Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nick's "Wait, we've only got a month to go?" Rams Mock Draft (ver. 1)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick's "Wait, we've only got a month to go?" Rams Mock Draft (ver. 1)

We are a little less than a month away from the NFL Draft, so i thought I’d throw together a Rams mock. I used The Draft Network’s mock draft simulator, which I’m finding fascinating and enjoyable every time I use it. Here are the results I got from today’s simulation, with some explanations behind the picks...

1.31: DeAndre Baker, CB, Georgia
    -With this pick, I was prioritizing offensive and defensive linemen as well as edge rushers, but Baker was the best value on the board. Both Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib are entering contract years, and even if the Rams bring Peters back, Talib is 33-years-old and shouldn’t be counted on for the long haul. Baker might be a bit of luxury pick, but it allows the Rams to groom an eventual starter at a position that is very important to Wade Phillips’s scheme.

3.94: Connor McGovern, OL, Penn State
    -The Rams obviously need offensive line help, whether it’s merely depth behind some worthy starters or someone to push for starting time along the inside. McGovern was again one of the best values on the board at this spot, and I think he offers the Rams starter potential down the road. Austin Blythe is a free agent after this year, and eventually Joe Noteboom will shift to left tackle. McGovern could be groomed to take the left or right guard spot in 2020 while providing immediate depth.

3.99: Daylon Mack, DL, Texas A&M
    -Many mocks have the Rams looking for defensive tackle help in the first round, and rightfully so. While the Rams have replaced LaMarcus Joyner and have retained Dante Fowler, they haven’t filled the hole left by Ndamukong Suh. Texas A&M’s Daylon Mack is surprisingly explosive for his size, and can help in run defense the way Suh was expected to.

4.133: Wyatt Ray, LB, Boston College
    -The Rams brought Dante Fowler back on a one-year contract, so he’s still essentially in that “prove me” stage with the team. I don’t think he’s done enough to warrant a big extension, but his addition certainly improved the defense in 2018. That being said, the Rams need more help rushing the passer from guys not named Aaron Donald. Clay Matthews will be a short term option across from Fowler, and while the Rams have some bodies they’d like to see develop, it’s worth taking a shot on another one here on Day Three with Ray.

5.169: Will Harris, DB, Boston College
    -I kind of feel that Harris being available in the fifth round was a bit of a steal in this simulation, but I might be higher on him than some. Harris, to me, is just an all around solid player. He’s probably not going to wow you, but he is a reliable starter at the college level who could learn for a year or two behind Weddle before eventually - maybe - taking his place in the starting line-up. Worst case scenario, a guy like Harris sticks on your roster as a valuable backup and special teams player.

6.203: Karan Higdon, RB, Michigan
    -Four of the last five picks have been on defense, so that played into my thought process here a bit. I’m not sure that there are tremendous needs on the offensive side of the ball that haven’t been addressed, but adding some competition to the backfield may be one area to look at. We’re all crossing our fingers and toes that Todd Gurley returns to form after a restful offseason, and the Rams did bring back Malcolm Brown as a restricted free agent. To me, Higdon profiles as an aggressive runner who could carve out a role as someone who could spell Gurley for a handful of carries if needed.

7.251: Tre Lamar, LB, Clemson
    -Lamar is a beefcake presence on the inside, and after watching Mark Barron try to fill an inside linebacker role, Lamar’s huge frame may be a welcome change. I don’t foresee the Clemson standout earning immediate playing time, but his size would be appealing as someone who could mix in on different packages or at least contribute on special teams.

Cool, thanks Nick. 1 - 5 certainly covers the teams needs...

Personally, I think the Rams are quietly high on Kiser and won't be grabbing an extra middle LB. Instead, I see it more likely they use the 6th on another OL for depth and camp competition, and if they grab a runner, wait til the 7th for that.

EDIT: nevermind... allow me to back off my previous comment. I thought we had Hager for one more year before he was UFA. With Kiser's promotion, Rams would need another beefy guy for backup and special teams.
    Last edited by KoaKoi; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Nick, I take my hat off to you for your mock effort. I have no disagreements with these selections although Baker is a bit of a diva who may rival Peters for the most difficult personality in the locker room. Personally, if he's there I prefer Rock Ya Sin.

I really don't want to derail your post, but in truth, I see the Rams trading down from #31 into the 2nd round if they get a deal that works for them. To me this draft is very thin past the early top 10-12 picks. I feel the Rams don't want to pay first round money to a day 2 talent. This draft is a mid round value type draft, imo. The best evidence is WalterFootball in their prospect rankings using rounds 1-3 as their projected selection for many top ranked players. Les Snead may earn his salary in this draft as a master trader.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
        Cool, thanks Nick. 1 - 5 certainly covers the teams needs...

Personally, I think the Rams are quietly high on Kiser and won't be grabbing an extra middle LB. Instead, I see it more likely they use the 6th on another OL for depth and camp competition, and if they grab a runner, wait til the 7th for that.

EDIT: nevermind... allow me to back off my previous comment. I thought we had Hager for one more year before he was UFA. With Kiser's promotion, Rams would need another beefy guy for backup and special teams.
        I'm hoping Kiser can step in and fill one of those starting ILB spots next to Littleton. but as you said, there really isn't any depth behind them. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams brought in a veteran at the minimum deal when it was all said and done, but they could look in the later rounds for a solid situational fill in/special teams guy.

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
          Nick, I take my hat off to you for your mock effort. I have no disagreements with these selections although Baker is a bit of a diva who may rival Peters for the most difficult personality in the locker room. Personally, if he's there I prefer Rock Ya Sin.

I really don't want to derail your post, but in truth, I see the Rams trading down from #31 into the 2nd round if they get a deal that works for them. To me this draft is very thin past the early top 10-12 picks. I feel the Rams don't want to pay first round money to a day 2 talent. This draft is a mid round value type draft, imo. The best evidence is WalterFootball in their prospect rankings using rounds 1-3 as their projected selection for many top ranked players. Les Snead may earn his salary in this draft as a master trader.

Go Rams!
          Well if there's one thing we know about the current Rams regime, it's that they aren't afraid to take on personalities.

And no derailment happening at all - I also think the most likely scenario is working out a trade down. That's probably more likely than any one player, but TDN's site wouldn't allow me to entertain simulated trade offers.

I like Ya-Sin as well, and think he'd be a very solid choice. I wonder if the team could maybe get him with a move down into the high second round, but then again, you don't necessarily want to get too cute and lose out on a guy you like.

There could potentially be some DL talent available with a possible trade down - Dexter Lawrence, Jerry Tillery, Jeffery Simmons - but then again, I could see situations where two or even all three of those guys go before the Rams pick.

There could be some good offensive line help as well, either at #31 or early on the second day if the Rams trade down. I know the Rams think they have their interior basically set for 2019 with Noteboom and Allen, but with Joe moving outside eventually to take Whitworth's spot, and IMO I don't know how confident I am in Blythe long term, so an interior blocker would be a solid choice. I would give two thumbs up to Bradbury, Lindstrom, Risner, or even McCoy either at #31 or after a trade down.

I think there are enough solid options in that late first round early to mid second round range to warrant a trade down and still being able to grab a guy that can help right away and for the long haul.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

Well if there's one thing we know about the current Rams regime, it's that they aren't afraid to take on personalities.

And no derailment happening at all - I also think the most likely scenario is working out a trade down. That's probably more likely than any one player, but TDN's site wouldn't allow me to entertain simulated trade offers.

I like Ya-Sin as well, and think he'd be a very solid choice. I wonder if the team could maybe get him with a move down into the high second round, but then again, you don't necessarily want to get too cute and lose out on a guy you like.

There could potentially be some DL talent available with a possible trade down - Dexter Lawrence, Jerry Tillery, Jeffery Simmons - but then again, I could see situations where two or even all three of those guys go before the Rams pick.

There could be some good offensive line help as well, either at #31 or early on the second day if the Rams trade down. I know the Rams think they have their interior basically set for 2019 with Noteboom and Allen, but with Joe moving outside eventually to take Whitworth's spot, and IMO I don't know how confident I am in Blythe long term, so an interior blocker would be a solid choice. I would give two thumbs up to Bradbury, Lindstrom, Risner, or even McCoy either at #31 or after a trade down.

I think there are enough solid options in that late first round early to mid second round range to warrant a trade down and still being able to grab a guy that can help right away and for the long haul.
            You're right about the difficult personalities, plus there are enough solid vets on the team to quell any locker room disruptions. Also McVay seems very good at communicating with players and getting them to focus on the team's key objective.

On the DL talent, Tillery scares me based on what I've read about him on WalterFootball and Simmons is probably a 2020 availability based on injury. Lawrence could be OK, but if I had to choose I'd want Christian Wilkens, his teammate. No assurances either will be there at #31. I keep wondering if no one offers Suh the money he wants, he drops to a level the Rams are happy and able to pay. He wants to stay on the West Coast.

I like your O-Lineman prospects, but Bradbury appears to be a pure center, no option of playing guard. My fave is Lindstrom. He fits with your other BC picks.

I can't remember being this unsure of how the Rams are approaching the draft.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

You're right about the difficult personalities, plus there are enough solid vets on the team to quell any locker room disruptions. Also McVay seems very good at communicating with players and getting them to focus on the team's key objective.

On the DL talent, Tillery scares me based on what I've read about him on WalterFootball and Simmons is probably a 2020 availability based on injury. Lawrence could be OK, but if I had to choose I'd want Christian Wilkens, his teammate. No assurances either will be there at #31. I keep wondering if no one offers Suh the money he wants, he drops to a level the Rams are happy and able to pay. He wants to stay on the West Coast.

I like your O-Lineman prospects, but Bradbury appears to be a pure center, no option of playing guard. My fave is Lindstrom. He fits with your other BC picks.

I can't remember being this unsure of how the Rams are approaching the draft.

Go Rams!
              Tillery has some red flags, no doubt. If you can control him off the field, the on-field product would be great next to Donald and Brockers. Simmons could be like a Jaylon Smith situation; maybe the impact this year is minimal if anything at all, but you're getting a Top 10 talent at a significantly reduced cost. I prefer Wilkins to Lawrence as well, but I don't think the former falls to the Rams. If he did, then I think it means moving Brockers back to the nose and having Wilkins play the defensive end/tackle spot. Whereas Lawrence definitely fills Suh's role in the nose. But I like Wilkins a lot as a fit for the Falcons, if they don't trade up for Ed Oliver.

I can see Lindstrom sneaking into the first round, and I think he'd be a great fit for the Rams. I agree that Bradbury is more of a center than a guard, but I think he'd be a long term upgrade over Allen. And I like Allen, but I think you're looking at a guy in Bradbury who could take it to another level on the inside. I wouldn't rule out Cody Ford of OU if the league doesn't think he can play tackle and he gets pushed down the board. But all of this talk, and the Rams may be content with the starting group they have and bypass linemen here.

It is tough to predict at this point, mostly because we're not used to having so many options. Bad Rams teams picking in the Top 5-10 are easier to peg down; there are only so many variables. Picking near the end of the round makes it that much more challenging.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                Nick’s “No First Rounder? No Problem!” Mock Draft 2.0
                by Nick
                Well, the last time I made a mock, the Rams were still sitting pretty with the 23rd overall pick. Now, that’s been moved to New England in exchange for Brandin Cooks, and Rams fans may have to wait until late Friday night to see the team make their first selection.

It’s hard enough to predict what’s going to happen in the first round of the draft, let alone late into Day Two and Three, but using the FanSpeak draft simulator loaded up with rankings from CBS Sports’ Chris Trapasso, here’s one look at how the Rams could do…

87: R3P23: LORENZO CARTER, OLB, GEORGIA
                -The Rams traded one Bulldog linebacker away this offseason (Ogletree), but if the stars align, could find themselves with a chance to add another in Carter. The Norcross native had an inconsistent career at Georgia but seemed to be finding his stride as a senior, then excelled at Combine testing. He’s a lean missile off the edge, and could help the Rams replace some of the pass rush prowess they lost after trading Robert Quinn.

111: R4P11: AUSTIN CORBETT, OL, NEVADA
                -Corbett reminds me of one of those “jack of all trades” types of prospect. He doesn’t really excel at one thing, but is polished and solid all the way around. He was a team captain as a sophomore, and has spent a lot of time at left tackle. But his future probably lies inside, either at guard or center.

135: R4P35: MICAH KISER, LB, VIRGINIA
                -A guy like Kiser isn’t going to completely replace Alec Ogletree as an inside linebacker, but he’s a physical presence who can go to work inside the box and make an impact as a rotational player or even two down type. He’s the kind of prospect I could see Wade Phillips liking and molding into a workable starter in this scheme.

136: R4P36: MARK WALTON, RB, MIAMI (FLA.)
                -I hadn’t intended to go running back this high in the simulation, but Walton was available here and, with three fourth round picks, I thought perhaps he was a luxury I could afford. I like his potential as a change of pace and third down back, knowing that the Rams will only succeed if they’re able to keep starter Todd Gurley healthy and occasionally rested during the season.

176: R6P2: JOSEY JEWELL, LB, IOWA
                -Iowa has a number of linebackers playing in the NFL, and I think Jewell is going to add his name to the list as a solid Day 3 prospect for whoever gets him. He doesn’t have ideal size or physical traits, but here’s a guy with a lot of motor and instincts whom coaches are going to want on their unit. Between Kiser and Jewell, combined with Littleton and Hager, I think the Rams could fill the void next to Mark Barron.

183: R6P9: ISAAC YIADOM, DB, BOSTON COLLEGE
                -The Rams are pretty set for the immediate future at cornerback, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be looking at guys who could help them in the long term at the position. In Yiadom, I see a guy who has positive size and toughness...
                -04-13-2018, 07:02 PM
              • Nick
                Nick's "Less Than a Week to Go" Mock Draft 3.0
                by Nick
                It’s been a week since my last Rams mock draft, so I thought I’d use FanSpeak to simulate another one. In the interest of getting some varied projections, I am using my third different set of rankings in as many tries for this projection, opting to go with NFL Draft Scout. Let’s see how the Rams do!

R3P23: KEMOKO TURAY, LB, RUTGERS
                -This isn’t a great class for edge rushers, and the Rams elected to bypass some of the better ones in favor of trading their first round pick for Brandin Cooks. That means they’ll either have to live with what they’ve got or find some diamonds in the draft. Turay could be such a diamond. Though he has some medical concerns that would have to be cleared by team doctors, there’s no question that the Rutgers product offers some very explosive pass rush ability off the edge.

R4P11: GERON CHRISTIAN, OT, LOUISVILLE
                -The Rams are in a tough spot, because this isn’t a strong class for a number of the positions they need, and again, that’s complicated by the fact that they’re picking in the mid rounds at the earliest (barring a trade). While Andrew Whitworth has been a fantastic addition on the left side of the line, he’s not going to play forever. Christian is an offensive tackle prospect with potential, and could learn behind Whitworth before possibly taking over for him.

R4P35: MASON COLE, C, MICHIGAN
                -I hadn’t planned to go back to back on offensive linemen in the fourth round, but seeing Cole still available at this pick during the simulation was too good to pass up. Cole is an athletic interior lineman who could add some power to his game as part of a pro strength program, and thought some question his ceiling at the next level, I think he could grow into a dependable man in the middle of an NFL offensive line.

R4P36: GENARD AVERY, LB, MEMPHIS
                -This might be a bit higher than some would prefer for Avery, but I am really intrigued by this guy as a force on the inside of this defense. He’s 6’1” and 248 pounds, and ran a sub-4.6 forty yard dash at the Combine. The guy is built like a tank but also offers some positional versatility with some pass rush skills. He strikes me as the kind of impactful hard-nosed force that would pair well with Mark Barron at inside linebacker.

R6P2: JUSTIN JONES, DL, NORTH CAROLINA STATE
                -Now begins the section of my mock where I end up going back to some prospects I selected in previous versions. Jones was a fourth round pick in my previous mock, but a different set of rankings and different simulation had him available here. Jones strikes me as a developmental nose tackle prospect who is going to love learning from Ndamukong Suh, Aaron Donald, and Michael Brockers.

R6P9: AKRUM WADLEY, RB, IOWA
                -The second of my repeat picks from March, Wadley is likely not going to challenge anyone for a feature back role, but has the potential to become a quality third down back in this league....
                -04-21-2018, 06:41 AM
              • Nick
                Rams Mock Draft: There’s so much work ahead, but it is never too early to project
                by Nick
                Rams Mock Draft: There’s so much work ahead, but it is never too early to project
                By Vincent Bonsignore Dec 26, 2018

The​ Rams still aren’t sure​ who​ they’ll​ play in the​ first round of​ the playoffs,​ let alone​ whether they’ll skip​ the Wild​​ Card round by earning a free pass through the first week, so you can probably imagine where they are in the process of finalizing their 2019 draft plans.

Put it this way, we haven’t even gotten to the main course of the college football bowl season, so there is still an incredible amount of scouting, background checking, analyzing and assessing to do before anyone can truly say they’ve got a handle on next April’s draft.

And that doesn’t even account for the self-scouting they’ll do of their current roster to decide what their most pressing needs might be.

(Hint: The Rams will be looking for defensive help, specifically on the defensive line, edge pass rusher, linebacker and safety and there is always room for young cornerbacks and offensive linemen to groom. Granted, some of those areas will be filled through free agency, which precedes the draft by a month, but for every hole that gets filled another is liable to be created.)

Keep in mind, safety Lamarcus Joyner, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and outside linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. are all unrestricted free agents at the end of the season, and how their situations unfold will go a long way in determining where the Rams zero in come April.

That said, while most hands are on deck as the Rams prepare to mount a postseason march they hope reaches Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta, an incredible amount of resources and staff hours are being devoted to a future that extends well beyond this season.

Specifically, maximizing the seven picks they expect to have when the draft unfolds in Nashville in four months.

As we sit today, general manager Les Snead and his scouting staff continue to chip away at their draft board. They’ll typically assemble a 150-player big board and, considering the pace of these things, are likely nearing the halfway point of that process.

But there are still a ton of data banks left to tap into as they tweak and tinker and adjust that board over the next few months, including the Jan. 15 deadline for college juniors to decide whether they are declaring for the draft or returning for their senior years. The official infusion of those juniors to the current crop of prospects will certainly change draft boards across the NFL.

Beyond that are big-time scouting events at the East-West Shrine game on Jan. 19 in St. Petersberg, Fla., which features more than 100 FBS Division I players, and the Senior Bowl a week later in Mobile Alabama.

The NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis takes place in late February, at which more than 300 prospects...
                -12-27-2018, 06:01 AM
              • Nick
                Nick's One Month to Go Rams Mock Draft
                by Nick
                We’re just about a month out, so I thought I’d put together a mock. I used the mock simulator on FanSpeak and Scott Wright’s Draft Countdown big board to come up with the projection. Thoughts included for each pick…

23: R1P23 - HAROLD LANDRY, LB, BOSTON COLLEGE
                -The Rams need to replace two starting outside linebackers, and while it’s certainly possible that Matt Longacre locks down one of those jobs, the Rams could use their first round pick to fill the other. Landry has a number of outstanding physical traits, and could be polished into something special under Phillips’ guidance.

87: R3P23 - JAMARCO JONES, OT, OHIO ST.
                -I was looking more towards the interior line with this pick, but Jones jumped out at me as a candidate to groom behind Whitworth at left tackle.

111: R4P11 - NICK NELSON, CB, WISCONSIN
                -Nelson was one of the better values on the board at this point, and seems to be well suited for the defensive scheme. Coaching and watching two Pro Bowl caliber corners every day in practice could help improve his ball skills and technique.

135: R4P35 - JUSTIN JONES, DL, NORTH CAROLINA ST.
                -I thought about Jones earlier in the round but waited, and was rewarded when he remained available near the end of the round. Jones is solid all around, and could be a rotational player or compete for some time between Brockers and Donald.

176: R6P2 - MIKE MCCRAY, LB, MICHIGAN
                -One of the things the Rams have said about replacing Ogletree is that it might not be just one guy who can do it. I look at McCray’s physicality inside as a good compliment with the more athletic Mark Barron. If the medical checks out, he’s worth taking a flier on.

183: R6P9 - KENDRICK NORTON, DL, UCLA
                -I was a bit surprised that Norton lasted this long in the simulation, but I can see where some have him downgraded due to lack of pass rush potential. Still, the Rams need to improve against the run and Norton has nose tackle potential in the middle of the defensive line.

194: R6P20 - SCOTT QUESSENBERRY, OL, UCLA
                -Quessenberry fulfilled my desire to add some interior depth to the offensive line, so I’m thankful he was still around in the sixth round. Great hand use and lots of experience, he could develop into a starter at either guard or center down the road.

195: R6P21 - AKRUM WADLEY, RB, IOWA
                -I think Wadley’s lean frame might cause him to slip, as he likely is destined for merely a change of pace or specialist role at the next level. However, I love the idea of the Rams spending a late round pick on a pass catching weapon out of the backfield to give Gurley a breather at times.

198: R6P24 - JAVON WIMS, WR, GEORGIA
                -Wims has great size and ball skills, and I love how well he plucks the ball out of the air. I could see him competing right away for playing time as a WR4 or WR5 in this offense, especially in red...
                -03-23-2018, 12:01 PM
              • Harry S. Truman
                Mock Draft- Off-Season
                by Harry S. Truman
                First, here's my predicted free agent signings..

- Chase Blackburn
                OLB
                Giants

- He's a steady tackler, not much of a pass rusher, but he's consistent all around otherwise. On top of things, he's got a good work ethic, and is familiar with a Spagnulo run defense. At 26, he's still got some upside yet.

- Leigh Bodden
                CB
                Patriots

- Bodden was New England's best DB in 2009, picking off 5 passes, while racking up 55 tackles and more importantly helping New England improve their pass defense, and was crucial in helping the Pats cut their allowed passing touchdown numbers.

- Charlie Whitehurst
                QB
                Chargers

Has a good arm with accuracy, good size for the position and has spent his first three seasons in the NFL learning behind one of the NFL's best young QB (Phillip Rivers) and a very good QB developer as Head Coach (Norv Turner).

Rivers has actually gone on record and said that Whitehurst is overdue for a starting QB opportunity, and stated when he gets the chance, some team will be glad they gave him that shot.

I view Whitehurst as a low risk, high reward pickup. He likely won't cost much, and if he develops, the Rams have their QB situation solved. If not, it was a low risk signing and they can focus their attentions to adding a QB in the first in next year's draft.

Re-sign

O.J. Atogwe
                Alex Barron
                Leonard Little

Lastly.. Bring back Bulger as a backup.

And.. The draft.

Round 1
                - Ndamukong Suh
                DT
                Nebraska

Suh is just what the doctor ordered for this defense. I think they've already got some pieces in place for future success, Suh will be the addition that could make them that much stronger. Suh, Long and Laurinitis is a very solid core, and one that could be dangerous for years to come.

Traditionally, teams don't spend #1 overall picks, and the money associated with it on Defensive Tackles.. Then again, Suh isn't your traditional DT.

Round 2
                - Brandon LaFell
                WR
                LSU

I think WR is the biggest weakness on the Rams offense. While I like Donnie Avery, they need more.

I think LaFell could quietly, when it's all said and done, become the best of this class. He has good route running skills and leaping ability; good size; good field vision and body control; has a competitive streak a mile long; is very productive and gets good YPC numbers because of his ability to break tackles and take hits. He's not going to ever win a foot race. He isn't slow by any means, but his timed sped won't ever wow you, however his other intangibles more than make up for the "lack of speed".

He reminds me a large amount of Dwayne Bowe (and not just because both went to LSU). Bowe has quietly had a very good start to his career...
                -02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
              Working...
              X