• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams 2019 Mock Draft Roundup: Fifth edition

Rams 2019 Mock Draft Roundup: Fifth edition
    Monday, Apr 01, 2019 12:10 PM
    Myles Simmons
    RAMS INSIDER

As the calendar flips to April, we are just 25 days away from the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft. And as the date draws closer, analysts are putting in even more mocks.

In this week’s edition of the roundup, we have a few projections that are similar to what they’ve been in previous weeks, a couple outliers, and also a couple seven-round projections.

With that, here’s the fifth edition of this year’s mock draft roundup.

—————

Let’s start with one of the outliers, because it is a pretty big one: NFL.com's Peter Schrager has the Rams selecting Penn State running back Miles Sanders with their first-round pick.

“Sanders isn't getting the same pre-draft buzz as other running backs in this class, but his combine performance turned heads around the league. His pass-catching ability -- SEE: the Indiana game, when he hauled in six catches for 54 yards -- helps him. Los Angeles will look to add a complement (with the ability to catch passes out of the backfield) for Todd Gurley at some point in this draft,” Schrager writes.

With running back Todd Gurley already under contract through the 2023 season, this would be a pretty radical move for the first round — even if the Rams would like to better monitor Gurley’s snaps to keep him fresh.

A second-team All-Big Ten honoree in 2018, Sanders rushed for 1,274 yards with nine touchdowns and caught 24 passes for 139 yards in his first year as a starter at Penn State following the departure of now-Giants running back Saquon Barkley. Overall, Sanders recorded 308 touches for 1,842 yards with 13 touchdowns in his three collegiate seasons.

—————

Two analysts have Los Angeles selecting North Carolina State center Garrett Bradbury this week: ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. and USA Today Touchdown Wire’s Doug Farrar.

From Kiper ($$): Bradbury had a fantastic week at the Senior Bowl in January, and he followed it up with a strong combine workout, which has him on the fringes of Round 1. With the Rams moving on from John Sullivan this offseason, this is a straight like-for-like replacement, as Bradbury (6-foot-3, 306 pounds) could step in and start on Day 1. Cornerback is another position to watch for L.A., with the futures of Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib uncertain.”

From Farrar: “The Rams moved on from center John Sullivan and left guard Rodger Saffold after their Super Bowl defeat, and if they want to get back to that big game, interior protection for Jared Goff is a must. Bradbury isn’t an old-school power center, but his near-flawless fundamentals, second-level speed and understanding of schematic concepts would allow Sean McVay to not only unleash his passing concepts, but also to extract the most out of his run game.”

Bradbury was the 2018 Rimington Trophy winner as the best center in college football. He was initially a tight end at NC State before switching to the offensive line in 2015 after a redshirt season in 2014. A three-year starter, Bradbury checked into the Combine at 6-foot-3 and 306 pounds. He put up 34 reps on the bench press.

—————

At SB Nation, Dan Kadar has L.A. taking Temple cornerback Rock Ya-Sin at No. 31.

"Chances are the Rams will try to trade back from No. 31 to accumulate an extra pick or two. If a defensive back is the move, that’s especially true. The Rams should be able to find a starter either at safety or cornerback in the 40s. But if they hold, a player like Ya-Sin has top-32 talent,” Kadar writes.

A 5-foot-11, 192-pound corner, Ya-Sin started collegiate career at Presbyterian College but transferred to Temple after the former’s program decided to move down from FCS to Division II in football. In 2018, Ya-Sin played 12 games, recorded 47 total tackles, picked off two passes, and recorded 12 passes defensed. He ran a 4.51 40 and recorded a 39.5-inch vertical jump at the Combine.

—————

In a three-round mock, Ryan Wilson of CBS Sports has L.A. picking up Kansas State offensive lineman Dalton Risner.

“Risner was one of the best college right tackles last season and he did nothing to change that with solid performances at the Senior Bowl and the combine. He'll likely make his living as an interior linemen in the NFL but he could play tackle too,” Wilson writes.

Should Los Angeles pick up Risner, he would almost certainly slot in and an interior lineman, as the Rams locked up starting right tackle Rob Havenstein with a four-year contract through the 2022 season last August.

Risner was named the Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the year for his redshirt senior season at K-State, where he started all 12 games at right tackle. Risner’s also one of just five players in program history to be a three-year captain for Kansas State. He started 13 games at center as a redshirt freshman, before moving over to right tackle for the 2016 season. He subsequently started each game for the program at that spot from 2016-2018.

In this third round, Wilson has L.A. taking Texas cornerback Kris Boyd at No. 94 overall and Miami DT Gerald Willis at No. 99.

On Boyd, Wilson Writes: “Boyd is a physical player who can sometimes get in trouble when he's out of position, drawing defensive pass interference penalties. He ran an impressive 4.45 40 at the combine.”

And on Willis, Wilson writes: “Willis is a hand-in-the-dirt, interior defensive lineman who has a quick first step and will fit in nicely along the Rams' D-line."

——————

Also at NFL.com, Chad Reuter has a four-round mock that starts with L.A. picking up LSU cornerback Greedy Williams at No. 31.

“With Aqib Talib on the back end of his career and Marcus Peters coming off an up-and-down season, the Rams may decide to shore up this position," Reuter writes.

With an apt name for a cornerback — Williams’ given first name is Andraez — Williams was a consensus All-American in 2018 and named first-team All-SEC in 2017 and 2018. Williams made eight interceptions and recorded 19 passes defensed between those two systems.

Additionally, Reuter has the Rams bringing in Texas A&M defensive tackle Kingsley Keke at No. 94, Ohio State offensive guard Michael Jordan at No. 99, and Ohio State running back Mike Webber at No. 133.

On Keke, Reuter writes, “Keke's length and agility could push him into the top 75 picks. The Rams would love to select him here, though, as they may need to replace both Ndamukong Suh and Ethan Westbrooks.”

On Jordan, Reuter writes, “Rams coaches believe second-year players Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen can take over for the departed Rodger Saffold and John Sullivan inside -- but why not pick up Jordan, who could play either guard or center if needed?”

And on Webber, Reuter writes, “C.J. Anderson did what he could for the Rams when Todd Gurley wasn't on the field. Weber presents a more varied skill set, though, and could be a solid complement to the healthy version of the team's star.”

—————

Finally, in a seven-round mock, The Athletic’s Vinny Bonsignore has L.A. trading its first-round pick to Washington in order to gain more draft capital.

Bonsignore writes ($$), “The potential fall of Duke quarterback Daniel Jones, and Washington’s need to secure a quarterback of the future, creates a trade match. The Rams swap their first-round pick for Washington’s second-round pick (at No. 45) and third-round pick (at No. 96). Also, the Rams throw in one of their third-round picks (No. 99) and get Washington’s third-round pick (at No. 76). In doing so, the Rams end up with four of the draft’s first 96 picks (Nos. 45, 76, 94 and 96).”

So with the first pick in this scenario, Bonsignore has Los Angeles selecting Mississippi State defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons — who tore his ACL while preparing for the NFL Combine.

“Before his injury, Simmons was considered a top-10 pick with Pro Bowl potential, as a fierce inside pass rusher and a dominant run stopper. A case could be made for drafting Tillery or Wilkins, both of whom project as day-one starters and are on track to get on the field much sooner than Simmons. For a team in win-now mode, it makes plenty of sense for the Rams to go with an immediate-impact option. Still, it’s not every day a player as talented as Simmons is available in the second round. Their need to fill the hole left by Suh is pressing, but the Rams think big-picture at No. 45 and land one of the best players in the draft,” Bonsignore writes.

The rest of Bonsignore’s picks in his mock scenario are:

No. 76 (from Washington): Zach Allen, DE, Boston College

No. 94: Julian Love, CB Notre Dame

No. 96 (from Washington): Michael Jordan, G, Ohio State

No. 133: Cameron Smith, ILB, USC

No. 169: Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston

No. 203: Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State

No. 251: Will Harris, S Boston College

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
    2019 Rams Mock Draft Roundup: Fourth edition
    by Nick
    2019 Rams Mock Draft Roundup: Fourth edition
    Monday, Mar 25, 2019 01:05 PM
    Myles Simmons
    RAMS INSIDER

With the first wave of free agency all clear, analysts have started to key in on a few different positions for the Rams at the 31st overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

The NFL Draft is just a month away, with Rd. 1 taking place on April 25. Here are the latest predictions from around the web.

—————

Let’s start with the most popular pick this week in Clemson defensive lineman Christian Wilkins.

Three analysts have the Rams taking Wilkins at No. 31 in this edition of the roundup: NFL.com's Lance Zierlein, Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, and USA Today TouchdownWire’s Doug Farrar.

From Zierlein: “Wilkins is an upfield defensive tackle with the ability to get into gaps and bring the ruckus, just like defensive coordinator Wade Phillips likes.”

From Miller: “Free agency has left the Rams with more holes, but an aggressive front office will find ways to plug those holes. Like adding Eric Weddle and Clay Matthews on team-friendly, veteran deals to add talent while appealing to players who want a chance at a Super Bowl ring. Barring a return of Ndamukong Suh, the Rams could look to fill his role in the defense by selecting a hard-nosed, high-motor tackle from Clemson at No. 31 overall. Wilkins is a solid athlete who's best trait is his relentless style of play. Coaches rave about his leadership and work ethic, which is contagious. Playing next to Aaron Donald, Wilkins could be a big problem for centers and guards in the NFL.”

From Farrar: “With Ndamukong Suh out to market … it may be time for the Rams to give Aaron Donald a new buddy. If circumstances allow Wilkins to drop this far on the board, one can imagine general manager Les Snead rushing to the podium to turn in a card with his name on it. He’d be a prefect fit in Wade Phillips’ attack fronts, and Wilkins is as clean off the field as they come.”

Checking into the Combine at 6-foot-3 and 315 pounds, Wilkins is regarded as one of the top defensive tacks in the draft. Winner of the 2018 William V. Campbell trophy — known as the “Academic Heisman” — Wilkins recorded 40.5 tackles for loss and 16.0 sacks in his career at Clemson. Wilkins was a unanimous All-American in 2018 and is a three-time first-team All-ACC honoree.

He can also do the splits.

—————

Another popular pick this week was center Garrett Bradbury out of North Carolina State, with NFL.com teammates Bucky Brooks and Charles Davis mocking him to the Rams at No. 31.

From Brooks: “High IQ pivot with outstanding movement skills and technique. Bradbury plays like a 10-year vet at the position and would add more youth and athleticism to the frontline.”

From Davis: “Impressed at the Senior Bowl and the Combine. The Rams find a Day 1 starter to replace...
    4 weeks ago
  • Nick
    Tuls | Pre-Senior Bowl 2018 NFL Mock Draft
    by Nick
    Tuls | Pre-Senior Bowl 2018 NFL Mock Draft
    By Jonah Tuls
    Published on January 17, 2018

My first 2018 NFL Mock Draft of the season is here with the Senior Bowl only a couple of days away. Just a reminder: This is not an exercise of where I think the players *should* go, but it is what I think *would* happen if the draft were held today. For instance, I have players like Quenton Meeks, Jordan Whitehead and Jamarco Jones higher on my board than I believe NFL teams do at this point in the process. Read and judge accordingly, and remember: I hate your favorite team. Enjoy.

1. Cleveland Browns – Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Sam Darnold is my QB1, and I also believe he will be the QB1 on most NFL boards when it is all said and done. With his intangibles, arm talent, athleticism, production on tape, and upside, I think he would be a no-brainer for Cleveland.

2. New York Giants – Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

The New York Giants are a wildcard team because they very well trade out of this spot to a desperate team looking to move up for a quarterback. This team does not expect to be picking here often, and with Eli Manning’s future uncertain, it would be wise to capitalize and draft his successor in such a premium spot.

3. Indianapolis Colts – Bradley Chubb, EDGE, NC State

Indianapolis is another team that could trade down to acquire more picks and replenish a depleted roster, but in this scenario, the most likely option here would be NC State edge defender Bradley Chubb. Some may argue for Barkley here, but I think Chris Ballard makes the gamble that there would be a starting-caliber running back at the top of the second round.

4. Cleveland Browns (via HOU) – Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

I can just see Cleveland Browns fans booing this pick because it is not Saquon Barkley. When you look what John Dorsey did by drafting Kareem Hunt in the third round last year for Kansas City, he may try the same route again in a deep class. Minkah Fitzpatrick is an elite talent and immediate impact player at any spot in the secondary. Think of him as a souped-up Tyrann Mathieu.

5. Denver Broncos – Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

I apologize in advance, Broncos fans. With the connections the team will have by coaching the North team in the Senior Bowl, I think this coaching staff will be blown away by Allen’s flash plays in an All-Star environment. Unless someone jumps ahead of Denver, I think this is one of my surest bets of the first round.

6. New York Jets – Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

The Jets finally get their quarterback of the future, and I think Baker Mayfield would be a perfect fit for John Morton’s offense. If they can grab a starting-caliber running back on Day 2, this offense suddenly becomes really fun to watch. Mayfield will need to have favorable measurements at the Senior Bowl and Combine to solidify...
    -01-17-2018, 01:51 PM
  • Nick
    The Official 2018 NFL Combine Thread
    by Nick
    2018 NFL Combine: Prospects with the most on the line in Indianapolis
    The draft stocks of these prospects will change the most based on their performances at the combine
    by Chris Trapasso
    CBSSports.com Feb 21, 2018 • 7 min read

Yes, film trumps all ... but the NFL Combine matters. It's the only time when prospects can be easily compared -- both to other prospects in their class and those who came before them -- on a level playing field.

If an NFL evaluator has two nearly identical grades on a receiver but wideout A runs a 4.46 and wideout B runs a 4.52 ... well, you probably can guess which player tends to move up the board.

And as always, there are a plethora of prospects who will make or break their draft stock at this year's combine.

These 10 prospects have the most riding on the athletic exhibition in Indianapolis.

Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa
    Jackson's 2017 film is ridiculous. I mean, the guy had 18 pass breakups and eight interceptions, so he must have been doing more than a few things right. He played zone coverage amazingly well, flashed man-to-man ability, and has good size. Jackson looks like a No. 1 perimeter corner. But he'll likely have to run fast to be one of the first defensive backs selected.

Last year, Marshon Lattimore was the first cornerback taken. He ran 4.36. The year before that ... Jalen Ramsey, 4.41. In 2015, Trae Waynes was the first corner picked. His 40 time was a blistering 4.31. Even the second cornerback picked in the last two drafts -- Marlon Humphrey, 4.41 and Eli Apple, 4.40 -- were all sub-4.45 guys.

If Jackson can run under 4.45, he'll scoot up boards and -- depending on how his combine compares to Minkah Fitzpatrick -- be in contention to be the first cornerback picked in the 2018 draft.

James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
    Washington was an electric downfield weapon his entire collegiate career. He's the only FCS wideout to accumulate 200 receptions and average at least 19.0 yards per catch in his collegiate career among all receivers dating back to 2000.

But he's not quite 5'11", so he'll want to validate his film speed with timed speed at the combine. If he does that -- anything under 4.50 would be fine -- he'll essentially lock in being a first-round pick.

If Washington runs slower than 4.50, he could fall into the top 10 picks of the second round.

Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
    Ridley was listed at 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds this past season at Alabama, and he looks slender on film. Despite being held back by the Crimson Tide quarterback situation during his career in Tuscaloosa, Ridley has been billed as a downfield threat. And he certainly created some explosive plays in college.

So the weigh-in will be important for Ridley, as will the 40-yard dash (including the 10-yard split) and the jumps. He needs...
    -02-28-2018, 05:05 AM
  • Nick
    Nick's "Less Than a Week to Go" Mock Draft 3.0
    by Nick
    It’s been a week since my last Rams mock draft, so I thought I’d use FanSpeak to simulate another one. In the interest of getting some varied projections, I am using my third different set of rankings in as many tries for this projection, opting to go with NFL Draft Scout. Let’s see how the Rams do!

R3P23: KEMOKO TURAY, LB, RUTGERS
    -This isn’t a great class for edge rushers, and the Rams elected to bypass some of the better ones in favor of trading their first round pick for Brandin Cooks. That means they’ll either have to live with what they’ve got or find some diamonds in the draft. Turay could be such a diamond. Though he has some medical concerns that would have to be cleared by team doctors, there’s no question that the Rutgers product offers some very explosive pass rush ability off the edge.

R4P11: GERON CHRISTIAN, OT, LOUISVILLE
    -The Rams are in a tough spot, because this isn’t a strong class for a number of the positions they need, and again, that’s complicated by the fact that they’re picking in the mid rounds at the earliest (barring a trade). While Andrew Whitworth has been a fantastic addition on the left side of the line, he’s not going to play forever. Christian is an offensive tackle prospect with potential, and could learn behind Whitworth before possibly taking over for him.

R4P35: MASON COLE, C, MICHIGAN
    -I hadn’t planned to go back to back on offensive linemen in the fourth round, but seeing Cole still available at this pick during the simulation was too good to pass up. Cole is an athletic interior lineman who could add some power to his game as part of a pro strength program, and thought some question his ceiling at the next level, I think he could grow into a dependable man in the middle of an NFL offensive line.

R4P36: GENARD AVERY, LB, MEMPHIS
    -This might be a bit higher than some would prefer for Avery, but I am really intrigued by this guy as a force on the inside of this defense. He’s 6’1” and 248 pounds, and ran a sub-4.6 forty yard dash at the Combine. The guy is built like a tank but also offers some positional versatility with some pass rush skills. He strikes me as the kind of impactful hard-nosed force that would pair well with Mark Barron at inside linebacker.

R6P2: JUSTIN JONES, DL, NORTH CAROLINA STATE
    -Now begins the section of my mock where I end up going back to some prospects I selected in previous versions. Jones was a fourth round pick in my previous mock, but a different set of rankings and different simulation had him available here. Jones strikes me as a developmental nose tackle prospect who is going to love learning from Ndamukong Suh, Aaron Donald, and Michael Brockers.

R6P9: AKRUM WADLEY, RB, IOWA
    -The second of my repeat picks from March, Wadley is likely not going to challenge anyone for a feature back role, but has the potential to become a quality third down back in this league....
    -04-21-2018, 06:41 AM
  • Nick
    2019 NFL Mock Draft: Dolphins, Broncos, Chargers, Jaguars land new quarterbacks
    by Nick
    2019 NFL Mock Draft: Dolphins, Broncos, Chargers, Jaguars land new quarterbacks
    Defense is the name of the game in the top five, but four QBs still go in the top 32 picks
    By R.J. White
    @rjwhite1
    CBSSports.com Apr 29, 2018 • 12 min read

The 2018 NFL Draft is now behind us, which means it's time to get cracking on 2019 NFL Draft preparation.

Here's an extremely early look at how the 2019 draft could play out. Attention was paid to contract situations heading into next offseason, though some assumptions were made that certain star players would stay with their respective teams.

One thing to note is that there is some monster defensive line talent that could be available next year, including four players from Clemson alone. If the teams that drafted new franchise QBs this year struggle to win games in 2018, they should be well-positioned to land a blue-chip defender next year.

Looking for a hot new podcast that's your home for all things NFL? Look no further. The Pick 6 Podcast with Will Brinson has you covered every weekday morning with new episodes around 30 minutes each. Subscribe: via iTunes | via Stitcher | via TuneIn | via Google Play.

The draft order in this mock was determined by using SportsLine's projections before the 2018 NFL Draft. So if your favorite team is picking too high, please note that we're not taking into account that they aced this past draft and are definitely winning the Super Bowl next year.

Round 1
    1. Cleveland Browns
    Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State. It's possible this Bosa has more upside than his brother Joey, who has only dominated as a pass-rusher in his first two years in the league. If Cleveland ends up with the No. 1 pick for a third year straight, they should consider adding an elite defensive lineman like Bosa after passing on Bradley Chubb in 2018.

2. New York Giants
    A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss. The Giants will probably want to take a quarterback here, unless Davis Webb or fourth-round pick emerge as a potential long-term starter this year, but which QB will it be? Take your pick of four or five guys at this point. I expect at least one to emerge as a top-of-the-draft type talent, but at this point, let's slot in Brown. He should still shine amidst the Ole Miss program's drama, and the Giants must find talent at receiver next year, especially if Odell Beckham isn't returning.

3. New York Jets
    Dexter Lawrence, DL, Clemson. The massive Lawrence is in for a massive season with Clemson. Even if his stats don't come out looking impressive, coaches are going to fall in love with his ability to wreck offensive lines. The Jets have said goodbye to multiple talented linemen in recent years, and here's the guy who could be the next in line for this defense. Leonard Williams will be in his expensive option year in 2019, so this is also insurance that the line will still have...
    -04-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Working...
X