next year.

*If the Rams want to dangle a player in a trade package, the most logical player would be Tavon Austin. After reworking his contract, his salary is no longer a deal-breaker. Don't know that he has a lot of value, though....
                  -04-27-2018, 09:56 AM
                Working...
                X