• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiper's final 2018 NFL draft Big Board

Kiper's final 2018 NFL draft Big Board and position rankings
    7:48 AM ET
    Mel Kiper Jr.
    Football analyst

The 2018 NFL draft is here -- and now we can finally figure out where all of these quarterbacks are going.

Below are my "final" Big Board and "final" position rankings for the class of 2018. I'm putting "final" in quotation marks because I'll be making a few tweaks up until the draft begins (Thursday at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN and the ESPN app, in case you were wondering). I'll be talking to more sources and adjusting my rankings based on what I hear. And remember, my Big Board is not a prediction of where prospects will be drafted, only where I have them ranked.

Notable: My Big Board goes to 300 prospects, and my position rankings cover more than 700. But it's important to note that the cutoff for undrafted free agents starts around 35 for positions like wide receiver. That means approximately 90 wide receivers have grades that are nearly identical. In short: Players ranked from 150 to 250 on my board are similar. It's splitting hairs.

1. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
    Previous rank: 1
    Barkley is the best prospect in this draft. His testing numbers at the combine -- 4.40 40-yard dash and 41-inch vertical -- were elite at any size, much less a 6-foot, 233-pound back. Barkley plays with tremendous balance, a great lower body and quick feet. He's a stellar runner both inside and outside the tackles, and he showed in 2017 that he's a true three-down back. He had 54 catches after having 48 combined in his first two seasons at Penn State. Barkley is a special talent.

2. Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State
    Previous rank: 2
    Chubb could have entered the 2017 draft and been in the first-round discussion. At 6-4, 269 pounds, he shows good takeoff from the edge, and he has an excellent mix of speed and power. You saw some of that speed and explosion at the combine, where he ran a 4.65 40 and had a 36-inch vertical. Chubb had 10 sacks and 25 tackles for loss (tied for second in the FBS) in 2017 and had 10 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss in 2016. Chubb doesn't have quite as high of a grade as Myles Garrett did last year, but he's in that same tier.

3. Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
    Previous rank: 4
    Smith is getting buzz as a potential top-eight pick. His tape is too good, and he's too athletic -- he ran a 4.51 40 at the combine -- for teams to be worried as much about his size (6-0, 237). He can get sideline to sideline in a hurry. A season after recording 95 total tackles and five tackles for loss, Smith had 137 tackles, 14 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks in 2017. He can blitz up the middle or off the edge, and I think he could play inside or outside linebacker. He's just a fun player to watch, and he was one of the best players on the field in both of the Bulldogs' College Football Playoff matchups.

4. Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
    Previous rank: 3
    Nelson and Mike McGlinchey formed the best left side of an O-line in college football. Nelson has a chance to go in the top five, and I don't think he drops past Chicago at No. 8. At 6-5, 335 pounds, Nelson causes destruction in the interior. I wrote last year that he was entertaining to watch, and you just don't say that about guards. He is a dominant run-blocker who is powerful at the point of attack and athletic enough to pull and get into space.

5. Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
    Previous rank: 5
    Allen has crushed the pre-draft process and is in the mix to be the No. 1 overall pick. He has shown improvement at the Senior Bowl and at the combine, and he has a high ceiling. Allen (6-5, 237) is super raw but can really sling it. His numbers weren't great in 2016 (28 touchdown passes, 15 interceptions while completing 56 percent of his passes), and his numbers weren't great in 2017 (16 touchdown passes, six interceptions while completing 56.3 percent of his passes), but NFL teams will take into account the talent around him. The Wyoming offense lost 47 touchdowns from the 2016 team, along with its center. I think Allen's numbers will be much better in an NFL offense with NFL players. He put some strong film together in the Cowboys' bowl win, throwing three touchdown passes in the first half, even while recovering from a shoulder injury.

6. Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California
    Previous rank: 6
    I don't think there's any question that Darnold is right there with Allen vying to be the top pick. He's a lock to go in the top three. I wrote before his pro day about what teams were looking for from him -- he didn't throw at the combine -- and he exceeded expectations (in the rain). After pro days, teams should have no more questions about a player. Darnold (6-3, 221) played better down the stretch, but he had an up-and-down 2017. He finished with 13 interceptions and nine lost fumbles. His 22 turnovers were tied for most in the FBS. I think Darnold has a chance to be special, and I believe in his talent long term. Darnold makes quick decisions and is an accurate, natural passer, but he needs to be more consistent with his footwork.

7. Derwin James, S, Florida State
    Previous rank: 8
    James is rising because of how he tested at the combine, and there's a chance he's the first defensive back off the board. A 4.47 40 and 40-inch vertical showed off rare athleticism for a 6-2, 215-pound safety. On the field, James is a tough evaluation because he just hasn't played many games. The former five-star recruit was terrific as a freshman for the Seminoles in 2015, with 91 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. But he played only two games in 2016 after suffering a torn meniscus in his left knee. He came back healthy in 2017 and finished with two interceptions, 11 pass breakups and 84 total tackles. James can be a versatile defender who plays in the box and also covers the deep middle of the field.

8. Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
    Previous rank: 9
    Ward's 4.32 40 at the combine was faster than former teammate Marshon Lattimore's 4.36 from last year. He's the real deal, even if he's a little on the small side at 5-11, 183 pounds. Ward has the skill set and traits of a No. 1 corner in the NFL. He's polished. He didn't have an interception in 2016, but he plays the ball well and showed good instincts in coverage, breaking up nine passes. Ward had two interceptions in 2017, as well as 15 more pass breakups. I really liked what I saw on his 2016 tape, even as the Buckeyes had two other corners who went in the first round of the 2017 draft. I expect Ward to be the first true cornerback off the board.

9. Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
    Previous rank: 7
    Fitzpatrick has played corner and safety at Alabama, and he could play either position at the next level. The versatility is a huge plus, but some teams see him as a tweener. Fitzpatrick (6-0, 204) is a smart defensive coordinator's dream: a modern-day big corner who plays safety. He's versatile enough to line up in the slot and lock down receivers, but he also can be a center fielder. Fitzpatrick had nine career interceptions (including four that were returned for touchdowns), so he has elite ball skills. He isn't afraid to make a tackle, either. I would want him on my team if I was picking in the top 10.

10. Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
    Previous rank: 10
    The 6-4, 226-pound Rosen throws a great ball and has rare arm talent. There aren't many quarterbacks who can make the throws he does. But there are still questions about him. Coming off a stellar freshman season in 2015, Rosen struggled in 2016 and made only six starts before injuring his shoulder. He had a great start to the 2017 season and finished with 26 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions. He missed a game because of a concussion late in the season, however, and was pulled in the second half of UCLA's win over Cal "for precautionary reasons" after taking a few big hits. He was then held out of the Bruins' bowl game. So injuries play a part in his evaluation, but there's no denying his talent. He might be the quarterback in this class who's most ready to play in Week 1.

11. Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech
    Previous rank: 12
    Edmunds is one of the biggest athletic freaks in this class. He ran a 4.54 40 at 253 pounds at the combine. And the tape matches -- he lives in the backfield. A year after recording 106 total tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks, he had 109 total tackles, 14 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks in 2017. Edmunds isn't a traditional linebacker; he could play inside and disrupt some throwing lanes, and he also could play outside and pressure quarterbacks. He even does a good job covering pass-catchers out of the backfield. Edmunds is a high-upside pick.

12. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
    Previous rank: 11
    As I wrote in December, Mayfield is one of the most difficult evaluations in this class. I love him on the field -- he's not afraid to take shots downfield, has an underrated arm and has won a ton of games. The Heisman Trophy winner put up huge numbers the past three seasons and completed better than 70 percent of his passes since the beginning of the 2016 season. He had 83 touchdown passes and only 14 interceptions over that span. But Mayfield won't be for every team, simply because of his size -- 6-1, 215 pounds. There isn't much history of 6-1 quarterbacks having success in the NFL, and Mayfield isn't the same kind of athlete as Russell Wilson. That said, he can make every throw. And like Rosen, I think a team would have no issue putting Mayfield on the field in Week 1. He doesn't need development time.

13. Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
    Previous rank: 17
    Payne (6-2, 311) was a reliable presence for the Crimson Tide, and he might have had his best two games in the College Football Playoff. Georgia couldn't block him in the title game, especially in the first quarter. Payne won't put up huge numbers on the stat sheet -- he had only three career sacks -- but he consistently beats interior offensive linemen and gets good push. Look for nose tackle-needy teams like the Redskins and Chargers to eye Payne in the middle of Round 1.

14. Vita Vea, DT, Washington
    Previous rank: 18
    At 6-4, 347 pounds, Vea is more than a space-eater. He has some explosion and quickness off the ball and can penetrate along the interior. He had five sacks and 39 total tackles in 2016, and he had 3.5 sacks in 2017. I think Vea can be an every-down player in the NFL, not just a two-down tackle. He reminds me of Haloti Ngata, who posted three consecutive NFL seasons with at least five sacks. Payne and Vea are the best nose tackles in this class.

15. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
    Previous rank: 24
    Jackson will be a first-round pick. I wouldn't be shocked if a team that really likes him trades up for him in the 20s. He has improved his delivery and put on good weight, and no one can deny his athletic ability. He's also an efficient passer who threw 57 touchdown passes to just 19 interceptions over the past two seasons. Still, Jackson (6-2, 216) is the most raw of the top quarterback prospects in this class, and teams will have to be patient with him. If a smart offensive coordinator builds his offense around Jackson's strengths, though, the former Heisman Trophy winner could be a star.

16. Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
    Previous rank: 19
    Bryan's college production didn't match his talent, but the NFL is all about projection. He had only 5.5 career sacks, and four came in 2017. At 6-5, 291 pounds, Bryan is a physical specimen, though, whose raw attributes will attract a team. He will take time to develop but could be a star as a penetrating 3-technique in a 4-3 defense.

17. Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
    Previous rank: 22
    I said during the combine that there's no top-10 talent at receiver in this draft class. Ridley's size (6-0, 189) and testing numbers in Indianapolis are worrisome -- he had one of the lowest vertical jumps (31 inches) of all the receivers. But then you turn on the tape, and Ridley is running past secondaries. He's always open, and he's a nightmare to try to tackle in the open field. He had 63 catches for 967 yards and five touchdowns in 2017, including touchdowns in both of the Crimson Tide's College Football Playoff games. And that was with inconsistent quarterback play. I like Ridley, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's available in the 20s. And he might be the second receiver off the board behind this next player.

18. D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
    Previous rank: 23
    As I wrote after the combine, Moore was the most impressive wide receiver in Indianapolis, putting up a 4.42 40 and 11-foot broad jump. He was a smooth pass-catcher in drills. And I think he's an impact punt returner on day one in the NFL. Don't be surprised if Moore (6-0, 210) is the first wide receiver selected in the first round, as some teams like him over Ridley. Moore had 80 catches for 1,033 yards and eight touchdowns last season.

19. Marcus Davenport, DE, UT San Antonio
    Previous rank: 14
    Scouts were buzzing about Davenport at the end of the season, and he impressed at the Senior Bowl and combine. He's one of the best pure pass-rushers in this class, even if he hasn't developed an arsenal of moves yet. At 6-6, 264 pounds, Davenport is a quick-twitch athlete who can play on his feet or with his hand in the dirt. He had 8.5 sacks and 17 tackles for loss in 2017 and had 6.5 sacks in 2016.

20. Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
    Previous rank: 20
    This cornerback class was jumbled at the top, and that's why the combine was so important. This is the position where 40 times matter most -- corners are often in dead sprints throughout games. Speed matters. Alexander has that -- he ran a 4.38 40. And his testing in the broad jump, three-cone and 20-yard shuttle ranked near the top of his class. Alexander played only six games in 2017 because of injuries, but he starred in 2016, picking off five passes. He's also a great punt returner. At 5-10, 196 pounds, Alexander is small, no doubt. But as teams are more regularly playing the nickel, that's not a big deal. Every team needs three competent corners, and versatility is important. That's why Alexander is rising into the first round.

21. Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
    Previous rank: 13
    I wrote last month that Miller reminds me of former Patriots left tackle Nate Solder, who went in the middle of the first round in 2011. They both have huge frames, and they have great feet. Miller was an under-the-radar prospect coming into the season because of a foot injury that forced him to miss most of 2016. But he came into his own in 2017, and he has a high ceiling. Miller (6-9, 309) put up freaky athletic numbers at the combine, running a 4.91 40 and jumping 10-foot-1 in the broad jump. He has the type of traits NFL teams fall in love with, especially in a tackle class that doesn't have a clear No. 1 guy.

22. Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
    Previous rank: 25
    McGlinchey is a massive athlete (6-8, 309) who looks like a tight end with pads on. He was dominant from the left side in Notre Dame's rout of USC in October. He plays with solid technique, and he can get to the second level for combo blocks, all while driving defenders off the ball in the running game. He played right tackle in 2015, then replaced first-round pick Ronnie Stanley on the left side in 2016.

23. Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
    Previous rank: 16
    Finally healthy late in the season after being hampered by a groin injury, Evans stood out on a defense loaded with NFL talent. He played outside early in his career at Alabama, and the versatility will help at the next level. Evans (6-2, 232) also can rush the passer; he had 15 career sacks. He finished the 2017 season with 13 tackles for loss, too. The Crimson Tide have a long history of producing talented linebackers, including Reuben Foster in the 2017 draft, and Evans is next up. The one question scouts have about Evans is speed, as he didn't run the 40 at the combine or at his pro day. On tape, though, he's a sure tackler who can run sideline to sideline.

24. Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
    Previous rank: NR
    Jackson was the best corner in college football in 2017, and he showed it by picking off Ohio State's J.T. Barrett three times in an upset win. He was phenomenal and showed off stellar hands. Jackson had eight total interceptions and broke up 18 passes in 2017, his first season as a starter. The 6-0, 196-pounder has also pitched in on punt returns, though he didn't break off any big returns. Jackson ran only a 4.56 40 at the combine, but he performed well in the other athletic testing.

25. Mike Hughes, CB, UCF
    Previous rank: NR
    Hughes emerged as a shutdown corner in his lone season at Central Florida, showing good anticipation in coverage and playing the run well, too. He had four interceptions in 2017, including one pick-six, and added 11 pass breakups. Hughes is also a phenomenal punt and kick returner -- he had three more touchdowns on returns. The arrow is pointing way up on Hughes (5-10, 189), who really came out of nowhere after playing at North Carolina in 2015 and a junior college in 2016.

26. Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
    27. Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas
    28. Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
    29. Justin Reid, S, Stanford
    30. Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia
    31. Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State
    32. Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina
    33. Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
    34. Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College
    35. Ronald Jones II, RB, USC
    36. Donte Jackson, CB, LSU
    37. Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State
    38. Geron Christian, OT, Louisville
    39. James Daniels, C, Iowa
    40. Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
    41. Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC
    42. Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
    43. Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
    44. Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
    45. Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis
    46. D.J. Chark, WR, LSU
    47. Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
    48. Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
    49. Connor Williams, OT, Texas
    50. Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan

51. Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia
    52. Jessie Bates III, S, Wake Forest
    53. Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
    54. Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana
    55. Brian O'Neill, OT, Pitt
    56. Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma
    57. Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State
    58. Austin Corbett, OG, Nevada
    59. Dante Pettis, WR, Washington
    60. James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
    61. Jordan Akins, TE, Central Florida
    62. Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State
    63. Luke Falk, QB, Washington State
    64. DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State
    65. Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State
    66. Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon
    67. Billy Price, C, Ohio State
    68. Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma
    69. Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State
    70. Braden Smith, OG, Auburn
    71. Josh Sweat, DE, Florida State
    72. Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford
    73. Arden Key, DE, LSU
    74. Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida
    75. Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State

76. Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State
    77. M.J. Stewart, CB, North Carolina
    78. Nyheim Hines, RB, NC State
    79. Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond
    80. Duke Dawson, CB, Florida
    81. Jordan Lasley, WR, UCLA
    82. Tre'Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida
    83. Desmond Harrison, OT, West Georgia
    84. Jalyn Holmes, DE, Ohio State
    85. Breeland Speaks, DE, Mississippi
    86. Holton Hill, CB, Texas
    87. Rasheem Green, DE, USC
    88. Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays State
    89. B.J. Hill, DT, NC State
    90. Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State
    91. Andrew Brown, DE, Virginia
    92. RJ McIntosh, DT, Miami (Fla.)
    93. Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt
    94. Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State
    95. Alex Cappa, OT, Humboldt State
    96. Ade Aruna, DE, Tulane
    97. Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest
    98. Da'Shawn Hand, DL, Alabama
    99. Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan
    100. Deon Cain, WR, Clemson

101. Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State
    102. Isaac Yiadom, CB, Boston College
    103. Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia
    104. Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa
    105. Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn
    106. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma
    107. Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas
    108. Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama
    109. Shaquem Griffin, OLB, Central Florida
    110. Matt Pryor, OG, TCU
    111. Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa
    112. Colby Gossett, OG, Appalachian State
    113. Dorian O'Daniel, OLB, Clemson
    114. Jerome Baker, OLB, Ohio State
    115. Kevin Toliver, CB, LSU
    116. Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn
    117. Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State
    118. Deadrin Senat, DT, South Florida
    119. Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech
    120. Kemoko Turay, OLB, Rutgers
    121. Fred Warner, OLB, BYU
    122. Parry Nickerson, CB, Tulane
    123. Kameron Kelly, S, San Diego State
    124. Auden Tate, WR, Florida State
    125. Kentavius Street, DE, NC State
    126. Leon Jacobs, OLB, Wisconsin
    127. Avonte Maddox, CB, Pitt
    128. Jaylen Samuels, HB, NC State
    129. Christian Campbell, CB, Penn State
    130. Tracy Walker, S, Louisiana-Lafayette
    131. Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon
    132. Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame
    133. Timon Parris, OT, Stony Brook
    134. Brandon Parker, OT, NC A&T
    135. Scott Quessenberry, C, UCLA
    136. Genard Avery, ILB, Memphis
    137. Mason Cole, C, Michigan
    138. Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin
    139. Taron Johnson, CB, Weber State
    140. Mike White, QB, Western Kentucky
    141. Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame
    142. Mark Walton, RB, Miami (Fla.)
    143. Simmie Cobbs, WR, Indiana
    144. Keke Coutee, WR, Texas Tech
    145. Folorunso Fatukasi, DT, Connecticut
    146. Marquis Haynes, OLB, Mississippi
    147. D'Montre Wade, CB, Murray State
    148. Chase Litton, QB, Marshall
    149. Chad Thomas, DE, Miami (Fla.)
    150. Jeff Holland, OLB, Auburn

151. Tarvarus McFadden, CB, Florida State
    152. Kyzir White, S, West Virginia
    153. Johnny Townsend, P, Florida
    154. Kyle Allen, QB, Houston
    155. Wyatt Teller, OG, Virginia Tech
    156. Keishawn Bierria, OLB, Washington
    157. Michael Dickson, P, Texas
    158. Chris Herndon, TE, Miami (Fla.)
    159. Tony Brown, CB, Alabama
    160. James Hearns, OLB, Louisville
    161. Daniel Carlson, PK, Auburn
    162. Will Richardson, OT, NC State
    163. JK Scott, P, Alabama
    164. Skyler Phillips, OG, Idaho State
    165. Davontae Harris, CB, Illinois State
    166. J'Mon Moore, WR, Missouri
    167. Hercules Mata'afa, DE, Washington State
    168. Trenton Thompson, DT, Georgia
    169. Joseph Noteboom, OT, TCU
    170. Matthew Thomas, OLB, Florida State
    171. Trey Quinn, WR, SMU
    172. Nick Bawden, FB, San Diego State
    173. Sam Jones, OG, Arizona State
    174. D.J. Reed, CB, Kansas State
    175. Jamil Demby, OT, Maine
    176. Eddy Pineiro, PK, Florida
    177. Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa
    178. Marcus Allen, S, Penn State
    179. Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State
    180. Kylie Fitts, DE, Utah
    181. Greg Senat, OT, Wagner
    182. Dylan Cantrell, WR, Texas Tech
    183. Brett Toth, OT, Army
    184. Will Clapp, C, LSU
    185. Justin Lawler, DE, SMU
    186. Quenton Meeks, CB, Stanford
    187. Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama
    188. Sean Welsh, OG, Iowa
    189. Siran Neal, CB, Jacksonville State
    190. Justin Watson, WR, Penn
    191. Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma
    192. Zach Sieler, DE, Ferris State
    193. Godwin Igwebuike, S, Northwestern
    194. Logan Woodside, QB, Toledo
    195. Deontay Burnett, WR, USC
    196. Will Dissly, TE, Washington
    197. DeShon Elliott, S, Texas
    198. Levi Wallace, CB, Alabama
    199. Korey Robertson, WR, Southern Mississippi
    200. Sione Teuhema, OLB, SE Louisiana

One important note: All of the prospects after 200 have fifth-to-seventh-round grades, which are similar. These players are essentially all in the same bucket.

201. Dalton Schultz, TE, Stanford
    202. Terrell Edmunds, S, Virginia Tech
    203. Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin
    204. Cole Madison, OT, Washington State
    205. Olasunkanmi Adeniyi, DE, Toledo
    206. Armani Watts, S, Texas A&M
    207. Javon Wims, WR, Georgia
    208. Jordan Thomas, TE, Mississippi State
    209. Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami (Fla.)
    210. Quin Blanding, S, Virginia
    211. Maea Teuhema, OG, SE Louisiana
    212. P.J. Hall, DT, Sam Houston State