X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Blake signs with Philly

Eagles sign QB Blake to one-year deal
    NFL.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA (May 28, 2004) -- Quarterback Jeff Blake signed a one-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Blake, who was released by Arizona in February, gives the Eagles insurance should starter Donovan McNabb or backup Koy Detmer get injured. He replaces A.J. Feeley, who was traded to Miami for a second-round pick in next year's draft.

"We're looking forward to bringing in Jeff for his experience and his quarterbacking ability he has displayed over the last 12 years," coach Andy Reid said.

In his only season with the Cardinals, Blake completed 208 of 367 passes for 2,247 yards, 13 TDs and 15 interceptions -- the first time in his career he had more interceptions than touchdowns.

Blake spent 1992-93 with the New York Jets and also played for Cincinnati (1994-99), New Orleans (2000-01) and Baltimore (2002).

A sixth-round pick from East Carolina by the Jets in 1992, Blake, 33, has started 100 NFL games, throwing for 21,530 yards and 132 TDs. His most productive season came with Cincinnati in 1995, when he threw for 3,822 yards and 28 TDs and earned a berth in the Pro Bowl.

The Eagles drafted Delaware's Andy Hall in the sixth round of last month's draft, hoping he could develop into the No. 3 quarterback. The decision to sign Blake comes at the end of a three-day rookie camp for Philadelphia.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service
    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Related Topics

Collapse

• DJRamFan
    Eagles give coach Reid four-year extension; OT Sciullo signs
    by DJRamFan
    Sept. 8, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA -- Andy Reid received a four-year contract extension from the Philadelphia Eagles on Wednesday that will take him through the 2010 season. Also Wednesday, offensive lineman Steve Sciullo signed with the Eagles after being waived by Indianapolis.

Advertisement

Reid, entering his sixth season in Philadelphia, has led the Eagles to three consecutive losses in the NFC championship game. He is in the third year of a $15 million, six-year contract signed in June 2001. His extension reportedly is worth more than $4.2 million per season.

"Andy Reid is an excellent leader of our football team," Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said. "I think he is outstanding in every capacity: as a coach, as a person, as a leader, as somebody who makes cool decisions and who is willing to make the unpopular decision, which to me is absolutely crucial if you want to win big."

Reid's .638 winning percentage in the regular season (51-29) and his five playoff victories are the best in team history. He's just the third coach in franchise history to last more than five seasons, joining Greasy Neale (1941-50) and Dick Vermeil (1976-82).

"I'm humbled," Reid said.

Reid, 46, joined the Eagles in 1999 as a little-known assistant who worked under Mike Holmgren for seven seasons in Green Bay. He took over a team coming off a 3-13 season that was considered a laughingstock in the NFL.

One of Reid's first and most important decisions was unpopular at the time, but turned out to be a brilliant move. He selected quarterback Donovan McNabb with the second overall pick of the '99 draft -- Eagles fans wanted recently retired running back Ricky Williams.

McNabb quickly developed into one of the best quarterbacks in the league, and has been to the Pro Bowl four consecutive years.

"It's exciting to know he will be here," McNabb said. "Now we can put this behind us and move forward."

The Eagles finished 5-11 in Reid's first season. They went 11-5 and won a playoff game in 2000, before winning three consecutive NFC East titles.

"Nobody could be more deserving," Lurie said. "It was tough even getting him to attend this news conference. He doesn't like talking about himself. This man has led this franchise in a spectacular way over the last several years."

Reid earned the NFL Coach of the Year award in 2002 after leading the Eagles to a 12-4 record, despite losing McNabb for the regular season after the 10th game and backup quarterback Koy Detmer the following week.

But the Eagles lost the NFC title game 27-10 to Tampa Bay in the final football game at Veterans Stadium.

Advertisement

Reid...
    -09-08-2004, 01:12 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Eagles sign RB Levens as insurance
    by DJRamFan
    Posted: Monday August 23, 2004 12:18PM; Updated: Monday August 23, 2004 12:20PM

PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) - The Philadelphia Eagles will look to an old friend to provide insurance for their running game.

The Eagles announced the signing of former Pro Bowl running back Dorsey Levens on Monday, three days after losing running back Correll Buckhalter for the season.

Financial terms of the one-year deal were not disclosed, but Levens made $957,000, including $302,000 in bonus money, while with the New York Giants last year.

Levens, 34, rushed 68 times for 197 yards and three touchdowns as a backup to Tiki Barber on the Giants in 2003.

In 2002, Levens signed a one-year deal to back up Duce Staley and rushed for 411 yards and one touchdown. He also caught 19 balls for 124 yards and a score that year.

Levens' most recent deal marks the second time he has joined Philadelphia following a season-ending injury to Buckhalter.

In 2002, Buckhalter was lost for the season after suffering a torn ACL in his left knee during mini-camp.

On Friday, Buckhalter tore the patella tendon in his right knee in a preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens. He was placed on injured reserve, joining defensive end N.D. Kalu, who suffered a knee injury during practice Tuesday, and offensive lineman Jamaal Jackson.

With Staley signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers this offseason, the Eagles will feature Brian Westbrook in their backfield, spelled by Levens and second-year back Reno Mahe.

Prior to joining the Eagles, Levens was the fourth all-time leading rusher in Green Bay Packers history with 3,937 yards. He was selected to the Pro Bowl following a 1997 season in which he rushed for a career-high 1,435 yards and seven touchdowns.

The reliable Levens has fumbled just 13 times in 10 NFL seasons.

2004 SportsTicker Enterprises, LP
    -08-23-2004, 11:53 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Dumped by Jags, DE Douglas happily rejoins Eagles
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 30, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA -- Defensive end Hugh Douglas is returning to Philadelphia after a one-year hiatus.

Advertisement

Douglas agreed to a one-year contract for just under $1 million on Monday, the same day he was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Incentives could make the deal worth as much as $3.4 million, said his agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

"Hugh desperately wanted to come back to Philadelphia," Rosenhaus said.

"He didn't want to waste any time. He's looking forward to getting back to the fans he loves so much."

The Eagles, who confirmed the signing late Monday, lost starting defensive end N.D. Kalu to a season-ending knee injury two weeks ago and Rosenhaus said Douglas hopes to fill that void.

"With the injury to N.D. Kalu, he's got a great opportunity to fill a hole," Rosenhaus said.

Hugh Douglas and the Eagles are happy to renew their vows.(Getty Images)
    In his last season with the Eagles, Douglas collected 12 1/2 sacks, then parlayed that into a five-year, $27 million free-agent contract with the Jaguars that included a $6 million signing bonus. But things didn't work out in Jacksonville, and Douglas was cut after getting just 31 tackles and 3 1/2 sacks last year.

During his time in Philadelphia, Douglas anchored one of the league's top defenses, and the Eagles hope he can provide stability and depth this time around.

He is the second former Pro Bowler to return to the team this season. Jeremiah Trotter, who left the team to sign a free agent contract with the Washington Redskins after the 2001 season, re-signed with the team following his release this offseason.

Rosenhaus said Douglas is excited about the opportunity to return to Philadelphia and play with old friends and new additions, particularly defensive end Jevon Kearse, who signed as a free agent in the offseason.

"He knows he's going to have some great guys to play with," Rosenhaus said. "He's going to make some new friends and see some old friends."

Team spokesman Derrick Boyko said Douglas will be welcomed back to the locker room with open arms.

"The locker room was buzzing today with the anticipation of getting him back," Boyko said.

Rosenhaus said Douglas will fly to Philadelphia on Tuesday to sign the contract.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-31-2004, 01:22 PM
  • Nick
    Eagles cut Pinkston and Detmer, resign Feeley
    by Nick
    A Flurry Of Moves For Eagles
    August 30, 2006
    By DAVE SPADARO

The Eagles made a flurry of moves on Wednesday, waiving wide receiver Todd Pinkston and quarterback Koy Detmer, and agreeing to terms on a two-year contract with quarterback A.J. Feeley.

The roster now sits at 73 players, pending Feeley signing his deal.

Feeley was waived by the San Diego Chargers two days ago, and the young quarterback has had a turbulent time since the Eagles dealt him to Miami for a second-round draft pick -- which turned out to be wide receiver Reggie Brown -- prior to the 2004 season.

"I'm starting fresh again," Feeley said via a conference call. "I'm familiar with the offense and the guys around here, so it should make things easier. There are other teams, but the West Coast offense is what I know best, it's the system I know best, and this is where I want to be."

Feeley played 11 games in Miami, starting eight, and he completed 53.7 percent of his passes for 1,893 yards, 11 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Feeley was then traded the following October by Miami, along with a late-round draft pick, to San Diego for quarterback Cleo Lemon. Feeley did not take a snap with the Chargers last year.

"There are a ton of elements as to why things didn't work out, but the bottom line is they didn't," Feeley said. "I'm not trying to dwell on that stuff; I'm trying to learn from it. I just have to get back on the field and make my game stronger.

"Right now, I need to get back in the groove, back to what I need to do to be successful and the things that got me there."

A fifth-round draft pick by the Eagles in 2001, Feeley started five games in 2002 and led the Eagles to a 4-1 record down the stretch to help the Eagles clinch the No. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs.

With Donovan McNabb recovering from a broken leg, and with Detmer sidelined with an elbow injury, Feeley completed 86 of 154 passes for 1,011 yards, 6 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.

Feeley did not take a snap the following season, 2003, as McNabb returned to full health and played 16 games.

Feeley was then traded to Miami on April 3, 2004.

Detmer, a seventh-round draft pick by the Eagles in 1997, played nine seasons with the Eagles and completed 152 of 298 passes for 1,706 yards, 10 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

"I've lockered next to Koy for my entire career; I've spent a lot of time with him in meetings and on the field together," said McNabb. "He is a real student of the game and I've learned a lot from him. It's a tough loss for the team, for our locker room and as a friend."

Detmer was the primary holder for placekicker David Akers until this summer, when punter Dirk Johnson ramped up his work with the All-Pro kicker...
    -08-30-2006, 04:59 PM
  • Nick
    Owens, McNabb shine in Eagles win over Giants
    by Nick
    Owens, McNabb shine in Eagles win over Giants
    NFL.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA (Sept. 12, 2004) -- Terrell Owens flexed his muscles, flapped his arms and took his bows.

Owens had three touchdown catches, Donovan McNabb threw for 330 yards and tied a career high with four TD passes and Brian Westbrook ran for 119 yards, leading the Philadelphia Eagles over the New York Giants 31-17 on Sunday.

The Eagles, runners-up in the NFC championship the last three years, won their season opener for just the second time in coach Andy Reid's six seasons.

Two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner had a lackluster debut for the Giants, who lost their ninth straight game and first under new coach Tom Coughlin. Heralded rookie Eli Manning made his NFL debut in the final minutes, handing off to Tiki Barber for a 72-yard TD run on his first play.

Owens, playing his first game with the Eagles after eight sometimes-controversial seasons in San Francisco, made an immediate impact, scoring on his first two receptions in the first quarter.

The four-time Pro Bowl receiver, known for his flamboyant TD celebrations, kept it low key. He stood in the end zone and flexed his right arm while cradling the ball in his left arm after his first score. He flapped his arms after the last one, then took a few bows on the sideline while fans chanted, "T.O."

Owens, acquired in a three-team trade with the ***** and Baltimore in March, finished with eight catches for 68 yards, including TDs of 20, 3 and 12 yards. McNabb completed 26 of 36 passes and had no interceptions.

After the Giants took a 7-0 lead on Ron Dayne's 3-yard run early in the first quarter, the Eagles came right back.

Westbrook ran 50 yards to New York's 21. Two plays later, McNabb dropped back, pump-faked and lofted a pass into the right corner over cornerback Will Allen and safety Shaun Williams into Owens' hands.

McNabb's 3-yard TD pass to Owens made it 14-7. The play was vintage McNabb.

He was chased out of the pocket by Michael Strahan, scrambled toward the right sideline, stutter-stepped near the 10, kept rolling and threw across his body just before stepping out of bounds.

A 53-yard pass from McNabb to Todd Pinkston on a third-and-10 put the Eagles at New York's 3, setting up the score.

L.J. Smith made a tumbling catch in the right corner of the end zone on a 14-yard pass from McNabb to give the Eagles a 21-7 lead in the second quarter.

McNabb and Owens connected on a 12-yarder, giving Philadelphia a 31-10 lead in the third quarter.

Warner, who led St. Louis to a Super Bowl victory in 1999, has lost his last nine starts, including to the New England Patriots in the 2001 Super Bowl.

Released by the Rams in June after losing his job to Marc Bulger, Warner is keeping...
    -09-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Working...
X