December 23, 1975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 23, 1975

A date that will live in infamy. That is the date that Andy Messersmith and Dave McNally ruined professional sports forever when they successfully challenged the reserve clause and brought about the mess we have witnessed for the last 30 years. Free agency with all the agents and money-grubbing and the inability to build and keep a team. Man, how I yearn for the good old days when you drafted a player and built a team around him...those were the days.:sad:

Re: December 23, 1975

I have to agree. I don't like free agency. Words like team and loyalty don't mix with free agency.

Comment

I'm torn.

The football purist in me longs for the days of 1 team for 1 career.

However, it almost seems un-American to prevent a free market environment in the workplace.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

While I'm all about team loyalty, 'loyalty' isn't really the word when the player has no choice in the matter. Considering I wasn't even alive in '75, I haven't really seen a lot of pro sports without free agency. World soccer has a different system where teams basically buy and sell players off each other, but then you get that problem of competitive imbalance. Of course, if long-term contracts were more binding that might keep teams together longer, too.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• zingers16
          Free Agents
          by zingers16
          For everyone that has the Rams going out in free agency and picking up 5-6 players, when was the last time that the Rams ever were that active in free agency? I know they usually sign a couple people each year, but a lot of people seem to have us taking a couple decent names in free agency. I can't remember the last time that the Rams actually went out in free agency and spent a lot of money on a few key players.

Now, don't get me wrong, I could see the Rams picking up maybe one of Crowder/Birk/Willis/Butler because the new coaching staff wants changes, but do you really think they will spend money on a couple of them with there prices being driven up by other teams and the possible sale of the franchise?
          -02-06-2009, 06:22 AM
        • eldfan
          Frustrated by free agency so far? Patience
          by eldfan
          by VanRam on Mar 5, 2010

Anyone thinking the St. Louis Rams would move as fast this year in free agency as they did last year is bound to be a little disappointed. I can only counsel patience.

Last year, the stars aligned a little better for the Rams in free agency. They had some prime targets that directly addressed important needs for the team. C Jason Brown was on the radar immediately, with the team setting up a meeting within 48 hours of the start of free agency. They worked out a deal with CB Ron Bartell, who was an unrestricted free agent, within a week. There was talk about signing SS James Butler in the early days of free agency too, but the team didn't reach a deal with him until two weeks into free agency.

This time around it's not so easy. None of the big names in FA to sign thus far, less than 24 hours in, would have been good fits for the Rams. Nate Burleson, not exactly the WR we're in need of. Did you see how much the Bears gave Julius Peppers? That wasn't realistic for the Rams.

Here's a pretty telling point from Mike Sando today: of the 43 unrestricted free agents with a Pro Bowl appearance, only one is younger than 29-years-old.

The hardest pill to swallow is the report that the Seahawks are bringing in Broncos WR Brandon Marshall for a visit. Marshall, a RFA, would cost a first round pick, if signed away from the Broncos. Seattle has two of those.

All is not lost. If you're starting to despair that A.J. Feeley might be the only roster move the Rams make, be patient. It's telling that the Rams had scheduled a visit with RB Darren Sproles during the brief window when it looked like he would be a free agent.

As for trades, I expect the Rams to at least explore some options via that route, but those take time to hammer out deals.
          -03-06-2010, 09:30 AM
        • AvengerRam_old
          Frustrated by Free Agency? Do the math.
          by AvengerRam_old
          I understand that people get annoyed when another team makes a deal that they think the Rams should have made, but consider this...

How many "big name" free agents are there this year? Ten... maybe?

How many teams are there in the league?

There is no guarantee that the Rams will sign any of the big name players.

It is entirely unlikely that the Rams will sign multiple big name players.

So... while we can all hope, you may want to manage your expectations to avoid disappointment.
          -03-05-2010, 07:29 AM
        • richtree
          Free Agents ?
          by richtree
          with so many free agents still out there are the rams looking at any ? ? ?

takeo spikes ?

Jerimaha Trotter ?

any news ?

I know we still have some cash open

what's the 411 ? ?
          -05-07-2008, 02:20 PM
        • rammiser
          My keeper list
          by rammiser
          1st string
          QB-Bulger, but we need to draft a young gun.
          RB-Jackson
          WR-Avery
          WR-Draft or free agency
          LOT-Draft or free agency
          ROT-Draft or free agency
          RG-Draft or free agency
          C-Draft or free agency
          LG-Draft or free agency
          TE-Mcmichael

Back ups
          QB-Hopefully a good rookie
          RB-Pittman, and Darby can fill this role but we may need to draft another.
          WR-Burton
          WR-Stanley
          WR-Draft, or free agency
          OT-Barron,Greco
          OG-Incognito,Bell,Schuening
          C-Lecckey,Romberg
          TE-Fells I'd like to see him develop,Darft another or free agency

Defense
          Starters

LDE-Draft or free agency
          RDE-Long
          LDT-Carriker
          RDT-Draft or free agency
          OLB-Witherspoon
          MLB-Draft or free agency
          OLB-Draft or free agency
          CB-Bartell
          CB-Draft or free agency
          SS-Draft or free agency
          FS--Otogwe

Backups
          LDE-Little as a rotation guy and Draft or free agency
          RDE-Adeyanju
          LDT-Ryan
          RDT-Draft or free agency
          OLB-Tinoisamoa and Draft or free agency
          MLB-Draft or free agency
          OLB-Culberson and Draft or free agency
          CB-Manning,Brown,King and Draft or free agency
          SS-Johnson or Draft or free agency
          FS-Draft or free agency

K-Brown
          P-Jones

So as you can see this team has tons of needs, like we didnt know that already. So now its time to play fill in the blanks. Let's be realistic we wont be able to fill all these needs in next years draft so we may have to play mix and match with some of the heartless guys we have now. This is more than a one year rebuild this may take 2 or 3 years to be respectable again.
          -11-23-2008, 11:18 PM
        Working...
        X