Warner says it best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warner says it best

now can we also follow the great ones lead???

Warner also said he leaves with no ill will.

"I'm indebted to the Rams," he said. "They're the one and only team to give me an opportunity, and to be in the position I'm in now, I have no animosity at all.

"I'll be forever grateful. I leave there with a lot of strong feelings, and that won't diminish."

In fact, Warner is not leaving the city yet. His stay in New York could be only one year as mentor for Eli Manning, so he'll continue to live in St. Louis until he finds a longterm football home elsewhere.

Warner also said half of his charitable foundation, "First Things First," will remain in St. Louis.

Re: Warner says it best

Wouldn't it be something if Warner plays lights out this coming year and the Rams re-sign him in the offseason?

Comment

Re: Warner says it best

Wouldn't it be great for Kurt to play "lights out", the Rams fire the idiot Martz and resign Warner....I can only hope!! Get ready to go back to the 80"s and enjoy mediocrity with Martz and Bulger (for one year anyway - until Martz the idiot gets canned)

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
        Warner article--sure to drum up a debate. Interesting read
        by RamWraith
        Just like with Rams and Giants, Warner out to prove critics wrong
        By Darren Urban, Tribune

The resumé is too long for the story to begin where it once did. Kurt Warner knows that.
        His past is decorated with two MVP awards, three Pro Bowls, two Super Bowl appearances and a St. Louis fan base that still follows him two stops later.

Warner is no longer the nobody who took over at quarterback for the Rams in 1999, but in some ways, he is starting over.

He has more doubters than believers, which is where he stood that day St. Louis coach Dick Vermeil made him the starter after Trent Green's season-ending knee injury almost six years ago.

And like his Rams back then, his new team in Arizona carries few expectations.

"There are a lot of people out there that don't think I can still play, and there's a lot of people out there that don't think this team has a chance to do anything," Warner said. The statistics haven't been gaudy for three years, and for Warner, his history has become his burden. But it is also his proof.

"There has never been a story like Kurt Warner's," Cardinals coach Dennis Green said. "It's a result of him believing in himself." Warner still believes. He believes that winning football, if not video game-like stats, remains in him.

He believes politics dragged him out of the lineup with both the Rams and the New York Giants. He believes he will be reborn as an NFL starter with the Cardinals this season. And he believes he has lived this scenario before. "It's kind of my story, the underdog story, no chance to have success," Warner said. "It's kind of like what I stepped into in St. Louis.

"I get a chance to rewrite my story, and I get a chance to hopefully rewrite the story of the Arizona Cardinals."

FROM HERO TO HUMBLED

The first version of Warner's story came straight from Hollywood.

He was nowhere, bagging groceries at one point after college, eventually thinking a successful arena football career in his native Iowa was as far as the dream might go. Then, in one stunning two-year period, he rose from Iowa Barnstormer to St. Louis Ram as ringleader of the "Greatest Show on Turf."

"St. Louis football was dog meat for so long," longtime St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz said. "Then this mythical character out of a W.P. Kinsella novel walks out of the Iowa cornfields."

He won a Super Bowl that first season as a starter. He set team records. He was one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. And he was a good person, friendly almost to a fault, a sports hero fans could feel good about embracing.

Warner was going to be a Ram forever.

That he isn't now, "flabbergasts me a little bit," Warner
        -05-14-2005, 07:25 AM
      • Nick
        Warner's the man, at least to Warner
        by Nick
        Warner's the man, at least to Warner

First published: Thursday, August 19, 2004

ALBANY -- He's still the quarterback who takes teams to Olympus. Still the quarterback whose passing statistics are a fantasy of flight. Still the quarterback whose grocery-bags-to-NFL-MVP story felt as good as a kiss.
        Kurt Warner is convinced of this.

He's gone from superstar to waiver wire. Untouchable to unwanted. At the end in St. Louis, the Rams were as eager to show Warner the door as he was to pass through it. He was signed by the Giants to be a mentor and stopgap, until Eli Manning is ready. Everything in Warner's career has changed -- but him, he insists.

In nearly every player's career there comes a time when his skills, as Bill Belichick once said of Bernie Kosar's, diminish. Age and injuries make mortals of all. The player knows when he enters the winter of his career, but he won't publicly admit it.

Warner, now 33, says he's the same quarterback, and because he's friendly, and gracious with his time, you want to believe him.

But you don't.

Once, Warner led the Greatest Show on Turf. Now, he's trying to hold Manning at bay long enough to audition for a starting job with another team next season. That's not the same at all.

There has never been an NFL player like Kurt Warner. From stock boy to wonder boy to oh boy, what happened. It would be as if Greg Maddux had gone from video store clerk to Cy Young control artist to a pitcher who stopped throwing strikes, though Warner doesn't see it that way. The Rams' 0-8 record in his last eight games as a starter didn't change Warner's opinion of himself.

"You have to say, 'Did Kurt Warner lose those eight games because Kurt Warner didn't play well, or did the Rams lose those last eight games because the team didn't play well?' " Warner said. "I think that's where people sometimes get skewed in their opinion."

Warner doesn't mention that the Rams were 18-4 the past two seasons when Marc Bulger started at quarterback. Granted, win-loss percentage isn't everything. But it's something. And playing on the same team, with the same players, Bulger enjoyed success while Warner flopped. But if Warner's fumbling 14 times and throwing 11 interceptions with only four touchdowns in those eight games have cracked his confidence, he conceals it behind his disarming smile.

"I feel like I can play as well as anybody in this league," Warner said. "I can still play this game. I don't plan on being average."

Thing is, average would be an improvement.

One trait players like in their quarterback: accountability. They respect a guy who accepts criticism when warranted and shares praise when deserved. But in a recent conversation, this is as close as Warner came to acknowledging he performed...
        -08-22-2004, 12:40 PM
      • talkstoangels61
        Warner lighting it up!
        by talkstoangels61
        For everyone who thought Warner was washed up needs to watch KW just having a hay day against the ****** He looks great! can't help it I have always believed that MM should have been canned instead of KW! I love MB but, he is NO KW!
        -09-10-2006, 03:05 PM
      • RamWraith
        In memory of Warner
        by RamWraith
        St. Louis' local paper put together a nice slide show of our hero.

Kurt memories
        -06-02-2004, 08:55 AM
      • HornIt
        Balzer: Some Parts on Warner Story Not Generally Known
        by HornIt
        Some Parts on Warner Story Not Generally Known
        By Howard Balzer Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The improbable tale of the guy who went from a bagger in a grocery store to Super Bowl MVP, disappeared from view and reemerged in the Super Bowl again, has its roots in the confidence of former Rams coach Dick Vermeil, who overruled his offensive coordinator to keep Warner on the roster in 1998.

It is one of the rarely told stories of how Warner even earned a job in Vermeil's second season as the Rams' coach.

Vermeil was hired by the Rams in 1997, and brought Jerry Rhome with him as offensive coordinator. As most coaches do, they have players they like to bring with them to new stops on the coaching trail. So it was that Rhome suggested the Rams sign lefthanded quarterback Will Furrer to compete for the No. 3 job on the roster.

Furrer played well in a pre-season game against Dallas, and beat out Jamie Martin for the job. It's interesting to note that Martin was still in the league in 2008, while Furrer has been long gone.

The following year is where this story grows intriguing. Rhome wasn't even present for a December tryout in 1997 for Warner, who had been excelling for the Arena Football League's Iowa Barnstormers.

Al Lugenbill, head coach of the Amsterdam Admirals in the NFL's Europe league, wanted Warner for his team. But he needed an NFL team to sign him and allocate him. Other teams had varying degrees of interest, but it was the Rams that signed him a few days after Christmas because personnel director Charley Armey liked what he had seen.

Warner went overseas and won the job in a close competition with Jake Delhomme, then with the New Orleans Saints. When he arrived for Rams training camp in July, he was competing with ... drum roll, please, ... Will Furrer. Warner showed some moxie and Vermeil recalled liking what he had seen. But there was the Rhome factor to overcome.

As camp ended, Rhome pushed for Furrer to get the job again. But Vermeil wasn't convinced this time. He had the backing of other assistants, including Mike White, and the choice was made to cut Furrer and keep Warner.

Where would Warner would be today had that decision not been made? No one can really say. But it seems obvious Warner wouldn't be where is today.

The Rams were a bad football team in 1998. They were 4-12, and there were those that believed the game had passed Vermeil by. Because of injuries to Tony Banks and Steve Bono, Warner played in the season finale against San Francisco and was a non-descript 4-for-11 for 39 yards.

Immediately after the season ended, Rhome was fired and Mike Martz was hired as offensive coordinator. So little did Martz know of Warner that when the quarterback went to Martz's office to introduce himself,...
        -01-27-2009, 08:50 PM
      Working...
      X