• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants sign Warner

Giants sign Kurt Warner

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
    June 3, 2004
    EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner signed with the New York Giants in a move that gives the team a veteran quarterback in case top draft pick Eli Manning is not ready to start this season.

Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon on Thursday confirmed the signing and said Warner would be on the field with the team on Thursday morning at a closed practice.

The quarterback is scheduled to hold an afternoon news conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

While terms of the contract were not disclosed, Warner is believed to have gotten a two-year deal that will pay him $3 million this season, including a $1.5 million signing bonus.

The signing comes a little more than 24 hours after Warner was released in a salary-cap move by St. Louis, ending an improbable run that saw the former Arena League quarterback twice take the Rams to the Super Bowl -- including a victory over Tennessee in 1999.

Warner has battled injuries the last two years. He missed half of the 2002 season with hand injuries. He lost his starting job last season after sustaining a concussion in a season-opening loss to the Giants.

Warner hasn't won a game as a starter since the 2001 season, when he led the Rams to a 14-2 record. New England upset St. Louis in the Super Bowl, denying Warner a second title.

Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein, was not immediately available for comment.

Warner comes to the Giants knowing Manning is their quarterback of the future.

New York traded first-round draft picks this year and next and other choices to San Diego on draft day to acquire the rights to the Mississippi quarterback who was the No. 1 pick overall in the draft.

The Giants had hoped that Kerry Collins would mentor Manning this season. But the veteran who led the Giants to a Super Bowl appearance in January 2001 refused to renegotiate a contract that would have paid him $7 million in the upcoming season.

Collins was cut days after the draft, and subsequently signed with the Oakland Raiders, forcing new coach Tom Coughlin to search for a proven veteran.

Warner, who will turn 33 on June 22, is that.

After his injury troubles, Warner's days in St. Louis were numbered once Marc Bulger was given a four-year, $19.1 million contract last month.

The Rams gave Warner permission to shop himself, knowing he would be released June 1. Warner met with the Giants last month.

Re: Giants sign Warner

In addition, rumors have it that Warner has incentives that could earn him as much as 7.5 million this year.

Comment

Re: Giants sign Warner

Well...

That's one small step for Ram... one Giant leap for New York football.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
        Former Ram Related (FRR)-Warner signs
        by RamWraith
        Fox sports and local NY station are saying its a done deal.
        Warner signs
        -06-03-2004, 08:19 AM
      • WisRamsFan
        Warner in the correct forum
        by WisRamsFan
        Warner becomes caretaker QB until Manning ready

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
        June 3, 2004
        EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New York Giants are taking some of the pressure off Eli Manning , signing Kurt Warner to be their caretaker quarterback until the top pick in the draft is ready to take over.

While the two-time MVP got a two-year contract late Wednesday that will pay him a minimum of $3.5 million this year, there is no guarantee the two-time NFL MVP will play for the Giants for more than a year.

When Manning is ready to go, he will be the Giants' quarterback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Until then, the job seemingly belongs to Warner, the soon-to-be 33-year-old who led the St. Louis Rams to Super Bowl appearances after the 1999 and 2001 seasons. Injuries and the emergence of Marc Bulger earned him a pink slip on Tuesday.

``I am looking to come in and to play and to re-establish myself,'' Warner said at Thursday, hours after his first practice. ``I would love this to be where I finish my career.''

Warner has incentives that can push his salary to $8 million this season. However, the second year of his contract is voidable and his tenure may well be determined by Manning's progress in his rookie season.

``I don't want to keep moving and picking up my family,'' Warner added. ``I want to continue to have success. I would love it to be here in New York and I will do whatever in my time here to be successful. We'll just see what happens.''

``Obviously Manning is there, but this is New York and if Kurt wins, they are not going to want him to leave,'' said Mark Bartelstein, Warner's agent.

The signing takes a ton of pressure off Manning.

The son of Archie Manning and the brother of Colts quarterback Peyton Manning became the Giants' starting quarterback when Kerry Collins refused to take a pay cut and was released less than a week after New York got the No. 1 pick in a draft-day trade with San Diego.

Manning, who has known for weeks the Giants planned to sign a veteran, still plans on competing for the starting job.

``I don't know if this takes the pressure off,'' Manning said. ``I don't know if anything has changed in my view. I am still going to practice just as hard as ever. I want to be ready.''

Manning and Warner spoke for a few minutes on Thursday. Warner plans to tutor Manning, just as he did with Bulger in St. Louis.

``To teach a guy the little things and have him become a better quarterback was fun for me, as frustrating as it was not playing,'' Warner said. ``But I look forward to helping any way I can.''

Warner also is looking forward to playing again. He suffered a concussion in a season-opening loss to the Giants last season and did not start for the rest of the year. He...
        -06-03-2004, 03:58 PM
      • Nick
        Warner must prove he can still produce - Pasquarelli
        by Nick
        Warner must prove he can still produce
        By Len Pasquarelli
        ESPN.com

The Giants are hoping that Kurt Warner will take better care of the ball.

On the New York Giants' Web site Thursday morning, a hastily photographed digital image of the franchise's newest starting quarterback appeared -- Kurt Warner in a red practice jersey bearing his familiar No. 13.

Given the recent performance of the all-time league leader in passing efficiency -- remember, this is a player who hasn't won a game as a starter since 2001 -- both the color of the practice shirt and the numerals emblazoned on the front and back of it might, alas, prove pretty appropriate.

The Giants are hoping that Kurt Warner will take better care of the ball.
        The Giants wear blue uniforms, of course, and the red practice jersey is a universal "don't touch" cautionary measure designed to keep pass rushers from jostling the quarterback. As for the No. 13, well, surely the most non-superstitious among us understands its ominous implications. Even the great Dan Marino, who also thumbed his nose at fate by donning No. 13 for all 17 of his mostly brilliant seasons, eventually could not elude the misfortune attached to those dire digits.

And so, while we hope we're wrong about this, given that Warner is a good guy and one who couldn't depart St. Louis before first passing through the Rams' complex to visit with the people who served as his support group for six seasons, that red practice shirt and the No. 13 represent an ominous beginning to the next chapter of his career.

During an afternoon news conference, a smiling Warner noted Giants officials were kind enough to allow him to retain his favorite uniform number. Maybe a change of scenery, though, begged for a change from the recently cursed 13. Warner also noted that, after starting just one game in 2003, it is time to get his feet wet again. But should he spend much of '04 submerged beneath the opposition pass rush, desperately trying to tread water behind New York's remodeled offensive line, Warner might someday look back on the irony of his words.

Make no mistake, signing Warner to a two-year contract worth $9.5 million -- which, in reality, is a one-year deal at $3 million, since the second year is voidable -- was a solid enough gamble by New York. But there is no mistaking as well that Warner, who will turn 33 in a couple weeks and who was sacked six times while throwing but one touchdown pass in 2003, isn't the same guy who claimed two league MVP awards and led the Rams to a Super Bowl XXXIV championship.

Once the ego of Kerry Collins kept him from collecting a $7 million paycheck this year for introducing the Tutor Dynasty at Giants Stadium, serving as a grizzled starter/mentor to Eli Manning, the team sought Neil O'Donnell for that position. When he declined, and it became clear Warner...
        -06-08-2004, 10:52 AM
      • RamDez
        Sacking The Quarterback: Warner is gone from the Rams as of today
        by RamDez
        By Bill Coats
        Of the Post-Dispatch
        06/01/2004

Officially, quarterback Kurt Warner's record-setting days with the Rams will end today. Unofficially, the tie was cut Tuesday.

According to agent Mark Bartelstein, the Rams informed the league Tuesday afternoon of Warner's release. Bartelstein said Rams executive Jay Zygmunt told him that the team had completed "the process of releasing Kurt."

Zygmunt, president of football operations, declined to confirm whether the paperwork had been filed with the NFL. But Zygmunt acknowledged that as of today, Warner no longer will be a member of the Rams.

Today marks the first day that teams can release players with multiyear contracts and have the salary-cap hit spread over two years instead of one. Warner's release will cost the Rams $4.6 million this year and $6.7 million in 2005.

Under league guidelines, the close of business Tuesday in New York, home of the NFL offices, was at 3 p.m. (St. Louis time). So the Rams could have notified the league of Warner's release after that time, as Bartelstein indicated, and the transaction technically would be dated today.

Whatever the timing of the move, Warner is heading elsewhere after six seasons in St. Louis. Bartelstein said Warner, who was unavailable for comment, greeted the move with "a lot of mixed emotions. He's had so much success and such a great relationship with everyone in St. Louis, that's just an unbelievable chapter in his life and an unbelievable chapter in the history of the NFL. So, to leave that I think is hard.

"But he's in the prime of his career . . . so he's eager to go play football."

Warner can sign with another team as early as this afternoon.

"Kurt wants to get something done quickly," Bartelstein said.

Although Bartelstein said several teams are interested in Warner, the New York Giants are expected to get his name on a contract - probably for one year, at about $3 million - before the end of the week.

"Kurt and I kind of have a preference of what we think is the best fit, and we're going to see if we can get that worked out," Bartelstein said. "If we can, great. If not, there are other choices."

Warner, who will turn 33 on June 22, could emerge as the starter for the Giants, who released incumbent Kerry Collins after trading for Eli Manning, the No. 1 overall selection in the April draft. Warner's broader role would be as a mentor for Manning.

"He's not going somewhere just to be a mentor; he's going to go somewhere to play and to try to win," Bartelstein said. "If Kurt Warner plays next year the way he's capable of playing and he helps the team win, and win big, it doesn't really matter who's waiting in the wings. Kurt's going to be the guy."...
        -06-02-2004, 12:38 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Interesting Takes From Warner & Coughlin
        by r8rh8rmike
        Wednesday, June 9, 2004

By Sal Paolantonio
        Special to ESPN.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- You can see it in his eyes. Kurt Warner's eyes are wide open, revealing the happiness of a man who has emerged from the long slumber of lost opportunity.

"I feel completely re-energized," said Warner, as he came off the field after his first mini-camp practice with his new team, the New York Giants.

Warner lacked some zip on his passes during practices.
        Rewind to Giants Stadium, Week 1 last year. Under constant pressure from Michael Strahan and company, Warner was sacked six times and fumbled six times, and started his last game for the St. Louis Rams. Sitting on the trainer's table in the visitors' locker room at Giants Stadium that Sunday afternoon, Warner had just been diagnosed with a mild concussion and his eyes had the vacant look of a man who had just bought a one-way ticket down the rabbit hole.

The contrast between Warner then and Warner now couldn't be more stark. And the situation couldn't be more ironic -- the team that ended his season has now handed Warner a chance at NFL redemption.

It's no wonder that Warner has displayed the same wide-eyed eagerness of the former stock boy from Iowa who emerged from NFL Europe and replaced the injured Trent Green to re-write the history of Rams football in St. Louis.

"Normally, the player will sit down and will have to talk to his agent on the phone," said Giants head coach Tom Coughlin. "He said, 'I don't want any of this. Let's get this done.' He signed right away. He was down the hall, looking for coaches, saying 'Let's go meet.' He wanted to get himself immersed in this offense right away."

There is good reason for Warner to be anxious. Coming to New York means that Warner, who will be 33 on June 22, will be under-going several mid-life, mid-course adjustments.

He must adjust to the demands of Coughlin's offense, which shall we say is a bit more conservative than the Greatest Show on Turf choreographed by Mike Martz. And Warner will be learning the new offense with a newly minted franchise quarterback, Eli Manning, looking over his shoulder.

The Giants invested two first-round draft picks and expended a lot of public relations good will to acquire Manning in a trade with San Diego in this year's NFL draft. Some see Warner as the perfect mentor for Manning, or at least a temporary diversion so that Manning can incubate his talents without being over-exposed by the white, hot lights of the New York media.

Warner will have none of that. You can tell by the tone and conviction in his voice that, for Warner, this is not about Peyton Manning's little brother.

"Obviously, I'm coming in to...
        -06-10-2004, 05:07 PM
      Working...
      X