Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Smith NFL Coach of the Year

congrats to lovie smith, nice job considering he has no offense in chicago.

Leave a comment:

• RealRam
    replied
    Re: Smith NFL Coach of the Year

"Martz did an unbelievable job of helping me become a head coach. I'm doing the same thing. I want to do it for Ron [Rivera] and Ron Turner. I want to see our position coaches move up to coordinator positions. That is the normal progression you make, and I will do all I possibly can to make that happen.''

-- Lovie Smith, Dec. 30, 2005
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-bear301.html

Leave a comment:

• RamWraith
    started a topic Smith NFL Coach of the Year

Smith NFL Coach of the Year

Lovie Smith was just named AP NFL Coach of the year beating out Tony Dungy of the Colts.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bruce=GOAT
    Lovie Smith's son a Missouri Tiger
    by Bruce=GOAT
    From InsideMizoo's scout.com board:

"If thereís one thing everyone knows about recent Missouri football commit Miles Smith, itís that heís the son of Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith. But thatís all we knew, so we made a few calls and got the scoop on Smith, who recently decided to accept an offer to become a preferred walk-on at Mizzou."

To read the rest of the story, you must be a subscriber
    -02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
  • bigduke18
    Lovie Smith
    by bigduke18
    Am I the only one to be pissed about the success that the Bears are enjoying, thanks to the Rams losing Lovie Smith from the coaching staff?
    -12-16-2005, 06:49 AM
  • RamWraith
    Smith gets a chance to start with Rams
    by RamWraith
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Sunday, Aug. 06 2006

Paul Smith came into the NFL as an unheralded fifth-round pick out of Texas-El
    Paso.

In six NFL seasons with San Francisco and Detroit, he has only one touchdown on
    his resume.

A fullback-halfback 'tweener, his very modest career totals are 210 yards
    rushing and 182 yards receiving. To put that in perspective, Marshall Faulk has
    topped those rushing and receiving totals in a single game.

Fittingly, Smith joined the Rams with no fanfare May 6, signing a one-year deal
    paying him $585,000 in base salary.

And at Saturday's scrimmage, when the Rams' offensive unit broke the huddle for
    its first play - there was Smith, again minus the fanfare, with the starters.

"I guess they like what I've done at practice," Smith, 28, said. "I'm happy for
    the opportunity to do that. Hopefully, I'll run with it and do well."

Smith learned Friday that he would work with the starting unit - ahead of last
    year's Rams starter, Madison Hedgecock.

Kind of made your day, right?

"Oh yeah," Smith said. "It made my whole year."

Whether Smith holds on to the job remains to be seen. But he has clearly made
    an impression with coach Scott Linehan and his staff.

"A fullback's role is a thankless job," Linehan said. "Paul comes out every
    day, and he tries to put it right on the numbers and put a guy on his back. And
    that's what you're looking for. Plus, he has the ability to catch the ball."

Previously, Smith had carved out a niche for himself in the NFL as a hard-nosed
    special teams player.

"I've always been the wedge-buster, things like that," Smith said. "Setting the
    tempo for games. Sticking my nose in there on lead blocks and things like that."

Over the years, Smith has gotten a few chances at halfback and fullback, for
    three seasons with Steve Mariucci in San Francisco, and then following Mariucci
    to Detroit in 2003.

Smith has been slowed by injuries at times. He missed five weeks in 2002 in San
    Francisco with a hamstring injury. He missed the entire 2004 season in Detroit
    with a shoulder injury.

On the field, whether it was at halfback or fullback, Smith rarely touched the
    football. In 55 NFL games, he has only 46 carries and 18 receptions. His career
    high in receptions - five - came in '03, when Smith's Lions upset the Rams
    30-20 in a regular-season finale that cost St. Louis home-field advantage in
    the playoffs.

But playing fullback, Smith says, "is not about stats. What your running back
    does,...
    -08-07-2006, 05:00 AM
  • RamWraith
    Jimmy Smith retired
    by RamWraith
    Jaguars' WR Jimmy Smith to retire

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 3 minutes ago

Jimmy Smith, one of the most prolific receivers over the course of the past 10 seasons has abruptly decided to retire from professional football.

FOXSports.com has learned that Smith, has informed Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach Jack Del Rio of his intention to call it quits after 12 seasons.
    The team is expected to hold a press a press conference Thursday to announce the decision ó unless Smith has an 11th-hour change of heart.
    -05-11-2006, 05:04 AM
  • Nick
    Lovie Smith expected to sit out 2013 season
    by Nick
    Lovie Smith expected to sit out 2013 season
    By Sean Jensen on January 16, 2013 1:01 PM

Former Bears coach Lovie Smith interviewed for three NFL head-coaching vacancies but the respective clubs picked other candidates.

And while two openings remain, Smith isn't believed to be a candidate for either.

So Smith is expected to sit out the 2013 NFL season and reconsider his options next offseason, according to a league source.

But Smith will still collect a handsome paycheck.

The Bears owe him what is believed to be at least $5 million for the 2013 season, and they'll have to pay him the entire salary.

While some have speculated that Smith would be a strong defensive coordinator candidate, Smith will not go that route, opting instead to take the first break of his coaching career, since he started at his alma mater, Big Sandy High School, in 1980.

After the Bears fired him following a 10-6 season, Smith immediately became a candidate for several NFL openings. He interviewed with the Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers and Philadelphia Eagles. But the Bills hired Doug Marrone, the Chargers hired Mike McCoy and the Eagles hired Chip Kelly.
    -01-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Working...
X